What's new

Street Sessions

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Sorry Paul, you've demonstrated no such thing. You are just "auditing on a via" like LRH did with "Self-Analysis". You've just added a few more "vias" and taken it to a "new level" of technology. :D

Mark A. Baker

I disagree. If you audit Self Analysis, it feels like solo auditing. It doesn't feel like dual auditing. If you audit with Paul's Robot Auditor, it feels like dual auditing.

In *theory* maybe it ought not to be like this, but theory comes second to practical experience. Try it. You might have a different experience, but that is what I have experienced so far and heard from others. Personally I was very surprised by the effect.

Paul

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
Phase 1 of my plan for global domination, otherwise known as Save the World Through Rub & Yawn, was a dismal failure, so I'm now onto Phase 2: Street Sessions.

I bought a portable PA Unit from Maplin for £79.99, the cheapest I could find it. It weighs about 4.5 kg, seems robust, runs for 3 hours from the internal rechargeable battery, and allows the use of a wireless microphone, three of which came with the unit (a normal hand-held; a lapel one; and a Britney-Spears-type headset as the promo calls it). Apart from the name, it is identical to the Carlsbro Speakezee, which is well documented online. I am hanging it over a photographic tripod, with the legs extended an extra meter using that wonderful 32mm PVC pipe, the same stuff I'm using for my sign-holder pole. This puts the unit about 4 feet off the ground. I don't want to risk hanging it higher, on the extensible vertical shaft, as it is a relatively cheap tripod and the PA unit is pretty heavy. In addition to the voice input, there is a built-in cassette recorder/player, or one can jack in an mp3 player etc. and have a music accompaniment to the vocal, for example. Or just play a recorded session script instead of doing it live, although that would lower the impact and session control.

No photos of the set-up today, as it was raining whenever I had it ready.

So the idea is I set up the tripod/PA unit on the street, hold my usual A2 sign as normal above my head so it is visible above the heads of a crowd, hold my session script in the other hand, and deliver the session via headset wireless mic to the enthralled crowd of locals. I will be doing this in Northumberland Street, with normal foot traffic at the part I expect to use being about 50 people a minute. Hopefully, many of these will stop for a while and some will gawk and some will have a session of some kind. The sound will attract attention, as will the twirling sign. There is space at my intended location for a couple of hundred people to stand without blocking the traffic flow up and down the street.

I will be using approximately the same Rub & Yawn session script as I used for the fifty thirty-minute sessions I did on Skypecast last September. The patter repeats every four minutes, and allows new people to continually join in the session while existing pcs can continue on with their session without being interrupted by the new guys arriving.

I walked around town for a couple of hours today with the signs below, promoting the session tomorrow. The main reason for doing this was so I can't Q & A with it tomorrow and not do the session. :)

yg17_small.gif
yg23_small.gif

Paul

Hi, Paul,

That certainly is a lot better than those slice and dice demonstrations I see in the malls. I think the world should be saved with such flippancy and insouciance. Go for it!

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hi, Mark,

(I'm feeling perverse today...hopefully those who cannot ever seem to handle that will go read a magazine or something...:D :D )

ummm...isn't all auditing on a via?

Words! Bodies!!

Re Self Analysis- well, I tend to agree with Paul on that.

In the end, I think that

charge off the case is charge off the case.

No harm no foul.

Hi, Mark,

(I'm feeling perverse today...hopefully those who cannot ever seem to handle that will go read a magazine or something...:D :D )

ummm...isn't all auditing on a via?

Well I can't speak to "all" but anything involving a "body" certainly seems to qualify. :)

"Communication on a via" is the way that things are done in the physical universe. Auditing is a communication process. Ergo, it is pretty clear that auditing is going to be done "on a via". That is not in itself a "BAD" thing, although it does necessitate more "links" in a chain to accomplish a cycle.

Re Self Analysis- well, I tend to agree with Paul on that.

In the end, I think that

charge off the case is charge off the case.

No harm no foul.

