What's new

Purification Rundown

oudeis

Patron
There has been quite a bit of discussion about the Purification Rundown on another thread about Narconon. This thread will just be for people to post describing their own experiences while doing the Purification RD.

Sone things I'm particularly interested in:

a.) Did you suffer any unexpected side effects from the program?

b.) Was it done at an org/mission, Narconon, a health center, a freezone org or some other kind of detox or counselling group?

c.) If you have done the Purification Rundown twice, what was different about it the second time?

d.) What did you think about the Rundown?

Sky

Patron with Honors
I did the Purif once and didn't see much of any difference afterwards. I hadn't done any illegal drugs and so my lack of great success was pretty much brushed off as not much to run out.

The only reactions I had were the niacin flushes and once I got really nauseous, which I thought may have been alcohol running out or something. I was really happy to be done with it though--I did mine during a very hot July.

One thing I thought was kind of funny... I got a lower score on my IQ test that I took after I finished.

Sky

oudeis

Patron
I did the Purif once and didn't see much of any difference afterwards. I hadn't done any illegal drugs and so my lack of great success was pretty much brushed off as not much to run out.

The only reactions I had were the niacin flushes and once I got really nauseous, which I thought may have been alcohol running out or something. I was really happy to be done with it though--I did mine during a very hot July.

One thing I thought was kind of funny... I got a lower score on my IQ test that I took after I finished.

Sky

I also got nauseous towards the end of the program when the niacin doses were pretty huge. Threw up all over the hallway one time. Didn't eat enough for lunch or something. Nobody else I knew had that happen, though.

I never had much of a drug history either. Plenty of sunburns & chemical exposures, though (including getting doused with malathion insecticide while spraying apple trees). Forgot about it until I smelled it again in the sauna.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I've got my share of grievences against the church in general, as well as some specific tech I'd like to see banished, but I can't lie about my purif experience. I loved it.

It's what *made* me into a Scientologist.

I had quite a heavy drug history and so I was ripe for the rundown.

It went for 14 days and I never got into the sky high niacin doses.

I had these old sunburns turn on, it was quite amazing. Old bather patterns emerged, a new one every day. One day when I was out of the sauna taking a break, the purif IC walked past and asked why I had the outline of a butterfly on my back. I went onto the bathroom to look and it was the perfect outline of the butterfly clip that joined the back of my bathers together when I was 12 years old. It was white, while the rest of my back was red. I don't know how or why, but it seems niacin does react with old sunburn.

After 14 days of the purif I woke up one day sooo incredibly full of energy and like I wanted to do cartwheels down the hall. I felt so alive! I could see clearly, smell EVERYTHING and I felt wonderful. I went in and attested that day. A week or so later I joined staff.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think I understand where some or most of these gains came from.

Previous to doing the purif I was living a pretty wild life. Out of control might be accurate. I wasn't eating well, sometimes not at all. I was sleepin erratically, doing drugs, getting no exercise, drinking a LOT of alcohol and staying up very late partying. I felt like shit and knew that if I kept this up I'd end up dead. I needed to change.

So for two weeks I forced myself to eat well (lots of fresh fruit and veges and high quality meats), drink a LOT of water whilst in and out of the sauna, sleep 8 regular hours and of course I was getting a lot of vitamins with the purif program. I was having to exercise at least once a day with the 20 minute run and I had time to relax and unwind in the sauna. Needless to say I stopped all drugs.

So of course I felt better! Who wouldn't? Was it the "magic" of the Scn tech that did it? Or was it that I was taking care of my health for the first time in years. I think it was the latter, and the purif was the vehicle that made me do that.

Having said that, I still can't explain the sunburn. It was real.

oudeis

Patron
I had these old sunburns turn on, it was quite amazing. Old bather patterns emerged, a new one every day. One day when I was out of the sauna taking a break, the purif IC walked past and asked why I had the outline of a butterfly on my back. I went onto the bathroom to look and it was the perfect outline of the butterfly clip that joined the back of my bathers together when I was 12 years old. It was white, while the rest of my back was red. I don't know how or why, but it seems niacin does react with old sunburn.

I once read an account of a young man's Purif (might have been Danny or Chris Masterson, not sure) which gives a funny example of this butterfly clip effect you mentioned.

It seems the young man was in the Purif sauna and turned on a niacin flush. Emblazoned on his red chest were the white letters; D O R K.
One of his brothers had long ago written the epithet on him when he fell asleep at the beach, and got a sunburn.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
That's encouraging to read, E. I freaking hated the purif, myself. It's nice to know someone got something out of it. I was at one of the FZ get togethers I sometimes arrange in Seattle, and I said that, and nobody gave me a bad time about it, but a couple people did say they had stuff like that occur and felt it could be a good thing.

I don't knolw if my Purif I/C was just no good or what, but I had nothing happen except a whole lot of sweating and farting.

Oh, and they made me drink more and more oil every day til I was up to a cup. The more I drank, the more weight I gained, the more weight I gained, the more they made me drink.

Bleah. Oil. Bleah.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Nah, dude (or dudette), just put yer auditor's hat on...

You'll be happy to know that I don't feel particularly farty today.

I will try and think of some other bodily functions to discuss, however. :bow: :lol:

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
There has been quite a bit of discussion about the Purification Rundown on another thread about Narconon. This thread will just be for people to post describing their own experiences while doing the Purification RD.

