What's new

Anon vs. the Exes / Anon courage

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
I posted the following on WWP in response to a post there. I thought people here might find it of interest.

It is important for us to remain anonymous. That is why we are anonymous. If we weren't then we wouldn't exist. It's not because we are afraid of OSA that we remain anonymous. It's because it keeps everyone in check (there are no leaders) Our egos have no hope of trying to become bigger than what we are because there is no name or person that runs this. We run this as a collective and solely based on our group individual conscience.
First, let me say that not only do I agree with all your post except for the part quoted above, I think it is quite good and insightful.

But as an outside observer, I don't agree with the portion quoted above. I think it is BS. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you a liar. As an ex-Scientologist, I'm all too familiar with people who believe their own B.S. I know I certainly have.

But when Anons get upset, or perturbed, or angry about being "namefaged," it is not because there is a resulting danger that the "ego free," individually nameless nature of collective will somehow be endangered. No, it is because, oh shit, now the COS may show up on their doorstep, or leaflet their neighbors, or harass their elderly parents, or call their employer, or do a background check to find any old criminal convictions, debts, etc. All of which has happened to Exes.

And anyone who has been on the net any length time knows that quite a bit of reputational capital, and resulting ego enhancement, can accrue to a pseudonym like, say, "isupeonedDavidmiscaviage." I've seen people fight vicious online wars to protect both the reputation of their pseudonym and their ego. Yes, I'm guilty of that too.

I mention this not merely to be an asshole, but because I've seen more than one post on WWP to the effect that Exes were cowards who didn't do jack shit before the dawn of Anonymous. Posts that ignore the fact that, at least when they showed up IRL, Exes weren't anonymous and never had the option. So, yeah, the Exes had Scientologists show up on their doorsteps, leaflet their neighbors, harass their elderly parents, call their employers, and do background checks. It was unavoidable. Some, in the old days, got their asses sued.

So, please don't kid yourselves about not being afraid of OSA, and maintaining anonymity only because it serves as a check on the ego.

And you know what? There is no shame in rational fear of OSA. Ask anyone who has had their 85 year old grandmother receive anonymous, untraceable phone calls asking why their grandson is is attacking a church and interfering with religious services. The danger of that happening would sure be enough to make me wear a mask.

omnom

Patron with Honors
Uh oh.

An anon might say "inb4 shitstorm".

I would say, put on your fire-resistant undies.

omnom

Patron with Honors
Claire, I didn't intend to comment one way or another on whether I agree or not.

I just know that a prior incident with the folks on WWP left Kha Khan upset, so I guess I'm just saying brace for backlash, and I'll extend that to say: keep standing up for that which you believe.

Terril park

Sponsor
" No, it is because, oh shit, now the COS may show up on their doorstep, or leaflet their neighbors, or harass their elderly parents, or call their employer, or do a background check to find any old criminal convictions, debts, etc. All of which has happened to Exes."

This is an opportunity.

Had OSA volunteers come to me re the channel 4 program " Beginners Guide to L Ron Hubbard." I wasn't part of it, but knew of it. Wished I'd possessed a video cam.

Please record and send anything similar to the likes of Xenophon.

Nail their asses!!

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Claire, I didn't intend to comment one way or another on whether I agree or not.

I just know that a prior incident with the folks on WWP left Kha Khan upset, so I guess I'm just saying brace for backlash, and I'll extend that to say: keep standing up for that which you believe.

Sure. I getcha.

What I liked about Kha Khan's post was the reminder that OG critics aren't quite what some of the Anons think...

But yeah, what you say makes sense. :)

omnom

Patron with Honors
I agree, critics in various forms, I think, do not necessarily understand each other 100%. There was always bickering before Anon, just a lot more after :p

Doom

Lurking.
Well yes I do see this and wonder what the future holds, But so far Exes, Anons and Critics have managed to land some important body blows on the CofS.

That said this herd of cats is as it is.
But I dont think many see that going public for some is risking family, friends and in some cases freedom.

I am sure that most Exes (myself included) have respect for what the Anons are doing and what is being s
hared demonstrates the sort of collaboration I am proud to be part of.

So as a collective Anons
I think respect can be passed to where it's due (once correctly informed on the particular subject).

Its not over yet, plenty more ass to kick.

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
Uh oh.

An anon might say "inb4 shitstorm".

I would say, put on your fire-resistant undies.
Interesting. I didn't see my post as being all that strong of an attack on Anons. Not at all. Within only the exception noted, I praised to the post to which I commented. I said that rational fear of OSA was, well, rational. My post was more of a defense of Exes and the OG than anything.

JimJam

Patron with Honors
As an anonymous protester, I just wanted to point out that isupeonedDavidmiscaviage speaks for him or herself alone, not for all anonymous.

I certainly keep covered because I don't wan't OSA after me. That and I don't like how I look in pictures ;) There is the added benefit of anonymous posting that existed before chanology, that ideas should have to stand on their own merits, and not be accepted because people are friends with the poster. It also means that people can be mean, but after almost 2 years of this...I am a lot more troll-proof than I was before...and it helps me to maintain rationality and control when having arguments with others.

I don't really see any issue with the thread, but when you quote an anonymous and exptrapolate the words to all anonymous, that is something to look out for. It rarely is that simple.

And for the record, I always like Kha Khan's posts on WWP

Kha Khan

Patron Meritorious
I don't really see any issue with the thread, but when you quote an anonymous and extrapolate the words to all anonymous, that is something to look out for. It rarely is that simple.
You are absolutely right. I didn't intend to extrapolate from the one particular Anon to all Anon, and I should have made it clear that I wasn't doing that.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I said that rational fear of OSA was, well, rational.

"isupeonedDavidmiscaviage" expressed that a fear of OSA wasn't the motivating factor behind masking ones identify. This issue is addressed in the text (see below) on http://www.whyweprotest.org/en/
Why do we wear masks?

"People have asked, and continue to ask, why we wear masks. The primary reason for the masks is the protection of our identities. After all, how anonymous would we be if we exposed our faces to the world? A second reason is the protection of our lives and livelihood. Due to Scientology's Fair Game policy, we put ourselves at risk socially, politically, and financially when we speak out against this dangerous cult. This is a cult that has a well earned reputation for harassing critics and openly critical ex-scientologists at their homes and workplaces. Taking measures to protect your privacy and anonymity when confronted by an aggressively litigious cult - a cult whose mantra is "Never Defend, Always Attack!" - is a matter of common sense."

byte301

Crusader
I agree.

I think we just have to let the troll posts go. I get pissed somethimes too but there's a lot more good anons then troll anons.

ScudMuffin

Silver Meritorious Patron
isupeonedDavidmiscaviage seems to be a grade A twat/failed troll from what I've seen so far. Not really worth bothering with.

Anyone got the popcorn?