What's new

Purif programme

The precursor to the Purif was "The Sweat Program." I did it. It was gruesome. I think the HCOB describing it was called "Years after they came off LSD". The diet was basically protein powder and 6 pieces of fruit, and one ran around outside for an hour or more in a rubber sweat suit (we started out wearing plastic garbage bags).

Paul
What prompted hubbard to start his research into detox?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
From memory of something written, some crew member on the Apollo screwed up royally, and Hubbard decided the main cause was his having taken lots of LSD.

But who knows? It's hard to take *anything* he said at face value. Maybe he wanted an excuse to increase his own drug intake -- for "research purposes." Maybe he thought it would make him more money. Maybe he thought it would get him a Nobel. Maybe ....

Paul

JustSheila

Crusader
Both Flag and Big Blue had staff saunas before the R ordered Purif all-staff pilot program was initiated around November/December of 1979 but the one at Big Blue was too small for the staff pilot so a larger one was built in the basement where ASHO PC folders were kept. It was very crude, using plywood, but they cleverly tapped into the existing steam pipes that ran along the basement ceiling and over an existing drain so it could be frequently hosed down. All the different org's Qual Divisions were to have a Purif In-Charge who could check for anemia and do heart checks (whatever that meant) and they were to have access to outside medical doctors as needed.
Your memory is incredible.

You're absolutely right. I forgot about the staff sauna and had no idea it was so shoddily built, either. It sure was smelly.

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
Rubber suits and saunas were after my time there. I recall the new issue regarding the Sweat Program and that true believers started drinking liquid glop and running.

I didn't join in and thought it was fucking insane. I cut my billion year contract by 999999999999999999999 years and split before it got any worse. :)

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Rubber suits and saunas were after my time there. I recall the new issue regarding the Sweat Program and that true believers started drinking liquid glop and running.

I didn't join in and thought it was fucking insane. I cut my billion year contract by 999999999999999999999 years and split before it got any worse. :)
Aside from the all blend oil (glop) I seem to recall that we started using predigested liquid protein but there was some issue with it, like it caused heart attacks and some people in the general public died so the product quickly fell out of use.

Yes, it was insane, it got worse, and "we're not coming back".

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
You lost weight and then you had to deal with all that extra skin...

e07328b017e0013783d9005056a9545d

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Your memory is incredible.

You're absolutely right. I forgot about the staff sauna and had no idea it was so shoddily built, either. It sure was smelly.
Yes, it was very funky but they kept to a strict schedule of hosing it down out of necessity and self preservation of olfactory senses. I had used nice cedar saunas a lot and I was very athletic before joining the SO so I was actually happy to have it become acceptable for these things to be integrated into our daily routine. I used to run up to the Observatory on the road, along the ridge and down the gullies before morning muster, but the overcooked institutional food and general dietary regimen was not designed for this kind of physical activity and I lost too much weight and my health severely declined and continued to decline in the years following the program while in the SO. Life in the SO breaks down the body by stress, attrition and neglect as it is and It took about 3 years for my weight to normalize and much longer for my immune system and general health to recover after I left. I was able to supplement my diet with pre-SO savings for several years but eventually that ran out and a little bag of Fritos from the convenience store around the corner constituted an indulgence from my $3.00 - $10.00 a week pay. The CMO implemented the Sweat Program and the Pilot Staff Purif through special projects and they specified that high quality supplements be used because it was was all an LRH program but this was left up to the respective org's Financial Planning Committees who were already on rice and beans allocations and had no choice but to use cheap protein powder. This was around the time of the FBI raid and the "Inflation" price increases both of which eroded income severely and caused funds to be diverted internally from anything that supported the staff.

The original rubberized suits we used were 100% nylon, made in the USA by Russell Athletic. They were actually a very good product and I wore mine as a wind breaker when it got very cold on my motorcycle and I would take it camping or hiking as a back up because it would roll up tightly and light and I could wear it over my pants. For that it worked like a charm. I don't think Russell sells them anymore but similar products are still available and I would highly recommend them to keep in your vehicle for emergencies.

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
1. There was a lot in the media in the late 60's/70's about drugs and Hubbard saw this as a "button" he could exploit to get people interested in scn.

2. Hubbard saw the counterculture as competition. Timothy Leary and others were promoting LSD not just as a way to get high, but as a way to spiritual enlightenment. Hubbard realized that if people had "cognitions" on drugs they wouldn't need scn. So he wanted to paint drugs, esp. LSD, with as black a brush as possible.

Last edited:

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
For some reason, the Purif EP is getting to 5000 mg of Niacin, otherwise you are not done and will have to re-do your Purif.

