What's new

Another forced disconnection

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
The money was stolen from fellow staff-members, not from the organization. That is pretty low. She must have been a mess over it.

Paul

Still, only because she didn't send it uplines. Money stolen (defrauded, extorted, purloined) from 'staff' *or* public for the 'Church' is SOP.

Zinj

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Still, only because she didn't send it uplines. Money stolen (defrauded, extorted, purloined) from 'staff' *or* public for the 'Church' is SOP.

Zinj

I assume she stole the money for her own personal use. She worked in HCO: she wouldn't have had a money stat she was being pressured to get up.

Paul

b ginn

Patron
When you join the SO, one of the papers that you sign is authorizing them to open your mail.

All personal mail is always opened.

I never received a personal letter that was unopened.

I guess they check for PTS situations? Who knows?

I had a PTS situation with my dads parents. I tried to fix it before they passed away. I never was able to. The Dir comm for CCI was opening the letters. Apparently my grandparents kept sending me money, which was being stolen. And the letters were thrown away and I never saw them. In my mind, they never wrote to me. In their mind, I was ungrateful and greedy cause I took their money and never even bothered to mention it or thank them.

To make matters worse, it was the girl I mentioned in another thread who tried to kill herself. I ended up having to audit her and I pulled these O/Ws on her. She had hidden the letters behind a filing cabinet in HCO. After session, I went and got them. There were HUNDREDS of letters from all kinds of people to different staff, including from my grandparents.

It was too late for me to fix it with my grandparents.

That really sucked.

----

Keep sending letters in. Persist. Just remember they may not be seen. But I beleive persistence pays off.

In a way, a Similar thing happened with me when I was away from my org for 3 months doing the LA religious freedom :eyeroll: crusade in 1986. I was staying at the Manor Hotel (in the basement garage with about 100 other volunteers). I would get my staff pay HCO mailpacked to LA and like usual most of the time it wasn't very much $5 - $20 (in cash), then I didn't get any for a few weeks, I queried my org who said they had been having some good weeks and I should have gotten $100+ for a couple of weeks, stab me with a brick :ohmy:, I was ripped off and where ever the mailpack was received in LA didn't know nothin' :duh: .
That was one more thing on the list of, gee... there are criminal staff members. The mail pack I/C was probably drooling everytime a mail pack came in.

b ginn

SarahNW

Patron
Well, that's pretty sick behavior from staff member to staff member, and I'm certainly not trying to put their actions in a good light, but when everyone's making barely enough money to buy the basics and necessities, the temptation increases. If the CoS paid SO and staff members a decent, living wage, I'm willing to bet those incidents would decrease dramatically.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Well, that's pretty sick behavior from staff member to staff member, and I'm certainly not trying to put their actions in a good light, but when everyone's making barely enough money to buy the basics and necessities, the temptation increases. If the CoS paid SO and staff members a decent, living wage, I'm willing to bet those incidents would decrease dramatically.

Probably not - and no that's not a dig at Scientology or the people in it. There is a reason why the USPS discourages sending cash in the mail - it is way too tempting.

I have worked a couple of times as a temp at the USPS (doing grunt work...) and part of the orientation is a half day of explaining what will happen to you if the Postal Cops catch you taking any mail - and it is draconian. All the time you work in a postal facility you are under surveillance.

Working at the post office may be boring but the pay is OK and the benefits are very good and there is great job security.

And, despite severe penalties, good pay and benefits - people still steal. And they go to jail. Ludicrous but true.

Div6

Crusader
In a way, a Similar thing happened with me when I was away from my org for 3 months doing the LA religious freedom :eyeroll: crusade in 1986. I was staying at the Manor Hotel (in the basement garage with about 100 other volunteers). I would get my staff pay HCO mailpacked to LA and like usual most of the time it wasn't very much $5 - $20 (in cash), then I didn't get any for a few weeks, I queried my org who said they had been having some good weeks and I should have gotten $100+ for a couple of weeks, stab me with a brick :ohmy:, I was ripped off and where ever the mailpack was received in LA didn't know nothin' :duh: .
That was one more thing on the list of, gee... there are criminal staff members. The mail pack I/C was probably drooling everytime a mail pack came in.

b ginn

That is just utter treason...

But then, the SO creates their own conditions...

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill

I'm sure you're right.

It's probably like other venues and areas of society. Any place where there are poor and oppressed people- there's more crime.

There're always honorable poor people around- but you might have more people who, if things were better and they weren't so desparate-who, when push comes to shove, will do something wrong.

SarahNW

Patron
Probably not - and no that's not a dig at Scientology or the people in it. There is a reason why the USPS discourages sending cash in the mail - it is way too tempting.

I have worked a couple of times as a temp at the USPS (doing grunt work...) and part of the orientation is a half day of explaining what will happen to you if the Postal Cops catch you taking any mail - and it is draconian. All the time you work in a postal facility you are under surveillance.

Working at the post office may be boring but the pay is OK and the benefits are very good and there is great job security.

And, despite severe penalties, good pay and benefits - people still steal. And they go to jail. Ludicrous but true.

Oh, certainly no one's arguing that. I completely agree! I just think that, in the same way that theft and crime are demonstrably higher in impovershed areas, that this situation would *lessen* (not disappear - like you said, people are people) given good working and living conditions, and a proper living wage. When you have a group of people who are barely getting paid enough to buy a daily snack, the temptation increases.

Er... basically what Fluffy said.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Oh, certainly no one's arguing that. I completely agree! I just think that, in the same way that theft and crime are demonstrably higher in impovershed areas, that this situation would *lessen* (not disappear - like you said, people are people) given good working and living conditions, and a proper living wage. When you have a group of people who are barely getting paid enough to buy a daily snack, the temptation increases.

Er... basically what Fluffy said.

Jasmine, the girl who stole the money, made decent enought money at CCI to pay for the things that she needed without having to steal from others.

It was a compulsion, not being done out of urgency of a need for money.

Div6

Crusader
Jasmine, the girl who stole the money, made decent enought money at CCI to pay for the things that she needed without having to steal from others.

Making the Able more Able....:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill

Ah!

Well, that's interesting.

True, not everybody who steals is poor or disenfranchised.

Probably get more of that in communities and areas where they are, but, yeah, other phenomena does occur.

Thetans do the darndest things!

SarahNW

Patron

Hmmm... guess I'm out of theories. :duh:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Maybe I'm just all gooey today from reading Bea's stories or maybe it's the thought of the Xmas gift list I am trying to do...I am feeling really down about this disconnection today.

It's so fucking arbritary, paranoid and destructive.

Maybe the tears are because I knew what would happen if I opened my mouth and so I brought it into reality. That looming threat of disconnection if you disagree...

My comfort is that to have not stood by my integrity would make it even harder for me in the long run. Between a rock and a hard place.... :bigcry:

Div6

Crusader
Maybe I'm just all gooey today from reading Bea's stories or maybe it's the thought of the Xmas gift list I am trying to do...I am feeling really down about this disconnection today.

It's so fucking arbritary, paranoid and destructive.

Maybe the tears are because I knew what would happen if I opened my mouth and so I brought it into reality. That looming threat of disconnection if you disagree...

My comfort is that to have not stood by my integrity would make it even harder for me in the long run. Between a rock and a hard place.... :bigcry:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :console: :console:

You are not alone.

Div6

Crusader
Thankyou....I needed that.
That's why I am posting this very personal stuff too. For those who are not speaking yet, they are not alone either.

I am curious, at some point to hear more of your story. I was Cl V org staff for 15 years myself. Left in the early - mid 90's. It seems it has really degraded bad recently. I was clear when I left....have done most of my "OT" levels in the independant field.....and while it was time consuming, I didn't have to give up my life to do them...or dis-connect from anyone.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I am curious, at some point to hear more of your story. I was Cl V org staff for 15 years myself. Left in the early - mid 90's. It seems it has really degraded bad recently. I was clear when I left....have done most of my "OT" levels in the independant field.....and while it was time consuming, I didn't have to give up my life to do them...or dis-connect from anyone.

What would you like to know? I haven't posted a great deal of detail so far on my story thread. Now I guess there isn't any real reason to hold back. :)

Div6

Crusader
What would you like to know? I haven't posted a great deal of detail so far on my story thread. Now I guess there isn't any real reason to hold back. :)

I find your opening statement
"I knew when I started reading critic sites again and more importantly - posting - that there was a very high probability that a family member currently on lines would be faced with the disconnection decision." tinged with a sad kind of prescience.

"Again" implies earlier readings of critical sites. Were you dissuaded from that somehow?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat

Funny though. People still do it.

One time when I sold an item on eBay I got cash sent to me from the Bahamas. Amazing the person would pay with cash, especially from out of the country, amazing I actually got it, amazing I was actually honest enough to send her what she paid for. :eyeroll: