What's new

It's Been Twenty Years Since

Shanester

Patron
The last time I stepped in an org was in 1992 (except for Delphi which was Alumni Weekend in 2007 but I'm not sure if that counts). But I didn't completely stop believing until -- well, 2007, actually. And then I just didn't care. Until recently, that is.

I was born into Scientology. My parents were on staff at Delphi where I went to school and, upon graduation, joined staff myself. Years at Delphi were 1982 to 1991. I was comm-ev'd off Delphi staff (although I was later fully forgiven in a mid-90s amnesty which I found out about in 2005, and which, I can sarcastically assure you, was a huge relief to me).

I was on course at the Portland, Oregon Celebrity Center (on Salmon Street back in the day). One day in 1992 I arrived for course and instead spent seven hours in that obnoxious half-room under the stairs being recruited for the Sea Org (for the fifth time). After I finally got the hell out of that recruitment session (without signing anything) I never returned -- and never looked back, until now.

I realized recently that CoS still considers me a Scientologist, offline. How funny is that? All these years their mail has been going to my parents' house where it promptly went into the recycling, and my parents never told me (they are out, also).

I have extremely mixed feelings about Delphi. Going to school there was overall a very positive experience. Working there was a horrible nightmare. In many respects it was the education I received at Delphi that gave me the insight to realize that Scientology was a load of crap, even if that same education did not give me the skill or courage to do anything about it.

Not sure where I would like to go with this sudden introspective stage I feel compelled to undertake. If there are any ex-Scn Delphi kids, I would definitely like to connect with them.

Last edited:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
The last time I stepped in an org was in 1992 (except for Delphi which was Alumni Weekend in 2006 but I'm not sure if that counts). But I didn't completely stop believing until -- well, 2006, actually. And then I just didn't care. Until recently, that is.

I was born into Scientology. My parents were on staff at Delphi where I went to school and, upon graduation, joined staff myself. Years at Delphi were 1982 to 1991. I was comm-ev'd off Delphi staff (although I was later fully forgiven in a mid-90s amnesty which I found out about in 2005, and which, I can sarcastically assure you, was a huge relief to me).

I was on course at the Portland, Oregon Celebrity Center (on Salmon Street back in the day). One day in 1992 I arrived for course and instead spent seven hours in that obnoxious half-room under the stairs being recruited for the Sea Org (for the fifth time). After I finally got the hell out of that recruitment session (without signing anything) I never returned -- and never looked back, until now.

I realized recently that CoS still considers me a Scientologist, offline. How funny is that? All these years their mail has been going to my parents' house where it promptly went into the recycling, and my parents never told me (they are out, also).

I have extremely mixed feelings about Delphi. Going to school there was overall a very positive experience. Working there was a horrible nightmare. In many respects it was the education I received at Delphi that gave me the insight to realize that Scientology was a load of crap, even if that same education did not give me the skill or courage to do anything about it.

Not sure where I would like to go with this sudden introspective stage I feel compelled to undertake. If there are any ex-Scn Delphi kids, I would definitely like to connect with them.

Good first post. Best of luck on your journey out. Keep writing and talking it will be interesting.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Welcome Shanester.

Were you at Ptl Delphi? Sounds like it from your post. I did not know anyone from Delphi except I was up there in 96 when Mary Jane had her car accident. I audited Butch after that for a few days.

Sorry I don't know anyone from up that way, but I hope you find some old and new friends here!

Cheers!!! :cheers:

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Shanester :wave: and :welcome:. I think everyone alive goes through phases of nostalgia, wanting to reconnect with something in the past, maybe to find some closure, go full circle, resolve something, whatever. I've done it myself a few times, and I was never a scno, :lol: So welcome to the human psyche - meant as a compliment. :yes: Explore your past, find some old pals from Delphi - I hope they are out too. You can share your stories here. :drama: We love hearing them. You have come to a good place. :thumbsup:

Shanester

Patron
Welcome Shanester.

Were you at Ptl Delphi? Sounds like it from your post. I did not know anyone from Delphi except I was up there in 96 when Mary Jane had her car accident. I audited Butch after that for a few days.

Sorry I don't know anyone from up that way, but I hope you find some old and new friends here!

Cheers!!! :cheers:

Wow, what a time that was. R.I.P. Mary Jane. She was always so nice (to me) yet displayed a quick wit and an occasional wicked sense of humor.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Wow, what a time that was. R.I.P. Mary Jane. She was always so nice (to me) yet displayed a quick wit and an occasional wicked sense of humor.

I never got to meet her. Butch was very nice. And that was where I also met their daughter, Becky, who had come out from CMO CW when Mary Jane died. Then when I was in training at Flag, Becky was there and we kind of became friends (as much as Sea Org members can be friends).

Gib

Crusader
The last time I stepped in an org was in 1992 (except for Delphi which was Alumni Weekend in 2006 but I'm not sure if that counts). But I didn't completely stop believing until -- well, 2006, actually. And then I just didn't care. Until recently, that is.

here's some history on Delphi. The poster is Blownforgood or Marc Headley. Marc also wrote a book called Blown for Good.

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?p=293745

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron
Welcome to ESMB Shanester. It is good to see a new person here now and again. The reference to the OCMB post above by Blown for Good should give you some of the information you want.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome to the board, Shanester.

Many people who find their way here find it very beneficial to discuss their Scn experience with others who have gone through the same thing. It's quite enlightening to find out that experiences you thought only you had, (and of course it was all your fault), also happened to other people in orgs all over the world.

You might know Jori Sullivan?

Shanester

Patron
Welcome to the board, Shanester.

Many people who find their way here find it very beneficial to discuss their Scn experience with others who have gone through the same thing. It's quite enlightening to find out that experiences you thought only you had, (and of course it was all your fault), also happened to other people in orgs all over the world.

You might know Jori Sullivan?

Jori's name rings a bell. I believe she was a lower or middle school student around the time I left. I've already connected with another alumnus and am reading that story. Your advice is good; thanks for sharing :)

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
:wave: Nice to meet you Shanester! Like you, I've been away from Scientology for a long time, not caring about it but somehow thinking the planet was being cleared... Great place for introspection here, and to learn from others what is REALLY going on with the Co$ these days, and what REALLY happened in the past. I look forward to more of your enthralling story on your thread - Scientology A Half Life.

JustSheila

Crusader
The last time I stepped in an org was in 1992 (except for Delphi which was Alumni Weekend in 2007 but I'm not sure if that counts). But I didn't completely stop believing until -- well, 2007, actually. And then I just didn't care. Until recently, that is...

:welcome: to ESMB, Shanester! :bighug: