What's new

Getting Clear conference films ready for purchase

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
I hope Scientology does not try to censor this like they have done to Going Clear in Florida.

Honestly, I recommend renting it sooner rather than later...

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
There seems to be some resistance to the idea of having to pay-to-view the Toronto Conference videos..

I think a much smarter way to go would have been to post the video links on a page with a Donation link and an explanation about costs incurred etc. Exes and Critics can be quite generous when simply asked to donate (if they so choose) in support of a worthwhile cause rather than being charged a set tariff.

Just my opinion. :)

I agree. My first instinct is to share this amazing stuff, and I can't. That means a very limited audience in the end unfortunately.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
There seems to be some resistance to the idea of having to pay-to-view the Toronto Conference videos..

I think a much smarter way to go would have been to post the video links on a page with a Donation link and an explanation about costs incurred etc. Exes and Critics can be quite generous when simply asked to donate (if they so choose) in support of a worthwhile cause rather than being charged a set tariff.

There is a huge ex-Scn community out there, much larger, actually than we several dozen regular posters imagine.

I'm certain that Jim Beverley will recover his costs, and Scientology must be enormously frustrated by their impotence to pre-emptively block the conference to begin with, and now being unable to prevent the commercial distribution over the Internet.

It is my considered opinion that any ex-Scientologists who do not see this would be missing a very special experience. FWIW.

Last edited:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I plan on purchasing access to the video collection during the discount period and sharing the Vimeo location with other exes I know (they will have to pay of course). If the videos are not captioned, an ideal addition would be to develop transcripts and eventually add captioning. This makes the data searchable and future researchers could find what they need more quickly. Vimeo supports captions and any future disc-based media would benefit as well.

Thanks to Dr. Beverly and Mr. Atack for going out on a financial limb to produce this event and record it for posterity.

Chip

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
Well, I've just purchased the set. There are far too many people I'd like to hear to miss out on it, one of which is Jim Beverley himself.

It will be a while before I get through all the hours of vid, so I'll let you all know what I think when I get there. :) (I expect they are every bit as good as stated.)

JustSheila

Crusader

Yes! Even meetup has donate buttons to choose with different donation amounts, and it would be nice to know the costs incurred as well.

I think even more important is that the Vimeo link is not set up to gift the vid rentals to others. Some of the exes are elderly, disabled or newly out and just getting on their feet, and perhaps some here would like to discreetly gift the set to such persons.:yes:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Just watched the first session with Jon Atack presenting. Excellent sound and video. The slides were well integrated into the online video. I learned numerous new facts about Hubbard and had confirmed some anecdotal tidbits that I have accumulated in nearly 25 years of "decompression" from the group. This is a university-level presentation so solid references are given. Looking forward to watching all the sessions in what is turning out to be a landmark media event.

[update: I want to attest to completion of Session 2 featuring Gerry Armstrong. His comments on traveling with Official Hubbard Biographer Omar Garrison are a hoot. And this link has some more info on Garrison as it pertains to ASI negotiating the rights for the biography away from him: http://www.xenu-directory.net/news/library-item.php?iid=2583]

Last edited:

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Just to help ease the way for those wanting to purchase the rentals at the discounted price of $90( available until the 26th ) I am copy/pasting a response I replied to a commenter over on Jeffrey Augustine's The Scientology Money Project blog article mirroring Tony Ortega's article event video content release announcement discount.

It was not easy for me to figure out how to sign up and apparently I was not the only one. This fellow asked how to go about it, so I explained in sequence the steps to take to get the videos at the discounted rate. Here is the exchange, which I hope helps others catch the discount!

barefacedmessiah
September 21, 2015

I would like to buy the set, but I do not understand the rental part. How often and until when can I watch the recordings?

Mary McConnell
September 21, 2015

Hi barefacedmessiah! If you rent them now at the reduced $90 fee ( expires Sept 26th then cost is $120) you will have access to them in your Vimeo library for 12 months to the date of rental ( according to the button ) . To buy the set, I suggest you first register for Vimeo if you are not already registered. . You can do that here: https://vimeo.com/login You can choose how you want to login, by email address or social media link

Once registered, go to this link https://vimeo.com/ondemand/gettingclear . Click the blue Button that asks you to "RENT ALL FOR $120 . Of course you are not renting it for $120 but that gets settled once you click the button.

After clicking it, look at the pop up window. It will display places to put payment info and access code.

Add your credit card information in the spaces available or click the PayPay icon and it will change the screen to give you place to put PayPal info

Then look below the box to ' Save for your credit card or pay pal info for future purchases' ( unchecking the SAVE info box as desired). You will see a place to Apply promo code.

Click the Apply promo code and then enter the following code GC90 in the box provided there.

Then click the blue button at the bottom.

The next screen shows the credit of funds and code credit towards the full price with nothing owed showing. It will tell you that you have purchased the rental of the videos and for how long.

Then look in your library at this link https://vimeo.com/ondemand/library Here you can choose which video by looking over the list of names and clicking to see one..

You can also see them from the Watch Later link here, which posts each video, by title. There are 3 pages of videos. https://vimeo.com/watchlater I prefer this one for it's easy visual choices.

You can access the videos from your library through any of these devices
https://vimeo.com/everywhere

If you have problems, email James Beverley whose email address is noted in the article.

Hope you enjoy them

Mary, you are a gem!

Thank you so much for clearing all this up.

Of course I'm going to purchase this.

I spent too many years being one of the first to donate to some (now I realize [duh]) "planetary dissem" project to not get on board.

Come on people!!!!

Buy this thing!!!

Go Jim Beverley!

You ROCK!!!!!!

Jon and I will do what we can to increase availability of the 28 films from the Getting Clear conference. Three things for now:

1. If anyone cannot afford the $90 discount rate, please write me at [email protected] and we can try and work something out. I have already been critiqued for offering this help on Tony's Bunker, but I can live with believing that it is okay to offer help to those who are poor.
2. Jon and I believe our price is fair for the the 28 videos (26.5 hours), given the enormous amount spent on travel, hotel expenses, and filming in high definition (with three or four cameras).
3. I would appreciate ideas about greater distribution, etc. And for those who want to donate toward the expenses, see the donations tab at http://gettingclear.co/donations.html

One last thing: We increased the rental time to one year because we were attacked for having it at only six months. We are also getting attacked because we are not allowing downloads through Vimeo. Am I right in thinking that making downloads available increases the chances of someone pirating the videos? Am I right in thinking that it is harder to pirate videos that are streamed?

Jump

Operating teatime
Jon and I will do what we can to increase availability of the 28 films from the Getting Clear conference. Three things for now:

1. If anyone cannot afford the $90 discount rate, please write me at [email protected] and we can try and work something out. I have already been critiqued for offering this help on Tony's Bunker, but I can live with believing that it is okay to offer help to those who are poor.
2. Jon and I believe our price is fair for the the 28 videos (26.5 hours), given the enormous amount spent on travel, hotel expenses, and filming in high definition (with three or four cameras).
3. I would appreciate ideas about greater distribution, etc. And for those who want to donate toward the expenses, see the donations tab at http://gettingclear.co/donations.html

One last thing: We increased the rental time to one year because we were attacked for having it at only six months. We are also getting attacked because we are not allowing downloads through Vimeo. Am I right in thinking that making downloads available increases the chances of someone pirating the videos? Am I right in thinking that it is harder to pirate videos that are streamed?

Personally, I think you just do what you think is right. I agree you should guard against pirates and the 1 yr rental with offer of later discount on hard copies is fair. You put your neck out a long way Jim, you have produced an excellent record of an extraordinary event and for that we are very very grateful.

As they say.. Haters gonna hate. Just ignore them.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
James and Jon, you have done a most excellent job! :clap:

It might be helpful for those who do not have the time or money to watch the whole conference to make it easier to watch individual sessions. For example if you don't want to watch about the history of Hubbard, yet really want to see Steven Hassan or Paulette etc, some way to link and pay for just the content of interest? Then that link could be shared widely, gaining a bigger audience? I don't know much about Vimeo, just an idea.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I was unable to get to the conference until mid week, so I missed some stellar speakers. Tonight I listened to the Jesse Prince Q&A following the video where Tory Magoo speaks first, then Jessie. Jon Atack, Gerry Armstrong and other contributed interesting questions and background information related to the questions. You all really have to see and listen to this. Lots of information previously untold.

They did a terrific job :thumbsup:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Just finished the 7th video with Paulette Cooper and Tony Ortega, introduced by Jim Beverly and moderated by Jon Atack. Tony and Paulette fill in some stories that were not included in "The Unbreakable Miss Lovely" and Jon was ack'd as fact checking the book (something I had forgotten or did not know). There are a number of moments that touched me personally and I think that if you had this video along with the updated version of Jon's "A Piece of Blue Sky" and Tony's bio of Paulette and her original "The Scandal of Scientology," you wouldn't need anything else to fully understand the situation. Strong work from all participants here!

When I went to Amazon to check the spelling of a book title, it was great to see the "books also bought" list at the bottom of the page ...

amazon_books_also_bought.jpg

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Chris Shelton in his presentation in the session #10 video gives specifics on The Truth Rundown (TRD), apparently only delivered to Sea Org members with few exceptions. In a unique "Getting Clear" moment, Jesse Prince speaks from the audience about how the delivery of the TRD as described by Shelton varied from what he personally piloted with Hubbard, to a strongly negative effect.

The opening segment of #10 has Jim Beverly and Christian Szurko discussing the definition of the word "religion" and how Scientology does or does not meet the definition.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
Jesse recounts one of my favorite tales from his Int Base years with
delicious detail: confronting DM, Marty R, Greg W, and Norman S among
others about his imminent demotion and RPF stint.

Maybe "confronting" is not exactly the right word. Actually, he backed
‘em all down with a couple loaded guns he’d just retrieved from his room.
You’ll have to watch the video to learn what happened next.

Great, great story!

View attachment 11392
Gotta luv Jesse! :coolwink:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
#12 Q&A with Jesse Prince has what is for me another highlight. Nancy Meany talks about a survey and "failing" a test. Jon Atack confirms the nature of the game we were all playing. In fact, the previous segment with Jesse Prince and #12 dovetail nicely as they build to a great cognition if you will.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
In #10 with Chris Shelton, there is speculation that Leah Remini (LR) was subjected to the so-called "Truth Rundown" at Flag. This has been confirmed in a post on Tony Ortega's site which contains Knowledge Reports (KRs) about LR. It gets even better since these are also discussed in LR's upcoming book about her exit from Scientology, Inc.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
In #21 at 54:14, Jon Atack says that Hubbard raped his daughter when she was 14. Does anyone know the source of this allegation? I had not heard it before.