What's new

I can see why people get hooked on Scientology

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
#1 "By forcing your body to perspire through heat exposure or heavy exercise, you can cause your kidneys to save water and actually hang on to any toxins that may be circulating in your system." (Quote from a medical school.)

#2 "New studies reveal that hormone-disruptors in plastics called BPA and phthalates in everything from shampoos to soaps and detergents appear to be preferentially excreted through sweat. And you're lucky to get rid of them: They're linked to everything from abnormal testicular development to obesity, ADHD and cancer." (Dr. Oz)

I lean toward #2, and I think sweating with exercise, rather than using heat is probably healthier, and that the exercise component is probably the healthiest and most effective part of the purif, but just for people who are not exercising that much.

I tried regular sauna for a month and it did nothing for me, but probably because I was exercising a lot anyway at that time. Then the question becomes, but what about for people who don't do any exercise of a type that makes them sweat hardly at all? Well, then it seems like sauna might be worth a try, just being sure to stay well hydrated and probably take a multivitamin. (I mean sauna away from Scientology.)

Now in my older years, I exercise every day for at least 20 minutes, otherwise I feel like crap. And then I do some sport for a few hours once or more a week. Each person has to get in touch with the types of activity/diet which makes them feel vibrant and healthy, and not expect that there's going to be any magic bullet like Dr. Hubbard's sauna cure that is going to leave them transformed, when they don't continue with anything. Oddly, the Scientology book on the purif suggests that about diet -- that it is very individual. (It's one of the few Scientology books I was able to read, although I thought it was pretty lame, but also had some common sense, like the advice about diet.)

One time I was going through a period of mysterious bad health and a friend of mine who is a physician gave me a diet-by-blood-type book. It was something someone gave him, not something he endorsed. I stuck to the diet for my blood type, carefully avoiding the foods that were supposed to be bad for people with my blood type, like tomatoes. I thought it helped me somewhat, but I concluded that the concept was total bogus BS, because the diets for all the blood types were healthier than what I was eating and what most people eat.

So...if people are exercising to a level that they weren't before the exercise involved in the purif, that alone is going to make a big change. Later I found out was really wrong with me, and due to some medical intervention of the right sort, I was feeling well again.

One thing about Scientology, the way it tries all sorts of things in its comprehensiveness, is that a person is bound to find a few things in it that they like the idea of a lot, or may even cause a dramatic difference. But they would have found these things if they just explored yoga, diet, talk therapy, exercise, etc. on their own, or using other methods outside of Scientology. It's like when Paul Haggis discovered that at some point, one of the evil psychs was a lot more helpful in helping him with some personal issues, rather than Scientology.

When I work out, I only sweat a little. When I do Bikram yoga, it's way more.

I just wish the classes were shorter and silent. Generally, while you're struggling in the heat the instructor keeps up a running instructional patter. It's informative but it gets a bit much. I did have the pleasure of attending two silent Bikram yoga classes. Very refreshing.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
The way they really get you is that they get you to think that these results will last for eternity so it does not matter very much if you spend every day of this life and all of your money this life perusing Scientology. And if that were the case then it wouldn't and matter and they would be right, but it isn't.

This happens in other ideologies. I think it was Eric Hoffer in "The True Believer: Thoughts On The Nature Of Mass Movements (1951)" who mentioned about Communism, that it was promoted as it would create an eternally-lasting paradise. For something that would thus be of infinite value, an unlimited level of present-time suffering was justified in order to achieve it. Mass murder was a trivial cost when weighed against eternity. Same deal with Islam.

To a sufficiently-believing Scientologist, ANY crime against a current person could be justified, if it was rationalized as being necessary in order to ensure Eternity.

The scary thing is I was one of the believers.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I did say something like that but she basically said that the Objectives were "quickied" by SPs and now the survival rundown is the new correct version of the Objective processes. She did not care that she all ready paid for them she was just happy that they are working now.

She even went on to tell me how OT8's are having the best wins of their lives from these processes. Of course it does not matter that since the processes were done in the wrong order that the OT 8's will now probably have to re do the OT levels with their new levels of awareness, and of course pay full price once again on the circular bridge to vertigo.

It is how they train you, which is basically to forgive any screw up they do, that they have no responsibility to get a product on you, in fact they drill it into YOU that YOU are RESPONSIBLE for getting the product even if you are new and do not know what the product is supposed to be.

Any complaint is nattering which means you have an overt because you did something wrong now or in some imagined past life.

The way they really get you is that they get you to think that these results will last for eternity so it does not matter very much if you spend every day of this life and all of your money this life perusing Scientology. And if that were the case then it wouldn't and matter and they would be right, but it isn't.

Thanks for explaining further. Boy, Scientology really capitalized on all this. It's even more of a 'prison of belief ' than ever. I wish you the best with your friends. Don't give up hope.