What's new

Feather to Feather; Birdsong v. Mockingbird

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
<snip>

I don't know much about Cox apples. I will hope that somewhere near me this fall I can find some.
We had five Cox's apple trees in our back yard when I was a child. They were absolutely delicious in those days although I expect they have had that quality bred out of them and it has been replaced by a strain that produces more fruit and consequently makes more money for commercial growers but has lost its wonderful flavour.

Their full name is Cox's Orange Pippin.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
:giggle:

Hey...how come it lowered my emotional Tone???
:blink:
It's not clear here what the "it" refers to...

What lowered your tone?

Was it the general nature of your experience in CoS?

Were you worse coming out than going in?

I would not invalidate this assessment of your own experience but mine was much different; I was much better coming out than I was going in.

"How come..."

I don't know but most likely because your studies happened in the midst of jackasses

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Install a real operating system? Copying and pasting is beyond his grasp. That's OK, it was beyond all of us at some stage, but to choose to remain ignorant and not even be able to post a vid here? That's tragic.

About the apple products, Granny Smiths and Cox's are my favourite.
I'll have a golden delicious...

tesseract

Patron with Horrors
About the apple products, Granny Smiths and Cox's are my favourite.

What about Red Delicious??? :wow:
Also, my granddad, applying his Frankenstein skills, created an apple tree with no less than 8 different apple breeds growing on it. :cool: In late summer, it used to look ridiculously amazing. Or amazingly ridiculous. :bwahaha:
(Sadly, no photo, and meanwhile it has been cut down. :sad: )

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Errr, spoken like a true, pure bred Brit! :)

And yes, I remember this English apples . . . marvelous.
Very pleased to have you show up on this thread RB.

I'll soon post a question to the board and and would be especially grateful for a response from "The Grand Old Man of ESMB"

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Also, my granddad, applying his Frankenstein skills, created an apple tree with no less than 8 different apple breeds growing on it. :cool: In late summer, it used to look ridiculously amazing. Or amazingly ridiculous. :bwahaha:
Red?

Fresh, crisp and cool...

Love 'em

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
One thing about hypnosis and Scientology...

I only learned that Ron was an accomplished hypnotist many years later but...

At FCDC I knew many people who had been there in the fifties when Ron ran the place

and...

Yes, I will of course not mention names or give details but, yes I did observe indications of induced trance in some, not all of FCDC's old timers

Once again...

In SOS Hubbard reserved the right to use hypnosis as a research tool but firmly forbade auditors to practice it and I did not and neither did any fellow auditors

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson

Tell your granddad that if he can get one that does that and also puts out both red and russett potatoes, I'll buy one from him.

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson

At FCDC I knew many people who had been there in the fifties when Ron ran the place

and...

Yes, I will of course not mention names or give details but, yes I did observe indications of induced trance in some, not all of FCDC's old timers

Once again...

In SOS Hubbard reserved the right to use hypnosis as a research tool but firmly forbade auditors to practice it and I did not and neither did any fellow auditors

"but, yes I did observe indications of induced trance in some, not all of FCDC's old timers"

Are you sure it wasn't due to lack of sleep and a poor diet?

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
"but, yes I did observe indications of induced trance in some, not all of FCDC's old timers"

Are you sure it wasn't due to lack of sleep and a poor diet?
Fairly well sure

I'm not absolutely certain of much of anything other than death and Texas...

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I think the 'Red Delicious' is more popular on your side of the pond. Apparently 'Gala' apples are the most popular in England, but I prefer 'Golden Delicious' (no relation).

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron

and...

Once again...

The thing is Birdy, you have to know what hypnosis is before you can validly state you never practiced it. Hubbard's descriptions of hypnosis don't count as "knowledge of the subject" on your part.

tesseract

Patron with Horrors
I think the 'Red Delicious' is more popular on your side of the pond. Apparently 'Gala' apples are the most popular in England, but I prefer 'Golden Delicious' (no relation).

Apologies, I think I was unclear anyways. Apparently, from what I've read now, Red Delicious is a very versatile breed. What I am referring to, are the very dark red and not particularly big apples on a tree in the garden of my grandparents, with a peculiar elongated shape with five bulges at the bottom (as is typical for the breed), with pulp that is very bright (sometimes outright transparent close to the core), rather crisp, and has a very mild and aromatic taste. They also can be stored quite long. Those always were my favorite apples.
I guess I'm going to collect some seeds eventually, and make a bonsai... :D

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm no expert on the subject P&B but neither am I entirely ignorant

Certainly there are degrees and variations to trance state, indeed what we usually think of as being awake is somewhat of a trance state; most of us are most of the time somnambulists prey to suggestion and stimulation but I can observe moments such as a bright Spring day in 1980 when my three and a half year old son was in the front room cheerfully playing with a toy in the puddle of light pouring through the window. I was in the next room only scarcely divided from the front room of our rowhouse home sitting in an old Barcalounger reading a book with the boobtube on and in fairly high state of awareness; I was reading with clear attention on the book but not engrossed by it for I was well aware of my son playing and his mother working in the kitchen as well as monitoring the boobtube and it was all one, not separate.

Then a commercial comes on the boobtube with the decibels jacked up. The kid stands up, walks into the middle room and stands in front of the boobtube with glassy eyes and slack jaw. "Ian,"I said. No response. Again I said "Ian." Again no response. I sat and when the commercial was over the kid turned and went back to his play.

I noted the moment with some concern...

It soon proved to be harbinger of...

The opening of the Gates of Hell...

Dotey OT

Cyclops Duck of the North - BEWARE
What is a popular apple here is the Honey Crisp. I think it's good apple, crispy, juicy, sweet with a little tang. Of course, results may vary. I used to be a golden delicious fan, but ran into too many that had the mealy texture, I just gave up on it.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
What is a popular apple here is the Honey Crisp. I think it's good apple, crispy, juicy, sweet with a little tang. Of course, results may vary. I used to be a golden delicious fan, but ran into too many that had the mealy texture, I just gave up on it.
Cooooooooool...

Never heard of The Honey Crisp.

Where is it?