What's new

The Take-Down-Hubbard Cold War

Veda

Sponsor
"With all the chatter about L. Ron Hubbard's alleged shortcomings, it got me thinking about what the effect of the unprecedented ad hominem attacks against the man were. Hubbard was demonized by the cold war establishment perhaps more than any other civilian figure. One cumulative effect of it all was to one degree or another de-humanize him in the public eye. We see remnants of those effects to this day. Tony Ortega has even come to the conclusion that my mission -and the mission of many independents - is made hopeless by this historical landscape. The landscape is not easy to conceptualize given its long lived nature and Miscavige's daily efforts to make the myths a reality. Providing context to the entire picture is a long term project that I never lose sight of, but unfortunately I have not found the time to devote to it that it deserves."

Marty Rathbun, from his Blog, September 30, 2011

I assume that the Cold War establishment includes not only the USA Cold War establishment, but also the Cold War establishment of the, then, Soviet Union.

P.S. As far as I can decipher this at this time, this appears to be an attempt to compartmentalize the "besmirching of L. Ron Hubbard's good name" to a period concurrent with the Cold War (1946 -1991 or so). The USA establishment didn't change in the early 1990s, but the Russian establishment did with the fall of the Soviet Union.

How does this make sense? Or is it just another public opinion manipulation ploy?

As for the attempts to "de-humanize" Hubbard in the public mind, an early attempt is described by Hubbard in his confidential issue, "Intelligence Actions, Covert Intelligence Data Collection' of 2 December 1969. It describes events of 1950:

"The objective of the enemy is to discredit...

"Their first blast was the San Francisco papers, Sept. 1950, quoting the publisher (of Book One) Ceppos being critical of me (he was a communist) followed by the LA papers, pushed then by Sara Komkovadamanov (alias Northrup) 'divorce' actions, followed by attempted kidnapping of myself. Other details were pushed into it including murder of four and so on. This was a full complete covert operation. At the back of it was Miles Hollister (psychology student), Sara Komkovadamanov (housekeeper at the place nuclear physicists stayed near Cal Tech), Gene Benton and his wife - president of the Young Communists League...

"This was a full war against Dianetics..."

Note: all the above parentheses are from the original.

And regarding the same time period...

From a 1977 recorded message, 'Can we Ever Be Friends?':

"Possibly any trouble Dianetics or Scientology ever had began on May 9, 1950 when the U.S government, excited by the possibility of Hubbard's work, sought to force him into classified government service.

"In Washington, they told him they wanted him to work on projects to make people more suggestible. When he declined they threatened and, typically, he refused to bow.

"And the war between the government and Scientology was on."

There's another version of this from the 1978 edition of 'What is Scientology?'. It ends with:

"The government never forgave him for this and soon began vicious, covert international attacks on his work. "

The above two accounts, re. the U.S. government, were taken from a recorded lecture from the early 1950s.

Last edited:

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
. . . The purpose of [Scientology] is to free the spirit through achievement of ever-increasing Understanding. Understanding is composed of Affinity, Reality and Communication (ARC). ARC are the component parts of Theta (the spirit, the soul; a term coined by Hubbard so as not to confuse it with 3000 years of misconceptions accumulated in the subject of spirituality). Theta is the highest concept of love. Theta is life force, elan vital, the all-healing good that the opposite of love (hate, lies, evil) disappears in the presence of . . .

Remind me, where's LOVE on the tone scale?

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Im waiting for Marty to set the record straight..

To take a line from 1960 State of man,

Oh, that doesnt say ive told you all. That doesnt say that there werent times when i could have slipped you some hot dope concerning me or the conditions or organizational wiggle waggles in efforts to stay alive.And that doesnt say that i myself am not guilty occasionally of withholding something from you, because i am quite guilty of withholding quite a bit from you.

But what I am withholding from you , basically how rough its been . Ive tried to keep a good public presence going. Thats often been very rough.And that ive withheld.

But as far as any deep seated, cross-purposed, tangled-up pitch, no WE had nothing to hide there

1947 Affirmations, war history, smashing name into history, failed expeditions, occult, hypnotism mastery, attacking those who were Allys..Medical history, Family trouble, tall stories , stealing others works, drug taking.

Im dreaming Marty and Mike will admit full disclosure of Hubbards past for scn is a step in the line of truth and understanding, admit Hubbard had some very dark skeletons in the closet that obscured the whole and that Hubbard had a tangled up pitch.

the Hub the Ally( what Marty sees) versus hub the hidden Antagonist- What i see.

Veda

Sponsor
Remind me, where's LOVE on the tone scale?

This thread is only about the USA&Soviet Union Cold-War-era attempts to besmirch the good name of L. Ron Hubbard. The "love" thingie has been covered elsewhere. :)

Of course, now that the Cold war is over, all Besmirching should stop, shouldn't it?

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Here is the whole post. It seems to me to be a ploy to "soften" Hubbards image by talking about love and equating it with ARC. It does indeed appear he is trying to squish attacks on Hubbard's good name into that time period and therefore "deal with the remnants" and show he was a good bloke after all. Good luck with that.

18 Wheels of Affinity, Reality, and Communication
Posted on September 30, 2011 by martyrathbun09| 100 Comments

With all the chatter about L Ron Hubbard’s alleged shortcomings, it got me to thinking about what the effect of the unprecedented ad hominen attacks against the man were. Hubbard was demonized by the Cold War establishment perhaps more than any other civilian figure. One cummulative effect of it all was to to one degree or another de-humanize him in the public eye. We see remnants of those effects to this day. Tony Ortega has even come to the conclusion that my mission – and that of many other Independents – is made hopeless by this historical landscape. That landscape is not easy to contextualize given its long-lived nature and Miscavige’s daily efforts to make the myths into reality. Providing context to the entire picture is a longer term project that I never lose site of, but unfortunately I have not found the time to devote to it that it deserves.

So, in the interim I play the game of trying to provide morsels of food for thought from time to time that might ever so slightly shift a viewpoint or two.

Today, I address a propaganda line that developed some legs during the take-down-Hubbard Cold War. That is, “Hubbard’s writings rarely mention the word ‘love.’”

For those who have studied and applied much Scientology, certainly for me personally, that one cut to the quick. It was not readily put to rest by counting up the use of the word “love” in Hubbard’s works. Because, fact of the matter is, you won’t find the word “love” aplenty in Hubbard’s books and lectures. Does that fact mean the subject of Scientology has nothing to do with the concept of “love”?

Again to those who understand the subject through study and work with it, the answer is “of course it does, in fact it is the heart and soul of the subject.”

The purpose of the subject is to free the spirit through achievement of ever-increasing Understanding. Understanding is composed of Affinity, Reality and Communication (ARC). ARC are the component parts of Theta (the spirit, the soul; a term coined by Hubbard so as not to confuse it with 3000 years of misconceptions accumulated in the subject of spirituality). Theta is the highest concept of love. Theta is life force, elan vital, the all-healing good that the opposite of love (hate, lies, evil) disappears in the presence of.

Nearly every book written (there were dozens) and every lecture spoken (there were thousands) by Hubbard were done in furtherance of forwarding the laws of Affinity, Reality and Communication (increasing them) so as to free Theta.

I once tried to explain to Lawrence Wright (Pulitzer prize winning author of the February New Yorker article) that for every fault he could dig up about Hubbard, I could trace it back to a virtue. Yes, Hubbard could be a harsh task master. Yes, he could roll up his sleaves and fight fire with a firestorm. Yes, his propensity to do so left indelible faults in the organizations he created ( e.g. the Guardian’s Office, and yes even Office of Special Affairs, etc). But, having studied the subject thoroughly and practiced it inside and outside the organization, studied the man thoroughly (warts and all), and even myself having acted viciously over many years in the name of defending Scientology, I came to an understanding while being outside of the beast for three years. That is, notwithstanding the fact that a died in the wool sociopath subsequently used Hubbard’s propensity to fight back hard as a justification for systematically ruining lives, the Old Man cared (many say to a fault) about assuring people’s ability to benefit from his discoveries. His discoveries about the laws of Affinity, Reality and Communication, the component parts of Theta (the highest possible concept of love). That Hubbard’s solutions to antagonism during the height of the Cold War are reprehensibly dramatized by a madman and an anachronistic organization in the age of Communication does not cancel that truth.

I’ll leave you with that thought and a song that I posted several weeks ago. I know it is lengthy and only a few people (Laura, Rachel and Christie, I think) acknowledged having made it all the way through it. But, this song captures for me the spirit of Scientology. When all hope is lost for Chester, something happens. The lyrics don’t explicitly say what it is. But the music and context of the lyrics communicates what happens. Chester is saved by love (theta), and somehow Chester realizes his (theta’s) seniority over the mechanics of matter, energy, space and time…and I’ll be damned.

When push comes to shove, when bullshit’s had its say, when the critics and zealots are done beating the hell out of one another, whether you wind up believing Hubbard was a sinner, a saint, a vengeful dirty fighter, or whatever, I’ll continue to think he would have been right in there pitching with Chester, doing his damnedest to coax him on up to cause over the elements that were trying to take him out of the game.

Gadfly

Crusader
. . The purpose of the subject is to free the spirit through achievement of ever-increasing Understanding. Understanding is composed of Affinity, Reality and Communication (ARC). ARC are the component parts of Theta (the spirit, the soul; a term coined by Hubbard so as not to confuse it with 3000 years of misconceptions accumulated in the subject of spirituality). Theta is the highest concept of love. Theta is life force, elan vital, the all-healing good that the opposite of love (hate, lies, evil) disappears in the presence of . . .

Infinity, where's that quote from?

It is the biggest load of shit I have read in quite awhile. Granted, I haven't read any "pure" Sciencrapology in a long time.

Does Hubbard actually say that "theta is the highest concept of love"? Does Marty say that?

I sure NEVER saw ANY "love" demonstrated by any version of the C of S since 1976 (when I first got involved).

I would like to respond more, but first I would like to know where that quote came from.

Okay, I see, somebody posted it as I was posting this. Edit added below.

Marty is stuck in a la-la land of absurd thinkingness. There is NO "understanding" available from Scientology other than the strange ideas and concepts of Hubbard's. The ONLY "understanding" that Hubbard ever meant and the Church EVER aims for is "agree with what we say or else". It has ALWAYS been that way based on exact LRH policies. Why? Because to Scientology and nutty Scientologists, all "understanding" hinges on "agreement" (aka "reality"). These morons have such an incorrect understanding of "understanding". "Understandings" are like opinions. They are arbitrary and often INCORRECT. There is NO necessary meaning or value in "understanding" when derived from ARC. People can agree with and understand ANYTHING to be true - no matter how nutty.

It is such an ABSURD notion that ARC are the "component parts of Theta". Marty is walking-talking bundle of CONFUSED IDEAS and SIGNIFICANCES and he displays the lunacy of any person who has taken Hubbard and his ideas WAY too seriously. Marty can't even get basic Scientology data straight. Nowhere does Hubbard EVER say that "Theta is the highest concept of love".

It kills me how people like Marty can misunderstand basic Hubbard, and then misrepresent Hubbard & Scientology to be other than he/it was, in some "good way". THAT is why Martry "likes Scientology". Because he misunderstands it and ADDS tremendous amounts of meaning to it that it DOES NOT HAVE.

"Theta" is "the all-healing good"? Jesus Christ on a stick, maybe Marty really is trying to take the reins of the bull from Hubbard directly, because he is laying the shit on as thick as Hubbard ever did - with his own unique additives, and typical over-the-top generalities that appeal to Man's "basic goodness" (solely aimed at tricking them). He speaks in endless ABSTRACTIONS that act to trick and hook the suckers. Just as did Hubbard.

Evil disappears in the face of "theta"? Really? What about all the evil that has been committed BY SCIENTOLOGY by all the OTs and Clears who have all that "extra theta". I have NEVER seen ANY example of "hate" disappearing in the prescence of "theta", at least not by any Scientologist. I have seen many Scientologists laying on the "entheta" thick with hard sell, lying, disconnection, SP declares, PR, deception, manipulation through ARC (as Marty does on his blog), setting innocent people up in crimes they never committed, etc - al based on LRH policies.

Marty is playing the SAME Hubbard game of entrapping people by getting them all wrapped up in crazy significances. It is a "theta-trap" of the highest caliber. Tell people that you are freeing them, and THAT becomes the "theta-trap".

VWD Marty. I just realized WHAT you are doing.

I can't read Marty's blog because I get sick to my stomach rather quickly. Reading the above post of his rekindled the feeling. :puke2:

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
This thread is only about the USA&Soviet Union Cold-War-era attempts to besmirch the good name of L. Ron Hubbard. The "love" thingie has been covered elsewhere. :)

I have a feeling the love thingie will rear it's head anyway. :coolwink:

Readers - go to Advanced Search and type in "love" for thread titles. :)

Veda

Sponsor
Here is the whole post. It seems to me to be a ploy to "soften" Hubbards image by talking about love and equating it with ARC. It does indeed appear he is trying to squish attacks on Hubbard's good name into that time period and therefore "deal with the remnants" and show he was a good bloke after all. Good luck with that.

Yes, but this thread is only concerned the first paragraph. :)

Anyone is welcome to start a thread on the "Love" part.

It may be that there's not much interest in the topic of this thread, and that's fine. It can be a short thread.

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
That Hubbard’s solutions to antagonism during the height of the Cold War are reprehensibly dramatized by a madman and an anachronistic organization in the age of Communication does not cancel that truth.

Marty cant link that Hubbard was himself reprehensibly dramatizing..he calls it hubbards solutions to antag.

Miscavige is only 'dramatizing' what Hubbard commended him for, being a sociopath .

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Yes, but this thread only concerned the first paragraph. :)

Anyone is welcome to start a thread on the "Love" part (already covered in many threads).

It may be that there's not much interest in the topic of this thread, and that's fine. It can be a short thread, but it be on the topic - if I may be so pushy.

Yes I know and you may be annoyed with me for quoting the whole post. However there are other references to the Cold War issue I've bolded, and I added to my post to search out threads on love in an effort to keep it on this topic. :hide:

Reading his post again, as I said, I see a definite attempt to 'position' attacks on Hubbard to that time period. I don't know a lot about that time but I do remember as a young teenager at Saint Hill being told that Hubbard offered Dianetics to the US govt and then because the 'govt' wanted to use it to control people, Hubbard withdrew his offer and that is the reason for all the attacks on him.
Interesting subject.

Infinite

Of course, now that the Cold war is over, all Besmirching should stop, shouldn't it?

Sorry, mate. Thought we were discussing the entire post. So far as the Cold War era and Scientology is concerned, interesting to note L Ron Hubbard, PhD, had no qualms about taking advantage of the prevailing US societal conditions at the time:

hubbard-19550729-1.gif

. . . first of three pages which can be found here: http://www.xenu-directory.net/documents/fbifiles/hubbard-19550729.html

Veda

Sponsor
Yes I know and you may be annoyed with me for quoting the whole post. However there are other references to the Cold War issue I've bolded, and I added to my post to search out threads on love in an effort to keep it on this topic. :hide:

Reading his post again, as I said, I see a definite attempt to 'position' attacks on Hubbard to that time period. I don't know a lot about that time but I do remember as a young teenager at Saint Hill being told that Hubbard offered Dianetics to the US govt and then because the 'govt' wanted to use it to control people, Hubbard withdrew his offer and that is the reason for all the attacks on him.
Interesting subject.

Not annoyed at all. :) And quoting the whole post is a good idea.

I'm just hoping that Marty's attempt to exploit the latest academic fad that Scientology was a "Cold War religion," and use that in his effort to revise history, manipulate public opinion, and further mess with people's minds, is recognized.

Veda

Sponsor
There are quite a few letters from Hubbard to the FBI from the early&mid 1950s. They're bizarre to say the least. Hubbard was attempting to use the FBI - to "play" them.

In this one he's attempting to motivate the FBI to persuade the IRS to lay off him, lest he accept the Russian offer to go to Russia and work for them. What a huge ego. He really thought he could bamboozle anyone.

Ultimately, the label, "Appears mental," was affixed to his thick folder of letters.

Hubbard no doubt was paranoid and saw enemies everywhere, but he seemed to be mindful of the use of propaganda technique, and adjusted it according to the prevailing public opinion.

Around 1971, after surveying public opinion, Hubbard switched from mainly calling his enemies "communists" to mainly calling them "Nazis"; these days, "terrorists," "haters" and "bigots" are amongst those "buttons" judged most effective.

L. Ron Hubbard explained how to use propaganda (to push the "hate" and "love" "buttons") in 'Battle Tactics' of 16 February 1969:

"The only safe public opinion to head for is they love us and are in a frenzy of hate against the enemy, that means standard wartime propaganda is what one is doing... Know the mores of your public opinion, what they hate. That's the enemy. What they love. That's you."

And another piece of Scientology tech, from Hubbard's 'Black Propaganda' of 12 January 1972:

"The objective is to be identified as attackers of popularly considered evils. This declassifies us from former labels. It reclassifies our attackers as evil people."

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
L. Ron Hubbard explained how to use propaganda (to push the "hate" and "love" "buttons") in 'Battle Tactics' of 16 February 1969:

"The only safe public opinion to head for is they love us and are in a frenzy of hate against the enemy, that means standard wartime propaganda is what one is doing... Know the mores of your public opinion, what they hate. That's the enemy. What they love. That's you."

And another piece of Scientology tech, from Hubbard's 'Black Propaganda' of 12 January 1972:

"The objective is to be identified as attackers of popularly considered evils. This declassifies us from former labels. It reclassifies our attackers as evil people."

Hmmm...sounds awfully familiar doesn't it? I think Marty passed that checkout.

Last edited:

Gadfly

Crusader

Lord, I FUCKING DETEST how Scientology is geared completely to trick people into agreeing with them, while at the some time completely ignoring "truth".

Scientology is like 98% PR and propaganda, and the other 2% are the decent workable things that are used as "bait".

Hubbard is constantly teaching OSA and PR types to "manipulate perceptions" and "create associations of meaning" - always regardless of "truth" and "facts".

This whole approach of "surveying the public, finding what they like, and finding what they don't like", and then "associating us with the likeable, and associating our enemies with the unlikeable", is just so contrived, deceitful and manipulative. And, the "truth" is always quite irrelevant, because the dumb Scientologists believe that "we are always right since we have the ONLY solution to Man's many ills".

It is the typical game of creating the illusion of "guilt by association" (or the reverse - goodness by association with things that are "against evil"). Hubbard's techniques involve "psy ops", and he is a "stage magician of ideas".

Infinite

There are quite a few letters from Hubbard to the FBI from the early&mid 1950s. They're bizarre to say the least. Hubbard was attempting to use the FBI - to "play" them.

In this one he's attempting to motivate the FBI to persuade the IRS to lay off him, lest he accept the Russian offer to go to Russia and work for them. What a huge ego. He really thought he could bamboozle anyone . . . <snip> . . .

Undoubtedly. I wonder if he's not also trying to play the FBI so to rebuild his reputation following his "Allied Scientists of the World" scam:

Federal investigators disclosed Saturday that a mysterious organization—with the announced purpose of enrolling scientists and protesting use of the atom bomb—suddenly closed its Denver office this month after a brief cloak-and-dagger existence.

The organization was known as Allied Scientists of the World; also the Alliance.

Its activities first came to the attention of investigating agencies in late November and early December, when protests suddenly started pouring in from scientists, engineers and architects in all parts of the United States. . .
Denver Post, 27 January 1952.

See also:

fbi-allied-scientists-featu.jpg