What's new

George Washington University Dean Peter Konwerski celebrates Scientology Founder

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
George Washington University Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski celebrates Scientology Founder L. Ron Hubbard.

HT - Tony Ortega: http://tonyortega.org/2015/02/01/ab...on-tv-today-before-and-during-the-super-bowl/

https://twitter.com/GWPeterK/status/562060736311345153

attachment.php

https://twitter.com/GWPeterK/status/562061054772281345

attachment.php

Attachments

• Konwerski-001.PNG
    Konwerski-001.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Konwerski-002.PNG
    Konwerski-002.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Screen caps added to OP. I don't know what happened the first time. Usually images cross-post from WWP (although not vice versa).

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
George Washington University Dean Proud That Scientology Founder Was a Grad

by Roger Friedman - February 1, 2015 11:50 pm

Did educator Peter Konwerski out himself tonight as a Scientologist? The dean of student affairs at George Washington University took to Twitter to announce how proud he is that L. Ron Hubbard, the crazy science fiction writer who invented the dangerous cult, was a graduate of the school. He even gave a link to the cult’s website.

This wasn’t the first time Konwerski showed his cards, so to speak. In 2013 he Tweeted

In actuality, Hubbard is not an alumnus; he dropped out. But if I had a kid at GW (and I was once one myself) I’d be seriously alarmed. Konwerski would be better off running the Miscavige Clinic for the Criminally Insane on “General Hospital.”

Konwerski’s Tweet was in response to a $4.5 million ad Scientology took during the Super Bowl. They are obviously spending like crazy on advertising and public relations, knowing that Alex Gibney’s documentary “Going Clear” will air in March on HBO. The cult leaders are panicked. Konwerski, meantime, will have a lot of explaining to do this morning. There are plenty of responses to his enthusiastic Tweet, and none of them are positive.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/02/0...ean-proud-that-scientology-founder-was-a-grad

JustSheila

Crusader
Kowerski must be the dumbest Dean of all time.

Here he is, working at the University, and doesn't even realise Hubbard never even graduated? That as a student, he was a failure? But he's PROUD of him for this?

So this is a Dean that accepts heresay as fact, that considers success and failure one and the same, that considers criminality and a lack of ability to retain or critique information are fine examples of characteristics in students. I feel sorry for the kids in that school - no investigation of facts, no concept of logic, all heresay is real. Fantasy is real. What a backwards education Kowerski is touting.

What a dingaling. :duh:

Dingaling.png

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Kowerski must be the dumbest Dean of all time. Here he is, working at the University, and doesn't even realise Hubbard never even graduated? That as a student, he was a failure? But he's PROUD of him for this?

So this is a Dean that accepts heresay as fact, that considers success and failure one and the same, that considers criminality and a lack of ability to retain or critique information are fine examples of characteristics in students. I feel sorry for the kids in that school - no investigation of facts, no concept of logic, all heresay is real. Fantasy is real. What a backwards education Kowerski is touting. What a dingaling. :duh:

His religious background may have been influenced his father, but it doesn't justify his stupidity:

"He was a 1956 graduate of Shelton High School and received his BA from Mary Immaculate Seminary and College (Vincentian Fathers), Northampton, PA and a Master’s in Education and a Master’s in Religious Education from Fairfield University. Paul was one of the first laymen in the country to receive this degree in religious education."

http://www.riverviewfh.com/obituary.php?w=384

He's married to Leah Rosen: https://www.facebook.com/leah.rosen.142

https://twitter.com/lrosen23

He likes faith-based colleges: https://twitter.com/GWPeterK

Background

As Dean of Student Affairs, Dr. Konwerski is the chief student affairs officer for GW, managing a diverse staff of education professionals responsible for academic success; student academic engagement; parent engagement; and wellness, education, and prevention for GW undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.

In addition to his administrative work, Dr. Konwerski holds academic appointments in the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, and the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Konwerski earned his Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Masters degree in Higher Education Administration, and Doctorate in Education and Human Development from GW.

Dr. Konwerski previously served as Senior Associate Vice President and Dean of Students, Associate Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, Executive Director for Administrative Partnerships, Executive Director of the Marvin Center and Student Activities Center, and founding Director of the Office of Community Service.

There is some cognitive dissonance going on here!
He is a scientologist
or he has all that education - in education, human sciences, etc, and.....the mind cannot fathom it.

