What's new

Gone But Not Forgotten

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
This story covers my one year involvement with scientology.

In the late 1970's, when I was in my late 20's, I applied for a job at a store, the boss hired me on the spot, I gave notice at my current job, and showed up for work two weeks later. On my first day at the job he said, "remember that communications course I wanted you to take?" Actually I did "not" remember him mentioning it during the interview, but he sounded so sure of himself, and I didn't want to challenge it, especially on my first day. Perhaps he did mention it, perhaps not, but I went along with it, despite feeling manipulated. Even if he did mention it though, he left out the part about the expected indoctrination to dianetics and scientology. Either way, his first official act towards me, was to engage in deception, and he had it planned all along. Day one morning, strike one.

After my first day on the job, I went to the mission to take the so-called communications course. It was weird, there were people staring at each other in a trance (TR0). I put up with it, because it was expected of me. I assumed it was only a matter of time, that I'd finish the course, and get on with my new job. Let me clue you in on something; you can "assume" the best of whatever you want. But if it has anything to do with scientology, you're screwed, anything that goes wrong will be your fault, and they'll have the "tech" to prove it. Day one evening, strike two.

Listed above are two actions on the first day. Both were unacceptable. I should ended it right then, and not be worried about the embarrassment with my family and friends. Because if that's what happens on day one, it will most certainly go downhill from there. Looking back on it, I can only imagine the mind-screwing that he would have flung my way, if I had "backed out" at that point. Although, it would have been better to just cut the losses.

Where scn is involved, the best thing to do is to get out as early as possible; at the first mention of scn in a conversation, the first visit, hour, day, week. Just get out, get your family out, the sooner the better, the later the worse, and every minute counts! Because the longer anyone is in contact with scn, the less they'll be like themselves forevermore. If you procrastinate, it will get increasing worse, beyond the point of no return.

On the second day at my new job, and every day thereafter, he talked about scn, nonstop for hours. After "work" on some evenings, I would attend the course. I had never heard of dyn or scn before this time. He rambled on endlessly about it, with lots of inside scoop. He said he was an FSM, which meant he'd receive 10% of anything I spent. To me this sounded more like marketing, and less like a supposed church. His ulterior motive towards me was beginning to show through. Obviously he intended to fool numerous people like this into the cult. He said he intended to pay off his "freeloader" debt, so he could get back "on lines" and get "keyed out" with more auditing. Day two, more clues.

Once during his ranting, he mentioned that scn would never "pass" me on my first "communications" class, until I'd signed up for a subsequent class. I said, "that sucks". First of all, I didn't even want to take a 2nd class, but at that point, I vowed "never" to sign up for a future class until they passed me on the previous one. The stage was set for a Mexican standoff. He didn't mean to, but advising me about this was a favor, because that's when I dug in my heels. I found out later; it's scn policy/practice to not pass unless there's another course that's prepaid. I think this is an Achilles Heel. Of course he didn't mention any of this until I'd already quit my old job, started working at his store, and began the scn course.

I had previously told him that I grew up Christian. Early on he said people of all faiths were compatible with scn, and that maintaining both affiliations was common. I had never heard of such a thing, but he made it sound sound so every-day. Stupidly, I never sought an opinion about this from the Christian perspective. He was just so authoritative and believable, and I was so gullible. But within a couple of weeks he ripped into me when I told him that I had attended a service at my church. I was shocked by his reaction. In this case there was no doubt -- he had intentionally lied about the dual-religion bunk. Yet when I called him on it, he never batted an eye. After such a flagrant lie, I should have walked out, but where would I go, I had already quit my previous job. How much more proof did I need that he was pathological, and that scn was a con. If this sounds laughable to you, I can understand why. But seriously, I had never heard of a "cult" before. And I had never dealt with a person, or an organization that was so deceitful. It was amazing that the world was not exposing it.

My church got caught flat footed just like I did. When I approached them, they didn't know how to deal with it, simply saying, "don't pay any attention to that scn stuff". Looking back, this was analogous the Mafia (with all of their thugs and covert resources) vs a band of innocent Boy Scouts. I wished I had been warned "ahead" of time by my church. That is the key I think, for churches, to proactively warn people "ahead" of time about cults, and scn in particular. But if a church tried to circumvent parishioners from being blindsided by con artists -- I can only imagine what a mind-screw scn would inflict on them, how hurt poor old scn would pretend to be, and how many private investigators (PI's) they would unleash on the church (if they haven't already). I never voiced any of this to my church afterwords, because I felt so stupid for going along with it. Not to mention that scn counted on my silence, assisted by their threats, with me being too embarrassed to discuss it. I wonder how many parishioners get blind-sided and mind-screwed each day by scn, and never admit it to their church for these reasons.

I was used to dealing with people who were truthful. However, scn specializes in deception. This assertion is backed up by dozens of actual stories from the Ex Scientologist Message Board (ESMB at forum.exscn.net). At that web site you so often hear about scn's lies, which are fine, because as far as they're concerned they were just being "ethical".

Believe it or not, scn conveniently has a different definition of "ethical" than everybody else. To scn it means "the greatest good for their greatest number", as long as they benefit. Get it? When they lie, they're being ethical. Any issues you may have with that are means you misunderstand the word "ethical". Welcome to scn logic.

The guy who "reg'd" me into scn, and managed the store that I worked at, never paid me anything for the month I spent there. When I quit the store he started yelling, and threatened to put a "tattoo on my forehead". But he quieted down within a few minutes, and I never saw him again.

My wife told everyone that scn was the reason for our divorce. Actually our marriage was on the rocks "before" we ever exchanged vows. However, my exposure to scn did hasten the inevitable. Once we separated I stopped going to our church each week.

When our marriage ended, I joined scn staff, and I will "never" know why I did that. Early on a staff member asked me whether or not I thought my FSM should continue receiving credit for my purchases. I told him I thought he stunk to try and steal a "customer" away from an FSM, and it was even more bizarre at a "church". Any consideration of me ever being an FSM ended during that conversation. But none of it mattered anyway, because within a couple of months I wanted out of scn altogether. I never received a pass from the communications class, just as I'd been advised I wouldn't, because I refused to prepay for a future course, and by God this was one battle I was going to win.

When I went to leave staff, their threats worked, which "inspired" me leave cleanly. In time I realized that not being able to leave without a hassle, was yet another mind-screw. For example, I allowed myself to get talked into agreeing to a handful of auditing hours, in order to route off staff. Now that's what I call a cult -- paying to leave. How stupid was that? Of course even after I finally left, I dutifully paid for those hours.

Eventually I realized that they were jerking my chain, regarding the routing off staff process. By their design, this would drag on forever, as they were holding out for the chance that they might be able to change my mind. When I got tired of the mind-screwing I said I thought they were dragging it on intentionally, and in bad faith. Which they were of course. Someone replied, "nobody's holding you here". At that point I immediately walked out, never to return. Of course I could have done that all along, and looking back I realize I should have. The fact is, there's no way you can "cleanly" route off of staff, because they're a cult. But there I was, free at last, almost.

After leaving staff (blowing actually) they continually sent me mail and phoned me up. I firmly and repeatedly asked them to stop contacting me, but it was like talking to a wall. I soon realized that this would go on forever too. Each time I received a letter, I stuffed as much junk as would fit, into one of the prepaid envelopes they had provided, so that it would cost them as much money as possible. On the outside of each envelope I wrote, "I love XYZ" (where XYZ = shrinks, media, cia, government, take your pick, anybody they hate, and the list is long). The first thing that I would say to any scn who phoned me is, "I love XYZ". Following that, I was always apologetic, because I really would have preferred not to have to do this, but they just wouldn't leave me alone. One day the ethics officer called me, and as always, I immediately said, "I love XYZ". He quickly ended that call. Sometime later I received a notice in the mail, stating that I'd been declared Potential Trouble Source (PTS).

I never heard from them again, no letters, no magazines, no phone calls, nothing. And none of the "fair game" harassment that I'd heard so much about. I just wanted to get on with my life, to put the scn fiasco behind me. During the next 30 years I only brought it up with 2 or 3 people, and they were mum. There were other people who knew about my involvement with it though, and they knew I was ashamed of it. So in their case, the topic of discussion just never came up.

In the relatively short amount of time I spent with scn, I was continually amazed to learn, how much mind-screwing they did, at every opportunity. The longer I hung around, the more obvious the mind-screwing became, but the more captivating it was, they had a grip on me that I can't explain further. But the only way to make mind-screwing cease, was to just get out -- to blow. I'd heard that term whispered before, and now I knew what they meant, "blow baby, blow". In other words, blow away from scn.

Upon "coming out" I had mixed emotions on how to deal with it in the world. I chose the path of least resistance, to put it behind me, rather than rabble rouse and risk being fair gamed.

So there I was, I had finally eradicated scn from my life, stopped all the arrogant phone calls, the barrage of letters, and disposed of the books. I no longer had to listen to the lies. I was recovering. With deep repetitive sighs of relief. Silence at last. And life was good again.

But then. But then. One more letter showed up at the end of the year; it was a W2 form. All US employers, including scn, are required to provide this form to each employee, and a copy is also sent to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), showing the (sparse) earnings scn paid any employee that year. Frankly, I'd forgotten that I even filled out this form when I joined staff, and provided them with my personal information. But upon receipt of the W2, I realized that I'd be branded forever as a dupe in the IRS database, with information that's accessible to federal agencies, and I can only imagine who else. And that's the good news. The bad news is that scn has my social security number (SSN) and birth date -- which is all the information fair gamers and PI's need to track me, forever. They would even have the SSN for all non-staff public donors, for that year-end tax form.

Know this; if you "ever" have anything to do with scn, whatsoever, it will haunt you for the rest of your life.

During my time with scn, I am amazed that I wrote up my overts and withholds (O/W's), and that I actually signed my name to them, for inclusion into my case folder. Looking back I can see how stupid that was. Now did you get that? Hello? I wrote up my OW's, my sins against scn, bad thoughts, any civil or moral laws that I may have ever violated. All in my own handwriting, I signed my name, and I handed them to an organization which I knew to be outright liars, and fair gamers. This information, according to MANY, is then used against former church members by fair gaming PI's. How stupid could I have been, but to provide them with ammunition to use against me, forever? Now that's what you call a cult. And I trusted their integrity.

You can't make much of an impact on something this big by yourself. The good news is, today, in early 2009, we're not alone; we have the Internet, YouTube, Google, ESMB, Ex-scn-kids, Xenu.net, ClamBake, Anonymous, attorney Graham Berry. Three Internet videos that I appreciate feature; Patty Pieniadz, Jason Beghe and Frank Oliver. There are many more. At first, the numerous Anonymous videos on YouTube annoyed me, but now I understand that these people wearing masks, and with disguised voices are justifiably concerned that they'll be harassed by a hoard of PI's. The orgs absolutely hate being picketed by Anonymous, and this is SCN'S MOST SERIOUS ACHILLES HEEL.

There are people with many years of experience dealing the scn mind-screwing, and many of them will "discuss" it using these web sites. But back in the late 1970's I was pretty much alone, just the way scn wanted me.

I have recently heard it said that scn never foresaw the Internet -- and it will bring them down. I'm concerned about what's going to replace it, what will become of all those empty buildings they keep buying, in this tough economy, where so many people need jobs, and money.

All of my life I've been embarrassed about scn, I wanted to keep it a secret. But Dude, there's no way that's going to happen once the jeanie's out of the bottle. Because people talk. If you ever get involved with scn, it will rear it's head at you all of your life. You can never hide it. Especially from anyone who's ever been involved with scn. Because sooner or later you'll use some scn jargon, a phrase, or you'll start whining about newspapers, drug companies, or one of the many industries that scn hates. And the person you said it to will be onto you, your cover will be blown.

For me, the whole scn fiasco was over within a year, but the effect lives on for a lifetime. I have always considered myself to be a born skeptic (or so I thought), but then along came scn, and now the Internet. Upon reading some of the many personal accounts at ESMB I am absolutely shocked. Because I thought I put up with a lot of mind-screwing! I was only involved with scn for one year, and I've been out for 30 years. Yet I just recently realized that I got off relatively easy. There are countless stories of former scn staff at ESMB, with a common theme of them believing scn's LIES. Some felt they wasted much of their lives with the organization, some thought the "tech" was flaky, and some were at odds with both; the organization and the tech.

But there's one common denominator -- the longer the people have been involved with scn -- the more they talk about the LIES. Lies about "tech" -- and lies about the "organization".

Nonetheless, even with my minimal exposure to scn, I have always considered scn to be the stupidest thing I've ever gotten sucked into, and the biggest mind-screw.

My advice:
1) if you are CONSIDERING scn, research it, AHEAD of time on the Internet, and don't tell them.
2) if you are NOT involved with scn, keep out, walk away, don't give them your name, be abrupt.
3) if you are CURRENTLY involved with scn, blow baby, blow.
4) remember scientology always lies, as agreed upon by so many former members.
5) there are numerous scn front groups, so beware of who you deal with.

In 2005 I started being harassed; rigorously, daily, it's ugly, and life changing, I never dreamed of such massive resources being unleashed on me. For me, a number of different events occurred in 2005. I have a theory who started it, but no "proof". I don't think any of these 2005 events were scn related. But when I think of harassment I think of scn, the harassment pros. The reason I showed up at ESMB in early 2009 is I can't help but think, that although scn may "not" have initiated my harassment, that it's the same people doing the harassing, using the same policies. One day I'll discuss the numerous harassment techniques I've encountered.

Epilogue: In spite of everything, I've always maintained my faith in Christianity. On a couple of occasions over the last 30 years I returned to church, but my follow-through always subsided within a month or so. But in 2005 I began attending church again, and that's still happening in early 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:

Human Again

Silver Meritorious Patron
Wow Cornpie, what a weird introduction to Scientology. I am glad you managed to get out quickly. Your "employer" (Clearly I use the term loosely) was extreme but typical , if that makes sense. Scio -centric but perhapsmore obvious about it that others.

Welcome to the board.

Hatshepsut

Crusader
During his ranting, he mentioned scn would never "pass" me on my first "communications" class, until I'd signed up for a subsequent class. I said, "that sucks, and I vowed never to sign up for another class until they passed me of the first one." I found out later, that this is scn policy, and by the way, and I have always considered that policy to be a serious scn Achilles Heel. Of course he didn't mention this until I'd already quit my old job, started working there, and started the course. More deception.

I never heard or that policy. Can that be true?

In the late 70's, in my late 20's, I applied for a job at a store, the boss hired me on the spot, I gave notice at my current job, and showed up for work two weeks later. The first day he said, "remember that communications course I wanted you to take?" I think he did mention it briefly during the interview, but he left out where I'd be taking it, or that it would involve an indoctrination to dianetics and scientology. He had deceived me, and I wasn't wise enough to check the class out first. That was lesson number one.

I went to the mission he directed me to, and I began the night-time communications course, which was weird, there were people staring at each other, but I put up with it, because it was expected of me, I figured I'd finish it, and get on with my new job.

During the daytime he preached scn nonstop, for hours each day, then after "work" on some nights, I'd attend the course. I had never heard of dyn or scn before. He rambled on endlessly with lots of inside scoop, said he was an FSM (meaning he'd get 10% of what I spent), that he intended to pay off his freeloader debt, so he could get back "on lines" and get more auditing.

During his ranting, he mentioned scn would never "pass" me on my first "communications" class, until I'd signed up for a subsequent class. I said, "that sucks, and I vowed never to sign up for another class until they passed me of the first one." I found out later, that this is scn policy, and by the way, and I have always considered that policy to be a serious scn Achilles Heel. Of course he didn't mention this until I'd already quit my old job, started working there, and started the course. More deception.

Note that I grew up Christian. Early on he said I could be any religion I wanted, and still be a scn. I never got an opinion ahead of time from the Christian point of view, duh! But a week or two later he ripped into me when I told him I attended church that week. Obviously he had intentionally lied about the dual-religion thing. And I got duped. To most people this would be strike three, and I really don't know how much more proof I needed that this whole thing was a con.

My church got caught flat footed too. When I approached them, they didn't know how to deal with it, simply saying, "don't pay any attention to that scn stuff". But looking back, this was like David vs Goliath. I "sincerely" wished I had been warned ahead of time by my church. But I never voiced it afterwards, because I felt so stupid for going along with it.

My wife told everybody scn was the reason for our divorce. I say our marriage was on the rocks "before" we ever made our vows.

Some time later, I joined staff, I'll never know why. Within a couple months I wanted out. I never did pass the communications class. The guy who "reg'd" me never paid me a penny for the month I spent at his business. And the whole scn fiasco was over within a year. Upon reading some of the accounts on the Ex-scientoligist message board, I now realize that I got off relatively easy. Nonetheless, even with my minimal exposure to scn, I still shake my head from time to time. And I have always considered scn to be the most stupid thing I've ever gotten sucked into, and the biggest head-screw imaginable.

When I tried to leave staff, their threats worked, making me want to leave "cleanly", on a friendly basis. I even took a handful of auditing hours, some sort of routing off staff auditing, which I paid for later. I'm amazed that I wrote up my overts and withholds, and signed my name to them, for inclusion into my ethics folder. Looking back I can see how amazingly stupid that was -- but you know I wanted to route off staff cleanly and everything. I soon realized that they were jerking my chain, and the routing off staff process would drag on forever. Literally forever. Scn was just one head screw after another. One day, within a month or so, I walked out and never returned.

After that I continually received mail and phone calls from them. I firmly asked them to stop, but I soon realized that this would go on forever too. So I stuffed each letter back into the prepaid envelope, and wrote on the envelope, "I love XYZ" (shrinks, media, cia, government, take your pick, anybody they hate). When somebody would call the first thing I'd say is, "I love XYZ". One day an ethics officer called and I said, "I love XYZ". Sometime later I received a notice that I'd been declared PTS.

I never heard from them again, no letters, no magazines, no phone calls, nothing. And none of the "fair game" harassment that I'd heard so much about. After that I tried to put it behind me, for 30 some years I only mentioned it to 2 or 3 people.

Considering the relatively short amount of time I spent with scientology, I was shocked at how much head-screwing nonsense I learned. The longer I hung around, the more crap I'd find out. And the only to make it end, was to just get out.

I always considered myself a Christian. And over the years, I tried going back to church, during two or three time-frames, yet it always blew over within a month or so. But about 2005 I began attending church again. And this time it stuck, and now I attend church weekly.

Also about 2005 I started being harassed; rigorously, daily, it's ugly, and life changing, with extreme massive resources. A number of things happened to me in 2005, and I can't prove exactly who's harassing me, or what I might have done to initiate it. None of these 2005 events were scn related. But when I think of harassment I think of scn, the harassment pros. The reason I showed up at EXSCN is I can't help but think, that although scn may not have initiated the harassment, that there's a good chance it's the same people doing the harassing, using the same policies. Perhaps one day I'll discuss the numerous harassment techniques I've encountered.

Call me a cynic, but I love satan.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Welcome Cornpie!

Isn't Scientology the weirdest thing in the entire frickking world?

I'm so glad that it is the butt of so many jokes and derision by so many professional comedians.

I have a special affinity for you because of your name. I live in the middle of a huge cornfield. And I'm extremely interested in a good recipe for cornpie.

Do you have one?

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome CornPie,

I enjoyed your story. Glad that you didn't put up with any BS. I know the feeling about writing up your O/W's -- I've wondered many times how I could get my hands on my pc folder and burn it.

I hope the harassment thing is better. If you ever feel like writing it up, I think you'd get some good insights from people who've been through it before.

Glad you're here ! :welcome:

-TL

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome to ESMB!! And thanks for your story.

Fairgame is used against those actively criticizing Scientology. Or those they want to shut up. It may have been a coincidence.:confused2:

I'm happy to hear you weren't involved very long. You sound like you figured the bullshit out early on. Well done!

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
...Fairgame is used against those actively criticizing Scientology. Or those they want to shut up. It may have been a coincidence...

I understand, in 2 or 3 places on this message board, I've heard, they just want you to shut up, and they'll stop. Plus Patty Pieniadz mentioned it a couple of times in her 1 hour 40 minute speech on the Internet.

I've been a corporate whistle blower on the internet for years. My guess is the same people, using the same methods, are doing the harassment. And their resources are endless. After 3+ years, I'm getting tired of it, but not tired enough to shut up, yet. Like I said, in my original post though, it's best not to do anything "alone". Still though, I'm still not certain that's the reason for the harassment.

Wisened One

Crusader
Wow what a story, Cornpie, glad you got out, tho!

Yeah wasn't their routing off a dandy? The whole time you feel like you're not even fit to walk on this earth!
( because you are 'ditching' the 'highest, most ethical job on the Planet') Jeeez. :eyeroll: WhatEVER! :giggle:

And wow, what a deceptive employer ya had, there, I take it ya left there once ya left scn?

Hatshepsut

Crusader
I am posting this here, because after a while, I'm prohibited from making changes to my initial post.

Hell, I edit and re-edit and re-edit. I think most dont bother to reply to my post for a while cause it'll probably be changed again before their reply gets tacked on. . Ah one of the advantages of being a woman is to be able to change one's mind again and again and again. :eyeroll:

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Cornpie,

I sure could relate -- you are so right; once you are a Scientologist you are branded as a dupe. I was never staff but I was a loyal public for 15 years or so. Don't worry, after a while you are able to let go of the jargon, and eventually it's not in your brain and you stop identifying yourself with it. Writing your story helps that a lot actually, so I'm glad you're doing it.

Good luck!
-TL

Lynn Fountain Campbell

Silver Meritorious Patron
Welcome, Cornpie.

About the harassment, one of the things they're good at is investigating situations in your life that are potential sources of conflict. If you've managed to cool them down, they'll manage to heat them up again, so that it looks like the harassment is coming from somewhere other than them.

But make no mistake. It's them. They're the "third party" promoting the conflict and making sure it stays alive, while making it impossible to prove they have anything to do with it.

But don't worry. You don't have to prove it to us. Many of us have been there, and we recognize their heavy-handed elephant tracks. They don't know anything about being subtle. Hubbard teaches his minions to "impinge."

Lynn