What's new

My in and out story part 1

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
One of the hardest things I ever faced was being abandoned by my group.

After the school fiasco, I had to find my way back to health and sanity by myself, with only the help of one close friend and some of my family. No-one in the world of Scientology gave a shit what happened to me, literally. Or to my children. After my first major surgery a family member arranged someone to come and give me an assist, the one and only. That person came purely as a personal favour. So for the second major operation, I learned to give assists to myself. :)

I suppose in a way that opened the door to understanding that everyone does in fact have abilities they may not be aware of, and do not need “certification” from anyone else to use.

duddins

Patron Meritorious
One of the hardest things I ever faced was being abandoned by my group.

After the school fiasco, I had to find my way back to health and sanity by myself, with only the help of one close friend and some of my family. No-one in the world of Scientology gave a shit what happened to me, literally. Or to my children. After my first major surgery a family member arranged someone to come and give me an assist, the one and only. That person came purely as a personal favour. So for the second major operation, I learned to give assists to myself. :)

I suppose in a way that opened the door to understanding that everyone does in fact have abilities they may not be aware of, and do not need “certification” from anyone else to use.

Hi freeto shine! Duddins (Bernadette) here. I saw your post today and decided to go back and read all of your posts on this thread. I am so glad that I did. I have seen your posts on XSO as well and I am thankful to you for sharing your story. It is really something isnt it? Going on with your life, discovering that there are amazing people all around us. In Scn we were fed intolerence. For example your homosexual friend. You are so right. We were taught that they were bad, 1.1, covertly hostile beings.

I met a guy in Mexico city. Gay as can be. He was a front page editor for one of the top newspapers in Mexico City. He was Peruvian. I barely had met him, but when my life had been threatened, he took me into his care. He helped me get a job, helped me look for and get set up in an apartment. He knew nothing of Scientology. He was just a caring, gentle being. 1.1. my ass! No sign of hostility covert or other. Just kindness.....asked for nothing in return. I wish I could thank him again for what he did for me.

Your story is amazing. You have been through quite an adventure. Much of it painful, and heart-breaking to read about let alone live through.

I hope life is good for you now and that you can sleep in peace and rest in knowing that there is a great deal of good in the world, despite all of the bad.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Hi freeto shine! Duddins (Bernadette) here. I saw your post today and decided to go back and read all of your posts on this thread. I am so glad that I did. I have seen your posts on XSO as well and I am thankful to you for sharing your story. It is really something isnt it? Going on with your life, discovering that there are amazing people all around us. In Scn we were fed intolerence. For example your homosexual friend. You are so right. We were taught that they were bad, 1.1, covertly hostile beings.

I met a guy in Mexico city. Gay as can be. He was a front page editor for one of the top newspapers in Mexico City. He was Peruvian. I barely had met him, but when my life had been threatened, he took me into his care. He helped me get a job, helped me look for and get set up in an apartment. He knew nothing of Scientology. He was just a caring, gentle being. 1.1. my ass! No sign of hostility covert or other. Just kindness.....asked for nothing in return. I wish I could thank him again for what he did for me.

Your story is amazing. You have been through quite an adventure. Much of it painful, and heart-breaking to read about let alone live through.

I hope life is good for you now and that you can sleep in peace and rest in knowing that there is a great deal of good in the world, despite all of the bad.

Thankyou so much for your support!
Yes, I have found a great deal of good in the last few years, often from unexpected sources. :happydance:
The hardest thing to recover from is the feeling (and attitude from others) that it's all my own fault, and I pulled it in.

duddins

Patron Meritorious
Thankyou so much for your support!
Yes, I have found a great deal of good in the last few years, often from unexpected sources. :happydance:
The hardest thing to recover from is the feeling (and attitude from others) that it's all my own fault, and I pulled it in.

You are right. You know what is funny. Today I was writing a message to someone and explaining how I had caught a cold from stress and staying up all night taking my daughter to emergency....and underneath, I was still fighting off the idea that I had pulled it in somehow. I made myself sick because I had done something I should not have done. PTS to some mystery SP that I had overts against.

Bottom line.....I had done what I needed to do for my child and it wore down my body's immune system. A virus entered my system, no doubt airborn and as my body fights it off, I feel ill and must rest. No magic, no crimes, no guilt.

The fact that it crossed my mind tells me volumes. At one point, as a scientologist, I believed that all that is good and all that is bad comes at us because of our own deeds. (Tell that to the dinosaurs. They pulled in one hell of an asteroid!!!)

I understand now, that it is not the events themselves that are the greatest factor. It is how we deal with them, and how we use those experiences that makes us who we are.

Example: A child victim of abuse.
Child did someting to pull this in? (Yeah Right!)
Granted, the child should be helped, so that child can get past this cruel act.
Child can then make a choice....to Help others that have suffered,
or inflict pain on others because of the hurt, or even to do nothing at all.

We make choices based on the things that have happened to us in our lives. We don't have a choice over the events themselves. That is a fairy tale.

If we can suffer and still love, still care about the suffering of others.......now that is magical.

Kerry

Patron with Honors
Shine, I've just finished reading this thread, and am just so in awe of how incredibly strong survivors of this cult are after having been through so much destruction. I admire you all so much. Thank you for sharing your story, and I have to say it's exciting to see you and others realize you know each other after so many years, or have so many people and situations in common. And it's great you found this site and told your story and let people know your life is good now! :) Yes, very cool about your father!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Shine, I've just finished reading this thread, and am just so in awe of how incredibly strong survivors of this cult are after having been through so much destruction. I admire you all so much. Thank you for sharing your story, and I have to say it's exciting to see you and others realize you know each other after so many years, or have so many people and situations in common. And it's great you found this site and told your story and let people know your life is good now! :) Yes, very cool about your father!

There are so many good and courageous people who have been in Scientology, or at least they start that way. They just have no bloody idea of what can happen - until it happens to them. I know I hung onto my ideals until they had been trampled and squished into a muddy mess and beyond recognition. :duh: At least these days there is the net and info immediately available - and places like this board with fellow travellers.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
My time in Scotland

At the request of The Illusioness here are some memories of Scotland.

I had visited Edinburgh in 1969 as I had joined the SO. I didn’t get to see much of the city though, as you can imagine. I remember grey…grey … and cobblestone streets. The buildings are grey, the roads are grey. And of course the skies. I wish now I had been able to really see beyond the confines.

My real experience of Scotland was when I blew Saint Hill with my new husband in 1970. He came from a small village called Garelochhead (village at the head of the Gare Loch) which is about 40 miles north of Glasgow I think. (I haven’t looked at a map in decades.)

It was a beautiful place. The village was crowded around the end of the loch, wee houses with boats out front, and surrounded by the mountains. Picture postcard beautiful, with snow showing almost all year round on their peaks. The first thing that struck me was the cold. Oh my God, it was cold to a young Aussie! I wore multiple layers and suffered badly and was told scornfully by the locals the only way to be comfortable was to aclimatise.

My mother-in-law hated me. I mean hated! Here was this young blonde Australian bimbo who had taken her adored son away from her. She always had pursed lips and she scared the shit outta me. She had been a single mother in a small Scottish village and raised him alone in the 50’s – that surely speaks to her personality! The fact that her son was a druggie (I found out after marrying him), a musician and had joined Scientology was apparently my fault as well.

Somehow we got by. I learned to shop in the tiny local grocery. We ate lots of canned goods and instant meals as I didn’t know how to cook, and she refused to other than a family meal now and then. But when she did cook it was glorious! Lots of haggis and turnips and mash, I loved it.

The only heating in the tiny hoose was a wood fire that also heated the water tank above it. So no hot water most of the day. When I washed clothes and hung them outside they tended to freeze solid. This was amazing to me and I’d go around knocking on them. It was winter btw.

I wanted to fit in, I had no intention of going back to East Grinstead, but it was almost impossible. I started having bad headaches and went to the local doctor. Within an hour my mother-in-law asked me if I was pregnant (and didn’t look pleased at the prospect). Apparently I had been seen by all the locals walking away from the surgery with a green form (diet sheet) that was usually handed out to pregnant ladies! Word spread fast in that place, the curtains twitched whenever I went out. It’s funny looking back on it now.

I loved to roam the local hills above the village. The views were so breathtaking, I can remember them still, and the smell of truly fresh air. I remember going on a picnic once, a great outdoor event on another close by loch. Terrific food, good company and a million bloody European wasps. It didn’t seem to bother anyone else..eeek, they were crawling all over the food.

Every afternoon at 4pm we had to go to my husband’s grandparent’s house for High Tea. This was very ritualised, with a precise number of cakes and tea. I liked them, they were very down to earth and only saw their grandson starting life with a new wife, unlike his mother. Then dinner was 8-9pm and that was a full meal.

There was a local Mission in Helensburgh, not too far away. I went there a few times with the intention of working towards getting back on lines, but I don’t remember much about it.

The funniest thing about my life in Scotland was that I started to mimic the accent.
“Och away wi’ya, ya daft wee hen” etc. It became so pronounced that towards the end of my time there my mother couldn’t understand me on the phone. I can still translate Billy Connolly quite well.

I finally had to leave after a year as my husband was bloody nuts and becoming voilent. So I caught a train south and went back to Saint Hill.

I remember that time with a mixture of nostalgia and awe at my own niavete. I must have been truly bizarre to the locals, like someone from another planet. :D

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Oh and my husband's family did have a tartan, and it was worn. I won't tell you what was worn under the kilt however. :D

nw2394

Silver Meritorious Patron
My real experience of Scotland was when I blew Saint Hill with my new husband in 1970. He came from a small village called Garelochhead (village at the head of the Gare Loch) which is about 40 miles north of Glasgow I think. (I haven’t looked at a map in decades.)

It was a beautiful place....

If you don't mind some rain, the west of Scotland is quite a key out sort of location.

There was a local Mission in Helensburgh, not too far away. I went there a few times with the intention of working towards getting back on lines, but I don’t remember much about it.

Ah, so you met Sheena and Hunter Robertson then. Sheena was cool. I guess they must have passed on, they weren't young when I knew them in the mid 70s up to about 82.

Nick

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
If you don't mind some rain, the west of Scotland is quite a key out sort of location.

Ah, so you met Sheena and Hunter Robertson then. Sheena was cool. I guess they must have passed on, they weren't young when I knew them in the mid 70s up to about 82.

Nick

Hey thanks for that - Sheena and Hunter, yes, now it comes back. I always thought their names were like music. Nice people.:)

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks so much for sharing your life with me.

Your story is one of giving and contributing and sharing and caring.

Your generosity is rare.

It's the people like you, that cause the people like me, to want to better ourselves.

T.I.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Free to Shine,

What an amazing story. I hope your health is fine now. I can't imagine having 3 babies, having surgery and not having anyone to really help you.

Thank you for sharing.