What's new

Flagdown 2014: media coverage, etc

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Flag Down drama — Mark Bunker kicked out by conference organizer

Tony Ortega: Flag Down drama — Mark Bunker kicked out by conference organizer
http://tonyortega.org/2014/05/05/flag-down-drama-mark-bunker-kicked-out-by-conference-organizer/

Excerpt:
We just heard from longtime Scientology critic Mark Bunker, who has just been summarily ejected from the Flag Down 2014 conference in Clearwater by organizer Laura Flynn.

“I just got kicked out and so did Tom Smith,” Bunker told us by telephone.

Leading up to the days of the conference, Flynn had been saying at the WWP forum that she didn’t want Bunker at the conference because she said it might cause the conference trouble. Bunker has an existing permanent injunction against him taken out by Scientology because of protests that happened more than a decade ago. But that injunction requires him to stay away from Scientology buildings and Scientologists, not critics at a conference.

Bunker tells us he arrived at the conference with local radio host Tom Smith, who was also kicked out by Flynn.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
How did Mark Bunker get a permanent injunction ? Do you know Sallydannce? :omg:
Very long and old story stemming from his participation in the Lisa McPherson Trust (LMT) -- what, 10 years ago? (Time flies.) I don't have time to hunt for links now. Just Google Mark Bunker injunction Lisa McPherson Trust.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Comments from the Bunker:
http://tonyortega.org/2014/05/05/flag-down-drama-mark-bunker-kicked-out-by-conference-organizer/

HartleyPatterson • an hour ago

The injunction from over a decade ago was permanent and IIRC has a catchall "and associates" in it, which the cult can use to have a go at anyone since we are all "associated" with Mark Bunker. It's a judgement call as to how far to bend to avoid giving the cult an excuse to shut the event down.

Django • an hour ago

I think it's a shame that WBM can't attend a conference that purports to be a gathering of most or all major Scientology critics. Mark was a major factor in getting me into this thing, and I think he's been a major thorn in the cult's side for a very long time, and was an important early influence on the Anonymous movement. And yeah, Amax has a beef with him, and I can't comment on that 'cause it's something far more complicated than a far-off observer such as myself can handle.

That said, the appearance of this "process server" pretty much confirms Amax's concerns about the Injunction. Sad, but the right way to go. FD is too important to risk on legal bullshit or trying to spare the feelings of one critic.

Mark, if you're reading: Don't let it get you down, or deter you from the fight. There'll be other days.

NOLAGirl • an hour ago

So lets examine this: Scientology loves the part of the Constitution that says you're free to practice any religion you want. The part that says you're free to speak, and free to assemble peacefully...not so much.

Leland

Crusader
Very long and old story stemming from his participation in the Lisa McPherson Trust (LMT) -- what, 10 years ago? (Time flies.) I don't have time to hunt for links now. Just Google Mark Bunker injunction Lisa McPherson Trust.

Thanks CommunicatorIC......yea, I did read about that.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
How did Mark Bunker get a permanent injunction ? Do you know Sallydannce? :omg:

RICHARD W HOWD Jr, et al vs. ROBERT S MINTON Jr, et al

Case No: 99-007430-CI
Case Type: INJUNCTION - CIRCUIT
Date Filed: 11/04/1999
Judicial Officer: DEMERS, DAVID A
UNIFORM CASE NUMBER: 521999CA007430XXCICI

Plaintiffs: CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY & RICHARD W, HOWD JR.

Defendants: LISA MCPHERSON TRUST INC, TORY BEZAZIAN, JEFF JACOBSON, ROBERT S. MINTON, PETER ALEXANDER, STACY BROOKS,
PETER ALEXANDERE, PATRICIA GREENWAY, MARK BUNKER, JESSE PRINCE, GRADY WARD.

https://public.co.pinellas.fl.us/login/loginx.jsp (access to docket)

[video=youtube;J_dhOCvxnMs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_dhOCvxnMs[/video] (1 of 13 videos)

On January 3, 2014, Mark Bunker filed an appeal to the injunction against him.