What's new

Battle Of Britain - 1974

Moonchild

Patron with Honors
Hoppy Hopkins is still running some management comapny with Jay Hurwitz I believe from East Grinstead. Both declared. I wanst locked up, that I recall, but I was hallucinating much of the time from 8 hours a week sleep and a loaf of stale bread once a week if I could beg the money off someone, happy days they were, no idea about John Harry Watson, really liked him, he had a company in Saudi for a while then no trace. Lesley remarried John Simons, then someone else, no idea where she is, and Dave Allington went to work in Saudi for a bit then no idea, nice chap though.

La La Lou Lou

Yes indeed, John Harry was a decent bloke; prior to his activities in Saudi (producing "hanging ceilings" or similar per our last conversation back in 1979) he'd attempted to create a music management company along with a guy named Stewart Solloff who at that time ran a fast-food outlet or burger-bar or something like that somewhere in W. London. I was briefly involved with a band called "Cahoots" which featured John Harry's wife Angie as vocalist...maybe my favourite greasy Arab (sorry Sam...remember the joke if you happen to see this?) Hossam Ramzy was involved too, not sure about that. Angie released a single titled "Dear Computer" (on the "Magnet" label) under the name "Anji Cakebread" produced by fellow-scnist Tony Rockliffe who I believe went on to enjoy production success in the USA.

I recall doing a recording session for "Cahoots" which also included Ron Hopkins who was a fine flamenco guitarist; overall I wasn't much use to them, I was rollercoastering like crazy at the time (another story).

I also recall Lesley Simons, never knew her that well but my impression was that she was a lovely woman.

Dave Allington: he was the CS London Fdn. I wasn't aware that he'd worked for John Harry out in Saudi but whatever. IIRC Dave married his 2D Jan King (auditor) in 1979 or possibly early 1980 and they emigrated to the USA presumably to further their Scn. career there.

Just a few recollections if they're of any interest? :)

Edit: No, it wasn't Sam Ramzy on percussion it was a guy named Allan Easson; Allan was an accomplished drummer with jazz leanings; would be nice to think he didn't abandon his playing to serve the cult.

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Allan Easson I saw at flag in the mid eighties, he's been persuaded to replace himself and get to the US where he'd have a job in advance mag or gold or something that sounded wonderfull, then he replaced a printer to go to gold or somewhere and was stuck in the printing room. He wasnt best pleased.
Really nice guy, another abused person.

Yes I remember hearing dear computer, it was a good record! She had a good voice. Hope she's doing well.

So much wasted and abused tallent!

La La

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
I was at FOLOUK as a brand new SO member the end of '74 and remember the Battle Of Britain posters stuck up in various locations around SH.

I slept in the barn/stable at Stonelands for a time.

The most indelible memory of that time is of the food... my God, it was atrocious. Someone saw my reaction and said, "At least we have something to eat." I never fully understood the comment until much later.

A friend who shared this wonderful SO experience with me still talks disgustedly about the food at FOLOUK every time we talk about SH.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Food's only for the body!
Why should you care about that!
A thetan doesnt need food.
Oh yes they were fun times.

Well, at that time, I knew I was an immortal Spiritual Being but still hadn't learnt to think of myself as a Thetan!

I still thought of myself as being responsible for the health and well-being of my body and, of course, proper sleep and nourishment were high on the body's agenda of needs (I vaguely seem to recall that these two things were considered to be just slightly less important than a healthy sex life). Of course, these strange ideas of mine were eventually sublimated as the scientological identity-molding progressed.

I know I shouldn't have even considered complaining about the food at FOLOUK, I now understand that there were poor sods in London Org begging for stale bread!

You continue to make me smile La La Lou Lou, shine on! :)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The most unfortunate part of this time period was that although Sibersky was only in the UK for about ten days his "management style" got adopted by the FOLO UK execs - Linda Parselle especially - and so the insane three-hours-a-night-sleep schedule got continued for about three months more before it died out. Just before the staff did.

Paul

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Dulloldfart, that is really unbelievable, was that really true that he did so much damage in such short a space of time, the goldenrod just kept pouring out as staff and public, old timers and allies dropped like flies. And it carried on for years, I wonder what percentage of freezone went through it, I bet it's rather high.

He should take over from Dotty Misscarriage, he did the job much better!:dieslaughing:

La La Louie

Terril park

Sponsor
I was at london Org in 1975 and although I missed the battle of Britain, I was always hearing about the craziness of it all. Ron Hopkins was the CO, what happened to him, I think he was declared. Apperently at staff meetings, Sibersky would order that underperformers should be arrested and then they would be locked up for a period of time. A guy called John Harry was the CO of London Day, Lesley Farrow was around, David Allington was the CS.

We may know each other. I can be phoned on 0208-864-4940

Terril park

Sponsor
Hoppy Hopkins is still running some management comapny with Jay Hurwitz I believe from East Grinstead. Both declared. I wanst locked up, that I recall, but I was hallucinating much of the time from 8 hours a week sleep and a loaf of stale bread once a week if I could beg the money off someone, happy days they were, no idea about John Harry Watson, really liked him, he had a company in Saudi for a while then no trace. Lesley remarried John Simons, then someone else, no idea where she is, and Dave Allington went to work in Saudi for a bit then no idea, nice chap though.

La La Lou Lou

Shit! you have good info. I believe Jay and Pam are now retired. I've connected to John Harry on this forum. Lesley married Laurie Woodcraft of
asbestos/ Freewinds fame. Father of Astra, co-founder of Ex Scientology kids. Knew David Allington. He married Jan King, georgeous with long hair.
She did a mildly fucked up ethics cycle with me after doing some flag ethics training or whatever. They went to the US and I know not where on they went.

You probably know Phillip Christodoulou. Was once cited as one of the top 3 auditors world wide or something similar. Sent back to cooking after questionable folder admin. :)

We know each other?

Anyway you are welcome to phone me on 0208-864-4940

Blessings. :)

Carmel

Crusader
I've enjoyed reading this thread. I don't know who the people are that you are talking about (besides one mentioned who visited ANZO), but for whatever reason, it's put a big smile on my face. Thanks for sharing. :D

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I've enjoyed reading this thread. I don't know who the people are that you are talking about (besides one mentioned who visited ANZO), but for whatever reason, it's put a big smile on my face. Thanks for sharing. :D

I have some recognition for the feeling :)

Despite the fact of not knowing any of the people and never having been part of the 'system', ESMB always makes me smile as the stories that were supposed to be subsumed into 'Clearing the Planet' emerge intact from the Scientology glacier of silence.

Global Warming or Springtime; it's wonderful.

Zinj

Free Will

Patron with Honors
I've just had quite a laugh reading this thread, including my original post.
One thing's for sure: there wasn't anything more interesting happening anywhere else in the UK in these days.
One more memory from the Battle: I remember when the CO London Foundation suddenly found himself in the SO and RPF he told me how the Flag Rep there (I won't name him though I could) copied Sibersky/Berserksky's style: throwing a dagger into the GI graph to tell him "where your fucking stat better be before you go home tonight".
Most execs went into Sibersky's Nazi valence because he assured us this was a Source Mission being run directly by Ron.
As Paul mentioned above, we never really returned to a sane schedule after that. Indeed, most people stopped taking their study time forever since otherwise it was impossible to keep their stats in the same range as they had reached during the 18-hour work-day period.

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
stats in the SO

although I ws only in the SO for 1 year I realized when getting my post that it was better for me to do as little as possible in order to keep improving my stat upwards, so I started with very little only to do maybe very slightly more the week after, thus my stat was always on its way up and I got my Saturdays off and was 'upstat'.

I never worked my arse off though, quite enjoped the EPF with all the outside grounds work.
Worst was night-watch or the stuffing parties after hours where some people would just disappear, I never had the guts.........

Although I eventually did disappear, as my 'routing-out' was taking for ever, so I just took my bag and hitchhiked to London

auntpat

Patron with Honors
A staff ethics chuckle

I was on staff in LA and owned a ouji board. It was a board with a warped sense of humor. For instance I remember one gal asking if she would be married. The answer was "Yes", then she asked "When?" the answer was "Soon", then she asked "How soon?" and the answer again was "Soon", "Really really soon?" she inquired. Again the answer was "Soon". "But when?" she cried. The answer was "Tomorrow".
One of the gals on staff was convinced she was a great Russian ballerina in a past life. So she asked my board if she ever lived in Russia. Answer "Yes". question, "Was i someone famous?" Answer "Yes". Question "What was my name?" Answer "Rasputin"
Girl was very upset, and the next day I was callled into ethics and told to destroy my ouji board and told that it had invalidated the girls auditing. Well, I did throw away the board but could never understand how a cardboard object with a warped sense of humor could invalidate auditing.
Love & Light, auntpat

JHW here

I am John Harry Watson, ED London Day from 1974 to 1977 when I successfully (but with great difficulty) routed out of my 5-year staff contract. I was still a devoted Scn but had a family to support and that was impossible as a staff member. My replacement was Brian Wingate, FEBC at vast expense. Whatever happened to him?

For my last year or so Ron "Hoppy" Hopkins was ED London Fdn., having been busted from the Flagship to CO FOLOUK then to London Fdn. We shared an office, and much more, on the fifth floor at 68 Tottenham Court Road. He was (and I hope still is) an awesome Flamenco guitar player.

Hoppy was a founding member of Flag's RPF's RPF. He has mind-boggling stories to tell. I wish he would. But he and Pamela (née-Thorne) and Jay Hurwitz have chosen to bury/not-is their past and not speak out--a shame IMO--as they could shed much light for those still entrapped.

At the time of Sibersky's "Battle of Britain" in 1974 I was Qual. Sec. and my main stat was "Success Stories". With staff being insanely driven 24/7 and dropping--literally--in their tracks there was constant demand for "assists", with their required "Success Stories", thus I dodged the hammer...

Prior to this we had been happily rolling along delivering auditing and training, having wins and fun--isolated, it seemed, from the SO and International Management. The org was a little shabby and run-down and on cope most of the time but both staff and public were winning. My sole and devoted concern was to deliver LRH tech to all who asked for it--a huge mistake as it later turned out (my personal war with Jane Kember, GWW, will be a later installment).

I had a 2D with Lesley Farrow (later Simons then Woodcraft) somewhere in there among others, we'll leave those to a later episode if anyone's interested. The 2D was pretty flexible in those days--especially in the S.O. at AOSH UK--oh boy, do I have some stories.

I had some face time with Sibersky. He was/is? one powerfully-driven man and very frightening at first. A white Russian by birth, so jealous of his lost past, he had found an outlet in the S.O. for his fanatical anti-communism and belief in "homo novis". Ayn Rand would have been so proud. Where is he now?

Please excuse this rambling, our of sequence post. Just expressing the memories relevant to this thread as they pop up.

Dave Allington and I were great friends with a shared history of over-the-top LSD use and the hippy trail to India and a thirst for everything Hubbard--especially the space opera stuff. We did the HSDC and Academy Levels together under the supervision of the incomparable Nicky Mendoza, original Cl. VIII. We both fell asleep in a session once where I was auditing him on Dianetics, over-running into the dirt, but after we woke up I recorded a 5 hour session with FN/VGI's at the examiner. Wish they'd all been that easy.

He and I discovered a big old safe in a storage space below the pavement at the front of the building (TCR) and managed to open it. Inside we found ALL the SHSBC AND Cl. VIII lecture tapes! Oh boy, what a treasure trove for two errant academy students. We spent many after-course hours wallowing in GPM, OT3 and implant material way above our case level. It was fantastic stuff--and a withhold missed by Nicky on numerous occasions. Neither of us got pneumonia or "free-wheeled" BTW. We both became auditors and, between us, produced thousands of WDAH.

I reconnected with Dave and Jan in Los Angeles circa 1981. He was actually making a modest living as an auditor at AOSH. Where is Dave now? Anyone know?

Then there was my nemesis Peter Buttery (SP emeritus IMO who became a Cl.XII and was busted by Miscavige over the McPherson death). Then there were the returning FEBC grads with their SRA's, "too gruesomes", etc. Then my battle with Jane Kember. And it all destructed.

PLEASE NOTE this was under LRH's watch and micro-supervision--Miscavige came later--sorry, Marty. LRH and his aides wrote and enforced the mission orders for Sibersky's "Battle of Britain" which very nearly destroyed Scn in the UK.

More ramblings to come.

My humble regards to all of you on ESMB, keep up the good work. The walls are tumbling down,

JHW

Hello Free Will

"Most execs went into Sibersky's Nazi valence because he assured us this was a Source Mission being run directly by Ron."

Well I didn't 'cos I didn't need to and had an out--"Success Stories" ;-) but Alex told me to my face that "Ron is directly running this mission" and all of these actions were directly from Source.

Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder PAY ATTENTION. Miscavige was in diapers at this time (probably still is, come to think of it).

Wakey-wakey!

JHW

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
"Most execs went into Sibersky's Nazi valence because he assured us this was a Source Mission being run directly by Ron."

Well I didn't 'cos I didn't need to and had an out--"Success Stories" ;-) but Alex told me to my face that "Ron is directly running this mission" and all of these actions were directly from Source.

Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder PAY ATTENTION. Miscavige was in diapers at this time (probably still is, come to think of it).

Wakey-wakey!

JHW
A very timely reminder, John. Thank you.
I was at FOLOUK for the tail-end of the B of B.
My girlfriend at the time was German.
After a couple of weeks at FOLOUK she murmured in my ear, "These guys are fanatics! It's the Nazis all over again!".
I should have listened to her. :duh: