Scientology is shrinking in Switzerland

Motti

Patron
http://www.thelocal.ch/442/20110704/

10f16bc7-cb6d-b8a3-11b4-01396e0e7c20.jpg

Scientology losing Swiss support: experts

Published: 04 Jul 2011 11:34 GMT+1
Updated: 04 Jul 2011 11:07 GMT+1

The Church of Scientology is rapidly losing support in Switzerland, and the number of members is declining, religious experts say.

According to a report in the SonntagsZeitung newspaper, theologist Georg Otto Schmid, an expert on sects, said that support for Scientology is “shrinking.”
“I would imagine that the sect will no longer exist in Switzerland in a few years,” he was quoted as saying by the paper. According to Schmid, the organisation currently has 1,000 active members, a steady decline compared to the 3,000 registered in 1990.
Other religious experts share Schmid’s view, the paper said, adding that activists who try to recruit new members on the streets appear to be poorly trained.
Also, according to Swiss sect expert Dieter Sträuli from Infosekta, Scientology is running out of money, the paper said.
However, Church of Scientology spokeswoman Annette Klug rejected the experts' analysis, which she dubbed “completely absurd”.
Spokespeople from the Church of Scientology argue that the group founded by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard still has 5,000 “passive and active members in Switzerland.”

Marta Falconi ([email protected])

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Passive members, interesting term.

I suppose I am a passive member, most people here are passive about their membership.

A newbie that gets a free 6month membership, but does not go past the first week is a passive member too.

That's a lot of people doing sod all in scientology.

Lesolee (Sith Lord)

Patron Meritorious
Even 1000 seems like a lot for a country with a population of 8 million. The UK has a population of 62 million and a can't imagine there being 1000x62/8 = 8000 members. Saint Hill has to be the biggest org in the country and I would guesstimate the total staff and public onlines wouldn't be more than several hundred.

Motti

Patron
Even 1000 seems like a lot for a country with a population of 8 million. The UK has a population of 62 million and a can't imagine there being 1000x62/8 = 8000 members. Saint Hill has to be the biggest org in the country and I would guesstimate the total staff and public onlines wouldn't be more than several hundred.

When they say "8 Million Scientologists", do they count the BT's too?

When they say "8 Million Scientologists", do they count the BT's too?

Considering the number of BTs that exist is equal to the number of Clears and OTs that Scientology has created ... I don't think adding zero to the total count of Scientologists will help with the stats too much ... but since we're talking about Scientology ... zero and 8 million are roughly the same number

Terril park

Sponsor

A recent person leaving thought around 300.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
5000 happens to be the number of books sold over the past 25 years in Switzerland?:biggrin:
So clearly they have that many members.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
5000 happens to be the number of books sold over the past 25 years in Switzerland?:biggrin:
So clearly they have that many members.

Please forgive me my ignorance, but how many Basic Books are in one set, and how many versions have come out in the past 25 years?

Sorry, jus' tryin' to do the math 'ere.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Please forgive me my ignorance, but how many Basic Books are in one set, and how many versions have come out in the past 25 years?

Sorry, jus' tryin' to do the math 'ere.

Most likely that's 5,000 books total - not basics sets. They (basics set) are just recently part of the fiasco.

One stat of the org(s) is NBSRAW or NBSR and that stands for New Books Sold to Raw Public. Each book (Dianetics, Science of Survivial, Have You Lived Before, 8-80, etc.) is a stat. That is to say if you sell 1 book then NBSR is 1.

Therefore, I bet this isn't anywhere near 5,000 basic sets but is 5,000 total books.

The basics include everything I've mentioned.

There are the blue vols, which are Scientology (I think) and there's the red vols, which are Dianetics.

Original Thesis
Dianetics
Child Dianetics
Handbook for Preclears
Science of Survival
Self Analysis
8-80
8-8008
Fundatmentals of Thought
Introduction to Scn Ethics
How to Live Though an Executive
Have You Lived Before
History of Man
New Slant on Life

That's about all I can think of at present but these are all the basics and there's more.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Most likely that's 5,000 books total - not basics sets. They (basics set) are just recently part of the fiasco.

One stat of the org(s) is NBSRAW or NBSR and that stands for New Books Sold to Raw Public. Each book (Dianetics, Science of Survivial, Have You Lived Before, 8-80, etc.) is a stat. That is to say if you sell 1 book then NBSR is 1.

Therefore, I bet this isn't anywhere near 5,000 basic sets but is 5,000 total books.

The basics include everything I've mentioned.

There are the blue vols, which are Scientology (I think) and there's the red vols, which are Dianetics.

Original Thesis
Dianetics
Child Dianetics
Handbook for Preclears
Science of Survival
Self Analysis
8-80
8-8008
Fundatmentals of Thought
Have You Lived Before
History of Man
New Slant on Life

That's about all I can think of at present but these are all the basics and there's more.

Thanks, Guano. So let's say one Basic set consists of 15 books and has been revised at least twice in 25 years. So that's be 5000/15/3=ca. 111 Scientologists in Switzerland in the past 25 years. OK, let's give or take a few, but that's just.... :hysterical:

Sindy

Crusader
Thanks, Guano. So let's say one Basic set consists of 15 books and has been revised at least twice in 25 years. So that's be 5000/15/3=ca. 111 Scientologists in Switzerland in the past 25 years. OK, let's give or take a few, but that's just.... :hysterical:

There is an LRH reference that states that it takes 25 books sold to make 1 Scientologist. Now, with the horrible Basics stat push, it takes 18 books sold (the number in a set) to push 1 Scientologist out the door. Let them continue with their horrible crush regging on these books, it is rapidly aiding their demise.

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Original Thesis
Dianetics
Child Dianetics
Handbook for Preclears
Science of Survival
Self Analysis
8-80
8-8008
Fundamentals of Thought
Have You Lived Before this life
History of Man
New Slant on Life

Dont think Child Dianetics, Have you lived, How to live though executing were released as someone else complied/wrote them.

These were listed on a site.
18 Books:
1The Original Thesis
2The Evolution of Science
3Dianetics
4Science of Survival
5Self Analysis
6Dianetics 55!
7The Creation of Human Ability
8The Fundamentals of Thought
9Handbook for Preclears
10Advanced Procedure and Axioms
11A New Slant on Life
12Scientology 0-8 The Book of Basics
13Scientology 8-80
14Scientology 8-8008
15A History of Man
16The Problems of Work
17Introduction to Scientology Ethics
18The Way to Happiness

guanoloco

As-Wased
Dont think Child Dianetics, Have you lived, How to live though executing were released as someone else complied/wrote them.

These were listed on a site.
18 Books:
1The Original Thesis
2The Evolution of Science
3Dianetics
4Science of Survival
5Self Analysis
6Dianetics 55!
7The Creation of Human Ability
8The Fundamentals of Thought
9Handbook for Preclears
10Advanced Procedure and Axioms
11A New Slant on Life
12Scientology 0-8 The Book of Basics
13Scientology 8-80
14Scientology 8-8008
15A History of Man
16The Problems of Work
17Introduction to Scientology Ethics
18The Way to Happiness

WOW! Didn't know that! I've got about 2 or 3 free sets boxed up in the basement and I've never even bothered to open them up and look.

What a bunch of garbage. Don't ask me how they got shipped to me, either, as I don't know.