What's new

ESMB lives on. Meet your new Administrators

still here

Patron with Honors
I'm in England. It's very difficult, mostly impossible.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_United_Kingdom
When applying for a firearm certificate, justification must be provided to the police for each firearm, and they are individually listed on the certificate by type, calibre, and serial number.

. . .

To obtain a firearm certificate, the police must be convinced that a person has "good reason" to own each firearm, and that they can be trusted with it "without danger to the public safety or to the peace". Under Home Office guidelines, firearms licences are only issued if a person has legitimate sporting, collecting, or work-related reasons for ownership. Since 1968, self-defence has not been considered a valid reason to own a firearm. The current licensing procedure involves: positive verification of identity, two referees of verifiable good character who have known the applicant for at least two years (and who may themselves be interviewed and/or investigated as part of the certification), approval of the application by the applicant's own family doctor, an inspection of the premises and cabinet where firearms will be kept and a face-to-face interview by a Firearms Enquiry Officer (FEO) also known as a Firearms Liaison Officer (FLO). A thorough background check of the applicant is then made by Special Branch on behalf of the firearms licensing department. Only when all these stages have been satisfactorily completed will a license be issued, which has to be renewed every 5 years.
Paul

You could not keep one under the bed in England anyway - you have to have a gun safe! (I had the one in this house removed when I bought it)

I was a referee for one of my staff last year, it is more usual to have guns in rural areas, and he hires himself out to farmers to shoot foxes/rabbits etc.

Good to know I must be of "verifiable good character"! :yes:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Now that some of us have participated in derailing this thread...

Just outta curiosity, how easy/difficult is it to buy and own firearms (and buy ammo) where you live now as opposed to when you lived in California?

I see that Paul has answered with a raft of info about the difficulty of owning a gun legally in England.

but that leaves open the question of how difficult it is to get a firearm and ammunition - legally or illegally.

And the answer to that is - not very difficult at all.

There have been,afaik, three gun related massacres in the Uk in the last decade or so - Dunblane, Hungerford and Cumbria - all of them perpetrated by people who legally owned the firearms they used.

it's a strange situation.

Brilliant, well done, and good form!

I'm so happy!

Emma, thank you for all you've done and I have nothing but gratitude and appreciation for the sacrifice of self to keep this place going for others. Thank you.

Thanks to Mick and ethercat for picking up and carrying on. It's selfless folks like you all that do things for others without concern for recompense that make this world work and keeps people's faith in people!

:dance:

Terril park

Sponsor
I'm in England. It's very difficult, mostly impossible.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_United_Kingdom

When applying for a firearm certificate, justification must be provided to the police for each firearm, and they are individually listed on the certificate by type, calibre, and serial number.

. . .

To obtain a firearm certificate, the police must be convinced that a person has "good reason" to own each firearm, and that they can be trusted with it "without danger to the public safety or to the peace". Under Home Office guidelines, firearms licences are only issued if a person has legitimate sporting, collecting, or work-related reasons for ownership. Since 1968, self-defence has not been considered a valid reason to own a firearm. The current licensing procedure involves: positive verification of identity, two referees of verifiable good character who have known the applicant for at least two years (and who may themselves be interviewed and/or investigated as part of the certification), approval of the application by the applicant's own family doctor, an inspection of the premises and cabinet where firearms will be kept and a face-to-face interview by a Firearms Enquiry Officer (FEO) also known as a Firearms Liaison Officer (FLO). A thorough background check of the applicant is then made by Special Branch on behalf of the firearms licensing department. Only when all these stages have been satisfactorily completed will a license be issued, which has to be renewed every 5 years.

Paul

So much for the revolution:(

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. I'll be popping in from time to time. I have lots of friends here & can't imagine losing contact. Plus Scientology will always hold an interest for me, especially news of it's demise.

Hugs to everyone!!! :hug:

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. I'll be popping in from time to time. I have lots of friends here & can't imagine losing contact. Plus Scientology will always hold an interest for me, especially news of it's demise.

Hugs to everyone!!! :hugs:

Emma, sorry I didn't weigh in on this before...your I'm done thread went faster than I could read!! But I do want to thank you for hanging in there and finally getting ESMB turned over to people who will continue it. It is a very valuable resource.

I can only imagine how tired you must be of it after 5 years plus when you are the only one who cannot take a break from it. But all up, you've done a brilliant job and certainly earned your place on the VV most damaging critics list.

Do keep in touch. I'd love to see you at the victory party when we can kiss the cult good-bye for good. Otherwise, enjoy your cult free life. You've earned it. :bighug:

Kerry

Patron with Honors
I've been on holiday for 2 weeks until a few days ago, and am delighted to see who the new admins are, and want to echo all the others in wishing you well and much happiness, Em. You've done an incredible amount of work for people getting out of the CoS, and deserve every single thank you you get.

And thanks for being you!

Big hug!

Kerry

Patron with Honors
Mick and ethercat, it's great to hear you two will be taking on the reins. Good Luck with it!! I've admired you both from afar for over a decade now, and think you'll do a terrific job.

(P.S. Mick, I love that poem of Yeats, and the fact Achebe used "things fall apart" for the title of his (now most famous) book. An extremely fascinating, beautiful, and tragic novel if anyone's interested.)

See, I told you everything would be all right! :happydance:

Emma, much gratitude and big hugs to you...you've done a wonderful job and thanks for all your good hard work. I'm going to think of this "moving on" as your graduation...:biggrin: ...on to bigger and better things in life, more peace, more joy and contentment, and much happiness in just living as you wish. Have a wonderful life! :happydance: Keep in touch, we love you! :yes:

Very happy to have Mick and Ethercat as our new Admins. :clap: I trust them and am confident they will do a very good job for us as well. So...

Onward and upward, everybody! :carryon: :thumbsup:

Oh, and

FUCK OSA!

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I'm truly amazed that anyone thought for one moment that the board would go away or that things wouldn't be all right.

No offense, truly.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Glad to see ESMB is still here. It saved me along with Jason's video.

Thanks to Ether and Mick for taking over!
And thanks to Emma for taking so much crap for so long.

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
Thank you Mick and Ethercat for taking over!

I was going thru pre-withdrawl symptoms from my addiction to ESMB and did not know what to do about it. Problem solved with you both taking over!