Don't get me wrong, I am not implying that what Paul is doing is somehow "bad" or "wrong". [At least with regard to his auditing, his ... ahem ... "personal life" is his business and I claim no knowledge thereof and especially about the .... :coolwink:]

As you said, "charge off of case is charge off of case".

As to the "robot", I haven't tried his "robot auditing" for myself yet, so my comments are limited by that "fault".

I don't consider that "robot auditing" could be superior to having a GOOD human auditor. There is a "lively" interaction with a good auditor which produces "arc" and brings an individual "uptone". The same effect is simply not possible with a mechanism, no matter how "geeky" a pc may be.

I readily concede that it would be likely to surpass having a genuinely BAD human auditor for just about any process. Nothing kills a pc like a truly BAD auditor.

I suspect that for some things Paul's "robot" just might be very useful and have said so in prior discussions elsewhere with Paul on the topic.

Whatever "robot auditing" MIGHT be good for, it is still dependent on Paul setting up the session to occur (i.e. "programming the robot") and some "pc" actually being "in session" ("interested in own case and willing to talk to the auditor") during the auditing.

Whether this represents "solo auditing" or "self auditing" with the auditor being the "pc", or whether the "auditor" is Paul via the mechanism of his "programmed robot" makes for an interesting topic of discussion, but little else. There is a "human agent" somewhere in the chain. As far as the utility of his "robot" goes ... "charge off of case" is indeed "charge off of case".

The ease and costs associated with the "robot" recommend it's use, but because of its inherent limits, I don't see it as a genuine substitute for personal auditing.

Mark A. Baker

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Mark, you are right, and with the way technology and graphics are developing on the internet I would not be surprised someday if the robot auditor were virtual and holographic. And with its own 1-900 number, lol.

Maybe Paul should make inflatable auditors -- I'm not going to touch that one. :)

Anyway, it looks like Paul is having loads of fun while saving the planet, monty python style. If we were having a "save the planet" contest I am sure he would get the blue ribbon in his category.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well I can't speak to "all" but anything involving a "body" certainly seems to qualify. :)

"Communication on a via" is the way that things are done in the physical universe. Auditing is a communication process. Ergo, it is pretty clear that auditing is going to be done "on a via". That is not in itself a "BAD" thing, although it does necessitate more "links" in a chain to accomplish a cycle.

Don't get me wrong, I am not implying that what Paul is doing is somehow "bad" or "wrong". [At least with regard to his auditing, his ... ahem ... "personal life" is his business and I claim no knowledge thereof and especially about the .... :coolwink:]

As you said, "charge off of case is charge off of case".

As to the "robot", I haven't tried his "robot auditing" for myself yet, so my comments are limited by that "fault".

I don't consider that "robot auditing" could be superior to having a GOOD human auditor. There is a "lively" interaction with a good auditor which produces "arc" and brings an individual "uptone". The same effect is simply not possible with a mechanism, no matter how "geeky" a pc may be.

I readily concede that it would be likely to surpass having a genuinely BAD human auditor for just about any process. Nothing kills a pc like a truly BAD auditor.

I suspect that for some things Paul's "robot" just might be very useful and have said so in prior discussions elsewhere with Paul on the topic.

Whatever "robot auditing" MIGHT be good for, it is still dependent on Paul setting up the session to occur (i.e. "programming the robot") and some "pc" actually being "in session" ("interested in own case and willing to talk to the auditor") during the auditing.

Whether this represents "solo auditing" or "self auditing" with the auditor being the "pc", or whether the "auditor" is Paul via the mechanism of his "programmed robot" makes for an interesting topic of discussion, but little else. There is a "human agent" somewhere in the chain. As far as the utility of his "robot" goes ... "charge off of case" is indeed "charge off of case".

The ease and costs associated with the "robot" recommend it's use, but because of its inherent limits, I don't see it as a genuine substitute for personal auditing.

