What's new

Alex Gibney

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/10/alex-gibney-christopher-hitchens-prize

Alex Gibney, Director of Going Clear, Awarded First Hitchens Prize for Journalism

"......Created by the Dennis and Victoria Ross Foundation, the Hitchens Prize, which carries a cash award of $50,000, will be presented each year to a writer or journalist who embodies the qualities of its namesake: “a commitment to free expression and inquiry, a range and depth of intellect, and a willingness to pursue the truth without regard to personal or professional consequence.“..........."

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Alex_Gibney2.jpg

It must kill David Miscavige that Alex Gibney is a writer who truly embodies the qualities that have earned him this prestigious award. "a commitment to free expression and inquiry, a range and depth of intellect, and a willingness to pursue the truth without regard to personal or professional consequence."

This year in selecting who to give this award to, they chose Scientology's worst enemy.

Suck it up OSA.

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Alex_Gibney2.jpg

It must kill David Miscavige that Alex Gibney is a writer who truly embodies the qualities that have earned him this prestigious award. "a commitment to free expression and inquiry, a range and depth of intellect, and a willingness to pursue the truth without regard to personal or professional consequence."

This year in selecting who to give this award to, they chose Scientology's worst enemy.

Suck it up OSA.

I love the Gibney versus Miscavage comparison.

In Miscavage, one sees a fairly shallow person who is propped up by a great deal of money and people that he has full control over. Miscavage's successes are connected to bullying his co-workers, beating the IRS and befriending Tom Cruise. Aside from good food, great motorcycles, great clothes and a need to dominate what does one see in David Miscavage? David's organization is failing and he has no idea how to stop the slide. David is like the little boy who stole the tractor and it was a lot of fun until the tractor tipped over in the ditch and he has no idea how to get it out.

Gibney, by comparison, has collaborated with top people in creating a film that surpassed nearly all other documentaries and has not only won 3 Emmy's but was one of the most popular documentaries ever shown on HBO. The film shows a great deal of excellent research and is very watchable while being informative. It's a big deal and I think showed courage. Think of OSA working full time on discrediting you. But Gibney's work making neat movies goes on and on. He's a master. Gibney stood up to Scientology and challenged the organization to come after him. His editorial response to the COS's paid-for attack ads was unflinching and factual and lucid.

Dave is master at being Tyrant-of-the-House who runs from any unscripted setting in public because like most bullies, he can't handle a real opponent nor any real threat.

JustSheila

Crusader
:congratulations:, Alex Gibney!

You deserve it. Thank you for all you've done and for all the crap you've had to put up with and still put up with for making, 'Going Clear'.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to more mean, more selfish and perhaps above all, more stupid."

Chris Hitchins.

I like to think Chris would approve of the recipient of this inaugural award.

Congratulations Alex Gibney.

:happydance: