What's new

Just saying hello

Maddy

Patron
I seemed to have skipped this part so figured I'd better stop in here and introduce myself :biggrin:

As I said in my first post I'm not an ex-scientologist, just someone who has been aware of it for some time and got my curiosity tickled to find out more after watching a couple of specials on the BBC. Not because I think scientology can particularly do anything for me but because I'm curious by nature, if something makes me go 'hmmm' I can't rest until I've satisfied that niggle. It was the outrageous behavior I saw on the specials that made me wonder how on earth any org got away with that for so long with no repercussions. I'm no closer to that answer but I am heart sick by the stories of abuse and pain I have read.

Over my life I've had to deal with a number of issues that resulted from a rather unpleasant childhood. Due to me finally speaking out I lost my family for a long while, frankly I don't know which hurt more, the initial abuse or the rejection of my confession. However, I came through on my own, learning that I was a lot stronger than I ever though, I had a much deeper understanding of myself and, strange as this may sound, I actually wouldn't change anything because all those past events have contributed to the person I am, and I like that person.

I see so much strength in the stories I have read, but there is also a lot of pain and some self recriminations and yet really you were as helpless as I was at 6 years old. You stood to lose your families, your friends, your whole way of life. By leaving you were forced to put aside everything you loved and believed in. That took great courage.

So please be kind to yourselves and know that there are people out here that hear you.

exsomessenger

Patron Meritorious
what a great way of looking at things and dealing with the pitfalls of life. thanks for the introduction and welcome!

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Welcome. There is much commonality in the human condition. The hurt in having been a member of a cult and the repercussions is often equivalent to another person's hurt because of other situations in that person's life.

Supporting one another is crucial.

As John Donne said " no man is an island". (and he goes on to say far more than that.)

Purple Rain

Crusader
I seemed to have skipped this part so figured I'd better stop in here and introduce myself :biggrin:

As I said in my first post I'm not an ex-scientologist, just someone who has been aware of it for some time and got my curiosity tickled to find out more after watching a couple of specials on the BBC. Not because I think scientology can particularly do anything for me but because I'm curious by nature, if something makes me go 'hmmm' I can't rest until I've satisfied that niggle. It was the outrageous behavior I saw on the specials that made me wonder how on earth any org got away with that for so long with no repercussions. I'm no closer to that answer but I am heart sick by the stories of abuse and pain I have read.

Over my life I've had to deal with a number of issues that resulted from a rather unpleasant childhood. Due to me finally speaking out I lost my family for a long while, frankly I don't know which hurt more, the initial abuse or the rejection of my confession. However, I came through on my own, learning that I was a lot stronger than I ever though, I had a much deeper understanding of myself and, strange as this may sound, I actually wouldn't change anything because all those past events have contributed to the person I am, and I like that person.

I see so much strength in the stories I have read, but there is also a lot of pain and some self recriminations and yet really you were as helpless as I was at 6 years old. You stood to lose your families, your friends, your whole way of life. By leaving you were forced to put aside everything you loved and believed in. That took great courage.

So please be kind to yourselves and know that there are people out here that hear you.

So glad you're here, Maddy.