Mark A. Baker
I see it as good for case opening. Perhaps hand out some cards to anyone who was interested in personal address. Certainly group processing is helpful in terms of morale and productivity (at least I found it to be so). At Boston Org, during our most successful periods while I was on staff, we did group processing every morning (quite often lead by IFA's own Mark List), and it really seemed to help a lot in terms of building esprit de corps. People came up to present time, and seemed to get in comm with each other. There were whole segments of the staff that normally didn't talk to each other, because they weren't in the same department, or whatever. At these times we'd all talk to each other afterwards, and people would be psyched. I think group processing has good utility, I'm just skeptical about it's impact on a group that didn't come interested and willing.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

I see it as good for case opening. Perhaps hand out some cards to anyone who was interested in personal address. Certainly group processing is helpful in terms of morale and productivity (at least I found it to be so). At Boston Org, during our most successful periods while I was on staff, we did group processing every morning (quite often lead by IFA's own Mark List), and it really seemed to help a lot in terms of building esprit de corps. People came up to present time, and seemed to get in comm with each other. There were whole segments of the staff that normally didn't talk to each other, because they weren't in the same department, or whatever. At these times we'd all talk to each other afterwards, and people would be psyched. I think group processing has good utility, I'm just skeptical about it's impact on a group that didn't come interested and willing.

Sometimes I loved group processing and had big cognitions from it. Other times, like when I worked for a certain scientology company, I loathed and dreaded the morning group processing ritual.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

I agree with that.

"Private" Robot Auditing, done by a person at home, say, can include itsa, in the form of the person talking aloud to the computer screen or the cat, or writing things down. With Paul's Robot Auditor, as distinct from a YouTube video session, the commands are spaced at the pc's chosen pace. The fixed-pace sessions, like the YouTube video or especially a group session with other people present, don't allow this. The creative processing angle, along with the energy interchange aspect, works very well without itsa--it works even better with it, and with two-way comm with a good auditor, but is fine without.

Plus a lot depends on the process being used. I don't use my Rub & Yawn procedure simply to avoid copyright problems. With a minimum of instruction needed, it immediately addresses the item a person has most attention on, and if done properly it gets a good result very fast (usually 30 minutes max to EP).

An automated system can never compete with a good auditor running effective and applicable processes. I am not trying to have a monopoly! As I said before, I am going for a billion pcs by 20 December 2012. By then, the good auditors running good processes might account for 100,000 (being generous), and I'll do the other 999,900,000. :)

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hi Paul,

Here's how I think you should approach it:

1) use the PA system to get people interested and SELL them on the free session that will happen at x location at X time.

2) That location should be suitable for group processing

3) run the session there. afterward get testimonials and see if you can get
folks to bring others.

Hi Promise,

Yes, that would be the usual way of doing it. For now, I am adopting a show-and-tell approach.

People mostly will not go into session unless
A - They have some idea what is up
B - you have credibility
C - They have connected it to some reason for doing so ...

otherwise it's more like just seeing a street performer.

Yes. I think there will always be the street-performer aspect to it. Apart from the normal stores and loads of pedestrians all day, I share the street with about three large fixed stalls selling stuff; a few individual musicians--buskers--who come and set up anywhere along the street and stay for an hour or so then go; usually a few people handing out leaflets for a disco or restaurant etc.; and a few guys who work for one of the mobile-phone stores who interact with pedestrians.

I think you will have to do more Div 6 type activities than you are planning on.

the overall idea is great

also, i think a problem in this setting is the script.

to get people to participate in this type of thing you need to draw them in.

I was a trainer for a fortune 50 corp for a number of corps, so I have some know how here.

Keep fine tuning it, and you'll get there.

Some combination of more div 6 , and more interaction.

BTW - your you tube and pauls robot are great ... the only problem is presentation.....

the 2 main things you need to work on across the board to reach the level you want are marketing & presentation.

you are doing great for the scio world, but it's a bit different for the "WOG" world. there are some nuances that you need to fine tune.

the content is great, and you are doing some things right with marketing, but not enough.

Promise

Thank you for all your comments. I agree the online presentation needs improving. I was thinking about doing some professional videos for YouTube, but in the end simply whacked a few off to have something online until I got the proper ones done. Similarly the website presentations aren't the greatest, but it is something rather than nothing.

And yes, definitely more Div 6 stuff. I have some not-too-dull things up my sleeve. :)

Paul

Last edited:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hi, Mark,

I think we're mainly in agreement. I remember that Paul wrote some months ago that, in order of how ideal or optimum auditing would be that in session with an auditor would be best, then he listed something else, then his yawnguy thing. Meaning, it's good, he feels it can really work, but he's not saying it's as good as sitting in session with a trained auditor.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
On Saturday I will be out and about in town surveying. I will ask the basic question on the sign I will be carrying, and then follow-up questions as needed to get some useful data.

I don't want to ask the impersonal question "What stresses people the most?". It always used to annoy me when Scn surveyors asked me a question like that, as I always wanted to answer "I DON'T KNOW! For ME it's ...."

yg27_small.gif

Also, I need to buy a device like an mp3 player, along with a cable to go from the player headphone socket to the RCA (phono) plug Line In sockets on my PA Unit. I tried the built-in cassette tape player today and it was too noisy. Currently I intend to get a flash drive mp3 player--probably refurbished--and the cable, from www.ebay.co.uk. I don't want to pay more than £20 plus postage for the player; cable extra. Any brands I should avoid at all costs? I tend to go for brand name items (Sony, Sharp, Samsung etc.) rather than no-name ones. I am more interested in the quality of the playback than in other features.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
On Saturday I will be out and about in town surveying. I will ask the basic question on the sign I will be carrying, and then follow-up questions as needed to get some useful data.

I did the survey on 35 people. It didn't bring up anything particularly noteworthy. Main items were school/work and money.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Mobile-Coffee-Cart Auditing

Mobile-Coffee-Cart Auditing, rather than Coffee-Shop Auditing

This is for use in my usual haunt, a very busy pedestrian precinct in town. I've bought an mp3 player from eBay to feed the sound into the unit and should have it in a few days. This proposed script is for a looped recording about three minutes long, playing over a good-quality PA unit mounted on a tripod a few feet off the ground. The tripod is dressed up a bit. I will be near the PA unit, carrying my usual sign-holder, answering questions and doing surveys.

The basic concept is that someone walking by without stopping will hear enough to be useful. If someone stops to listen to the whole script it will be even more useful. And you never know: someone might actually run a process as they walk by and continue on with it later. :)

All right. Do this at your own risk. Use Procedure A or B, whichever you prefer. Here is Procedure A:

Think of someone or something that is causing you stress, maybe at school or work; a relationship; money; whatever. ... Thank you.
Now look around the street here and find someone or something that is NOT causing you stress. ... Very good.
Keep doing these two things one after the other until you feel better.

Think of someone or something that is causing you stress. ... All right.
Now look around the street here and find someone or something that is NOT causing you stress. ... OK.

Think of someone or something that is causing you stress. ... Fair enough.
Now look around the street here and find someone or something that is NOT causing you stress. ... Good.
Continue with this until you feel better.

This is a simple stress-release procedure. There are more at yawnguy.com, y-a-w-n-g-u-y dot com. If you have any questions you can ask my assistant there with the big sign. There are two aspects to stress--one is the obvious external situation or circumstances. The other is the accumulated mental baggage that a person builds up. A simple stress-release procedure can reduce this baggage. A more-complete procedure can get rid of this baggage forever. You can find such procedures at yawnguy.com, free of charge but not free of effort.

OK. Do this at your own risk. Use Procedure A or B, whichever you prefer. Here is Procedure B:

Think of someone or something that is causing you stress, maybe pressure at school or work; a relationship; money; whatever. ... Thank you.
Now look at the street around you, notice the people, the buildings, hear the sounds, feel the ground beneath your feet; while doing this try not to think of anything at all. Empty your mind. ... Very good.
Keep doing these two things one after the other until you feel better.

Think of someone or something that is causing you stress. ... Fair enough.
Now be aware of your surroundings and try not to think of anything at all. ... Good.

Think of someone or something that is causing you stress. ... All right.
Now be aware of your surroundings and try not to think of anything at all. ... OK.
Continue with this until you feel better.