Sone things I'm particularly interested in:

a.) Did you suffer any unexpected side effects from the program?

b.) Was it done at an org/mission, Narconon, a health center, a freezone org or some other kind of detox or counselling group?

c.) If you have done the Purification Rundown twice, what was different about it the second time?

d.) What did you think about the Rundown?

I got the shits from all the oil I had to drink. Not surprising, really.

ron's hat

Patron with Honors
Nah, dude (or dudette), just put yer auditor's hat on...

You'll be happy to know that I don't feel particularly farty today.

I will try and think of some other bodily functions to discuss, however. :bow: :lol:

Are you stuck in some sort of anal phase? maybe you should be studying Freud. not Hubbard.

Div6

Crusader
I was out of shape when I started the Purif....but I gradually came to like the running. Being a smoker did not help. It was the first service I did. My EP was exterior, with perception and ability to postulate. That was what I got into Scn for. Of course, it was about a year and a half later before I got an Int Handling....:eek:

I liked it. I wanted others to have the same wins. Still do.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Hated the oil. Hated taking all those pills. By the time I was close to being done, I was on the 5,000 mg does of Niacin. Took them in 100 mg tablets.

That's 50 frickin' pills, just the Niacin, not counting the other mass of vitamins I had to take.

Ugh.

Loved the running. I was in the SO by then and I was already a runner and never had time to run. So it was a good excuse for me.

Didn't mind the sauna. I used to read in there, although all the books I had usually disintegrated before I had a chance to finish them.

I'd say basically I pretty much liked it.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was one of the first on the Purif before "clarification" bulletins were issued. Actually they were bulletins to correct LRH's original, innacurate and vague bulletins.

Anyway the upshot of being an early "testee" was that I was taking so many pills Including 100mg niacin pillls like Lulu Belle - I think I ended up taking 100 niacin alone. But also all the other vits were increased by the same ratio.

This was before David Gaiman got supplies together to sell for the purif including 1000mg niacin. So my only supply was the local branch of a national pharmacy who ran out and asked me why I was getting so much niacin every day! I ended up having to travel to different phamacies to get batches of niacin to make up the daily requirement.

I was taking so many pills, my stomach (stomache!) was so full, I stopped eating food altogether - literally!

I was on it for several months increasing the doses of all the vits all the time because LRH's original bulletins said that is what you did.

I ended up being qualled and that is when I realised, in an interview that I was not eating any food at all. Because I was permanently filled with pills, I hadn'e even noticed I wasn't eating any food, until the Qual Sec asked me what my daily food intake was! My "case" ended up on a bulletin as a "case history".

Because I still got the niacin flush from the ever-increasing niacin doses, all my doses kept increasing because that is what LRH's careless, original issues said to do.

Even the oil and cal-mag was supposed to increase in the same ratio so I was swallowing huge quantities, but I'll get my withold off here and confess I didn't take the full mega-doses of the repulsive stuff.

I think in the end, my C/S and I went mutual out-ruds and I attested to completion because nothing else was turning on except the niacin flush which we not-ised, because it wasn't so bad one day!

Urgh! LRH was dreadfully irresponsible over that rundown, luckily my case history and others caused more moderate tech terminals to "clarify" LRH's issues before too many other people got put on it.

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow! - That is a scary write up Lionheart!

Did you suffer any long-term damaging after-effects from this?

Alan

Last edited:

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow! - That is a scary write up Lionheart!

Did you suffer any long-term damaging after-effects from this?

Alan

Not sure. I was reasonably young and healthy, but I did seem to have digestive, stomach problems ever since and increased weight. But who is to say these were not things that I would have got as I moved in to middle age and later.

I have type II Diabetes now, but again many people my age do develop this, still I do sometimes wonder...

I can't remember what I was on in the end, but I remember going through the 100 x 100mg niacin tablets a day threshold. The tablets were quite small, but a hundred of them took some swallowing and left me feeling full. I had to spread taking the other tablets over the whole day because there were so many with all the other vits. I used to eat a small tin of rice pudding to help swallow the pills, but in the end I was too full to eat the pudding so I would just eat the vits neat!

I didn't notice that I had stopped eating, I suppose because I never felt hungry!

Sounds mad! :duh:

I can't remember the exact original LRH bulletin advice, but basically you just kept upping ALL the vits, oil and Cal-mag in equal ratios. Oh, no! I think I remember going up to 150 x 100 niacin! :no: I've just remembered three piles of 50 pills!

Basically, the point I am making is that LRH was reckless with his purif bulletins with little care for his "parishoners". I think he was "being right" asserting his earlier radiation and vitamin theories.

I remember how the bulletins had to quickly have notes added to them by the "Board of Directors" clarifying that the purif handled "restimulative" effects of drugs, because LRH had emphasised the physical flushing out of the drugs.

I think he was just on his fifties hobby-horse and idiots like me were the fall-guys. This was the first hint I got that LRH could possibly be a liabilty to the Church with his extravangant claims and lack of sensitivity to the legal postion he was putting the church in by demanding physical handlings for physical conditions.

So the purif became a fudge between him and the Church.

Last edited:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
My experience seems to have been pretty much like Sky's. Not a great deal happened.

I did a three hour program instead of five hours, and to be honest, the best time I had was on a day when I had no twin. I was entirely on my own. I laid down on the bench, with a wet towel wrapped around my head and dozed through most of the time. The worst part was the I/C having to check that I was still alive. :)

I got up to about 3000 mg of Niacin, until one day something was different. I still haven't figured out what that something was.

If anyone knows what the formula is for balancing vitamins against Niacin, and whether it has any independent substance, that would also be greatly appreciated.