What's new

Much Love (NOT!)

Gadfly

Crusader
I think it was pretty common in the 80s (maybe even earlier). If I remember correctly it gradually filtered down from Management Lines > SO lines > Staff Lines > Public.

I was involved as staff from 1976-1984, and the "ML" thing was EVERYWHERE. It was used by almost every staff member on despatches, and it was on all of Hubbard's "advices" coming down management lines.

It was VERY common back then at every level of the organization.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Agreed. It may have taken a bit longer to catch on in certain areas of the Planet where Bullshit is thought of as Bullshit, of course. :thumbsup:

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
Kind Regards
;)

LOL

Different cultures have different ideas. I don't think there is a blanket understanding of wrong and right in a personal sense.

However it is unprofessional in business, the church of Scientology is a business, trouble is that the[STRIKE] slaves[/STRIKE] employees are so caught up in the hurry, hurry, run, run that they fail to see how ludicrous it is to profess love to the [STRIKE]marks[/STRIKE] church members that they clearly have no love for.

Perhaps it , the "love bombing", works on some people initially but I would imagine it becomes meaningless quite quickly.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
well we'll have to check with PeteyCougar to see when the BS hit the antipodean shores..

Errr who's Petey Cougar? I'm plain ole Petey C. ML was in constant use in ANZO from the mid to late 70s. I'd forgotten about L=R (does this remind you of "God is Love" in any way?). Whatever Flag did, so did the rest of the SO and it wasn't long before we were all MLing all over the place.

Did we ever see L=*? I'm racking my brains.

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
This reminds me when I worked for a defense contractor. At the end of every email was
V/R or R. WTF, I said to myself? Turns out it means Very Respectfully. Always there, whether the email was respectful or not.

Gadfly

Crusader
Errr who's Petey Cougar? I'm plain ole Petey C. ML was in constant use in ANZO from the mid to late 70s. I'd forgotten about L=R (does this remind you of "God is Love" in any way?). Whatever Flag did, so did the rest of the SO and it wasn't long before we were all MLing all over the place.

Did we ever see L=*? I'm racking my brains.

Dang, I totally forgot about that "L=R" nonsense.

Yeah, it was/is incredibly ironic because there is so LITTLE "love" of any sort in Scientology. There is so very little of it in all of the huge volume of Hubbard's writings, and so little of it in "practice" (as based on any policy).

Granted, out of ALL of that, there is ONE isolated policy (What Is Greatness). I like the ideas in that policy, BUT it has little to do with ACTUAL Scientology, as practiced, and it probably was written more as "fluff" (PR, "good ideas" that function as "bait") - to attract eager new participants. You can be damn sure that over the past 30-40 years, that not ONE person has been crammed on THAT policy! I could be wrong - maybe one or two . . .

Petey C

This reminds me when I worked for a defense contractor. At the end of every email was
V/R or R. WTF, I said to myself? Turns out it means Very Respectfully. Always there, whether the email was respectful or not.

That's one I never heard of. This must have been England, right? I can't imagine anyone in the US saying Very Respectfully.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Much Love?

So where is "love" on the tone scale?

I thought Love was created by Psychiatrists in order to cave people in.

No wait, that was sex.

But I guess nobody will be ever having a CDEINR done on them with love for an item

Rd00

Petey C

Much Love?

So where is "love" on the tone scale?

I thought Love was created by Psychiatrists in order to cave people in.

No wait, that was sex.

But I guess nobody will be ever having a CDEINR done on them with love for an item

Rd00

Remind me what CDEINR is. I forgot.

Gadfly

Crusader

Curious about?

Desired?

Enforced?

Inhibited?

No . . . .

These "buttons" are "put in" when handling breaks in affinity, reality, communication or understanding.

Was that break in communication . . .

curious about communication?

desired communication?

enforced communication?

inhibited communication?

etc.

The idea is that a thetan starts out at the "top of the scale" simply curious, with no "charge" about things. Then, one mockups DESIRE (the locking factor with ANY reality), and as that desire gets thwarted or blocked, one sinks down to enforcing it. If THAT continues to get thwarted, then the desire becomes inhibited. And so on down the scale. Buddhist notions cite "desire" as the primary factor involved in "attachment" with any aspect of reality (subjective or objective). Hubbard's notions at times seem to imply that getting back up to "curious" would be a "good thing", with all the desire, force and inhibition removed from any person's "mind". But, as so often with Hubbard and Scientology, the "good ideas" often have very little to do with actual "as-practiced" Scientology.

To me there is some sense to the idea. Upsets (ARC breaks) can generally be categorized into one of these types (curious about, desiring, enforced, inhibited or none). Sadly, in Scientology there is an abundance of ENFORCED affinities, realities, agreements, understandings and communications. And also, of INHIBITED affinities, realities, agreements, understandings and communications (i.e. disconnection, books you can't read, web sites you can't look at, etc.).

It can always be fun and rewarding to examine, analyze and tear apart Scientology WITH Scientology ideas!

Last edited:

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
That's one I never heard of. This must have been England, right? I can't imagine anyone in the US saying Very Respectfully.

No, right here in the USA. Maybe due to the military culture of defense contractors, where previous rank is still "respected." Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, BAE, CACI, and a dozen other contractors are filled with ex-military. You would be surprised at the decorum at any military base or the Pentagon. Even while planning to send 20 year olds to their demise, they write the orders in formal, unemotional language. When the bodies come back, the funerals at Arlington Cemetery are just so, formal, respectful etc.

Part of the military-industrial complex.

Petey C

No, right here in the USA. Maybe due to the military culture of defense contractors, where previous rank is still "respected." Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, BAE, CACI, and a dozen other contractors are filled with ex-military. You would be surprised at the decorum at any military base or the Pentagon. Even while planning to send 20 year olds to their demise, they write the orders in formal, unemotional language. When the bodies come back, the funerals at Arlington Cemetery are just so, formal, respectful etc.

Part of the military-industrial complex.

... and kind of freaky too, to think about this. But I do remember a strain of formality in the USA when I lived there a few years ago, specially in the north east.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron

Curious
Desired
Enforced
Inhibited
No
Refused

Buttons for ARCX ruds.

The statement I made is an impossibility because "love" would never be an item for those buttons anyway.

The possible items would be affinity, reality,communication and understanding

Some would consider affinity to mean love

Then again some have stated that ARC is love

What a tangle web is weaved.

Rd00

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Nope, not kidding.

Hard as it may be to believe, my experiences are not the same as yours.

TG1

well I have gathered that - but seeing as Much Love Ron was on stuff pushed down to the orgs I must admit to being surprised.

Are you sure you were in Scientology and not the JW's or the Hare Krishnas?

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
---

When I see a total stranger's message closed not just with 'Love' but with 'ML', I want to write back:

tl;dr

too loving;didn't read