This is a simple stress-release procedure. There are more at yawnguy.com, y-a-w-n-g-u-y dot com. If you have any questions you can ask my assistant there with the big sign. There are two sides to stress--one side is the obvious external situation or circumstances. The other is the accumulated mental baggage that a person builds up. A simple stress-release procedure like Procedure A or B here can reduce this baggage. A more-complete procedure can remove this baggage forever. You can find these more-complete procedures at yawnguy.com, free of charge but not free of effort.

[Repeat from the top]

Suggestions and comments welcome as usual.

Paul

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I'd be curious what would happen if it played as an endless loop in the elevator of a busy hotel or business office (especially one of the "big" ones).

Mark A. Baker

Eventually, some dillweed will get into a fender-bender or get caught shoplifting and blame Paul for 'mind control' :)

In a hotel? He'll claim that there are subliminals telling him to empty the mini-bar...

Zinj

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I'd be curious what would happen if it played as an endless loop in the elevator of a busy hotel or business office (especially one of the "big" ones).

I think you'll have to remain curious, Mark. I don't see it ever happening. Corporate elevator noise (music) is deliberately blander than bland, as far as I know, to avoid provocation.

Paul

EDIT: I was in a hurry last night. If it works, there are quite a few possibilities for this kind of thing, namely a repeating recording that gives auditing commands to passers-by. I'm not too sure how it would work without a live human on hand to answer questions etc. Having trained operators at the end of a 900-number wouldn't be the same thing. Although.... :)

I'll have some more data after piloting it a bit in town here. I can't do it until I get the mp3 player through the mail, but it should be within two or three days. I'm not sure how one would measure success. It is not like executing two or three commands is likely to lead to a big blowout, more a case of the reach-and-withdraw aspect combined with the objective-locational aspect, if continued by the person when out of earshot of the recording, should lead to a gradual key-out of the specific topic addressed. I can survey people ten yards down the street, but not 20 minutes later. Not easily, anyway.

But if it DOES work, well, that opens up a hell of a lot of possibilities. From an indie auditor wanting to get new pcs and using one recording, right up to some nut intent on global domination and saving the world with millions and millions of such (licensed) auditing stations all over the place. Every five minutes, say, the loop would have something inserted into it like "This stress-release station is provided as a public service by McDonalds, I'm Loving It. Have a nice session." Good PR for the sponsor as long as the site and volume is appropriate. :)

Paul

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
It's raining right now, otherwise I should be out on the street.

I got the "mp3 player", and it works great. I recorded the session script with Procedure A and B etc. last night and loaded it in. It plays back extremely clearly, and as loud as I could want. It works perfectly. I haven't tried it on the street yet, but my main concern about the sound quality is needless.

By the way, this "mp3 player" is *incredible*. I haven't been following the market on these devices, as I haven't felt the need to carry around hundreds of album tracks. But I've changed my mind about their usefulness. I got a Philips SA 3124. New it's about £60, but I got it from eBay as a "graded" unit, basically one which was a customer return and checked over. It has a few minor scuffs on it that it would get after a few weeks' use, but otherwise it looks new and came with all the accessories, and all the packaging etc. apart from the outer one. It cost me £17.01 plus £3.80 postage, an average price for this item. It has 2 GB of memory, and plays mp3 and wma music or sound files; has a 1.8" colour screen that shows jpg photos; shows videos, like you can download YouTube videos, convert them, and store them on the device; has a built-in FM radio with 10 preset stations; even has a voice recorder with instant playback. Excellent quality sound over the supplied ear-bud phones, even better over my Grado headphones or through the PA Unit or my computer speakers. And it's a tiny thing, about 3" by 1.5" by 0.5". £17!

So, as long as I don't lose the thing in my pocket, I can have available to play through the PA Unit, in town delivering sessions or opposite a CofS protesting, whatever session scripts I choose; music like Rick Astley, the Imperial March (Darth Vader's theme), the 1812 overture; various interview excerpts from those online; other music as desired; radio should I choose; PT voice "chicken" "cult"; various other lulz to keep the troops happy.

:)

Paul