JustSheila

Crusader
His religious background may have been influenced his father, but it doesn't justify his stupidity

Generally speaking, private universities often offer high educational standards. Perhaps Peter just wanted to be completely different from his father and join a science fiction cult to prove that one doesn't need to use brains or analytical thinking to be a Dean?

Scientology aside - what academic would ever publicly tweet a comment bragging about a laughingstock student who was a dismal failure and dropout from its classes and program? What academic would not even verify completely accessible records within his workplace before making such a dumb public comment?

I'd expect that sort of irresponsible bragging of unconfirmed rumours from a high school wannabe Dallas cheerleader, maybe, but a DEAN?

Such a terrible reflection on the university. I was expecting George Washington U would be ranked in the bottom ten in the USA, but was surprised to see it in the upper 30%. I expect with Dean Peter Konwerski's public display of ignorance, it will probably drop down quite a few notches in reputation. It really gives the impression the school just doesn't give a shit whether students study hard, graduate or not.

I've had great teachers and a good education outside of Scientology and this sort of idiocy from a representative of a higher institute of learning reflects very poorly on George Washington University's standards, which are apparently exceptionally low.

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
Perhaps George Washington University Dean Peter Konwerski will endorse the Hubbard College of Admiration?

Better yet, perhaps George Washington University and the Hubbard College of Admiration can merge.

The L. Ron Hubbard and George Washington University of Admiration, anyone?

FIFY... This was what I was reading when I clicked "LOL", I swear it. :p :blush: :dieslaughing:

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Background

As Dean of Student Affairs, Dr. Konwerski is the chief student affairs officer for GW, managing a diverse staff of education professionals responsible for academic success; student academic engagement; parent engagement; and wellness, education, and prevention for GW undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.

In addition to his administrative work, Dr. Konwerski holds academic appointments in the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, and the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Konwerski earned his Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Masters degree in Higher Education Administration, and Doctorate in Education and Human Development from GW.

Dr. Konwerski previously served as Senior Associate Vice President and Dean of Students, Associate Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, Executive Director for Administrative Partnerships, Executive Director of the Marvin Center and Student Activities Center, and founding Director of the Office of Community Service.

There is some cognitive dissonance going on here!
He is a scientologist
or he has all that education - in education, human sciences, etc, and.....the mind cannot fathom it.

There's an easy explanation for that. The requirements to get into a Ph.D. program in Education are laughable. On our US standardized test scores for graduate education (GRE), education department scores consistently rank near the bottom. Most teachers are pretty dedicated, so the saying "if you can't do, teach" is really not true, but what is true is "if you can't do, consider Educational Administration".

My mother was a schoolteacher for many years. She despised the climbers who got out of the classroom as quickly as possible, then went on to get a Ph.D. so they could tell real teachers what to do. One group of them in her county conducted a group thesis for some diploma mill. :duh:

But even in the non-dilpoma mill departments, the student pool are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

There is a saying among professionals with kids who come into contact with Dr. So and So, principal of Such and Such school, or superintendent of Such and Such School District, one I first heard from a colleague years ago and stored away for future use - a Ph.D. in education and $3.50 will get you a small Starbucks in my world.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Generally speaking, private universities often offer high educational standards. Perhaps Peter just wanted to be completely different from his father and join a science fiction cult to prove that one doesn't need to use brains or analytical thinking to be a Dean?

Scientology aside - what academic would ever publicly tweet a comment bragging about a laughingstock student who was a dismal failure and dropout from its classes and program? What academic would not even verify completely accessible records within his workplace before making such a dumb public comment?

I'd expect that sort of irresponsible bragging of unconfirmed rumours from a high school wannabe Dallas cheerleader, maybe, but a DEAN?

Such a terrible reflection on the university. I was expecting George Washington U would be ranked in the bottom ten in the USA, but was surprised to see it in the upper 30%. I expect with Dean Peter Konwerski's public display of ignorance, it will probably drop down quite a few notches in reputation. It really gives the impression the school just doesn't give a shit whether students study hard, graduate or not.

I've had great teachers and a good education outside of Scientology and this sort of idiocy from a representative of a higher institute of learning reflects very poorly on George Washington University's standards, which are apparently exceptionally low.

He's Dean of Student Affairs, not an academic dean. His major responsibilities are reviewing surveys of how well the students like the gym facilities and the cafeteria menu.