What's new

What will my life be like after Scientology?

Today I was talking with a scio. friend, and lo and behold - turns out he is an ex. We had a great 1/2 hr conversation - and - I want to share the best part of the conversation:

He said that when he left Scientology - his curiosity re-emerged. It was as if it was in abeyance for some 30 years while he was on the bridge.

He said it was as if his 20 something year old self had re-emerged, the same curiosity, but having 30 something years of experience under his belt, he was better able to gauge what he wanted to explore. Some of the people he works with who started out with the same 20 something year old's curiosity, who never had that pause, that being on hold, are now bitter. He remarked a friend of his, who is also out, experienced the same thing.

I was like: OMG - I experienced the exact same thing - as all you ESMBers know for the varied posts I have made over the years, of things I have found interesting, some sketchy, some not. My curiosity has definitely come to the fore, and how many times have I railed against those here who seem stuck in fixed viewpoints? Who's apparent lack of curiosity genuinely surprises me.

On the other hand, how many ESMBers I have truly enjoyed their freshness, their open hearted beingness and willingness to help, communicate? They are the best part of ESMB. And there are lots of them.

He said, that while he felt his journey in scientology was necessary, but he stayed in perhaps 10 years too long. I have felt that as well - I felt the concepts of man as a spiritual being, etc, were important to learn - and that it was a step on my journey of finding self, and now I am moving onwards past that plateau.

So, yes - a whole new world awaits you, a wonderous world full of adventure, when you put down the yoke of Scientology that has kept you in its thrall.

Best,

Mimsey

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Today I was talking with a scio. friend, and lo and behold - turns out he is an ex. We had a great 1/2 hr conversation - and - I want to share the best part of the conversation: said that when he left Scientology - his curiosity re-emerged. It was as if it was in abeyance for some 30 years while he was on the bridge.

He said it was as if his 20 something year old self had re-emerged, the same curiosity, but having 30 something years of experience under his belt, he was better able to gauge what he wanted to explore. Some of the people he works with who started out with the same 20 something year old's curiosity, who never had that pause, that being on hold, are now bitter. He remarked a friend of his, who is also out, experienced the same thing.

I was like: OMG - I experienced the exact same thing - as all you ESMBers know for the varied posts I have made over the years, of things I have found interesting, some sketchy, some not. My curiosity has definitely come to the fore, and how many times have I railed against those here who seem stuck in fixed viewpoints? Who's apparent lack of curiosity genuinely surprises me.

On the other hand, how many ESMBers I have truly enjoyed their freshness, their open hearted beingness and willingness to help, communicate? They are the best part of ESMB. And there are lots of them.

He said, that while he felt his journey in scientology was necessary, but he stayed in perhaps 10 years too long. I have felt that as well - I felt the concepts of man as a spiritual being, etc, were important to learn - and that it was a step on my journey of finding self, and now I am moving onwards past that plateau.

So, yes - a whole new world awaits you, a wonderous world full of adventure, when you put down the yoke of Scientology that has kept you in its thrall.

Best,

Mimsey

Interesting post!

My first moments in Scientology might explain a lot of why the fires of natural curiosity are extinguished by any association with "mankind's greatest friend".

I've posted it before--but briefly, I saw a wall graphic in the mission i wandered into as a teenager. There it was, an oversized cult poster featuring THE GRIM REAPER with the headline: "ABANDON YOUR DIFFICULT SEARCH--THE ANSWERS HAVE BEEN FOUND".

Jeez, that's great, all the mysteries of life have been solved already! What shall we call that Orwellian "Big Lie"?

Oh, I know, let's use cult nomenclature!

It was "false data" and it was an "implant". The very 2 things the cult claimed to cure.

THE DEATH OF CURIOSITY: Scientologists are like infants sucking "formula" out of a bottle. They never once think to stop and look around for a better bottle.

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Today I was talking with a scio. friend, and lo and behold - turns out he is an ex. We had a great 1/2 hr conversation - and - I want to share the best part of the conversation:

He said that when he left Scientology - his curiosity re-emerged. It was as if it was in abeyance for some 30 years while he was on the bridge. <snip>
Great! Sign him up. Have him post here. :biggrin:

Paul

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was vastly improved by the HAS Course and read the books before starting the Student Hat at SF's short-lived Celebrity Center...

I was thrilled by SoS but quickly found the Scn to appear to be violating some of it's best principles; e.g. at the top of the "Reality" column a person is enthusiastically interested in other and different realities.

I think many who leave after shorter stays leave because Scn has raised their awareness and ability and they are now ready to go get it on with living...

I left in much better shape than I entered and bottom line that was why I left; better able to live I wanted to get on with it...

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I was vastly improved by the HAS Course and read the books before starting the Student Hat at SF's short-lived Celebrity Center...

I was thrilled by SoS but quickly found the Scn to appear to be violating some of it's best principles; e.g. at the top of the "Reality" column a person is enthusiastically interested in other and different realities.

I think many who leave after shorter stays leave because Scn has raised their awareness and ability and they are now ready to go get it on with living...

I left in much better shape than I entered and bottom line that was why I left; better able to live I wanted to get on with it...
Yes, given your current circumstances it's obvious that Hubbard's dianetics and scientology has done you the world of good.

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson

He said that when he left Scientology - his curiosity re-emerged. It was as if it was in abeyance for some 30 years while he was on the bridge.

Best,

Mimsey

I recall that William S. Burroughs mentioned a somewhat similar observation in, I think it was his novel, Junkie
though it was mainly about physical attributes. There are also other similarities in it.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I recall that William S. Burroughs mentioned a somewhat similar observation in, I think it was his novel, Junkie
though it was mainly about physical attributes. There are also other similarities in it.
Obviously you're not talking about his departure from scientology since Junky (by William S. Burroughs) or Junkie (by William Lee) was written long before his involvement in that, so I take it you must mean his observations on getting off heroin? I've just fished the book from my bookshelf, but the chances of my finding the relevant text is pretty remote.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Could it have been in "Ali's Smile" that he made that observation?

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
Yes, it was long before the clams for Burroughs.

I'm pretty sure it is in Junkie. What I recall vaguely is that Burroughs tells of seeing someone after not seeing him for a long while and remarking with some astonishment at his apparent lack of physical aging. He speculated that this was due to the effects of addiction which were to freeze one in time.

Later I thought this tied in nicely with the frozen alcohol and glycol mixture mentioned at OTIII, etc.

RogerB

Crusader

Best,

Mimsey
Good post, Mimsey . . .

But to answer your question as posed in your thread title, I would/can answer in one word: BETTER!

:D:p

R