What's new

The thing I've noticed most about forum regulars...

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
...is that so many of you are well read and imaginative people. I'm sure this is also true in some other cyber forums pertaining to other topics, but this is something I've found to be very noticeable on (Scn) critical forums. I noticed it on a.r.s., too. There are a lot of people who read a great deal, are creative, will get even more obscure literary references or off the wall jokes. A fair number of forum regulars here and on a.r.s are also computer techies, and just smart as can be.

There are times in life where I feel kind of like a square peg. It's not the Scn vs not doing Scn thing at all. I didn't really experience that much more often in CofS than anywhere else. It's a regular every day thing. What I mean to say is, sometimes I'll make a joke or comment that maybe is, oh I don't know, a play on words about something or a reference to some historical event or maybe I want to tell them about some cool book I read or about some message in a movie that I felt was there - soooo... something not really mainstream. And I've often gotten just blank stares or faltering smiles or even "what does that mean?" from coworkers or other acquaintances. God, I sound like a snobbish bitch,but for most of my life, I've been getting from some schoolmates and later, coworkers, the polite bland uncomprehending and uneasy smile and just this bland bland good roads good weather thing. Doesn't always happen- I have plenty of friends who get it. And I've always found some creative and quirky types any place, I went, but they really weren't the MAJORITY in any given place.

And, of course, I can say anything to John and he'll get it, no matter how weird or obscure or dorky it is. And if I'm talking to someone who's not going to appreciate my offbeat and off kilter sense of humor, I just don't bring up anything too weird or off the beaten track and it's all fine.

But the thing is, when I come here and "talk" to other forum regulars or talk to some of the friends I've made on a.r.s.- it's like I don't have to stop and explain all my oddball little jokes or refrain from making them. 9 out of ten times, or so, the person's going to get it and maybe even come back with something even more subtle and fun of their own. I've even met some other exes and other critics, IRL, and it's just awesome and cool how well read and bright and interested in life they all are! So instead of maybe a fourth or a third of the people I talk to actually getting what I mean, in Scn/critical circles it's more like 90%.

And there are people here -and some of my a.r.s. friends- who mention books and types of music and concepts I never even heard of. I think it's amazing and wonderful! Really really refreshing.

I bet if someone did a poll here to see how many of us were booklovers, if most people actually TOOK the poll, it would come out that almost everyone here was a reader. I mean, my god, those are my kind of people.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
I really do believe this is a Scientology thing. Maybe not for everyone but for many.
I was living in a box. That box was all Scientology. Someone would joke with me and it would fly right over me head. Not because I didn't understand it but because it was Joking and degrading or just not funny. Although very little was funny back then.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Claire,

I'll bet that if you and I (and your hubby) ever met and did NOT talk about SCN or LRH we would get along just fine.
You might be surprised.

thetaCannon

Patron
I can relate to this as well.

I was a reader even as a kid and enjoy offbeat humour. But I have to say, study tech and The New Grammar both really improved my ability to comprehend.

Awareness of comprehension (or non-comprehension) was one of LRH's greatest gifts to me. Prior to that I was just "in it", never used a dictionary except to prove somebody wrong, and flew at a lower level of competency.

THANK YOU STUDY TECH

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Interesting, personally I read very widely prior to skyandtollergy. read about two books on staff and SO and read again now.

I did certainly clear up some grammar and words, but I dont think it helped that much. I certainly dont like nomenclature and talk plain language rather than professional jargon, it annoys some but not as much as it annoys me to hear office speak, socialworker speak or art bollocks. But sometimes it's really good to have a degree level verbal battle, exhausting but satisfying.

Do you think that it's the brighter beings that realise it's time to get out leaving the sheep in? Is it that the top guys on this site might actually be small in number but very big in output? I must admit Ive tried a few other chat type bloggy things and yelped at the grunt mentality. There's some posts Ive really enjoyed reading here though.

La La Lou Lou

Good twin

Floater
I know exactly what you mean Fluffy. Prior to Scientology I was a closet nerd. I always hung out with the artsy types and never got good grades in school. My parents were very NOT controlling and raised us to be free spirits. The only control I recall was that my father insisted that I learn a new word every day. He gave me a dictionary and a thesaurus for Christmas when I was quite young. I complained but secretly loved it. You guys are like me. I feel like I fit in.

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
:yes: I never thought of it that way before, but yes! That is definitely part of the reason that I like it so well here. I wonder if that says something about the kind of people who get into Scientology -- or maybe the kind of people who get out? :confused2: But you're right -- I do not encounter people IRL that I can relate to this way.

-TL

tookmeawhile

Patron with Honors
And to pat ourselves on the back here...

I'm not that familiar with other discussion boards, but in general I must say that the grammar, sentence structure, spelling, even the ability to convey one's thoughts is very good here. (As I just wrote a run-on sentence I believe. :coolwink: ) The overall writing ability of scios is really good! I got lots of benefit from clearing tons of words and doing the Grammar Course in scio. Do they even offer it any more?

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Connections...

As for me...well, I simply feel at home here - whether actively posting and participating or just lurking leisurely.

Claire, thank you for the OP here which I felt was right on the mark and expressive of my own feelings and observations.

I am of the opinion that "regular" members who post here share some sort of connectedness that borders on the mystical.

But then I always was a dreamer - and a sometimes EP.

Love,

Mike

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Something that always used to come up frequently when I was a kid and a teenager, was to be scolded by other kids for using "big words". In some cases, the word wasn't all that "big", it just was a bit uncommon. When I got to be an adult, people stopped phrasing it that way, but I'd still get the "what does that mean"s and the blank looks.

I definitely think that people can get the square peg feeling in CofS- especially if they are a bit more skeptical, a bit less inclined to go "hip hip hooray", but in my case, the square peg feeling predated my involvement in CofS. My parents had a lot of books and their interests were varied and they had their own little jokes and so on. I picked a lot of it up from them. I suppose they felt the same way, too.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I just thought of an example of this. It's just a little thing, but will serve.

I started at some company and was making friends (I thought) with the other girl who sat next to me. I was reading a murder mystery. Pretty common genre. I later found out she was telling coworkers about the new girl who was always reading "blood and guts books". That didn't exactly help me ease into the new workplace, but eventually, it was all ironed out.

Another time, a few years ago, a lady I worked with - nice lady, salt of the earth type, but lightyears from being someone I could relate to or who could relate to me. I had a book I was reading (hilarious book) called "Fat White Vampire Blues" and she saw it and gave me the strangest look. Asked what it was about. I replied "It's about a fat white vampire and his blues." The look I got in response was even more askance. Now, see, I just think that if we ESMBers were all physically somewhere together and I was running around with a book like that, nobody would bat an eye or think it was weird.

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
I know exactly what you mean Fluffy. Prior to Scientology I was a closet nerd. I always hung out with the artsy types and never got good grades in school. My parents were very NOT controlling and raised us to be free spirits. The only control I recall was that my father insisted that I learn a new word every day. He gave me a dictionary and a thesaurus for Christmas when I was quite young. I complained but secretly loved it. You guys are like me. I feel like I fit in.

Good twin - your my twin! LOL! My BFF, who's life I secretly envy, lives her life as an artist, a free spirit. She also knows me on a very very deep level and I don't know how! I figure you might know what I mean. BTW - you crak me up ALL the time.

I have to say - when I put in my post "LOL" or "ROFL" - I *really* am!

I definately feel at home here!:)