What's new

The Scientological Onion

Veda

Sponsor
Excerpted from the Addendum section of L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?, 2nd and 3rd editions. This is the shortened version that appears in Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Scientology:

Scientology could be described as a "layers of the onion" operation.

The outermost layer of the "Scientological Onion" is not identifiable with Scientology at all, being composed of front groups that conceal their connection to -and control by - the Scientology organization. Front groups might be said to constitute Layer Zero: a place where the tentacles of Scientology can grope incognito.

The first layer of the Scientological Onion is meant to be very visible...

Layer One includes Scientology's pampered clique of celebrities, and various public relations ploys. It reverberates with noble sounding sentiments about creating a better world. Scientology seeks to equate itself, and its founder, with anything broadly viewed as desirable or good. A little further along, this layer would include introductory courses with the stated aim of "knowing oneself" and "being free."

Here exist the potentially beneficial aspects of the many masked Scientology operation. The tragedy of Scientology is that the "positives" are used as "window dressing" and "bait on the hook," when they should have been the core and foundation. Thus the Scientology organization reeks of hypocrisy.

Also, at this much publicized layer, L. Ron Hubbard is presented as an engineer, war hero, nuclear physicist, and the "greatest humanitarian of all time," and the author of "22 best sellers with more to come."

The "first layer" is what Scientology wishes the outside world to know as Scientology. And it is essentially what new converts to the "movement" believe.

It includes most of what is good in the subject: The dream of peace on Earth, the desire to help, practical wisdom, civilized communication, and some potentially beneficial counseling procedures. The word freedom is used a great deal at this layer, and a heart felt desire for greater personal freedom, and freedom for all Mankind, is not unusual to new recruits to Scientology.

(Any inconsistencies or contradictions between the publicly stated aims of the movement, and actual practices or facts, become irrelevant as the individual becomes subject to the Dark Side of Scientology. And the deeper one descends into the "onion" the darker it gets.)

Descending into the "onion" it is necessary to become a Scientologist. This means thinking like a Scientologist. This is the Second Layer where deception eases into "soft" forms of mind-manipulation. Love of Mankind is modified that the awareness that human beings are mere hapless "Wogs"... The desire to help becomes the desire to recruit. The ideal of practical wisdom, based on logic and science, is superseded by the belief in the unfathomable mystery of the "tech." Indeed one is expected to be in a state of awe regarding the "tech," much in the same manner that a peasant woman might regard piece of bone, said to have belonged to a Saint from centuries past.

The publicly promoted "policy" of honesty is modified by an awareness that deception is OK, as long as it serves to achieve the desired Scientological end. And the ideals of civility and democracy become a joke - just something that "panty-waists" and wimps fixate on.

One is slowly being "hatted" as a Scientologist.

(At this point an - unlucky - new Scientologist may be subjected to heavy handed "hard sell" tactics by a sales person or "registrar." Life savings have been lost, inheritances gobbled up, and lines of credit drained, all in a single arduous evening of "hard sell." This is really a premature taste of Layer Four.)

The Third Layer down is composed of never ending, expensive, highly advertised, but confidential "upper levels." These go on and on - and on. Scientology has been selling the promise of "Total Freedom" since before most of its current membership were born. It remains the ever elusive "dangling carrot."

Well known individuals who become involved in Scientology - becoming "Scientology celebrities" - do not go deeper into the Scientological Onion than this.

They are also spared the abuses that "less valuable" beings may suffer at the hands of Scientology sales people, "Sea Org" recruiters, or "ethics" officers...

At the upper fringes of the next layer down is local "Org staff," and at the bottom of Layer Four can be found "Sea Org" personnel. This layer employs more pervasive and cruder forms of "persuasion" or "mind control." Here is the "slave labor" supplying Rehabilitation Project Force, the Pavlovian "5 Card System," and the grim but repressed awareness that one is mainly a "post" and a "stat," (i.e. statistic.)

The Fifth layer down includes intimidation of the mass media, use of lawsuits purely for purposes of harassment, and applications of policies and programs, such as those discovered as a result of the FBI search warrants of July 1977. These materials were made available for public view by Federal court order in 1979 and consist of organized applications of the Fair game Law, and related confidential policies and "tech," designed to illegally gain access to private files, infiltrate, harass, lie about, "sue, trick, lie to, or destroy" anyone perceived as an enemy. At this layer also would be secret bank accounts and financial irregularities.

Other aspects of this layer would include "blackmail," including threats to publicize personal information obtained during "religious confessionals" (auditing sessions); and the inducement of duress of various kinds - including frivolous lawsuits - to obtain promises of "silence," and to obtain "signed retractions" of earlier statements.

Here also can be found the handful of individuals who constitute the "Scientology hierarchy": the board of directors of the Religious Technology Center, and its chairman David Miscavige or "DM."

Layer Number Six appears to be the core of the Onion. It is a very temperamental and secret place.

Here lie the secrets of L. Ron Hubbard: his bad health, bad habits, undistinguished military service, flunked physics and mathematics classes. Here can be found the actual motivations behind, and sources of, Dianetics and Scientology. Here can be found Mary Sue Hubbard, languishing in prison for crimes committed under her husband's direction, while her husband, in hiding, passes the time writing Science Fiction. Here are all the things you shouldn't know about the founder of the "Science of Knowing How to Know."

L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?, 2nd edition:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0942637577/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-0654802-4263319

Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Scientology:

http://www.xenu-directory.net/critics/ambry1.html

BUMP! Looove This Article! (The Scientological Onion). :thumbsup:

Perhaps, in the current emotionally charged atmosphere on ESMB, it might have a calming effect if you could elaborate upon why it is that you love the above article - an article that acknowledges both the "positives" and the "negatives." (Providing that you've the time or inclination.)

Even the accompanying links continue the "positive" and "negative" theme.

The first link to 'Messiah or Madman?' features a book that contains a - sometimes overlooked - fair amount of positive material on Scientology; and, granted, the "positives," IMO, are used as "bait" to lure, but are, in themselves, "positives" nonetheless.)

The second link is to the text, 'Brainwashing Manual Parallels', which despite its title, devotes a fair amount of space to the "positives." (See the beginning of the 'Introduction', and the 'Layer 1' chapter, and the (beginning of) the 'Layer 2' chapter, and the end of the 'Layer 6' chapter.)

And the essay 'Sly and Tall Edgy Lurks' starts positively, is positive in the middle, and ends *so* positively, that one might be tempted to seek out a barf bag vending machine...

Yet these are all, IMO, devastating examinations of Scientology.

If Scientology were ALL bad, we probably wouldn't be discussing it.

The "bad," mainly, derives its drive, its life, its power, from the "good," including - and perhaps mainly - the goodness in individuals.

What most threatens the Scientology operation is having Scientology thoroughly and accurately described.

And that's what all the above is attempting to do.

P.S. Also am curious as what the poster 'well_that_sucked' would think of the 'Scientological Onion', etc., assuming that 'well_that_sucked' is still around.

Personally, the reason I would (occasionally, and with an explanation) recognize the "positives," in Scientology, is not to be "nice"; I would recognize the "positves" to be accurate, and to alert the unsuspecting by providing a complete picture of the subject.

Last edited:

Pixie

Crusader
Excellent post Veda as always. However I was always under the impression that you were totally against any and all of scientology, from my own experience, I don't think I've ever read you say anything positive about scientology until now, but that maybe because I've missed any previously. :confused2:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Veda has a whole 'anti-Veda-fanclub whose primary interest seems to be positioning him as 'anti-everything-scientology'; usually in order to avoid dealing with his actual positions.

*I'm* the guy who's 'anti-everything' :)

Zinj

MarkWI

Patron Meritorious
I find Veda always accurate and to the point.
I find you Zinj also accurate and to the point, in an even more surprising way due to the fact that you have never been 'in'.

:thumbsup:

Pixie

Crusader
Veda has a whole 'anti-Veda-fanclub whose primary interest seems to be positioning him as 'anti-everything-scientology'; usually in order to avoid dealing with his actual positions.

*I'm* the guy who's 'anti-everything' :)

Zinj

:dieslaughing: Thanks Zinj! I was kinda confused... :dizzy: :headspin:

Pixie

Crusader
I find Veda always accurate and to the point.
I find you Zinj also accurate and to the point, in an even more surprising way due to the fact that you have never been 'in'.

Yes he is, Veda is the dog's bollocks, however, all I want to know is is he totally fully and utterly against it or not? :confused2:

MarkWI

Patron Meritorious
I imagine Veda to be an old timer auditor (with knowledge both of the tech, and what is behind it), an auditor I would trust.

I also love this article.

When I first read "Bare Faced Messiah" (I have not read "Messiah or Madman"), this is why I liked it:

I was out of scioi. No contact with exes and no talk about scio with anyone. It seemed there were positive experiences from scio and some negative - (No OT levels - no SO and org staff exerience not really too bad.)

I read what little criticism made it into the media but was well aware that the writers had little or no ability to provide context. I found theses written by philosophy majors in the library. They were ok but also lacked real context and looked very limited in providing any real understanding of the issues they were dealing with. I had wondered how I could talk to people about if I ever had the opportunity. If I mentioned positive or negative experiences in scio how the hell could I do it without misrepresenting the truth. How to give an idea of the whole picture.

Bared Faced Messiah seemed to attempt to do that and to succeed. (I don't want any argument on this - it is just how it seemed to me at the time and I haven't looked at that book for years.)
All sorts of people were interviewed -significant to me were
Exes who were still believers of the tech or "philosophy" of scio. Those who didn't believe any of it anymore. Those who loved ron those who didn't, those who thought only the "lower bridge" was ok but not OT levels, those who had suffered abuse those who hadnt' and the various combinations thereof.

So I think as an ex I had a large part of my life that was not integrated with my relationship with people and life in general. I didn't, and couldn't talk about it -not because of trauma, but lack of ability to make it understood satisfactorily to others. "Bared face Messiah" was that satisfactory way to inform the world about scio.

The "layers of the onion" article seems to do a similar thing. (I still have to do a more careful reading of it).

It is comphrehensive - gives a whole picture perspective but without the kind of generalization that leads to failure to communicate the significance of the facts or ideas.
It has details/examples for the ideas put forward. It integrates postive and negative experinces - that is very useful for people who have opposing values on their own ideas about the cult - it can keep people in conflict with themselves as they try to work out what their previuos experiences mean to them and how they can talk about it to others. I better stop the babbling.

addition; Of course apart from integrating personal experience there is that other sticky problem that the article deals with. How do you explain to people that postive experinces are part of a larger scheme to screw you over and fuck your mind.

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
Background info - The last post (post #31) on the 'Reading Messiah or Madman?' thread has a link to the 'L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?' thread. 'The Scientological Onion' was excerpted from the 2nd edition of 'Messiah or Madman?'

http://forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=275&page=4

For anyone who is inclined to characterize those on ESMB as irrational absolutists, who "join the fashionable crowd calling it all"... etc., kindly suggest examining its posts more thoroughly.

http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=65167&postcount=11

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
The Scientological Onion is a great article and really could be the basis for a great book! :yes:

Maybe a number of us could get together and put together a book whose purpose would be to reveal the true nature of ALL layers of the onion.
(or even better, a film documentary)

Challenge

Silver Meritorious Patron
I find your viewpoint very interesting and enjoy reading your posts. :)
If we all agreed on everything there wouldn't be much point hanging out here for me.

BTW, did you know that Hubbard recommended Scns to read The Doors of Perception?

Cheers

tanstaafl

Yes. We did. And other Aldous Huxley books as well.
I don't recall if that was before or after Bill Burroughs came along with the Ayahuasca ( probably misspelled).

Challenge

Veda

Sponsor
The Scientological Onion is a great article and really could be the basis for a great book! :yes:

Maybe a number of us could get together and put together a book whose purpose would be to reveal the true nature of ALL layers of the onion. (or even better, a film documentary)

Here's the table of contents of 'Brainwashing Manual Parallels', which is based on the 'Onion' template. (Note: Does not equate Scientology with "brainwashing," but illustrates the correspondences between the various ideas and methods in 'The Brainwashing Manual' http://warrior.xenu.ca/Brainwashing-front.jpg with Scientology.)

This table of contents could be helpful as a kind of outline. http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=414261&postcount=40

"The Scientological Onion' first appeared in the 'Addendum' section of the 2nd edition of the book, 'Messiah or Madman?':

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=1090

Exscn.net: http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105

'On the union of psychotherapy with spiritual exploration' (What some of us thought Scientology was when we first came in contact with it.): http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=18114

Some background. 'The Sole Source Myth' thread: http://forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=510

mate

Patron Meritorious
You now have only seven days left to get your submission in.

You have done yours? Thank you for doing it

You haven’t done yours? Let me ask you some questions.

Do you feel that family disconnection tears a family apart?

Are you aware that disconnection occurs in some religions?

Do you feel that the proposed amendment could handle this?

Are you in support of the amendment?

Good! Now, put your answers together in a few sentences and Voila! You have your submission. So send it NOW and I mean NOW.

David.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Some great links Veda. There's really tons of info on the web already as concerns scientology and Hubbard. Maybe even more useful than an actual book based on the Scn Onion would be an e-book that organized much of the info already out there on the web, creating a table of contents and/or index and linking to all the relevant articles, posts, ect.
The information IS already out there but due to the volume of it, it is easy to miss some important posts and articles, especially for someone just beginning their research.

Veda

Sponsor
Yes, most of the information in 'Brainwashing Manual Parallels', organized according to the 'Scientological Onion' layered "overt/covert" pattern, is on the web.

'Parallels', of course, besides presenting some information (much more could be added, or linked), also suggests the possibility that Hubbard knew exactly what he was doing, when he built his "Church" upon the ideas and methods in the "Brainwashing Manual" - "The art and science of asserting and maintaining dominion over thoughts and loyalties..."

Arranged according to the 'Onion' template, or something similar, the vast amount of information on the Net would (hopefully) become less confusing, and many of the seeming contradictions in Scientology would be seen, not as conflicting, but as complementing, with one being overt (visible/advertised) and the other being covert (behind the scenes, confidential). For example, the Fair Game Law and 'What is Greatness?' do not conflict, they complement - one is behind-the-scenes (essentially Intel), the other is advertized (PR).

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
For example, the Fair Game Law and 'What is Greatness?' do not conflict, they complement - one is behind-the-scenes (essentially Intel), the other is advertized (PR).

I would love to see a film documentary professionally done that exposes exactly this aspect of scientology. Done correctly it could be a powerful tool for educating people and governments.