What's new

Really, really REALLY leaving scientology

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I've been around here for quite a long time, and when I first arrived found great comfort in being able to tell my story and finding people who had lived similar situations. After decades of scio indoctrination dictating my responses to every situation in life, it took a long time to be able to stand back enough to be able to start spotting those automaticities. I did most of it alone, over a very long time and it was a very hard and slow process. The way I was raised and the way I lived most of my life always, always always had the immediate scientology 'filter' between me and the world as others saw it. Although aware of it, I felt it the right thing to keep peering through it, as I had been taught for so long. I worked a lot out for myself as I had no choice having been abandoned by the very thing that was supposed to help me.

For example, such simple things as immediately switching channels on tv should any bad news about scio come on, having my only real friends and acquaintances be scientologists because "no-one else understood", assigning someone mentally a label or a condition. Done without real thought or critical thinking, looking back shows me what a great deal of life that was right in front of me that I missed due to the prejudices.

And it IS prejudice of the most extreme kind, and I can see now how it is designed that way, thanks to threads here. Even if you should actually leave the organisation for a while after the odd ethics hiccup, looking elsewhere for solutions is short circuited before you have a chance to explore them, and you tended to end up back at Square One telling an Ethics officer why you were such a bad person.

I think if you allow yourself to start to look at other spiritual paths, you are well on the way to recovery.

So what happens if your view of life is so coloured by "how it should be" for your eternal salvation and the agonised future of every being on the planet, when the door is firmly closed? When you are chucked to the wolves/wogs in the real world to sink or swim? Told you are one of the small percent trying to destroy the world instead? I'm not talking about those who figured it out early on and walked, but those of us who were raised in scio or who for whatever reason spent 20/30/40 years under it's umbrella?

Well there are many stories here of how we coped as individuals. The distress, despair, self doubt and struggle to find ourselves again. Those stories need to be read as a first step, because not only do they inspire, they also shed light on HOW IT HAPPENS, how you can begin to seperate out from the 'circuits' that stop you thinking.

Then you discuss it.

And here's the crunch - we need to allow discussion of different viewpoints and to actually try and understand what others write even though internally you may be screaming "but you just don't understand!" or "everything you are saying is bullshit and why can't you see that (insert scio tech here) covers that!" We need to be willing to look and listen, to take a deep breath and begin to consider perhaps some of this could be valid.

Early on here I used to get upset at the constant Freezone and tech threads. I used to think "how can anyone possibly endlessly discuss that?" Yet I read quite a lot anyway and found some of the tech discussions actually did shed light on what had happened to me in auditing. The discussions on cognitive dissonance, TRs, indoctrination and most of all JARGON are invaluable insights into how we we ended up the way we did. It's an individual journey though and not one size fits all.

Arnie Lerma's 8 Steps out of Scientology is a valuable guide. Many people will stall on the later steps, and that's OK too - we do choose our futures and have a right to our beliefs.

I have said many times I am grateful for ESMB as it allowed me to shed those last lingering and very potent and hidden scio dictates on life. I have seen this board ebb and flow with different themes and personalities. As a new influx of exes arrive, the discussions change, the focus changes to the interests of those around at the time. Mini groups form of friends who cling to the familiar ways of thinking and shared real life experiences. It happens. Unfortunately sometimes that also means that the discussions become unbalanced, with those still seeing through scientology eyes drowning out the very pearls of wisdom that could show them a whole new world.

I wasn't going to do this, but for some reason this morning it seemed right. I have contributed a lot to this board and to the exscn site, in gratitude for being able to voice my thoughts. I have made some lovely friends and hopefully helped some along the way. However the current climate here is not nice and I find that I have little to add to discussions as it feels unsafe to disagree with the loudest posters. It will pass, it always does, but I have better things to do right now than watch another scientology inspired drama.

I really enjoyed bringing picket reports, media news, BFG stories and Anonymous info here for those who may have missed it elsewhere. I am sure someone can continue that for me. Scientology IS cracking apart and the crimes ARE being exposed at long last. People who are being tortured and hurt will be able to see daylight again and the and those held in thrall will have the spell broken and be able to see again. My heart cries for those who can't see they are still being manipulated, both "in" and "out" of scientology by it's very nature, yet I have also realised that as individuals we always have a choice and perhaps these very experiences will be what finally allows personal awareness.

It's not a matter of "graduating" or even "getting on with real life". There seems to be a current theme that it's actually not OK for some to post a lot, ie that means they are obsessed or don't have a life, yet celebrated when others reach a high post count. I think we all post exactly as much as we need and there should be no judgement on that. To do so is reducing conversation to stats, and we all know what that means.

Most of the dissention and upset I have seen on this board has originated with misunderstandings from those who are very hurt. Yes, it's not a "kindergarten", it's an internet site where people have been allowed to finally release some of the pain they have felt for a long time and to find a voice. If they are jumped on and attacked, then it is just a repeat of what they are trying to come to terms with from scientology, and it easily escalates into nastiness. Compassion for that true suffering in others, and empathy for the pain goes a long way towards our own healing and can ease any upsets if applied with kindness and patience.

Thankyou Lionheart and Headend (and Beyond Horizons) for helping me understand how to let go. Thankyou ABJ, Escalus, Nexus and numerous others for helping me learn how to write my feelings. Thankyou Pixie for your honesty and humour. Thankyou Neo for your courage, and to all those actually at the front lines doing something about it. Thankyou Tansy for reminding me that cynical humour can also be very funny at times and allowing me to laugh. Thankyou Schwimmy for your wonderful humour as well. Thankyou WO for your compassion and open heart, Tamasin for surviving and telling your story, the same for Twin A and Bea and all the many others. Thankyou Power Change, Olska and Knight Vision for daring to speak your truth. Hey, thanks even to the FZers who provided a bottom line to measure my progress away from scio against! Thankyou Emma for creating this board. Many I haven't mentioned, but you get my drift. What a wonderful mix of people I feel honoured to have met.

I'll be around somewhere... maybe... please be kind to each other.

FTS

Last edited:

byte301

Crusader
FTS,

I hate to see you go. You will be missed. Your contributions to this board were epic.

Take care of yourself and I hope you drop by every now and then.:yes:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
FTS,

So often your presence and contributions here shone freely to me. Thank you.

It is with great respect that I admire your freedom to come and stay, stay and go as you choose. Keep shining wherever you may be.:thumbsup:

Love,
DC

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
FTS,

I'll miss you. But I totally get what you are saying in your post. Only in the last day or so I've started posting again (other than on the kitten thread). I, too, came here to heal and recover. I didn't come here to be judged or belittled for my viewpoint, so I've basically slipped into lurking mode.

I have other things I'm recovering from besides the CofS. So I've found other message boards to cover those needs.

I wish you well.

Kathy:bighug:

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
I haven't gotten to become one of your "cyber buddies" on this board, but I've certainly noticed your contribution. I really resonated with the first part of your post, up to having had bad experiences on ESMB. I haven't had a bad experience really (yet?) and I'm sorry you did. But it sounds like you got what you came for. Thank you for your presence here and all the best to you in your life to come. I love your flickering pink hat. :)

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Gonna miss ya FTS :bigcry: :goodluck: - you've been a major comtributor to what this board is and does. :clap:

Hopefully you'll still lurk at least? :begging:

Pixie

Crusader
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

FTS I am lost for words here. :bigcry: This is a most wonderful, articulate, honest and heartfelt post, and I understand what you are saying here completely.

You have been a most kind and understanding poster with a huge heart and a balanced view. I have also apprciated your contributions regarding keeping us informed and updated with current events. You have made many excellent contributions to this board for sure.

I will miss you very much, I don't know what else to say at this point. :bigcry:

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hey Free,
Thank you for those gorgeous words and the tip of the hat. Please accept my fondest returns.

I hope you find all that you wish for.

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
Thank you

The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran

And a man said, "Speak to us of Self-Knowledge."
And he answered, saying:
Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights.
But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge.
You would know in words that which you have always know in thought.
You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams.
And it is well you should.
The hidden well-spring of your soul must needs rise and run murmuring to the sea;
And the treasure of your infinite depths would be revealed to your eyes.
But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure;
And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line.
For self is a sea boundless and measureless.
Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth."
Say not, "I have found the path of the soul." Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path."
For the soul walks upon all paths.
The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed.
The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals.

----------------------------------------------

And a youth said, "Speak to us of Friendship."
Your friend is your needs answered.
He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.
And he is your board and your fireside.
For you come to him with your hunger, and you seek him for peace.
When your friend speaks his mind you fear not the "nay" in your own mind, nor do you withhold the "ay."
And when he is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart;
For without words, in friendship, all thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born and shared, with joy that is unacclaimed.
When you part from your friend, you grieve not;
For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain.
And let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit.
For love that seeks aught but the disclosure of its own mystery is not love but a net cast forth: and only the unprofitable is caught.
And let your best be for your friend.
If he must know the ebb of your tide, let him know its flood also.
For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?
Seek him always with hours to live.
For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness.
And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.
For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.

---------------------------------------

:bighug:

Neo

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Can't say I like this at all! - I can't even make up anything funny about it... Perhaps I need to make another post in the 'Pooh Pooh Pants thread'?

Wonderful post BTW, Free To Shine.

You go on shining now!

And don't throw away you password!

:hattip:

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
:bighug:

Good Luck.

I know we all have a point where we decide we have moved on.

I hope your life is filled with happiness and love.

And, it's okay to pass this way on occasion, and say hello.

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Free,

My very best wishes to you:rose: :rose:

Do you really have to leave for good? Can you visit from time to time--maybe?

You were one of the first to welcome me when I first arrived and you were very warm and kind to me.:yes: thank you.

Love,

TP

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I think you have been a huge asset to the growth, maintenance and success of ESMB, FTS.

You can know that, with what you've done here, many have been helped.

Good luck in your travels, and may you use what you've learned from all this to continue to help others.

Allen

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
FTS, many here probably do not know your full contributions to ESMB. The posts about the pickets are just the tip of the mountain of work you put into the creation and maintenance of the board and the EcScn site.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all the fantastic work you have done for exes and people on this site. So very many people owe you so much for their process of recovering from the CofS.

You have been a great mover and shaker. A wonderful friend and loyal beyond belief.

Neo, your words are so to the point and so wonderfully moving.

Good voices, go silent eventually, such is life. May you continue to heal yourself and others in whatever way your inner life choses!

Your analysis of ESMB is truly wonderful and cause for thought. I am remembering your arrival on ESMB.

Oh bright was that September day!
When freedom shone on us to say
There is love and compassion and healing and hope

You will shine on us forever! :yes:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Thankyou so much for the replies, I must admit a wee .>>> :bigcry: Your individual words mean a great deal.

The point of my post isn't about me withdrawing, that just sort of evolved as I wrote it, for my own reasons. It's not about "getting on with real life" in any way, because posting here IS real life and as long as I have family hostage to the cult, then my life is affected in many ways and always will be. Of course I want to know the news and if I see something going on that interests me I will comment. It's just not going to take such a large percentage of my time.

I guess I was trying to make the point that you really, really leave scio when you are free to look and practice other things without guilt and about the best thing we long term escapees can do is work very hard at being able to shift our viewpoints a few degrees so that we can see not only the alternatives but the true wonder of concepts alien to scio (like love and loyalty) that hover just beyond our sight when blinkered with the brainwashing.

See, I bet the word "brainwashing" causes some shudders in some people. Yet bottom line, it was. It doesn't make us stupid, it just means there is a bit of work to understand what happened.

We are really, really REALLY over scio when we never ever use a jargon concept as automatic first choice! Learn to speak English again (or your native language)! The process of doing that and discussing it freely will loosen a great deal of invisible bonds.

Talk about it, accept the input of other people who have already walked that path and consider it for yourself, don't create machiavellian dramas and scenarios based on personality (which is all too reminiscent of the cult) and completely miss the point of someone's post or opinion. That would be my wish - real freedom to safely give an opinion and tell our stories.

As I said, we need to be kind to each other. We are survivours and we are all different.

ps Schwimmy - there is always something somewhere to laugh about! Don't lose that... :D

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I owe you an email (or two) FTS, but, you'll get em :)

In the meantime, I'm not taking your recusal as final

Zinj

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
I echo what FTS is saying about dropping the scientology jargon. It works if you consciously make yourself find alternatives. It is forced and artificial at first, but the more you do it the easier it is to express concepts in non-scn jargon. Then as you do this, the process of thinking like a scientologist drops away and you are free! :happydance:

Try it, you have nothing to lose except Ron's indoctrination and you can always adopt it again afterwards if you want to! :hysterical:

Also her point about looking at alternatives and concepts outside of Scn is a very valuable one.

Life is wonderful and far more magnificent than Hubbard ever dare let us imagine!

Thanks shining one for your expression of freedom! :happydance: