What's new

Scientology spent $42 million for Global Media Center, now needs money to use it

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology spent $42 million for Global Media Center, now needs money to use it.

Mike Rinder: There’s A Sucker Born Every Minute (most seem to end up as Scientology marks)
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/ther...ute-most-seem-to-end-up-as-scientology-marks/

pduparadisos.jpg

Excerpt:
Now, he also announced this purchase and crowed about how it was going to “make planetary clearing a reality”. Funny, they bought the place in APRIL 2011. They paid a reported $42 MILLION DOLLARS according to Reuters, a story in which Karin Pouw may have made her last public statement, proclaiming: “The church plans to establish a central media hub for our growing world network of churches and to move into the production of religious television and radio broadcasting.”

Miscavige spent more than $40 million to buy a property to “make planetary clearing a reality,” and now 3 years later they are “doing the fundraise” so it can be put into action? It’s now just a “dream”, to be made a reality with your hard earned cash.
Mike explains the strategy regarding the IRS:
The reality is that a property like this (or the ideal org buildings they buy) is purchased for tax purposes. A 501(c)3 exempt organization cannot accumulate too much unspent reserves. The money they take in must be used “for the public benefit.” But it’s no good throwing money down the drain building schools in Asia or providing food to disaster victims or mosquito nets to African villages. The IRS considers it to be a charitable purpose to buy property to “minister to your flock” or “disseminate the faith”. So, buying buildings keeps some semblance of conforming to the Internal Revenue Code without reducing the assets of the church (there is no drop in total assets, just a shift from cash to property). But the genius of it is that it can also be used to raise MORE MONEY.
If I understand Mike correctly, the key is that a church can satisfy the IRS by spending money on an asset, such as a church building to "minister to the flock" or a facility to "disseminate the faith." That is, spend money on an asset which the church retains, meaning that nothing is given away and there is no economic loss. It is an IRS accepted way of being "charitable" without, you know, actually giving anyone any charity.

In short, the Church of Scientology can satisfy the IRS requirements concerning not accumulating too much unspent reserves by... buying real estate.

The Church of Scientology can satisfy the IRS requirements concerning not accumulating too much unspent reserves by... accumulating unspent reserves in the form of real estate.

Last edited:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Mike Rinder: There’s A Sucker Born Every Minute (most seem to end up as Scientology marks).
Hang on, that's me you're talking about! Because I joined an organisation that's (stated) aim was to create a better world, that makes me a sucker and a mark does it?

I'm here to support those who have managed to 'escape', or are thinking of 'escaping', and to do my best to prevent others from ever being in the position of having to escape from Scientology.

We're trying to get them out. Calling them 'marks' and 'suckers' isn't going to help.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hang on, that's me you're talking about! Because I joined an organisation that's (stated) aim was to create a better world, that makes me a sucker and a mark does it?

I'm here to support those who have managed to 'escape', or are thinking of 'escaping', and to do my best to prevent others from ever being in the position of having to escape from Scientology.

We're trying to get them out. Calling them 'marks' and 'suckers' isn't going to help.
We were all "suckers" and "marks". That is the truth. That factually is one of the realizations that every Scientologist has to go through to reach the truth about themselves and Scientology.

Yes, the truth can be painful but avoiding the truth to avoid "upsetting" someone isn't going to help them.

Of course, saying "YOU are a sucker!" isn't the best way to put it. We all were suckers. It isn't an insult, it's just a statement of fact.

strativarius

We were all "suckers" and "marks". That is the truth. That factually is one of the realizations that every Scientologist has to go through to reach the truth about themselves and Scientology.

Yes, the truth can be painful but avoiding the truth to avoid "upsetting" someone isn't going to help them.

Of course, saying "YOU are a sucker!" isn't the best way to put it. We all were suckers. It isn't an insult, it's just a statement of fact.
If somebody tells you he knows where you can eat and drink all you like for free, and where you will be served by a bevy of beautiful 'hostesses', and all you need to do is give him ten bucks and he'll tell you where to go, and you part with ten bucks, you deserve everything that's coming to you.

That's a 'sucker' and a 'mark'.

To call Scientologists suckers and marks does nothing but insult and antagonise them.

Having said that, if they come onto this board and try to sell me Scientology they will get short shrift from me.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
If somebody tells you he knows where you can eat and drink all you like for free, and where you will be served by a bevy of beautiful 'hostesses', and all you need to do is give him ten bucks and he'll tell you where to go, and you part with ten bucks, you deserve everything that's coming to you.

To call Scientologists suckers and marks does nothing but insult and antagonise them.

Having said that, if they come onto this board and try to sell me Scientology they will get short shrift from me.

Your example is kind of problematic in that it fairly well illustrates why Scientologists are suckers and marks. In that analogy someone believes they can gain all those benefits for "free" simply by giving someone "ten bucks".

In Scientology, it's even dumber. People believe they can attain the benefit of "total freedom" simply by giving someone "500,000 bucks".

This, very unfortunately, makes Scientologists amongst the biggest suckers and marks that ever existed "on this planet".

If it makes anyone feel better, there are plenty of synonyms & euphemisms. . .

SYNONYMS

easy mark
see definition of easy mark

chump

Synonyms for easy mark
noun easy victim

butt
noun. object of joking

credulous
adj. gullible, naive

dupe
noun. person who is fooled

fall guy
noun. easy victim

fool

noun. stupid or ridiculous person

gullible
adj. naive, trusting

patsy
noun. fall guy

pushover
noun. something or someone easily influenced

scapegoat
noun. person who takes blame for

stooge
noun. dupe

tool
noun. person who allows himself to be used

victim
noun. someone or something sacrificed, preyed upon

babe in the woods
noun. dupable person

setup
noun. gullible person

gudgeon
noun. dupe

ingenue
noun. innocent

lamb
noun. dupe

lamb
noun. innocent

mooncalf
noun. fool

ninny

noun. fool

schmo

noun. fool

schmuck
noun. fool

softhead
noun. fool

tomfool
noun. fool

I wouldn't worry too much about Scientologists being offended by correctly labeling them. Even Ron says that proper labeling is essential for full understanding in the clay demo tech.

Ron also insists in the Ethics Conditions & Formulas that Scientologists "Find Out Who You Really Are".

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron

So someone tells you where you can find the answers to all your problems and all you need to do is give him 100,000 bucks ... that's OK, that's different. When someone falls for that, they aren't a "sucker" or a "mark". :no:

It was all completely legitimate, no lies, no fraud. Everyone who paid the hundreds of thousands got exactly what was promised. No one was lied to, no one was conned. Yep. :yes:

Oh, yes! No suckers or marks here. Nope. :duh: Just happy little Clears and OTs frolicking through the universe.

So, you haven't yet gotten to the point in Scientology recovery where you realize you were conned.

strativarius

So someone tells you where you can find the answers to all your problems and all you need to do is give him 100,000 bucks ... that's OK, that's different. When someone falls for that, they aren't a "sucker" or a "mark".

It was all completely legitimate, no lies, no fraud. Everyone who paid the hundreds of thousands got exactly what was promised. No one was lied to, no one was conned. Yep.

Oh, yes! No suckers or marks here. Nope. Just happy little Clears and OTs frolicking through the universe.

So, you haven't yet gotten to the point in Scientology recovery where you realize you were conned.
Of course I was conned! Of course it was all lies and is a scam! I'm not disputing that for a moment. I sympathise wholeheartedly with the hundreds of thousands of people who have been brought to financial ruin after being ripped off by a CofS that promised them everything and delivered absolutely nothing but misery.

No, there are no Clears and OT's, I should know, I am one (not).

You seem to have missed my point entirely. All I was trying to say was that calling these people idiots (because that is what he is doing) isn't going to help them to see what's happening to them and is only going to reinforce their belief that we are a bunch of SP's out to destroy them.

I can't put it any plainer than that.

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
I'd like to point out, because it sometimes gets lost in the verbage...

Conned = Confidence Game. A Con man is one that "gives you confidence" which allows you to trust him.....which allows him to cheat you..and steal your money.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Of course I was conned! Of course it was all lies and is a scam! I'm not disputing that for a moment. I sympathise wholeheartedly with the hundreds of thousands of people who have been brought to financial ruin after being ripped off by a CofS that promised them everything and delivered absolutely nothing but misery.

No, there are no Clears and OT's, I should know, I am one (not).

You seem to have missed my point entirely. All I was trying to say was that calling these people idiots (because that is what he is doing) isn't going to help them to see what's happening to them, and is only going to reinforce their belief that we are a bunch of SP's out to destroy them.

I can't put it any plainer than that.
But what I object to is MORE LIES. Yes you were conned. So was I. So was every single Scientologist. And, not to put a fine point to it, yes, getting into Scientology was a stupid thing to do. That's simply the truth.

However, I don't see anyone here calling Scientologists "stupid". Personally, I have never called a Scientologist "stupid" and object vehemently when anyone else does. There is a huge difference between being stupid and doing something stupid. Very, very smart people can do something stupid.

I completely disagree that we should hide the truth from Scientologists that all of us were conned, tricked, lied to and defrauded. That we all were "suckers" and "marks". It is the truth that Hubbard lied. It is the truth that the wonderful, promised gains and abilities were lies. And it is the truth that we were all "suckers" and "marks". It is the truth that each one of us should have seen the con and each one of us didn't - until later.

I don't know of any stupid Scientologists. But every Scientologist I know did this stupid thing. All of us need to admit it.

Leland

Crusader
This Television Broadcast studio "lot" they bought is right on Sunset Blvd, just after it makes that dog leg turn,......and heads south to downtown LA. It is very close to the Complex.

I had a thought when C of $ announced they would be buying it. I thought it would be hard to "police" the people that worked there. I have read the stories about Gold and Int Base and the fences with their spikes.....and the few stories of those that escaped....(but still being in the middle of nowhere....out in the desert.)

This will not be the case with this TV Studio. It is in LA. Perhaps it will be easier to escape from....Perhaps not, there is a wall around the property. But if one escapes....at least it would be to a populated area....with transportation....and a way to get away from physical location of scien.

Several Christian groups have been broadcasting for decades. They raise a lot of money that way.

It concerns me the Scamology will try to copy this "successful action."

It concerns me the type of propaganda they might come up with....to broadcast. (they will lie and say pretty much anything these days...look at what they did regarding Robin Williams...just one day after he died.)

On the other hand....as Scamology makes an even bigger "physical building footprint" in LA......they might become even more isolated. Even more of a joke.

Since LA is the location of "Hollywood" and "movies" and "actors" I have no doubt that Scamology will try to copy and use what they can to promote themselves.....But these days with the internet.....I would think that any Hollywood Actor....would think twice about doing any "jobs" for scamology.....as it would affect his/her Hollywood career.....it would be reported in the main stream media...

end of rant....just some thoughts I've had.

strativarius

But what I object to is MORE LIES. Yes you were conned. So was I. So was every single Scientologist. And, not to put a fine point to it, yes, getting into Scientology was a stupid thing to do. That's simply the truth. However, I don't see anyone here calling Scientologists "stupid". Personally, I have never called a Scientologist "stupid" and object vehemently when anyone else does. There is a huge difference between being stupid and doing something stupid. Very, very smart people can do something stupid.
Mike Rinder: There’s A Sucker Born Every Minute (most seem to end up as Scientology marks) (From the OP)

I completely disagree that we should hide the truth from Scientologists that all of us were conned, tricked, lied to and defrauded That we all were "suckers" and "marks". It is the truth that Hubbard lied. It is the truth that the wonderful, promised gains and abilities were lies. And it is the truth that we were all "suckers" and "marks". It is the truth that each one of us should have seen the con and each one of us didn't - until later.
Are we both reading the same material pal? Who the fuck said anything about hiding anything from anybody? You just seem incapable of understanding a simple statement. You don't gain the trust of somebody by calling them a sucker and a mark. I may have been one, you may have been one, I'm not disputing that. We know better now. They don't.

Leland

Crusader
Mike Rinder: There’s A Sucker Born Every Minute (most seem to end up as Scientology marks) (From the OP)

Are we both reading the same material pal? Who the fuck said anything about hiding anything from anybody? You just seem incapable of understanding a simple statement. You don't gain the trust of somebody by calling them a sucker and a mark. I may have been one, you may have been one, I'm not disputing that. We know better now. They don't.

I do get what you are saying Strat........but perhaps if they "word cleared" con game? It might help.

smartone

My Own Boss
Scientology spent $42 million for Global Media Center, now needs money to use it.

Mike Rinder: There’s A Sucker Born Every Minute (most seem to end up as Scientology marks)
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/ther...ute-most-seem-to-end-up-as-scientology-marks/

pduparadisos.jpg

Excerpt: Mike explains the strategy regarding the IRS: If I understand Mike correctly, the key is that a church can satisfy the IRS by spending money on an asset, such as a church building to "minister to the flock" or a facility to "disseminate the faith." That is, spend money on an asset which the church retains, meaning that nothing is given away and there is no economic loss. It is an IRS accepted way of being "charitable" without, you know, actually giving anyone any charity.

In short, the Church of Scientology can satisfy the IRS requirements concerning not accumulating too much unspent reserves by... buying real estate.

The Church of Scientology can satisfy the IRS requirements concerning not accumulating too much unspent reserves by... accumulating unspent reserves in the form of real estate.

I realised what he was up to ages ago re these empty Idle Orgs etc. Also, there's another advantage apart from pleasing their status with the IRS, property does tend to increase in value.

Leland

Crusader
What I don't get......if the local orgs are fund raising to buy the Idle Morgues....Then how is C of $ spending money?

I assume they are "partially funding" perhaps.....

Or funding in "important" places perhaps....like FCDC.

Leland

Crusader
Well, that's a relief. I was beginning to think I was losing my marbles.

If only it was that easy.

I know, I was in for 27 years. I allowed no room in my thoughts for any doubt.....at least any that anyone else could see. ( I always kept my own council and thinking.)

One is so closed off by scamology.....one makes their own trap...very hard to get out of.

strativarius

I know, I was in for 27 years. I allowed no room in my thoughts for any doubt.....at least any that anyone else could see.

One is so closed off by scamology.....one makes their own trap...very hard to get out of.
I've learned from this board that many scn. proceedures including TR's, op. pro. by. dup. etc covertly hypnotize the subject. Some people are more susceptible to hypnosis than others I believe. In my case, once I had blown the Org I was working in and returned to my bad old drug-abusing ways, the spell began to wear off quite quickly.

Fortunately, I wasn't defrauded of many hundreds of thousands of $$$ or £££'s like many were. For them the damage was much greater than the damage I sustained due to my involvement.

After a while I got myself a 'proper' job and spent the next 25 years doing something I enjoyed immensely, and the bad old scn days of toiling on the RPF or trying to live on next to no pay as a staff member seemed long ago and far away. To say I haven't yet come to terms with being taken for a ride is laughable.

Leland

Crusader
I've learned from this board that many scn. proceedures including TR's, op. pro. by. dup. etc covertly hypnotize the subject. Some people are more susceptible to hypnosis than others I believe. In my case, once I had blown the Org I was working in and returned to my bad old drug-abusing ways, the spell began to wear off quite quickly.

Fortunately, I wasn't defrauded of many hundreds of thousands of $$$ or £££'s like many were. For them the damage was much greater than the damage I sustained due to my involvement.

After a while I got myself a job and spent the next 25 years doing something I enjoyed immensely, and the bad old scn days of toiling on the RPF or trying to live on next to no pay as a staff member seemed long ago and far away. To say I haven't yet come to terms with being taken for a ride is laughable.

Yea, sounds good. :)

I too am flabbergasted at the stories here of spending 100's of thousands of dollars on upper bridge services.....just mind boggling! :omg:

But I spent a couple 10s of thousands.....Not good.

Last edited:

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
Your example is kind of problematic in that it fairly well illustrates why Scientologists are suckers and marks. In that analogy someone believes they can gain all those benefits for "free" simply by giving someone "ten bucks".

In Scientology, it's even dumber. People believe they can attain the benefit of "total freedom" simply by giving someone "500,000 bucks".

This, very unfortunately, makes Scientologists amongst the biggest suckers and marks that ever existed "on this planet".

If it makes anyone feel better, there are plenty of synonyms & euphemisms. . .

SYNONYMS

easy mark
see definition of easy mark

chump

Synonyms for easy mark
noun easy victim

butt
noun. object of joking

credulous
adj. gullible, naive

dupe
noun. person who is fooled

fall guy
noun. easy victim

fool

noun. stupid or ridiculous person

gullible
adj. naive, trusting

patsy
noun. fall guy

pushover
noun. something or someone easily influenced

scapegoat
noun. person who takes blame for

stooge
noun. dupe

tool
noun. person who allows himself to be used

victim
noun. someone or something sacrificed, preyed upon

babe in the woods
noun. dupable person

setup
noun. gullible person

gudgeon
noun. dupe

ingenue
noun. innocent

lamb
noun. dupe

lamb
noun. innocent

mooncalf
noun. fool

ninny

noun. fool

schmo

noun. fool

schmuck
noun. fool

softhead
noun. fool

tomfool
noun. fool

I wouldn't worry too much about Scientologists being offended by correctly labeling them. Even Ron says that proper labeling is essential for full understanding in the clay demo tech.

Ron also insists in the Ethics Conditions & Formulas that Scientologists "Find Out Who You Really Are".

Thanks a lot you bleeping bleep.....I just spent the entire day Word Clearing! And I had to flunk myself since no one I know anymore knows what bleeping word clearing is!!!! Bleeping bleeping bleep!!!!