What's new

ASHO Renovation 1996

Hello everyone!

I was never allowed full access to $cientology because I had done LSD once, however, I was contracted to PAC renovations to build ASHO.

I basically fabricated, or oversaw the fabrication of almost every piece of duct work from the third floor down as well as being in charge of putting the file room together in the basement.

Pay was basically room and board and after the grand opening, I attended ASHO completing my Student Hat and Training TR's. I can't recall at the moment, but I do remember during my Student Hat, where LRH spoke about creating, and how as a writer, he'd simply just "Keep on creating". I think it was about this time that several red flags went up and shortly after, I found that many of his writings could be taken one of two ways depending on which definition one choose. A. Spritual, or B. Physical, both in context being true which I recall created some confusion for me.

Anyway, I don't claim to be a $cientolgist and I'm glad I didn't go any further. As my Dad said, grab the good, and dump the rest. That's about what I did. I've seen some amazing things as ASHO and met some people that were just as amazing.

Is there anyone else who helped build ASHO?

Jeff

Thought I might add a photo of me and my brother :) I'm the one on the right. :whistling:

It looks like you can click on the thumbnail and it will expand for a better view.

Attachments

• Jim and Jeff.jpg
    Jim and Jeff.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 289

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hello everyone!

I was never allowed full access to $cientology because I had done LSD once, however, I was contracted to PAC renovations to build ASHO.

I basically fabricated, or oversaw the fabrication of almost every piece of duct work from the third floor down as well as being in charge of putting the file room together in the basement.

Pay was basically room and board and after the grand opening, I attended ASHO completing my Student Hat and Training TR's. I can't recall at the moment, but I do remember during my Student Hat, where LRH spoke about creating, and how as a writer, he'd simply just "Keep on creating". I think it was about this time that several red flags went up and shortly after, I found that many of his writings could be taken one of two ways depending on which definition one choose. A. Spritual, or B. Physical, both in context being true which I recall created some confusion for me.

Anyway, I don't claim to be a $cientolgist and I'm glad I didn't go any further. As my Dad said, grab the good, and dump the rest. That's about what I did. I've seen some amazing things as ASHO and met some people that were just as amazing.

Is there anyone else who helped build ASHO?

Jeff

I was on the PAC RPF Dec '95 to Jun 96 and may have done a bit around the edges, but don't remember spending much time there.

Paul

Thanks for your reply Paul.

I'm a bit hazy around the edges today, but when we were finished with ASHO, we set up scaffolding across the street (I believe it was the NE corner of L Ron Hubbard drive and Fountain). BTW, I was there when they got approval to rename it)

Was that the Sea Org on the Corner? Bridge Publications was next to it on Fountain.

That's cool Iknowtoo much! I take it you were part of it too?

Man, that was crazy toward the end! I can't recall exactly, but I think we were up either 7 or 8 days without any sleep! I remember getting Vitamin B shots i the bee-hind to keep up going! :melodramatic:

Yeah, it was crazy :D

It was an experience though! One I'll never forget :eyeroll:

I had a couple of good friends, one was a tall, stocky Red Headed guy that did electrical. (Sea Org) Can't remember his name.

Another was a guy named Daniel (contract) who was French Canadian and then there was a gal I really liked named Deborah(contract). Had a teenage son that she sent into the Sea Org. We all stayed in a rental house just off New Hampshire I think.

Any of us ring a bell? Ohh, and the lead superintendent. Can't recall his name either, but a real fair guy.

Jeff

Pixie

Crusader
Thought I might add a photo of me and my brother :) I'm the one on the right. :whistling:

It looks like you can click on the thumbnail and it will expand for a better view.

Welcome StoveBolts.. :welcome2: Interesting photo! :yes: Hope you enjoy yourself here and make some friends. :thumbsup:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thanks for your reply Paul.

I'm a bit hazy around the edges today, but when we were finished with ASHO, we set up scaffolding across the street (I believe it was the NE corner of L Ron Hubbard drive and Fountain). BTW, I was there when they got approval to rename it)

Was that the Sea Org on the Corner? Bridge Publications was next to it on Fountain.

AOLA is on the NE corner of Fountain/L. Ron Hubbard Way. That is an SO org, yes. The whole blue complex is pretty much SO.

Paul

Hey Paul,
Ohh goodness, you may be right on the photo. I was thinking it was taken at the LA org :duh: Wow, what a blast from the past. I honestly don't really know why I'm here on this forum lol. Maybe it's to help me piece my life back together with a comprhensive time line. lol

Are you still in LA?

Jeff

Fancy

Patron Meritorious
Was Dan an auditor trainee? That is a common name.

Barb

Yeah, it was crazy :D

It was an experience though! One I'll never forget :eyeroll:

I had a couple of good friends, one was a tall, stocky Red Headed guy that did electrical. (Sea Org) Can't remember his name.

Another was a guy named Daniel (contract) who was French Canadian and then there was a gal I really liked named Deborah(contract). Had a teenage son that she sent into the Sea Org. We all stayed in a rental house just off New Hampshire I think.

Any of us ring a bell? Ohh, and the lead superintendent. Can't recall his name either, but a real fair guy.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Paul and others!

Wow, 20 years in L.A. I take it you were in $cientology the whole time?

Barb,
Thanks for asking and yes, Dan is a common name. Daniel, (sounds like Dan-yeel) was also contracted to help with ASHO and I believe he was from Ontario. We all wanted to be Auditor Trainees lol. Anyway, Dan-yeel was on the painting crew. He was a short, dark French Canadian with dark short curly brown hair who always wore a fanny pack and spoke broken english. He was my best friend; I really miss him and often wonder what he’s up to.

It’s funny, living in the ‘house’ that we all shared, we really only had a nook with room enough for a bed and a sheet to keep it somewhat private between ‘rooms’. Daniel had a purple robe that he used to get teased about and when he left to go back home, I inherited the robe which I still have to this day.

After reading what others are posting on this site, I’m starting to get the sense that I’m one of the lucky ones in that I was never fully a part of Scientology and as I was leaving Scientology, some of the things people said to me are becoming clearer.

I got into Scientology because having been brought up partially in the foster care system, and partially in institutions and group homes, I had gained an interest in psychiatry, or rather, why we did the things we did and through my experiences, I wanted to help others as it was always kind of a natural thing for people to come to me for advice, my opinion or just an ear that would listen. A really long story cut short, my first marriage was very dysfunctional and it ended in divorce with our children placed in foster care.

That’s about when I first heard of Scientology. I knew that my kids would get screwed up in the system, and Scientology seemed to be the answer. So, off to ASHO I go to donate my time in exchange for training. It all sounded so good.

My Student Hat took a couple of months to complete and I think I’ve got words underlined in my Mac Millians on just about every other page lol. Wow, over and over and over I listened to LRH, after all, I was only there once, and I wanted to get all of it the first time and as LRH said, times over equal certainty.

A couple of red flags went up when one of the Sea Org members that was supposedly in charge of me got to talking one day about science fiction and he started talking about how it would be nice to rule a planet. Obviously, I thought it was utter nonsense and I actually offended him! He was serious. But I think what really started to get me to think about what I was getting into was when I was listening to LRH in his Student Hat lectures and he came to the part about him creating as a writer. He said something t the effect, (pardont he quotes, it’s simply to denote what I think he said, or rather, what I heard him say.) “As a writer, I create. When asked about something, I don’t need to know, I just keep making it up.” Something like that anyway, and I got the idea that as a writer, LRH was just tooling me around. The idea was concreted when I read a paragraph, and within context, the paragraph could have been equally taken as spiritual or physical. I recall that the spiritual aspect sent a shiver down my spine and something within me felt cold and dark. I asked the SUP about the paragraph, and she just smiled and gave me a little wink. She would give no clarity on the matter.

Anyway, I got through my Student hat and went into TR’s where I sat for an hour with my hands on my lap, not even allowed to blink. Then, out to the tent, “Do you hear me now”? lol.

At the lower levels, I think that Scientology has a lot to offer humanity, but I agree, they use some pretty dark methods to get you to do what they want. I recall when the recruiters were out and about and said something like, “If you don’t purchase this, it’s an overt.” In total disregard for how one might afford the package. Another high pressure tactic was when they tried to get you to sign up. I actually wanted to become a member, but because I had done LSD once in my life, I was rejected.

I heard another person on the site talk about taking LSD and he said that he was a member. Can somebody clarify that for me?

Well, sorry for the book here, but thanks for listening.

Jeff

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reply Paul and others!

Wow, 20 years in L.A. I take it you were in $cientology the whole time?

I was in the SO from 1986 to 1996. I worked for Scn companies in LA from 1996 to 2003, but didn't really do the churchie thing as I was designated a freeloader and not really in good standing with the CofS. I called myself a Freezoner--and thus a Scientologist of sorts--until maybe a year ago. It wasn't a definite shift, just a gradual drift away from the classification.

Paul

DWeaver

Jeff[/QUOTE]
I heard another person on the site talk about taking LSD and he said that he was a member. Can somebody clarify that for me?

While on renos at ASHO during the move from Temple St. to Berendo the word on decks was that one could enlist in the s.o.with a drug history but after a specified date, no LSD allowed.

Last edited: