What's new

From Ask the Scientologist: Scientology's Mental Manipulation

ExVet

Patron with Honors
Thought you all might want to see this:

http://askthescientologist.blogspot.com/2009/05/scientologys-mental-manipulation.html

Monday, May 25, 2009

Scientology's Mental Manipulation

In the recent news about the Church of Scientology on trial in France, one of the lawyers for the church, Patrick Maisonneuve, said:

"We will contest every charge and prove that there was no mental manipulation."

Oh, really?

That is going to be a very, very hard thing to prove. After all, Scientology is all about mental manipulation!

How do you suppose the lawyer is going to prove that an organization that boasts that its "technology" can handle any and all "mental problems" does not practice mental manipulation?

Let's see. L. Ron Hubbard's book "Science of Survival", a rather large book, is specifically and only about how to use Hubbard's "Tone Scale" to evaluate and control people.

Hubbard's extensive issues about surveys and marketing are all about how to control people without their consent or knowledge. His advices to "registrars" (salesmen) are all about how to use tricks and how to persist until they "get the sale".

Hubbard carefully selected the images for his book covers because, he believed, they would mentally manipulate people so they would buy his books without knowing why they felt compelled to do so.

Hubbard's famous "TR" drills are all about controlling people. These drills are billed as "communication drills" but that isn't what they teach. Their purpose is to teach a person how to control others. The TR0 drills train the person to not react in any way to what others might say. The rest of the TR drills train the person to get an answer or, especially, to get compliance from others by means of mental manipulation. These drills have nothing to do with how to have normal, social conversations, they are all about control and how to force compliance.

In fact, when you get right down to it, there isn't any part of Scientology that isn't about mental manipulation. Scientologists are all busy being controlled and working to control others through their "superior mental technology".

So, just how is it that this lawyer thinks he can prove that mental manipulation wasn't involved?

Ah! Perhaps he will contend that, because Scientology's attempts at mental manipulation are so feeble and ineffective, it really shouldn't count.

8-8008

Patron with Honors
Hey ExVet,

Good point. :thumbsup: I am Top of it to communicate this to my contact in the media. I did not think of it this way. Fuck, this is great. OK I have the references here with me so I will get it out. Great stuff. I'll let you know if I get a reply back from this person.

I love it. You know I used to be like this, persisting until the public paid, I did the courses for it, using the CDEI scale of course..... I regret it now to have done this to those people :bigcry: BUT I DO NOT NEED THE HAPPINESS RUNDOWN :hifive: OK. great stuff to get out to the media.

8-8008

Patron with Honors
OK I just sent the data to my contact in the media. She is excited about it. Gave her the references.... story..... will see if it come out. Got another email from another newspaper for stories. Just got off the phone with him. He likes it and another interview for tomorrow.
Nice and fun:happydance: :cheerleader:

ExVet

Patron with Honors
OK I just sent the data to my contact in the media. She is excited about it. Gave her the references.... story..... will see if it come out. Got another email from another newspaper for stories. Just got off the phone with him. He likes it and another interview for tomorrow.

Hi 8-8008, Glad you found this useful. Let's hope something constructive comes from all this!

Wisened One

Crusader

You GO, 8-8008! :giggle: :thumbsup:

Terril park

Sponsor
As far as I've seen so far their is one woman who feels she suffered " mental manipulation" and paid out a fair bit of Euros. She was a victim of high pressure selling it seems. Not sure if a case can be made on that. High pressure sales per se are not illegal. Mind you perhaps the reg's came around at midnight which may be tricky.

Any more details on specifics?

SomeGuy

Patron Meritorious
As far as I've seen so far their is one woman who feels she suffered " mental manipulation" and paid out a fair bit of Euros. She was a victim of high pressure selling it seems. Not sure if a case can be made on that. High pressure sales per se are not illegal. Mind you perhaps the reg's came around at midnight which may be tricky.

I think they used scientology technology as outlined by l ron hubbard.

Which makes it a pretty open and shut case about mental manipulation techniques being applied on these poor people that they were harassed for monies at all hours of the day is just the icing on the cake.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
To those sufficiently mentally manipulated, the mental manipulation is not a 'bug'; it's a *feature* :)

Zinj

8-8008

Patron with Honors
Hi to all,
Yes this is pure manipulation using scientology stuff. got my contact with the media, she loves it. Got another email today from another newspaper who want an interview soon, few days or ???????? well I know but won't say lol.
He loves it too. And may do his 1st page. Will let you know too.

Daedle

Patron

Yes it is illegal. Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations Act 2008 which came into effect May last year and was implemented EU wide.

The act makes it illegal for an organisation to;
- Directly lie to a consumer (we're a religion)
- Insinuate or flat out say that a consumers livehood or life may be in danger if they don't purchase a product (stress test results)
- Not allow a consumer to leave before they sign a certain contract or legal document (exactly what she's talking about here)
- Make claims about the medicinal properties of a product without any scientific or factual basis to support said claims (so every possible facet of dianetics)
- Omit information about a product that would affect a consumers decision to purchase said product (Xenu)

Of course getting trading standards to see past the religious facade is another matter.