What's new

Dr Persaud: Psychotic Episode, L. Ron Hubbard

I hope I am not posting existing stuff here.

"...A French Psychoanalyst, Dr Thierry Lamote, claims in a book (La Scientologie déchiffrée par la psychanalyse. La folie du fondateur, Universitaires du Mirail Press), and in a paper just published in the academic Journal 'L'Évolution Psychiatrique', that L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of the religious group, The Church of Scientology, suffered a psychotic episode, which appears to be the foundation for the multi-million pound worldwide movement...."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj-persaud/scientology-l-ron-hubbard_b_1656883.html

Anonycat

Crusader

"...A French Psychoanalyst, Dr Thierry Lamote, claims in a book (La Scientologie déchiffrée par la psychanalyse. La folie du fondateur, Universitaires du Mirail Press), and in a paper just published in the academic Journal 'L'Évolution Psychiatrique', that L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of the religious group, The Church of Scientology, suffered a psychotic episode, which appears to be the foundation for the multi-million pound worldwide movement...."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj-persaud/scientology-l-ron-hubbard_b_1656883.html

That may be the missing link. The Master: Director's Cut.

Two arguably somewhat more interesting Fair Use extracts are the following bits ...

... In his paper entitled 'Scientology: A systematized delirious inspired by Breuer and Freud's Studies on hysteria', Dr Lamote claims Hubbard subsequently re-named various old techniques and ideas used by Freud (some dating from before Freud founded psychoanalysis) and incorporated them into Scientology. Part of the continuing power of the movement may lie in these Freudian approaches, Dr Lamote's analysis suggests. Supposedly unlocking and exploring the unconscious, can become psychologically 'addictive', explaining why so many find themselves drawn into Scientology, become dependent on it, and then are unable to understand why so many others remain suspicious of the movement. ...

And also ...

... Towards the end of the 1930s, Dr Lamote writes that Hubbard had a tooth extracted under nitrous oxide, also referred to as "laughing gas", used during general anaesthesia, but which can cause disturbing mind-altering effects. Lamote then points out that Hubbard, in a letter written on 1 January 1938, and other writings, relates a set of strange experiences as result, including hearing voices repeating enigmatic sentences such as, "Do not let him know!". They could sound like the kind of hallucinations Doctors associate with a psychotic illness.

Lamote found that Hubbard frequently returned to this painful experience, indicating how profoundly important it was to him, maybe a turning point. ...

The actual source material is referenced as being from ...

... A French Psychoanalyst, Dr Thierry Lamote, claims in a book (La Scientologie déchiffrée par la psychanalyse. La folie du fondateur, Universitaires du Mirail Press), and in a paper just published in the academic Journal 'L'Évolution Psychiatrique' ...

Mark A. Baker

Two arguably somewhat more interesting Fair Use extracts are the following bits ...

And also ...

The actual source material is referenced as being from ...

Mark A. Baker

Agreed. I was just posting a snippet to show the topic of the article so people could go and look.

This is very interesting:

" Lamote then points out that Hubbard, in a letter written on 1 January 1938, and other writings, relates a set of strange experiences as result, including hearing voices Lamote then points out that Hubbard, in a letter written on 1 January 1938, and other writings, relates a set of strange experiences as result, including hearing voices repeating enigmatic sentences such as, "Do not let him know!". They could sound like the kind of hallucinations Doctors associate with a psychotic illness.".

Is that a Freudian slip? "repeating [STRIKE]enigmatic[/STRIKE] engramic sentences such as, "Do not let him know!"..."

AlphOhm

Traveler of time/space
Towards the end of the 1930s, Dr Lamote writes that Hubbard had a tooth extracted under nitrous oxide, also referred to as "laughing gas", used during general anaesthesia, but which can cause disturbing mind-altering effects. Lamote then points out that Hubbard, in a letter written on 1 January 1938, and other writings, relates a set of strange experiences as result, including hearing voices repeating enigmatic sentences such as, "Do not let him know!". They could sound like the kind of hallucinations Doctors associate with a psychotic illness. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj-persaud/scientology-l-ron-hubbard_b_1656883.html

I have mentioned it before elsewhere: nitrous oxide is not a general anesthetic.

At the time of Hubbard's incident nitrous was often used without added oxygen--so the "general anesthetic" effect was essentially due to hypoxia (which can cause brain damage). This technique was called "blue gassing"--one would know when "enough" was administered because the patient took on a bluish color (from lack of oxygen).

Nowadays nitrous delivery systems are required to provide at least 20% oxygen to avoid hypoxia. Nitrous is also sometimes used as a precursor gas for induction of general anesthesia prior to mixing in other actual general anesthetic gasses because it reduces sense of smell and takes down anxiety levels. Actual general anesthetic gasses can have an objectionable smell.

It is possible that L Rong suffered some brain damage.

(Yes, I am an expert :hysterical:)

Tom Cruise has used the "blue gas" technique previously on one of his passengers:

Tom Cruise