What's new

Question about "Silent Birth"

Nicole

Silver Meritorious Patron
I am having a question about the silent birth....

After the Silent Birth, the Baby should be put alone in a room. Hubbard said for ca. one day... :ohmy:

Is this really for one day? ...or exists examples of a longer time... and what is with feed for the baby or get they changed the diaper???

Processing shouldn't made for ca. 3 days... That does mean no assist etc. should be made in this days.. But what is with holding the baby in mothers arm etc.?

This is so horrible the poor baby and the poor mom. :angry:

A Newborn needs love and the mother. The mother needs her baby too. The contact in the first days is imo very important for the mother and the child. The sense of basic trust grows at this point of time.

What is with breast-feeding? The mother hasn't a decision to do this, because for a good start in breast-feeding you need the first days. Oh je:duh:, I forget babys should drink Hubbards milk :angry::grouch::angry:

HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
WASHINGTON, D.C.
HCO BULLETIN OF 20 DECEMBER 1958

(An article for any Scientology Magazine authorized by a Central
Organization)

PROCESSING A NEW MOTHER

The handling of a woman during and after pregnancy has a specific successful
drill which should be generally known. This is not an attempt to give all
the known data concerning pregnancy, delivery and child care. I will
someday summarize all these. At this time I wish to give you only the
processes and general use.

First, a woman should not be processed on engrams after the early months.
Therefore a pregnant woman should be processed toward clear early and well.
In other words she should be gotten in good shape soon in the pregnancy. Old
Expanded Gita on babies, husbands, wives, bodies is definitely indicated.

After the sixth month only havingness and general Scientology processes can
be run without injuring the baby -- no engrams.

Next, the delivery itself should carry as little anaesthetic as possible, be
as calm and no-talk as possible and the baby should not be bathed or chilled
but should be wrapped somewhat tightly in a warm blanket, very soft, and
then left alone for a day or so.

At once after delivery the woman should have simple havingness run -- "Look
around here and find something you have" -- preferably by the husband. One
hour of this at once, one more hour same day, two hours following day, all
havingness and havingness only should be run.

After two days run the following:

"Invent something worse than -- a delivery" (flatten it), "... a baby" (flatten
it), "... a doctor" (flatten it), "... a nurse" (flatten it), "... a delivery
room" (flatten it), "... a mother" (flatten it), "... a husband" (flatten it),
"... an abdomen" (flatten it), "... a womb" (flatten it).

This should be done in next many days following the delivery. This and more
factual havingness (all 3 commands) should straighten up the mother. It would
be well if the six buttons and inventing were cleared away in early pregnancy
so the post-pregnancy processes will run easily. She shouldn't face a new
processing idea in the first few days after delivery, so if the processes are
early prepared, all will be well.

On the baby, perhaps the best thing is *no* processing for three days. Then
talk to the baby, tell the newcomer he or she is welcome, then make friends.
Various things can be done -- touch assist is best. Even the birth engram
can be run but that's a little adventurous in a lot of cases.

The most to know about the baby is not to tire him or her unduly for a week
or so, feed a protein formula if mother not breast feeding. This formula is
most like human milk. I picked it up in Roman days and have used it since --
15 ounces of barley water, 10 ounces of homogenized milk, 3 ounces Karo syrup
(this can be multiplied by any number according to the number of bottles
desired but the ratio remains the same). Evaporated or condensed milk and
heavy sugar make fat not bone. *Protein* is the thing that heals and makes
strong growth. Modern hospital formulas and patent mixes for babies are not
just bad, they are criminal.

Then the next important thing for a baby is to know he or she is winning.
Don't expect him or her to do more than a baby can do. Grant beingness to a
*baby*.

"You make that body lie in that cradle" is wonderful on babies up to six
months.

Let the child see Mama and Daddy both at least once a day. Never quarrel or
argue in front of a baby or a child -- it destroys security.

Always treat mama and baby with courtesy and respect and they'll thrive. After
all, they *have* done something. They're keeping the human race going.

L. RON HUBBARD

LRH:gn.rd
Copyright (c) 1958
by L. Ron Hubbard
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/f6427787a2b548ac

Miss Pert

Nicole, I am not maternal and have never been a mother so probably not really the best person to answer. However, while Hubbard wrote a LOT of crap I also think that some people took what he wrote just a little too literally.

I believe when he wrote this he still intended for the mother to feed and care for the baby, I know he was nuts but I don't think he was nuts enough to expect new mum to leave her child helpless for any length of time. I believe the idea is to leave the mother and child in peace for a couple of days and not to have everyone else holding the baby and passing it from person to person googoo gahing in its face. Actually it sounds like a good idea to me, I think that's how I would like it if I was a new mum, so long as my own mum could still be there. :yes:

On breast feeding, it is still encouraged but if the mother can't or doesn't want to then he recommends that revolting barley formula muck which IMO is absolute crap.

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I see nothing wrong in a calm quiet birth followed by plenty of calm rest for both mother and baby. Allowing for a hugs and feeding of course. People running around shouting, covered in blood, panicking followed by the new one stuck in a small room full of babies screaming is not to be recommended, surely, by anyone.

See this link on the Leboyer method, that's the one LHR recommended.

http://childbirth.me.uk/laboyer.php

Not all births though can be calm, things do go wrong and only a red haired, fat sociopath would recommend that there's not even a paracetamol to help the slight discomfort caused by the equivalent of pushing a watermelon through a letter box.

Nicole

I am a mother of two kids and I got my two kids in two different hospitals, with two different methods...

During the first birth it was pure chaos around me. I felt me in the hospital like a "number", not as a human... It was a disaster and ended after 24 hours in a emegency C-section. The birth of my first kid was full of stress for me and my child.

For my second child I choose a better doctor and hospital. The doctor was there for me the whole pregnancy and during the birth she was there too. It was a planned C-section and I was awake during the C-section, because I had a local anaesthetic. I felt me in secure. She put her arm around me and was there. I had always the feeling she was there for me. ..and my second child was from the first second of its life in my near, I never gave this child to somebody else.

So I understand that "silent" during a birth can be very important and after it needs the mother and the child a break and time for each other, I agree with this point. The better the "atmosphere", the better the "birth"... and important is that the mother can choose HER way to get her baby...

But I am really interested how Hubbard meant what he has written... I am not really sure about the meaning and the German translation of the HCOB I have found is very different to the English original...

Instead of "is *no* processing for three days" in the German version stands (back translated in English) "nothing to do with the baby for three days".

Edit:
Link for the German text... http://www.ilsehruby.at/GeburteinesThetans.html

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
<...snip>
But I am really interested how Hubbard meant what he has written... I am not really sure about the meaning and the German translation of the HCOB I have found is very different to the English original...

Instead of "is *no* processing for three days" in the German version stands (back translated in English) "nothing to do with the baby for three days".

It looks like a mistranslation. No processing (auditing) is something quite different from "nothing to do with".

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I understand that with Leboyer he actually acknowledged the source as not being himself. Though I have no proof of that, and it is out of character.

Translation is never easy and I can understand that mistranslation would be confusing.

I found that a new born baby is perfectly able to read your thoughts, flowing welcome, safety and love will be understood. No need for words.

A new born has a lot of healing to do, I think the first few days should be quiet and calm, but it should be fed and weighed and checked, even blood tested and the like, just calmly. Nurses can be keen to scrub the poor thing, especially the head, I think it should be kept to a minimum. They work on the idea of lets get it all done now and then the child can rest, when we know that it doesn't need surgery and that the heart is strong. Kids could die if just left for three days, not a good idea, not after all that hard work by mother and baby.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
It's not even a requirement in Scn. These are just recommendations he made in Dianetics, AFAIK.

And left alone doesn't mean left all alone. He means to not BOTHER the baby.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I know a gal who swears the barley formula " saved ger babies life ".
At the time, she was a scio and for whatever reason could not breast feed.

