What's new

The Illiterates of Scientology

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

Scientology routinely claims it has the ONLY workable method of teaching someone how to learn. They proclaim they bring literacy to millions around the world — here are just a few excerpts from the scientology.org website. These are not even the hype statements they dish up at “international events”: But their own promotional pieces put[.......]

Continue reading...

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Like Mike, I find the consistent examples of decreased literacy in Scientology promo to be a huge red flag. These things aren't just made up by some English as a second language staff member on a religious visa or a 2nd gen GED graduate who didn't graduate public school and then run off on the jet printer and sent out for BPI (Broad Public Distribution) without oversight.

It must first be submitted to the LRH Communicator for Issue Authority with a CSW (Completed Staff Work) submission that shows the PR Survey that it is based on and any respectable LRH Comm won't approve anything that violates other policies or compromises the image of LRH and Scientology like poor spelling and grammar.

The LRH Comm doesn't approve funding, postage or other resources for promo. That requires approval by the promo creator's seniors and in an undermanned org those posts could be held from above even by the Executive Director or Commanding Officer.

This tells me that the quality and effectiveness of people on the management level of LRH Comms and financial lines has seriously declined.

We might also question the methodology and rational behind the survey results that provide the buttons and positioning being used in their promo, even by Scientology standards, but that's another issue.

Personally I think the LRH Comm network was becoming less and less relevant around the time the CMO was taking more direct control of routine management around 1980. The GO was also being reincarnated under the CMO as OSA at this time and the WDC was over the ED Int and everyone so by the time LRH was dead the original mission for the LRH Comm network was ancient history. I expect Miscavige wasn't too keen on maintaining a communicator network that was supposed to serve him in the name of someone else and creating the The COB Communicator Network would seem kind of presumptuous while abolishing the founder's version and it would be insanely redundant to have both. So it seems proofreading for staff who aren't Super Lit yet has fallen between the many cracks in the org board.

This is a PDF download of an HCOPL so I'm posting a screen shot instead of the link:

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 12.21.44 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 12.31.41 PM.jpg

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I think that more staff are second-generation Scientologists, whose schooling is even more neglected than what the current public school system does.

Scientologists who send their kids to regular schools run the risk of them being exposed to "entheta", whether from teachers or other students, if it becomes known they are Scientologists.

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
I think that more staff are second-generation Scientologists, whose schooling is even more neglected than what the current public school system does.

Scientologists who send their kids to regular schools run the risk of them being exposed to "entheta", whether from teachers or other students, if it becomes known they are Scientologists.

But if they then try to home school, what happens when one of the kids runs a search engine request on scientology? Big problem. Therefore they must have strictly administrated cult "schools" and how do you think that would work out in the real world? It wouldn't. Another big problem.

Seems like the cult has big problems on all sides. That's why kids raised in scientology environments are illiterate much beyond kindergarden level. What a losing situation to put kids into.

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
Not to defend scn at all, but ... that first example of Mike's with supposed errors boxed in red doesn't actually contain any errors.

Screenshot 2019-08-06 at 8.00.12 PM.png
There are no spelling or grammatical errors.

You might think "literacy" or "illiteracy" should have 2 t's, but no, one is correct. "By which to address" is awkward, but not wrong. If you changed it to "with which" it'd be more idiomatic. I think "cutting edge" should have a hyphen -- "cutting-edge" -- but that's about it.

The other examples he gives certainly do contain egregious errors, but this one is actually okay.

Maybe somebody ought to tell Mike?

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
Not to defend scn at all, but ... that first example of Mike's with supposed errors boxed in red doesn't actually contain any errors.

View attachment 15521

You might think "literacy" or "illiteracy" should have 2 t's, but no, one is correct. "By which to address" is awkward, but not wrong. If you changed it to "with which" it'd be more idiomatic. I think "cutting edge" should have a hyphen -- "cutting-edge" -- but that's about it.

The other examples he gives certainly do contain egregious errors, but this one is actually okay.

Wasn't he just outlining or highlighting the clams' claims in that part of his article?

Gib

Crusader
There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

Scientology routinely claims it has the ONLY workable method of teaching someone how to learn. They proclaim they bring literacy to millions around the world — here are just a few excerpts from the scientology.org website. These are not even the hype statements they dish up at “international events”: But their own promotional pieces put[.......]

Continue reading...
gawd, the first thing I thought about when reading that post was

what about Key to Life Course and LOC, Life Orientation Course.

Aren't everybody involved in scientology supposed to do those courses?

I mean, back in the day when they first came out, those courses were supposed to be the key to life?

LOL

LOL

Oh the rhetoric of it all.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
That wasn't the way I interpreted it. If I'm wrong I assume he'll ignore the e-mail I sent him about it.

Mike made a minor formatting errror, by identically highlighting the grammatical errors AND the cult's promotional guarantees. Graphically he is giving the same value to two (2) different and oppositional elements. Simple error to correct.

He should have simply designated one as the "COS promo guarantees" (and noted those in a different color or by underlining it).

Then it makes sense.

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

gawd, the first thing I thought about when reading that post was...what about Key to Life Course and LOC, Life Orientation Course. Aren't everybody involved in scientology supposed to do those courses? I mean, back in the day when they first came out, those courses were supposed to be the Key To Life?
They were the kay to life.

Until wholetrack research revealed that there was a more basic course needed by Scientologists to attain Total Freedom.

Key To Donations

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
Key to Life and LOC (Life Orientation Course) were cancelled as squirrel and Off-Source. No longer for sale, no longer available.

Ray Mithoff and Sue Koon (former wife of Dan Koon) were clobbered for the cult releasing and selling these courses for YEARS

Ray, has been the brunt of a lot of beatings, punchings and body slammings by Miscavige according to multiple corroborated reports.
RayMithoff.jpg

Reactions: Gib

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Also, BTBs were cancelled as being "off source".

In addition to this:
IIRC, Hubbard said that you don't just find a "why" but you also need to find a "who" (to blame).
I don't remember the HCO PL for this particular item.

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
However, no refunds or reparations to those who paid good money for these *Squirrel* materials and courses ~~ KTL and LOC.

HelluvaHoax!

In addition to this: IIRC, Hubbard said that you don't just find a "WHY" but you also need to find a "WHO" (to blame).
Later research by Dr. Hubbard revealed even more discoveries:

-- You don't just find a "why"
-- You also need to find a "who" (to blame)
-- You also need to find a "where" (to degrade the who)[sup]1[/sup]
[sup]1 [/sup] where to degrade DBs, SPs (and others attempting to sabotage planetary clearing): Locations including but not limited to The RPF, The Hole, Overboarding into the ocean, Chain Lockers and other tech "locational" processes designed to erase engrams causing the being to be evil.

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
I had no idea that KTL and LOC had been cancelled...WoW! That really hits home.

Never did them myself...but certainly they were heavily promoted and many did do these courses, back when I was around.

KTL and LOC were a BIG DEAL....back in the day.

I recall that they were promoted as the Courses that LRH had intended everyone to do....to "really get it..."

Was Ray Mithoff solely responsible....( I can't imagine how...) or was he just the scapegoat...?

On another note....

How about Pro-Trs Clay Table Auditing? Is that still sold?

Whats the deal with the Briefing Course....is it really not offered anymore? I'd like to know about that.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
However, no refunds or reparations to those who paid good money for these *Squirrel* materials and courses ~~ KTL and LOC.
Certainly not Karen,If they were ethical people they wouldn't have pulled in off source courses. Although, they should take full responsibility for they took a squirreld course and be grateful COB didn't declare them.
:D

Last edited:

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron

View attachment 15521

I think you have missed the point. In that first example Mike is showing that they brag about how good they are in terms of literacy. In the subsequent examples he shows all the mistakes which disprove this.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Certainly not Karen,If they were ethical people they wouldn't have pulled on off source courses. Although, they should take full responsibility for they took a squirreld course and be grateful COB didn't declare them.
Me thinks that you know too much, Lotus. You clearly have an exquisite knowledge of the finer points of the Scientology doctrine of karma.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Key to Life and LOC (Life Orientation Course) were cancelled as squirrel and Off-Source. No longer for sale, no longer available.

Ray Mithoff and Sue Koon (former wife of Dan Koon) were clobbered for the cult releasing and selling these courses for YEARS

Ray, has been the brunt of a lot of beatings, punchings and body slammings by Miscavige according to multiple corroborated reports.
RayMithoff.jpg
Wow. I was trained as a KTL Review Auditor in the first 'evolution' to establish KTL and LOC in every Class V Org. A BIG FUSS was made about this evolution, as Leland says. IIRC, KTL and LOC were, at the time, supposed to be the prerequisites to doing SuperPower, which was supposedly going to be released shortly thereafter. Although, I may be recalling this incorrectly, because the other plan I remember was that Superpower was going to be delivered to all staff, and then all politicians (!) in order to effect planetary clearing.

After the first KTL/LOC evolution, where we were all sent to ITO (International Training Org) to train on the courses and their delivery, a LARGE PERCENTAGE of the KTL/LOC delivery staff that fired back to the UK promptly blew (I was one of them). Then they tried to lure us down to Saint Hill for corrections and recovery, telling us that squirrelling had occurred at ITO (no doubt some poor SO executive went to the RPF for that).

I quite enjoyed the KTL and LOC. I blew because I couldn't live on the (lack of) salary that was being paid in the org, not because of anything to do with the KTL/LOC. But it's the same old formula, isn't it? Declare that the course is squirrel, and then release a "new improved" version of it, after having put someone's head on a pike.

One would have thought that, by now, with all these releases and re-releases that are still turning out to be squirrel, it should be evident to the CoS 'parishioners' that it's the head of the church's head that needs to go on a pike, not yet another of his underlings.