One person I know has been made to do it 3 times because they did not make it to 5000 mg of Niacin. This person almost lost their eyesight and ended up in the Emergency Ward with a detached retina.

Just be careful.
I don't know during what era you've done your purif, but this is not true--not that it matters since the EP of the purif is a bunch of crap and the entirety of the program is extremely dangerous. It's not necessarily the amount of niacin one ramps up to. According to the LRH materials, you're not supposed to run the PC higher than 5500mgs, and it's supposed to be done gradually after there are no reactions from the niacin at previous doses. Personally, as a PC, I went to all the way up to 5500, but I "overran" it by a couple of weeks, otherwise I probably would've finished out around 2500mgs.

I would think your friend was suffering from heat stroke and dehydration, which is the main and most common reason for complications and deaths. I almost went to the ER at one point and I was told I could only take Tylenol, but I at least needed an Advil for a migraine and fever that kept me from sleeping for two days. I'm also allergic to Tylenol. It's how I found out because my throat closed up. I skipped the sauna portion for three days and went back in for another month with flu-like symptoms. Was awful.

The only time I know of having to re-do the program is if you do more drugs after you've finished, or they scam another one from you years later, telling you that "toxins" have been stored in your body since the last time. But this is hooey. Toxins are not stored in your body, and most drugs leave your body in days to a week. This has been proven my multiple medical professionals for many years now.

As far as anti-seizure medications, first--it depends on what sort of doctor prescribed the meds. So ridiculous. The CS makes the ultimate determination after a SCIENTOLOGY medical doctor checks you out. If a psychiatrist, and maybe (possibly) a neurologist prescribed it, you may not be able to do the purif at all. Nowadays, they are so desperate for members and money-hungry, they probably make all kinds of "non-standard" exceptions. I read recently they were using the purif to "cure" PTSD in veterans, so apparently they are crossing a lot of lines.

Narconon got my mother to go off her bipolar meds, but she was not allowed to do a purif. She almost had a psychotic break anyway. Now they probably don't give two shits about liability since they obviously get away with multiple deaths. They are never held accountable.

..sorry I am very emotionally "charged" when it comes to the practices of Narconon and the purif RD. I was fully trained to run it, know a lot about how Hubbard intended it to be run, and then studied all about how bogus it was.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I read recently they were using the purif to "cure" PTSD in veterans, so apparently they are crossing a lot of lines.
Remember that made for TV movie that Scientology did in the 90s trying to exploit returning vets suffering from Gulf War Syndrome? I think it only played once with a lot of lead up hype and quickly disappeared into oblivion. They have been after this marketing demographic for a long time.

phenomanon

Canyon
It must have changed soon after that because I did it in 1984 and a doctor's permission was required before starting.
There were some unexpected problems (!) in 80, like Maggie's contact lenses did something in the Sauna, etc,like melt, so they had to add more sensible rules. But wasn't the Dr that gave permission Megan Shields, over at Shaw's Clinic? I guess it was Denk's Clinic by '84.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
There were some unexpected problems (!) in 80, like Maggie's contact lenses did something in the Sauna, etc,like melt, so they had to add more sensible rules. But wasn't the Dr that gave permission Megan Shields, over at Shaw's Clinic? I guess it was Denk's Clinic by '84.
Well, I don't know who Maggie is or Megan Shields or where Shaw's Clinic or Denk's Clinic is. I'm in England. All I know is that in 1984 it was part of the Purif routing form for anyone routing onto the Purif anywhere in the world to get a doctor's permission first.

Last edited:
I don't know during what era you've done your purif, but this is not true--not that it matters since the EP of the purif is a bunch of crap and the entirety of the program is extremely dangerous. It's not necessarily the amount of niacin one ramps up to. According to the LRH materials, you're not supposed to run the PC higher than 5500mgs, and it's supposed to be done gradually after there are no reactions from the niacin at previous doses. Personally, as a PC, I went to all the way up to 5500, but I "overran" it by a couple of weeks, otherwise I probably would've finished out around 2500mgs.

I would think your friend was suffering from heat stroke and dehydration, which is the main and most common reason for complications and deaths. I almost went to the ER at one point and I was told I could only take Tylenol, but I at least needed an Advil for a migraine and fever that kept me from sleeping for two days. I'm also allergic to Tylenol. It's how I found out because my throat closed up. I skipped the sauna portion for three days and went back in for another month with flu-like symptoms. Was awful.

The only time I know of having to re-do the program is if you do more drugs after you've finished, or they scam another one from you years later, telling you that "toxins" have been stored in your body since the last time. But this is hooey. Toxins are not stored in your body, and most drugs leave your body in days to a week. This has been proven my multiple medical professionals for many years now.

As far as anti-seizure medications, first--it depends on what sort of doctor prescribed the meds. So ridiculous. The CS makes the ultimate determination after a SCIENTOLOGY medical doctor checks you out. If a psychiatrist, and maybe (possibly) a neurologist prescribed it, you may not be able to do the purif at all. Nowadays, they are so desperate for members and money-hungry, they probably make all kinds of "non-standard" exceptions. I read recently they were using the purif to "cure" PTSD in veterans, so apparently they are crossing a lot of lines.

Narconon got my mother to go off her bipolar meds, but she was not allowed to do a purif. She almost had a psychotic break anyway. Now they probably don't give two shits about liability since they obviously get away with multiple deaths. They are never held accountable.

..sorry I am very emotionally "charged" when it comes to the practices of Narconon and the purif RD. I was fully trained to run it, know a lot about how Hubbard intended it to be run, and then studied all about how bogus it was.
Can you please link me to any studies? Thanks

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish

Before the purif I'd read about niacin's skin flushing effects in Adele Davis's nutrition books who Hubbard had endorsed. At the time, 1974, I still had juvenile acne and thought, "hey, if niacin flushes my skin, won't it flush out the toxins causing my acne"? So I used it to remedy my acne and it worked. Then my best friends younger brother had really deep acne, the kind that permanently scars people and his dermatologist had him on tetracycline with little success. So I talked him in to trying the niacin and it knocked out his acne and his dermatologist was so impressed he started trying it on his other patients. But we were only taking 500mg tabs of niacin once or twice a day and not niacinamide. I actually enjoyed the burn of the flush. But mega doses of niacin, or any other B vitamin was reputed to cause B vitamin imbalances and deficiencies of the other B vitamins so we never dreamed of using such mega-doses of 5500mg! Then the purif came out and I knew I couldn't handle the time spent in a sauna as I'd get killer headaches after just 15 minutes or so in a steaming sauna and I never did it consequently.

phenomanon

Canyon
1. There was a lot in the media in the late 60's/70's about drugs and Hubbard saw this as a "button" he could exploit to get people interested in scn.

2. Hubbard saw the counterculture as competition. Timothy Leary and others were promoting LSD not just as a way to get high, but as a way to spiritual enlightenment. Hubbard realized that if people had "cognitions" on drugs they wouldn't need scn. So he wanted to paint drugs, esp. LSD, with as black a brush as possible.
Bingo!

JustSheila

Crusader
Before the purif I'd read about niacin's skin flushing effects in Adele Davis's nutrition books who Hubbard had endorsed. At the time, 1974, I still had juvenile acne and thought, "hey, if niacin flushes my skin, won't it flush out the toxins causing my acne"? So I used it to remedy my acne and it worked. Then my best friends younger brother had really deep acne, the kind that permanently scars people and his dermatologist had him on tetracycline with little success. So I talked him in to trying the niacin and it knocked out his acne and his dermatologist was so impressed he started trying it on his other patients. But we were only taking 500mg tabs of niacin once or twice a day and not niacinamide. I actually enjoyed the burn of the flush. But mega doses of niacin, or any other B vitamin was reputed to cause B vitamin imbalances and deficiencies of the other B vitamins so we never dreamed of using such mega-doses of 5500mg! Then the purif came out and I knew I couldn't handle the time spent in a sauna as I'd get killer headaches after just 15 minutes or so in a steaming sauna and I never did it consequently.
That was good advice. :) The niacin flush is because it dilates (opens) the blood vessels. This helps blood circulation to the skin. Lots of skin problems don't heal because of poor circulation. I've seen a lot of that in aged care. The skin is a great organ and works very well if there's good circulation.

You're right, it doesn't take much niacin to get a flush. No reason to overdo it with megadoses. More does not mean better.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
That was good advice. :) The niacin flush is because it dilates (opens) the blood vessels. This helps blood circulation to the skin. Lots of skin problems don't heal because of poor circulation. I've seen a lot of that in aged care. The skin is a great organ and works very well if there's good circulation.

You're right, it doesn't take much niacin to get a flush. No reason to overdo it with megadoses. More does not mean better.
My experience with niacin (not niacin-amide) was I would get the initial skin flush but not everyday after that.
(IIRC, it was 500mg per day.)
Taking it everyday, the skin flush would decrease to none over just a few days of time. Then I stopped taking it.

Last edited: