What's new

Thoughts On The Purif

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
There are basically 3 things you do on the Purif:

(1) Take vitamins; namely niacin, B6, and C (rather useful, actually).

(2) Exercise in the form of running around. Exercise is always a good idea because, among other things, it allows the body to burn up minor toxins, such as alcohol and sugar, as fuel.

(3) Drinking all-blend and sweating in a sauna. Not very useful in my opinion.

Given LRH's penchant for doing "research" in the form of reviewing what other people had done and then claiming credit for it, it comes as no surprise that the vitamin program is exactly the same as Orthomolecular Psychiatry, which was popular in the 1970's.

In Orthomolecular Psychiatry, by taking niacin, B6, and C, the layers of repression that keep bad feelings buried are stripped away. This allows the individual to cease compensating for what was done to hir. This is a good thing. But the pain and disappointment that you accumulated comes at you, making the whole experience rather unpleasant.

I was doing this. When the layers of denial came off, I told my doctor that I was ready for some "talk therapy" to deal with my issues. But she said, oh no, that's not part of the program, "just keep taking the vitamins". Since I was unwilling to remain in misery, I did stop. And that was the big problem with Orthomolecular Psychiatry, that people don't keep taking the vitamins. Hardly anyone remembers this subject now.

Just yesterday, I took 100 mg of niacin. (Note: avoid niacinamide, it doesn't do anything.) I had a violent reaction; bright red itchy skin, feeling hot, then feeling cold. It was a strong reaction, but the stronger the reaction, the more of a deficiency you have, and the more you need it. (In retrospect, I should have taken just 3/8 of 100 mg to start.) I'm going to build my dosage up, then try to deal with some of my issues that I have been so skilled at burying lately.

Contact your doctor before beginning any extreme vitamin program.

I said it before and I'll say it again: the real EP of the Purif is: deciding you need auditing.

Helena

Jump

Operating teatime

(2) Exercise in the form of running around. Exercise is always a good idea because, among other things, it allows the body to burn up minor toxins, such as alcohol and sugar, as fuel.

Given LRH's penchant for doing "research" in the form of reviewing what other people had done and then claiming credit for it, it comes as no surprise that the vitamin program is exactly the same as Orthomolecular Psychiatry, which was popular in the 1970's.

In Orthomolecular Psychiatry, by taking niacin, B6, and C, the layers of repression that keep bad feelings buried are stripped away. This allows the individual to cease compensating for what was done to hir. This is a good thing. But the pain and disappointment that you accumulated comes at you, making the whole experience rather unpleasant.

I was doing this. When the layers of denial came off, I told my doctor that I was ready for some "talk therapy" to deal with my issues. But she said, oh no, that's not part of the program, "just keep taking the vitamins". Since I was unwilling to remain in misery, I did stop. And that was the big problem with Orthomolecular Psychiatry, that people don't keep taking the vitamins. Hardly anyone remembers this subject now.

Just yesterday, I took 100 mg of niacin. (Note: avoid niacinamide, it doesn't do anything.) I had a violent reaction; bright red itchy skin, feeling hot, then feeling cold. It was a strong reaction, but the stronger the reaction, the more of a deficiency you have, and the more you need it. (In retrospect, I should have taken just 3/8 of 100 mg to start.) I'm going to build my dosage up, then try to deal with some of my issues that I have been so skilled at burying lately.

I said it before and I'll say it again: the real EP of the Purif is: deciding you need auditing.

Helena

I just checked Dr Pauling's 1965 paper. I would think that repressed feelings are not really a psychiatric matter and are not the subject of his thesis.

If you are into experimenting, how about trying more of our ancestral diet - yes, leafy greens. Chopped parsley or Swiss chard, even kale, might give you a nutritional boost. I try to have 5 or 6 big chard leaves daily, chopped and steamed a few minutes (we call them silverbeet). If you like, Dr Pauling mentioned the importance of bioflavonoids in his paper.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
It seems to me that the Purif only appears to work if you think it will.

I didn't want to do it because I've never taken drugs but they made me do it. I spent 21 days on the Purif and went up to maximum vitamin dosage with 5000mg of niacin and nothing happened except the niacin flush.

It was a complete waste of time for me.

Out/Int

Patron with Honors
The Purification Program sold to members of Scientology is complete and utter fraud and harmful for your health.

I felt like shit when I finished the Purif..because I read some of the "mind benders" whilst overdosing on vitamins and niacin" and spending too much time in extreme heat.

I read - "HAVE YOU LIVED BEFORE" - and that started to create cognitive dissonance and the pain in my mind and body was excruciating. I was a Christian before I did Scientology.

The Purif I/C showed me the reference on COPE - that this was "Confusion blowing off"

No - actually it was Confusion being implanted into my subconscious.

Spending hours every day for over a month in a suana - overdosing on too much heat, vitamins and niacin whilst getting implants from Scientology books conveniently left in the sauna for that purpose.

The GETTING Clear Conference in Toronto I just listened to (a friend sent me the entire program) had an Toxicologist, Angela Harris, discuss the Purif.

http://ramboll-environ.com/contact/environ/aharris

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...HCNR41VWrIgjAHliQ&sig2=oO8vbhfIv9f4fdyvClR_8w

There is no science that toxins are stored in the fat.

Every drug is water soluable and eventually the body flushes out.

You do not store toxins in the fat. LSD is WATER SOLUABLE as most drugs and alcohol are.

Taking large doses of vitamins and niacin is harmful for your body.

Everything is toxic to the body - depends on the dosage.

Too much water can kill a person.

The expert said one should not spend that much time in a sauna...it is dangerous.

THIS IS SCIENCE.

Science is done outside of Scientology - in a petrie dish - done by objective observers that test things and write down only what happens...not what they want to believe.

Scientology $ells "belief" and they charge a lot of money, make it difficult to obtain...all - so that you "believe"

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron

Helena

How much niacin do you take in the Orthomolecular Psychiatry process?
One question you might want to ask yourself before reflecting on the beneficial nature of scientology is: How often was hubbard on drugs? (And I don't mean niacin, B6, and C)

arcxcauseblows

Patron Meritorious
The only thing different about the purif and any sweat detox is the overdose of niacin and b and the reason for that is body thetans

Xenu Xenu and more Xenu

HCO BULLETIN OF 29 JANUARY 1980

http://matrixfiles.com/Scientology Materials/HCOPL BPL/HCOB-802901.html

There is another process pretty well forgotten about called
freewheeling. This was discovered in earlier research, and is
described in Science of Survival, II, p. 260, where it is pointed out
that Guk (see All About Radiation) can cause the somatic strip to
freewheel. The active ingredients of Guk being Vitamin B1 and Niacin,
and these cause BTs and clusters to freewheel through engrams they are
stuck in on the track, they don’t get down to a basic or anything,
they unstick from the stuck point in a track engram. This permits that
engram to drop out of chronic restimulation. So we have another
phenomenon going on on the Purification Rundown that persons below OT
III case level would not be aware of. The B1 and Niacin by moving BTs
and clusters out of the engram they are chronically stuck in, permits
these BTs and clusters to drop out of restimulation, and thus cease
mocking it up. This too brings about an improvement in the case
condition of the person.

This indoctrination they consider a temporary destimulation of BTS only to prep you for ot3

Not even any erasure

It's basically an assist that costs how much?

hummingbird

Patron with Honors

Just yesterday, I took 100 mg of niacin. (Note: avoid niacinamide, it doesn't do anything.) I had a violent reaction; bright red itchy skin, feeling hot, then feeling cold. It was a strong reaction, but the stronger the reaction, the more of a deficiency you have, and the more you need it.

(bolding mine) Uh.... dox?

I found this on http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/niacin#safety (Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University)
The tolerable upper intake level (UL)
Flushing of the skin primarily on the face, arms, and chest is a common side effect of niacin and may occur initially at doses as low as 30 mg/day. Although flushing from nicotinamide is rare, the Food and Nutrition Board set the UL for niacin (nicotinic acid and nicotinamide) at 35 mg/day to avoid the adverse effect of flushing (25; Table 3). The UL applies to the general population and is not meant to apply to individuals who are being treated with a nutrient under medical supervision, as should be the case with high-dose niacin for elevated blood cholesterol levels.

WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/diet/niacin-deficiency-symptoms-and-treatments) has this to say:
The recommend daily allowance (RDA) for niacin is 16 milligrams per day for men and 14 milligrams per day for women. Good sources of niacin include red meat, fish, poultry, fortified breads and cereals, and enriched pasta and peanuts.

If you don't eat a lot of niacin-rich foods or if you have a medical condition that affects the absorption of niacin or tryptophan, speak to your doctor. Niacin supplements or multivitamin/mineral supplements, which usually contain at least 20 milligrams of niacin, can help prevent niacin deficiency.

Under the supervision of a doctor, high doses of over-the-counter or prescription niacin or nicotinic acid can be used to treat high cholesterol, including high triglycerides. However, too much nicotinic acid or niacin can be harmful. Avoid taking more than your doctor prescribes or recommends. If you are taking doses of more than 100 milligrams per day, doctors recommend periodic liver function tests.

Show me yours.

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Old Quack really pulled shit out of thin air for the "purif". It is pure snake oil done with zero science.

5000mg of niacin. Really? Why not 4000 or 6000? And no consideration for the body mass of the individual. A 90 lb. girl and a 250 lb man take the same amount? The girl's liver has to work 4 times as hard to flush the niacin out of her system. Extremely dangerous.

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
It was a strong reaction, but the stronger the reaction, the more of a deficiency you have, and the more you need it.

Sure! Of course!
And:
The way out is the way through
What turns it on will turn it off
The only reason someone gets sick is he's PTS
The only reason someone gets cancer is because they aren't smoking enough

Brilliant!

JustSheila

Crusader
It's ironic to think I once took Niacin to get a flush and now that I'm at a certain age, I take something to stop the flushes.

Then there are those who have Rosacea who want nothing more than the flushes to stop.

It's a dilation of the blood vessels, that's all. Discomfort or physical reaction sure doesn't mean something is healthy, though, or I'd be shouting with happiness every time I hit my elbow funny bone, pulled a muscle or had a stomachache because it was good for me.

Sheesh! The irrational connections people make!:duh:

Last edited:

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
(bolding mine) Uh.... dox?

I found this on http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/niacin#safety (Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University)

WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/diet/niacin-deficiency-symptoms-and-treatments) has this to say:

Show me yours.

Thank you! The flushing response is highly idiosyncratic: plasma levels of the metabolite most implicated in the flushing mechanism (nicotinuric acid) do not correlate with incidence of flush. It is NOT indicative of any nutritional effect of niacin or nicotinuric acid.

As pointed out above, almost all drugs of abuse are water soluble and are not found in adipose tissue in any measurable quantities. This is especially true of the one drug Laffy most implicated: LSD. One pharmacoactive compound of abuse is mildly sequestered into fat, however: THC. So it is not entirely accurate to say that all common drugs are water soluble. THC levels do increase with exercise, indicating release from fat stores. No other common drug of abuse shows this pattern, however, and the release of THC from adipose tissue is NOT accelerated by niacin or any other vitamin, nor by heat, so the vitamin and sauna part of the regime, which is the most dangerous, is total bullshit. If you want to do the Purif safely, skip the vitamins, skip the sauna, find a coach and start training for a marathon.

Jump, “Dr.” Pauling was not a medical doctor. He was a Physical Chemist who won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1954 for his work on the chemical bond. His contributions to biochemistry were from the perspective of a physical chemist looking at the primary and secondary structure of proteins and poly nucleic acids.

So the reason I put “Dr.” in scare quotes in the last paragraph is that he had none, zero, zip, nada, no experience with medical research. Speaking as a Physical Chemist who changed career paths into clinical research, this was a fatal flaw in his training, and that, combined with ego, led him to get snookered by a quackery-peddling food chemist with an associates degree. This has had far reaching consequences, including his successful lobbying to remove “nutraceuticals” and vitamins from much FDA oversight.

I’ve covered that sordid story on these boards before. He’s the poster child for why we don’t argue from authority in science.

In other words, nothing the orthomolecular folks have to say is supported by any solid science, and in fact the debunking goes as far back as 1973. I will quote from a 1973 report by the APA task force at length, because it clearly and forcefully lays out the evidence, and if anything, the last 45 years have weakened the evidence base for the Orthomolecular practitioners, and the biochemical rationale has grown weaker, not stronger.

The preceding material should make it clear that in our view the results and claims of the advocates of megavitamin therapy have not been confirmed by several groups of psychiatrists and psychologists experienced in psychopharmacological research. The negative results have been obtained with adequately sized populations, employing careful observations by physicians, psychologists and nurses and employing standardized, reliable psychological and behavioral rating scales and appropriate statistics. They have been designed to test the efficacy of vitamin Ba (nicotinic acid, nicotinamide, niacin) and the coenzyme derived from it (nicotinamide-adenine-dinucleotide), and this has been found to be useless and not without hazard.

Thus, the claims of the megavitamin proponents made as far back as 1957 have not been confirmed. The theoretical basis for megavitamin treatment especially with nicotinic acid has been examined and found wanting. The chemical and psychological tests employed for diagnosis and treatment response have been examined and found lacking in both reliability and specificity. It is suspect that a substantial number of ambulatory patients (Phase I) for whom the best results are obtained may not actually have been schizophrenic and represent a group for whom spontaneous recovery is high.

Since 1957 and particularly since 1968 the treatment methods and theoretical basis for megavitamin therapy have changed. Such practitioners now call themselves orthomolecular psychiatrists and employ additional vitamins in doses very much larger than the average estimated nutritional requirements, as well as ECT, conventional major and minor tranquilizers, and antidepressants. They also employ special diets, hormones and other medication. Since the original studies reported in 1957 they have performed no controlled double blind studies and since the early 1960's they have not reported new data in the major psychiatric or scientific literature. Instead, they have relied upon anecdotal data with claims that they have treated many thousands of patients and that 90% of acute schizophrenics become well within two years of treatment, and that a 5-year treatment-program will see about 75% of both acute and chronic schizophrenics well or much improved. Such claims have been broadly distributed in popular books, the lay press and a journal published by the society in which they have organized.

In the end the credibility of the megavitamin proponents and the orthomolecular psychiatrists becomes the crucial issue because it is never possible to fully prove or disprove a therapeutic procedure. Rather the theory and practice gain or lose credibility as its premises, methods, and results are examined, and attempts are made at clinical replication by independent investigators. ~_This review and critique has carefully examined the literature produced by megavitamin proponents and by those who have attempted to replicate their basic and clinical work. It concludes that in this regard the credibility of the megavitamin proponents is low.

Their credibility is further diminished by a consistent refusal over the past decade to perform controlled experiments and to report their new results in a scientifically acceptable fashion. Under these circumstances this Task Force considers the massive publicity which they promulgate via radio, the lay press and popular books, using catch phrases which are really misnomers like "megavitamin therapy" and "orthomolecular treatment," to be deplorable.

Bold is mine.

Last edited:

Jump

Operating teatime
Thanks Udarnik.
For the purposes of my reply, I overlooked that history. But yes, although Linus Pauling was pretty brainy and got a Nobel prize in chemistry, in many later pursuits he was arguing from limited expertise.
I'll have a full read of your reply later.

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't know what the top limit of vitamin taking is in Orthomolecular Psychiatry. I started taking the vitamins, reached a point where all my "charge" was coming in on me at once, then stopped. (I would have liked to have had some talk therapy at that point, but that wasn't part of the program.)

I don't know what the top limit is there, but I was up to 5g a day of niacin. (Niacin, C, and B6 in a 10-10-1 ratio.)

Does anyone know what the starting point is on the Purif? I thought it was 100 mg, but that was too much for me a few days ago. Perhaps I'll try again at a lower dose when I get up the nerve to try again.

Everything I've said is based on my own personal experience.

Helena

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron
I don't know what the top limit of vitamin taking is in Orthomolecular Psychiatry. I started taking the vitamins, reached a point where all my "charge" was coming in on me at once, then stopped. (I would have liked to have had some talk therapy at that point, but that wasn't part of the program.)

I don't know what the top limit is there, but I was up to 5g a day of niacin. (Niacin, C, and B6 in a 10-10-1 ratio.)

Does anyone know what the starting point is on the Purif? I thought it was 100 mg, but that was too much for me a few days ago. Perhaps I'll try again at a lower dose when I get up the nerve to try again.

Everything I've said is based on my own personal experience.

Helena

4g sugar.jpg

Hypatia

Pagan
I didn't like the Purif. I think it has dangerous methods in it. It didn't make me want auditing, what I wanted was the completion cert.

I only derived one quasi ok thing from it and that's an ability to withstand sauna temps for lengthy periods of time.

I personally think saunaing and hot yoga and things like that are beneficial. But even so, I'd say not everyone should do either. People have died in sweat lodges. I assume hot yoga or long sauna sessions carry the same risks.