What's new

Can anyone assist?

exthetan

Patron
I am currently trying to find out if John Bell has passed away. John used to live with the Greenburgs years ago in Altadena. Later he moved to Long Beach California where he was when he last called me 12 months ago. At that time he was not in good health but he would usually call me every fews months to keep in touch. It has now been a year since he last spoke and all my emails have gone unanswered. Also his last known mobile number is disconnected.

I don't know if anyone on this board has been in contact with John but if someone knows his address and could check on him and let me know if he is OK I would be very grateful. As I live down under it is not possible for me to check in on him myself.

Cheers

Purple Rain

Crusader
I am currently trying to find out if John Bell has passed away. John used to live with the Greenburgs years ago in Altadena. Later he moved to Long Beach California where he was when he last called me 12 months ago. At that time he was not in good health but he would usually call me every fews months to keep in touch. It has now been a year since he last spoke and all my emails have gone unanswered. Also his last known mobile number is disconnected.

I don't know if anyone on this board has been in contact with John but if someone knows his address and could check on him and let me know if he is OK I would be very grateful. As I live down under it is not possible for me to check in on him myself.

Cheers

How awful for you! I truly hope someone can help. :(

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Hi exthetan, I did a bit of research to help you out on this, and sent you a private message with some questions that will help zero in on locating your friend. I need to clarify some details, especially because there are a number of John Bells who did Scientology services over the years. http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/j/john-bell.html

I look forward to your reply to the PM. Thanks

~ Mary McConnell

AnonyMary

Since exthetan and I have been corresponding on this privately, I just thought I would post an update here.

Because researching things is what I do, I try to help others who post that they are seeking old friends or loved ones from the past, especially when contact has been lost or severed because of involvement in Scientology. I understand how frustrating it can for the average person be in searching the internet amid a multitude of search results that can pop up on searching a relatively common name. So I offer to help when I come across a request. For the most part, what I find brings good news. But then there are the times when I become the bearer of sad news. Thus was the case in helping exthetan locate his long time friend John Bell, former scientologist from New Zealand.

One of our own, John Hamilton Bell aka John Bell, passed away on Dec 4, 2014 at Kaiser Hospital Harbour City, Los Angeles, CA.
http://notices.nzherald.co.nz/obituaries/nzherald-nz/obituary.aspx?pid=173400199

I so wished I could have found good news on this. :(

There is still the mystery of what he died from. Perhaps someone reading this in the future will be able to provide the details, as I was not able to find out for exthetan. What is known is that, in the last year of his life, John was diagnosed with some kind of blood disorder, possibly Leukemia. Elsewhere, I came across a comment that John had died of cancer but this was not first hand information.

With Leukemia being a form of cancer, this may well be the cause.

In any event, his imminent death was not anticipated. Some of those who were in contact with him on a fairly regular basis had no idea that he'd been seriously ill and had died. This includes exthetan and another local friend ( not an ex scientologist) who wrote a very kind condolence letter to the family which helped me determine that this was the obituary of exthetan's friend, John Bell.
http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/nzherald-nz/john-hamilton-bell-condolences/173400199?cid=full

Anyone wishing to can post a condolence at the link above. Someone paid to keep John's Legacy page open permanently.

John Bell had a twin brother, George Bell who lives in New Zealand. George is an active scientologist. I have no idea how they worked things out on that but the short obituary for John makes it clear he will be missed by his brother other remaining relatives back in NZ. There is no public evidence that John ever spoke out publicly against Scientology. Perhaps they averted disconnection because of this. I don't know

John lived in CA for many years, and settled down in a place of his own in Long Beach some years ago. He had moved on from Scientology. A success story, for sure.

"He was well loved by those who knew him and I never heard anyone say anything negative about him. If the test of ones life is to leave the world better for your having lived then he met that standard."

I'm so sorry for exthetan's loss and my having to be the bearer of that news.

RIP, John.

( I'll post this in the memorial thread as well. )

exthetan

Patron
A big thank you goes to Mary for all her help and research and kind words. John was a valued friend and at least I now have closure. I am attaching a photo taken in Las Vegas when we last met.

Kindest regards

Exthetan

Attachments

• P1090993.jpg
    P1090993.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 38

AnonyMary

A big thank you goes to Mary for all her help and research and kind words. John was a valued friend and at least I now have closure. I am attaching a photo taken in Las Vegas when we last met.

Kindest regards

Exthetan

You're very welcome, exthetan. Thank you for sharing the photo of John :) I didn't realize that you two were able to meet up and spend some time together in recent times. That must have been a real treat for the both of you. May your memories bring you comfort in this loss.

Mary