What's new

Life Repair Auditing

guanoloco

As-Wased
Here's an interesting quote from here:

Life repair is another piece of Tech that has been submerged to mediocrity or worse quickied or omitted completely.

Obviously there are different qualities of Life Repair.

Done well - it means you live most of your life in affluence or better.

An Upset is a collapsed Set-Up. Thus a completed LR means you have your life Set-Up to be in affluence or power for the long term.

A problem is basically intention or force v's counter intention or counter force. Thus a completed LR means you have your life purposes aligned to be in affluence or power for the long term.

A withholdingness is a restraint of self and a restraint of reach. Thus a completed LR means you have your life restraints and reach restraints removed and your presence, reach and action levels are without reservation which in turn allows you to be in affluence or power for the long term.

The eradication of continuous harmful acts allows you to focus and produce good or helpful effects. Thus a completed LR means you have your life Set-Up in such away that you do more good and be of more help which again will allow you to be in affluence or power for the long term.

I'm always appalled that the so called OTs live such poor PT existences.

For most it is the omittance of a complete high quality Life Repair. :(

Alan

Followed by this from here:

Hi Beatrix and others.
Thank you for the information that Life Repair was replaced by Introductory Auditing. However, going over its description, I don't see that the "Scientology Introductory Auditing Route" is Life Repair or has any semblance to it. There is no "Life" repair in it, whatsoever. As it is almost 30 years since I last programmed a PC folder for Life Repair, my recall may not be perfect, but here is the basic program I used.

(1) C/S 1 including all LIC and L4BRA (or whatever it is now) words.
(2) Fly all ruds
(3) Fly quad ruds "In life have you had ... "
(4) Prep check reading items from the DofP interview
(5) 2WC "Difficult or rough times" and prep check reading items. Be alert to any wrong indications and if reading, do an L4BRA before the prep check.
(6) 2WC each dynamic and prep check reading items.
(7) (If some area in life isn't resolving, do an LIC on it. This would require a new C/S.)
(8) Fly quad ruds of Long Duration " have you had ... for a very long time?"

I have no doubt that the changes were originated by Miscavige, who obviously has not duplicated the C/S Series. But then again it is only in his mind that he is a C/S.

David

Mystic

Crusader
Mentalists are really funny with all the complexity it takes to "repair their lives".

Some folks have discovered art:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3VsesSBsw

Life also has the quality of repairing itself. Go out and experience some art. Walk along a beach. Fall in love.

Hey, mentalists! Find out there is life.

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
Mentalists are really funny with all the complexity it takes to "repair their lives".

Some folks have discovered art:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3VsesSBsw

Life also has the quality of repairing itself. Go out and experience some art. Walk along a beach. Fall in love.

Hey, mentalists! Find out there is life.

Yes, yes, yes. I do so second, third ad infinitum what Mystic said. For gawd's sake, get a life. All this eternal internalizing navel gazing going over and over and over that stuff is bad for the soul, bad for health, bad for well being, never gonna get you anywhere. imo. Have fun, watch a sunset, play with the kids or grandkids, eat yummy food - and drink, read some good books, take a hot bath ...... anything but this endless blather.

Terril park

Sponsor
Sorry that I have offended. I see that you are a "true believer" in Metapsychology. I also note that the two books you recommend are by ex-Scn'ists ( one of whom a good friend to me).
I watched the video that you linked to. Sorry, babe, it doesn't change the fact that during the workshop I attended, "Sarge" used the R3R commands VERBATIM in his instructions to the psychs for running TIR. Verbatim, not "close to identical" as some poster said. VERBATIM. I noted that credit was given to Freud, and to Pavlov , but neither of them put the method, R3R, together. Hubbard did. " Render unto Caesar" etc etc.

My use of Dianetic auditing extends from 1951 until 1983 and during that time I did every Dn course that came down the pike, so you can rest assured that I know R3R when I hear it. After hundreds of hours of drilling it to the wall, to a twin, to a doll, and to hunnerds of peeps, I know R3R VERBATIM when I hear it.
Certainly no one here has said or implied that everything an ex scn'ist does after Scn IS Scn.
My experience in no way invalidates yours. You need not get your knickers in a twist. I have no intention of lessening your credibility here.
The peeps on this board have the opportunity, if interested in Metapsychology, to research it, or go do it.

chlng

Of course as always I'm in love. :)

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
These don't seem to go together...

The statements separate and equally valid. Freud's work indicated that past incidents which cause present day problems are often linked together - and - there is no evidence that any incidents carry charge. You are conflating apples with oranges, hence the confusion.

In addition, I've seen the e-meter, as just one isolated example, being ridiculed like this multiple times from various posters.

A) On one end of the bell-curve there's the Hubturdian rhetoric that the e-meter is infallible.

B) On the other is the "re-boxed 19th century wheatstone bridge" and it's a "simple galvanic" device posts. In other words, it's a misunderstood simple tool being passed off as a sophisticated space-age device and any nuances on what it is measuring is random and means nothing...implying that there is nothing to it at all.

Neither supposition is true, IMHO, especially the latter.

A more moderate description is accurate from my personal YEARS of experience.

All an e-meter reads is galvanic skin response which varies according to muscle movements and the presence of fluid (sweat). All a "floating needle" represents is that the can-holder is in an hypnotic-like trance state. If indeed the person were to derive a real and significant "cognition" while fully conscious, the actual response would be a rock slam as the body reacts to the "shock" of the realisation. To say that an e-meter is in anyway useful in exploring past incidents is a statement of faith. That's fine for religions, but dangerous when offering "therapy". You will, of course, be aware of the the FDA advisory:

"The device should bear a prominent, clearly visible notice warning that any person using it for auditing or counseling of any kind is forbidden by law to represent that there is any medical or scientific basis for believing or asserting that the device is useful in the diagnosis, treatment, or prevention of any disease. It should be noted in the warning that the device has been condemned by a United States District court for misrepresentation and misbranding under the Food and Drug laws, that use is permitted only as part of religious activity, and that the E-meter is not medically or scientifically capable of improving the health or bodily functions of anyone"

Its there for a reason. The fact that many ignore the requirement makes it more important that the truth about the emeter be posted often and vociferously. As Federal District Judge Gesell ruled in 1971: "An individual processed with the aid of the E-meter was said to reach the intended goal of "clear" and was led to believe there was reliable scientific proof that once cleared many, indeed most illnesses would automatically be cured. Auditing was guaranteed to be successful. All this was and is false -- in short, a fraud. " While caveat emptor applies, you may consider my statements as consumer advocacy.

There exists enough accurate posting on the subject of Scientology here that lurkers will be able to clearly see their situation so my posting this probably serves no other purpose but for my own benefit; be that as it may, I found obviously embellished negative posts to actually serve Scientology. It is so utter simple to spend 15 minutes on an e-meter and prove statements like B) as false that any lurker would thereby re-cement their belief in the cult-perspective.

Do NOT do this.

Rather, accurately describe Scientology - I, for one, would've been out a long time earlier.

There is nothing inaccurate in the statement: the emeter is a re-boxed 19th century wheatstone bridge which measures galavanic skin response and nothing else. If you have, after YEARS of observation, any empirical evidence that this is wrong, I suggest you contact the FDA. You could also score a million dollars.

I know it's popular to negate everything Hubbard and Scientology and I've been guilty of it, too. That doesn't make it correct and may actually serve the purpose of Scientology.

Like I stated above, there's more than likely enough accurate descriptions of Scientology to win over the embellished views...but, just in case, try to remain accurate.

Here's a perfect example:

This is not advocacy of Scn in a cloistered way.

I'm not sure how dissing Scientology, the emeter, and L Ron Hubbard helps the cult. People who derive benefit from the use of the emeter will continue to do so for so long as they maintain their irrational belief in its efficacy. In fact, the moment they realise exactly what it is will be the same moment they become free from a delusion. The sooner the better, I say.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Perhaps, Life Repair is the culmination of Scientology. The reason I say it, is because the happiest pc's I produced were Life Repair graduates and may be HRD too. I delivered all the grades and NED, many completions.
NED produces miracles at times. But Life Repair was most consistent, as far as happy people. Possibly, it's LRH's best achievement. This is my observation.

Infinite

Perhaps, Life Repair is the culmination of Scientology. The reason I say it, is because the happiest pc's I produced were Life Repair graduates and may be HRD too. I delivered all the grades and NED, many completions.
NED produces miracles at times. But Life Repair was most consistent, as far as happy people. Possibly, it's LRH's best achievement. This is my observation.

Given that the only acceptable EP from "Life Repair" is: "I need more Scientology", I agree, it was a very successful process for L Ron Hubbard.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Given that the only acceptable EP from "Life Repair" is: "I need more Scientology", I agree, it was a very successful process for L Ron Hubbard.

That too. Stripped of $cn, could do some good to others, I believe.

guanoloco

As-Wased
The statements separate and equally valid. Freud's work indicated that past incidents which cause present day problems are often linked together - and - there is no evidence that any incidents carry charge. You are conflating apples with oranges, hence the confusion.

What definition of "charge" are you using?

Also, didn't you say that "fallacious assumptions that there is a reactive mind" and now you're saying "Freud's work indicated that past incidents which cause present day problems are often linked together"?

All an e-meter reads is galvanic skin response which varies according to muscle movements and the presence of fluid (sweat). All a "floating needle" represents is that the can-holder is in an hypnotic-like trance state. If indeed the person were to derive a real and significant "cognition" while fully conscious, the actual response would be a rock slam as the body reacts to the "shock" of the realisation. To say that an e-meter is in anyway useful in exploring past incidents is a statement of faith.

Sound like you know quite a bit. More than...say...Jung. How did you do that?

There is nothing inaccurate in the statement: the emeter is a re-boxed 19th century wheatstone bridge which measures galavanic skin response and nothing else.

But didn't you just say that a "floating needle" is a hypnotic-like trance state and a rock slam would be a "cognition"? Even if that is galvanic skin response doesn't that mean something instead of "nothing else"?

guanoloco

As-Wased
Here's some more from here:

*snipped* Notice that all those questions above, put you into the past!

Here is a datum. An important datum.

What is screwing up the present is in the PRESENT, it is here, now, doing its screwing up here, now! It is NOT in the past nor necessarily of the past! (I will get into the mechanics of this time notion/factor later on.)

What I saw is that the error which is endemic and a core erroneous principle in/of Scn is the idea that what is bugging you is in the past or from the past. This is a colossal error, and one that has screwed us all up.

Looking at the development of the tech, we can see how this error came into being and how it seemed so logical, and Oh so right to think that. It began with the early “successes” with Dianetics, and carried forward as “the truth behind what bugs you in Scn.” Of course this notion that what is bugging you and wrong with you is in or from your past didn’t begin with Dianetics. Hubbard took the notion from others.

What I realized in looking at all this is that virtually everyone in Scn has been hooked on the idea that what is “wrong with them,” and what is bugging them, is in or from their past . . . . when in fact, what has to be found, corrected and handled is in the present, NOW!

...and then from EP-Ethics Particle:

Good call, Rog! That explains, neatly, precisely why the Life Repair I did with Dex as Auditor so many years ago was such a stellar action.

Also, perhaps, why not too long after that, with another auditor, my "case" simply "fell apart" reminiscent of shelling dry corn off the cob - on a "sec-check" dealing with PT stuff.

At least that's the way it seems to me!

Thank you!

Mike

Infinite

What definition of "charge" are you using?

The same definition as the person I was quoting.

Also, didn't you say that "fallacious assumptions that there is a reactive mind" and now you're saying "Freud's work indicated that past incidents which cause present day problems are often linked together"?

The theory that past events are linked is not proof of the existence of a reactive mind.

Sound like you know quite a bit. More than...say...Jung. How did you do that?

Now you're being silly.

But didn't you just say that a "floating needle" is a hypnotic-like trance state and a rock slam would be a "cognition"? Even if that is galvanic skin response doesn't that mean something instead of "nothing else"?

No. I said that the floating needle would indicate the hypnotic-like trance state. This is because there would be little if any changes in resistance. A bit like when a person is sleeping. If they were fully conscious and did have a serious realisation (call it cognition if you like) that would register as a rock slam, IMHO, because the person would have a subconscious muscle reaction - part of the fight/flight response. The "something" you are referring to is a change in resistance, that's all. Not any kind of measure of thought.

Have you seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHDMEBoOYXo

. . . be sure to check out the second part.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Sorry that I have offended. I see that you are a "true believer" in Metapsychology. I also note that the two books you recommend are by ex-Scn'ists ( one of whom a good friend to me).
I watched the video that you linked to. Sorry, babe, it doesn't change the fact that during the workshop I attended, "Sarge" used the R3R commands VERBATIM in his instructions to the psychs for running TIR. Verbatim, not "close to identical" as some poster said. VERBATIM. I noted that credit was given to Freud, and to Pavlov , but neither of them put the method, R3R, together. Hubbard did. " Render unto Caesar" etc etc.

My use of Dianetic auditing extends from 1951 until 1983 and during that time I did every Dn course that came down the pike, so you can rest assured that I know R3R when I hear it. After hundreds of hours of drilling it to the wall, to a twin, to a doll, and to hunnerds of peeps, I know R3R VERBATIM when I hear it.
Certainly no one here has said or implied that everything an ex scn'ist does after Scn IS Scn.
My experience in no way invalidates yours. You need not get your knickers in a twist. I have no intention of lessening your credibility here.
The peeps on this board have the opportunity, if interested in Metapsychology, to research it, or go do it.

chlng

Well, I wouldn't call me a "True Believer", but I would say it is currently the paradigm with which I agree consistently. I find it logically consistent and satisfying, and I think that putting problems in its terms generally tends to imply solutions to those problems which can then be checked "in session", or more broadly, through scientific study of statistical success. No, I have not conducted scientific studies: I lack the resources and credentials.

I appreciate your statement, here. I wasn't actually offended, but I was worried that I had offended posters here. My own enthusiasm often translates as large quantities of posts, and that quantity can easily be interpreted as an intent to overwhelm objections through volume. I would like to state that it is not my intent to overwhelm anyone, I am just "white and nerdy" and have a lot of free time to post right now.

At any rate, I think you'd be right to say that Dr. Gerbode did NOT create the steps of TIR. Representations to that effect, IMO, are PR. I think it would be accurate to say he developed TIR, which is how I'll have to make sure I say it, in the future. I mean this in the sense that he took steps of a procedure (R3R, not trying to dodge this), created a theory about why they "work" (when they work) to help a person reduce cognitive distortion, desensitize emotional reactions, produce personal insight and help the person return their attention/intention ("ability") to whatever they are working on in the present.

Oh, and regarding crediting Hubbard, Scientology, and the various people who contributed to its processes, Gerbode did this in his book. Due to the manner in which people react to the terms Scientology, Scientologist, Hubbard, Dianetics, Reactive Mind, Engram, Auditing, etc., I think you could easily understand why he wouldn't want to open every conversation, presentation, article, etc., with "I was once a Scientologist, TIR contains steps that are identical to many of the steps in Dianetics, etc.". Technically, there are significant differences between R3R and TIR, particularly where you are "preassessing" an item and getting it in "runnable" form, but also including no requirement for needle reactions (though you COULD use a meter, TIR is designed for use without it), and if I got out the two and compared them, I'm pretty sure I'd find more differences. FUNCTIONALLY, what is accomplished by performing the steps should be identical (person reviews an incident or chain of incidents and clears it of charge). That said, terminological differences are indicative of actual differences of meaning. Charge has a different definition in Metapsychology than it does in Scientology (and in my opinion, a far more elegant one). Reactive Mind has different meaning than Traumatic Incident Network, due to the many different (and operationally meaningless) definitions Hubbard used. I could go on, but the point is simple: while there are some steps that are identical to R3R in TIR, and between some other procedures (definitely not all, and definitely not their organization and theory), protocols are wildly different, results are not hyped, methods ARE tested scientifically prior to making any claims for them (other than that outcomes are interesting, and what the THEORY predicts the results should be), some methods have been de-emphasized and are under review because the expected results are not uniformly delivered and the reasons why have not been determined. The organizations of metapsychology exist to connect facilitators and trainers with interested public (including oversight agencies like the American Psychological Association and the National Association of Social Workers), to train new facilitators and trainers. They do NOT exist to destroy critics, smash anyone's name into history (the subject is multi-authored), dominate anyone, make huge quantities of money, etc.

Last edited:
... In addition, I've seen the e-meter, as just one isolated example, being ridiculed like this multiple times from various posters.

A) On one end of the bell-curve there's the Hubturdian rhetoric that the e-meter is infallible. ...

On one of the first class eight tapes Hubbard directly refutes this belief. He states, in paraphrase, that when a meter reads all that can be said is that it read. The actual cause of the read may have nothing to do with anything the auditor said, or which may be relevant to the session. Hence the important of the auditor paying attention to the pc.

The meter is not a 'truth detector'. It is not infallible. It is a useful biofeedback instrument, but it is certainly not a requisite of good auditing. I find it's principle utility to be similar to a 'geiger counter' in that it can give a good indicator about 'charged items' which may not have yet completely 'surfaced'. However, the best rule in auditing is to deal with what is directly addressable by a pc, that on which he directly has his attention. For that the meter is largely superfluous. The meter is principally useful in facilitating the task of finding a way through when the pc has an issue in need of address yet may be drawing a conscious blank or unable to get past his own 'explanatory narrative' for his perceived problem.

Mark A. Baker

AnonKat

Crusader
Universities everywhere

http://www.tir.org/research_pub/bios/gerbode.html

Dr. Gerbode is an Honors graduate of Stanford University who later pursued graduate studies in philosophy at Cambridge University in England. He received his medical degree from yale University, and completed a psychiatric residency at Stanford University Medical Center in the early 1970s. Gerbode is the author of numerous papers and articles, which have been published in the Journal of Neurochemistry, the International Journal of Neuropharmacology, the Journal of Rational Emotive and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and elsewhere. He has taught and lectured internationally, and is the author of the book Beyond Psychology: An Introduction to Metapsychology, published in 1988. In 1986 he founded the Institute for Research in Metapsychology (now Applied Metapsychology International (AMI)). He is now retired, but still serves on the Board of Directors of AMI, as well as several of its committes including the Development and Editing Committee.

uniquemand

Unbeliever

Yeah, that's impressive if you respect those institutions. I do.

More impressive, though, is meeting the guy. He does not intimidate. While he's very knowledgeable, he's much more interested in understanding what you are saying to him, or making sure you understood what he said to you, and in having a good time, than he is in whether you respect his degrees or other accomplishments. Utterly charming when you're used to stuck-up academics more interested in asserting their authority than in being worthy of it.

FoTi

Crusader
Please see this article on abreaction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_incident_reduction#Abreactive_therapy which makes it clear how parts of TIR work (abreaction often occurs during a TIR session). The article also makes it clear that Hubbard pretended to invent this, and that it was actually invented much earlier.

Thanks for that reference. That is the first time that I ever read that LRH learned about abreactive therapy from it being used there when he was in the hospital and turned it into Dianetics. The story I got from one of his first books was that he, himself used Dianetics on a patient in a hospital, not that he learned it from it being used in the hospital by others. :ohmy: What a twist on the truth!!