What's new

Celeb Scieo Greta Van Susteren's Psychiatrist sister's take on the CoS

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
I have always figured Greta is OSA. And this would authorize her to communicate with so-called SP's, such as her psych sister.

But maybe something else is going on here.

Near the end of that Gawker article is this sentence, "Greta lent her support to [her sister] Lise's Senate campaign and gave $2,100." Note: the Gawker article has been copied to the "next" post.

If Greta really did give her sister campaign money, then either:

1) Greta's not a real scilon.
2) Her sister Lise is not a real psych.
3) Blood really is thicker than water.

Take your pick.

Last edited:
-qoute-
"A tipster passed along something we didn't know: Noted Scientologist Greta van Susteren's sister is a psychiatrist. Or, as Greta's religion would have it, a practitioner of the "industry of death," a "fraud," a drug-peddler, and a "rapist." We asked her what she thought of her sister's curious views.

Lise van Susteren lives in Bethesda, Md. That's her, with Greta, in 2005. She is an assistant professor of psychiatry at Georgetown University and completed her residency at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, a mental institution in Washington, D.C. She's a board-certified forensic psychiatrist and has served on the staff of mental health centers in Alexandria and Fairfax, Va. She was a consultant to the CIA, where she developed psychological profiles of world leaders. In 2006, she launched a failed Senate bid in Maryland.

Lise is no dabbler: She has a deep and varied career in psychiatry. Last month, she wrote in the Huffington Post that mental health professionals must do more to assess and redress the psychiatric effects of dislocation due to climate change.

Her sister Greta, on the other hand, is a member and underwriter of an organization whose leader David Miscavige lauds its "campaign for the global obliteration of psychiatry" and uses terms like "lethal assault," "plague," and "virus of abberation" when discussing his aim of "breaking the dark spell cast across earth" by people like Lise van Susteren. As of 1998, Greta had given at least $100,000 to Scientology; Miscavige's mother was the accountant at the law firm Greta ran with her husband John Coale. She and Coale own a home in Clearwater, Fla., Scientology's spiritual headquarters.

We called Lise to ask her about Greta's views. "These are private matters," she said. "I don't ever discuss them. The reality is, I don't know anything about Scientology's current campaigns. I know that in the past there were a few people who were very vocal about psychiatry, but I don't know enough to reasonably comment."

A few very vocal people is a vast understatement. We recommend Lise watch this video, of Miscavige at Scientology's New Year's celebration in 2006, to get a refresher. She could also go to Scientology's web site to learn about how her sister's religion regards psychiatry and psychology as "the stepchildren of...Hitler and the Nazis," and formed "the philosophical basis for the wholesale slaughter of human beings in...World War II." She might take special interest in that last bit, seeing as how her Jewish mother-in-law survived a German labor camp during the Holocaust by passing as a Catholic.

Greta and Lise don't seem to be estranged; Greta lent her support to Lise's Senate campaign and gave $2,100. We wonder what Miscavige thinks of one of his premier celebrity ambassadors palling around with a "psych."

Read More: Scientology, Greta Van Susteren, Lise van susteren, Psychiatry, Fox News, Family, Top "
|

Feral

Rogue male
The reality is, I don't know anything about Scientology's current campaigns. I know that in the past there were a few people who were very vocal about psychiatry, but I don't know enough to reasonably comment."

This stuck out to me. After having met some psychs I discovered the 'massive onslaught' of Scientology exposing and closing down psychiatry has not been noticed by that profession.:confused2:

Scientology is so small and ineffective that the psychs haven't particularly suffered from the campaign apart from the above type comment.

So much for the great psych busters, looks like it's just another scam to get more money from the faithful.:yes:

Last edited:

DCAnon

Silver Meritorious Patron
Well the best know of them exported almost the whole of the lower levels of the tech INTO his own brand of psychology which now is accepted practice in that community. (with the assistance of the former top technical person in scientology, David Mayo)

http://www.traumarelief.org/Gerbode.html

http://www.gerbode.net/

http://www.tir.org/metapsy/jom/003_intro.html

How did he feel about being labelled an enemy of humanity, a nazi, and a terrorist? Also, wonder if they ever asked him to donate to the Psychiatry Industry of Death stuff, lol.

On May 2, 1994, Helena Kobrin, counsel for the Church of Scientology, was ordered to pay sanctions in the total sum of $17,775 for filing a frivolous complaint in federal court. The case is entitled Religious Technology Center, Inc. v. Frank Gerbode, and is reported in the RICO Business Disputes Guide published by Commerce Clearing House, Inc. The citation is Religious Technology Center, Inc. v. Frank Gerbode

Guess it wasn't a loving relationship he had with the CoS.

He left psychiatry for Scientology in the 1970s and for several years was the mission holder of the Palo Alto mission.

Doesn't look like he was a practicing psychiatrist while he was in the CoS.

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
How did he feel about being labelled an enemy of humanity, a nazi, and a terrorist? Also, wonder if they ever asked him to donate to the Psychiatry Industry of Death stuff, lol.

Guess it wasn't a loving relationship he had with the CoS.

Doesn't look like he was a practicing psychiatrist while he was in the CoS.

That whole "industry of death" stuff is after his time.

Hubbard admits that he himself was a psychiatrist on the "Whole Track".

Scientology going after psychiatry like it does today is a major diversion from its intended purpose, and more likely done to keep people from looking at what miscavage is doing to the church.

I say let psychiatry live or die on its results and scientology too.

GreyLensman

This stuck out to me. Having met some psychs I found the 'massive onslaught' of Scientology exposing and closing down psychiatry has not been noticed by that profession.:confused2:

Scientology is so small and ineffective that the psychs haven't particularly suffered from the campaign apart from the above type comment.

So much for the great psych busters, looks like it's just another scam to get more money from the faithful.:yes:

I wouldn't be surprised that the "HUGE IMPACT" of Scientology on the psychiatric profession was all bullshit, and psychiatry actually never noticed they were being attacked...

DCAnon

I wouldn't be surprised that the "HUGE IMPACT" of Scientology on the psychiatric profession was all bullshit, and psychiatry actually never noticed they were being attacked...

I'll throw in my experience with friends in the mental health profession and our APA event last year and say they're mostly unaware of the CCHR's existance and when they DO know about it, they just dismiss it as part of a cult.

Greta van Susteren's sister is a psychiatrist, how does that get explained away

http://gawker.com/5272012/what-does-greta-van-susterens-psychiatrist-sister-think-of-scientology

A tipster passed along something we didn't know: Noted Scientologist Greta van Susteren's sister is a psychiatrist. Or, as Greta's religion would have it, a practitioner of the "industry of death," a "fraud," a drug-peddler, and a "rapist." We asked her what she thought of her sister's curious views.

Lise van Susteren lives in Bethesda, Md. That's her, with Greta, in 2005. She is an assistant professor of psychiatry at Georgetown University and completed her residency at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, a mental institution in Washington, D.C. She's a board-certified forensic psychiatrist and has served on the staff of mental health centers in Alexandria and Fairfax, Va. She was a consultant to the CIA, where she developed psychological profiles of world leaders. In 2006, she launched a failed Senate bid in Maryland.

Lise is no dabbler: She has a deep and varied career in psychiatry. Last month, she wrote in the Huffington Post that mental health professionals must do more to assess and redress the psychiatric effects of dislocation due to climate change.

Her sister Greta, on the other hand, is a member and underwriter of an organization whose leader David Miscavige lauds its "campaign for the global obliteration of psychiatry" and uses terms like "lethal assault," "plague," and "virus of abberation" when discussing his aim of "breaking the dark spell cast across earth" by people like Lise van Susteren. As of 1998, Greta had given at least $100,000 to Scientology; Miscavige's mother was the accountant at the law firm Greta ran with her husband John Coale. She and Coale own a home in Clearwater, Fla., Scientology's spiritual headquarters.

We called Lise to ask her about Greta's views. "These are private matters," she said. "I don't ever discuss them. The reality is, I don't know anything about Scientology's current campaigns. I know that in the past there were a few people who were very vocal about psychiatry, but I don't know enough to reasonably comment."

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
Her sister being a psychiatrist is pretty old news though....not some recently unveiled revelation.

There have been psychiatrists IN scientology in the past...

Last edited:
Perhaps the mods can join this to

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=11601

where it is also being discussed.

Her sister being a psychiatrist is pretty old news though....not some recently unveiled revelation.

There have been psychiatrists IN scientology in the past...

I didn't realize it was in the Breaking News section, non did I think I made some recent unveiled revelation. I'm just wondering how it gets explained away

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
I didn't realize it was in the Breaking News section, non did I think I made some recent unveiled revelation. I'm just wondering how it gets explained away

Apparently scientologist are not so rabid about psychiatry as it would seem?

Particularly when it concerns a highly visible scientologist couple.