She has long since left the group. The baby grew into a bright healthy man that is a good person.

I suspect she feels the "one good thing " she got out of scn was the barley formula.

I happen to believe in home birth and the nurses we used ( back in the day ) were non scio and suggested the births be as quiet and low light as possible.

One of the first things I thought Hubbard was full of shit about was the barley formula being better than mother's milk. Never used it. That was my first disagreement with the tech!. N

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I guess I forgot it was an HCOB. Still and all, I don't think the HCOB says all families have to do it. Nor does it say throw the baby in a corner in another room and like starve him and stuff.

Sindy

Crusader
I think silent births are a good thing but reading this and seeing Hubbard act like he knew anything about children just makes my hair stand on end. He has NO right, in my book, to talk about parenting in any way, shape or form. Zero.

God, did he have to pretend to be the authority on absolutely everything? :melodramatic:

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
LRH was and is a known liar and charlatan. Anything he said about raising/having babies and children is either highly suspect or flat out horseshit.

Regarding the "barley formula". Where did he get his information that that formula was the 'best' for a newborn? Where? Did he reference any studies by pediatricians? No. Did he provide any information about any studies at all regarding the nutritional value of the formula? No. Nothing of the sort. He just spat out bullshit people bought it. This was a man more interested in his 'know-it-all' reputation than the true health and well being of infants. He was a disgusting man. :angry:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
I know a gal who swears the barley formula " saved ger babies life ".
At the time, she was a scio and for whatever reason could not breast feed.

She has long since left the group. The baby grew into a bright healthy man that is a good person.

I suspect she feels the "one good thing " she got out of scn was the barley formula.

I happen to believe in home birth and the nurses we used ( back in the day ) were non scio and suggested the births be as quiet and low light as possible.

One of the first things I thought Hubbard was full of shit about was the barley formula being better than mother's milk. Never used it. That was my first disagreement with the tech!. N

Hey, whats the matter with Hubbard's sekrit barley formula gleaned from his perfect mind's recall of his days in the Roman Empire? Oh ya, its fucking utter horse-shit!
:barf3:
The next best thing to mom's milk is probably goat juice, and thats a fact imho.

Hubbard's parenting skills were, um, none existant as far as I have ever read, he denied half his kids, had one off himself due to LRH's wonderful attitude of supremacy, and should have stuck to playing with his 'low hanging balls' rather than messing with coat-hangers, families, and people's minds~ greedy fuck that he was. :grouch:

He was a creep by any sense of the word in my opinion, and was a disgrace to this wonderful planet. He might have actually had a chance to make a few things better for the world, but instead proved to be yet another abstraction in the face of life's realities.

Fuck you dead Papa LRon, may you spin in the bowels of 'the hells that be' forever.

:yes:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I had three homebirths while I was a scio, all very successful and wonderful experiences. I didn't go along with the total silence bit at all, we just had a nice calm environment and after each birth it was all about quiet bonding from there on. To me it wasn't about anything scientology said, but what we wanted to do as parents.

I used the stupid barley formula after I finished breastfeeding, thinking it was the right thing to do and it destroyed my children's baby teeth. And it was hell cooking the bloody barley. That's one thing I do regret doing. :grouch:

Nicole

I find it very interessting that the mothers that post here in the thread have reacted after their "feeling" and "forgot" during the birth Hubbards "total silent Tech".:coolwink: So the nature works here against Hubbards Tech.

To the barley formula, my kids had luck that I was "far away" from Scientology at this point of time, so I never thought about using. I used breastfeeding until they could eat, what I cooked. Imo breastfeeding let the relationship between mother and child grow.

But I remember during the pregnancy I was allways scared to "injure" my baby... I really thought often about the Engramm BS and as the first birth was not a perfect one... I had really problems with the Engramm mindf*ck shit. I often wonder how deep this is inside my mind, it still is.:duh:

But now after some years, I can see that my kid is very normal, has no problems and it is very lucky. The best example for Engramms doesn't exist. :yes: