What's new

Goodbye and go in Peace

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
This is so personal I may regret posting this yet I feel a need to. It's the only way I can say goodbye in a more public manner than just my own thoughts, and there are people here who may understand.
---------------------------

The funeral for my ex husband and father of three children is starting to happen about now, and I can think of nothing to do except write. I have a candle burning to perhaps help light his path to some peace and comfort for goodness knows he had little enough in this life. I mean the true peace of knowing who you are and loving yourself for it. Not an easy thing to achieve for any of us and his only solace was that maybe one day … maybe … he could achieve the goals of the belief system he followed most of his life, the one that let him down so badly. He had nowhere else to turn.

I can feel the grief of my children like thunder and rain in my mind. The pendulum swings so far in one direction that damage, imperfections and reality are banished to the shadows as pronouncements of his almost sainthood light the day. Not unusual I know but very difficult for the one who knew him best and suffered the most.

My children have lost their father, one of the hardest things to ever face. My heart is broken for them and I have cried so much for their tender young adult hearts, yet I cannot stand by their side today. I think the hypocrisy would literally kill me. I hope that one day they can come to see me as a person, with compassion and maturity, and not as the mother who failed them, let them down because she couldn't put aside her own feelings to be there just for them. Not this time, I did it too often and I would do so in this instance at my own peril.

I cannot ask them to understand things they know nothing about, or have just a shadow glimpse that children have and is too daunting to face. It is not time for explanations. They will celebrate the good of the man, their father, and that is as it should be. I can only hope that sometime in the future the pendulum swings back from it's extreme to a more balanced view. Only time can do that, I know.

I wish him well on his journey. For a short time, all those years ago, we were as one … with the glorious goals of planetary salvage and a happy nuclear family to light our path in this world. I cry for the falseness of that dream and all it cost us over the three and a half decades we knew each other. If we are all connected, and part of a one-ness, then his experiences, and mine, can perhaps add an atom of understanding to humanity's need for love.

Fly high Ross, you are free.

:rose:

Last edited:

Free Being Me

Crusader
PIC-3-plus-phrase-700x441.jpg

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die. ~ Thomas Campbell, "Hallowed Ground"

Your children will feel your love & comfort across the miles.... do not doubt the love that you both gave your children will continue to influence them. One day they will be in your arms again.

Love and Peace today & everyday....

Sindy

Crusader
Sue,

This is so beautifully written. You have an amazing heart.

I am sorry for your loss and for your children's loss and I wrap a huge, comforting hug around you. You are loved and I understand what you wrote. Having integrity is not always easy. Thank you for having it anyway.

condolences.jpg

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Sue,

This is so beautifully written. You have an amazing heart.

I am sorry for your loss and for your children's loss and I wrap a huge, comforting hug around you. You are loved and I understand what you wrote. Having integrity is not always easy. Thank you for having it anyway.

condolences.jpg

Thankyou Sindy. Sometimes you are between a rock and a hard place. Although I feel my heart may shatter if I move a little too fast ... I have to go with integrity. Thankyou for your understanding.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Free to shine,

My Heart Weeps for you, Ross and the children.

I'm going to share something with you openly on this Board I would never have without your courage, honesty, compassion and humanity.

My 97 year old father passed on not that long ago. None of his children attended his funeral. We were not welcomed in his life, nor at the funeral.

We tried, Gawd did we ever try for over 50 years, to "Make Our Peace" with him.

But, my father "shunned" and rebuked his children, convinced of the "Holiness" of his fundamentalist, born again, charismatic, speaking in tongues "Christian" beliefs and the certitude that his 4 children, 12 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren were all going to "Hell For Eternity" because they would not become followers of the "true faith" or members of the one, and only, "right Church".

Personally, I think we are all in some inexplicable way connected and are all creatures lost yet trying to fined our way "Home" in a vast, mysterious and seemingly infinite Sea of Life.

I also think that somehow, someday, somewhere the "Scales Balance"--Always in All Ways.

The grief of my father's self-imposed alienation from me, my sibs and beautiful progeny will gnaw my Heart until last breath. I cannot fathom the depth of my grief if my children were alienated from me.

Peace Be With You, FTS. :yes::heartflower:

Face:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSzYRo9j7YM

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Thankyou so much Face, I knew I wasn't writing just for me. I feel you. And in times like these connection and love is all that matters. My kids will come around to understanding when the greatest flush of grief has passed I think. Maybe tomorrow, maybe a week or a year. Nothing changes the connection that is real and true, and they do know. My ex did not want me there, I had spoken out, and found a freedom he couldn't. It's ok, and I am ok, or will be soon. You will be too.

xxx

Purple Rain

Crusader
So sad that you have to watch your children go through this, and go through all the tumultuous emotions you are experiencing yourself. It's like someone took a big spoon and stirred everything up from the bottom of the pot and brought all the scrapings to the surface. I'm sad for your ex-husband, too, and how his trust was betrayed and his heart disappointed. As I was taught in Proverbs, hope deferred makes the heart sick. There is little more debilitating than an endless string of hope in a heart's desire that is never fulfilled.

And, you know, we have made our mistakes as parents, but we are still kick-arse good people who are decent and caring and compassionate. They could have had way worse parents than us. We gave them our love and our values and shared what we could of the very best of ourselves. Whether they realise that or not it is the truth. I would be proud to have someone as wonderful as you for a mother. Yes, we are not perfect. Some days we can be the mothers from hell. Some days we can be a full on bitch. But, as you said, we are learning to be ourselves and like who we are - to respect who we are.

I am proud of you for standing on a foundation of integrity of spirit when compromising would be the easy and popular thing to do. And, as you said, his wishes should surely count for something in the matter.

Sending you love across the miles and thinking of you all at this difficult and terrible time.

I just respect you so much. If you close your eyes I hope you can remember our hugs and feel them again now. I can. Much love to you, Free to shine.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
A while ago, someone I knew and loved died a horrible death. She was still "in."

A few of us here planned to go see her when we found out that she was terminal but alas, she'd already gone before we'd even known she was sick.

We sent flowers to the funeral, even tho' we would've loved to have gone and said goodbye with her family. Despite the $ciloons who were about to turn up as well.

In the end, we didn't go - it would've made it hard for her non-$ciloon loved ones to have that much hatred from the Faithful at the funeral.

She was a far better person than she ever realised, and that was something I would have loved to have said to her before she left. But I never got the chance.

I feel and understand what you are going through- it's not a nice pain but, in the end, it's the only decent thing that you can do.

And, after all the indecent things "we" did to "Clear the Planet," decency is an incredibly highly valued commodity for those of us who have escaped the toxic cult.

:bighug:

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
For a true friend

I feel inarticulate. I thought about just posting a whole bunch of hugging smilie thingies because the words I want to express myself with just don’t seem to exist. So, this is the best I can do.

I may not understand much about life, God knows I still can’t make a decent pavlova, but maybe I’m starting to get a tiny bit of a handle on this thing called love. I can’t be sure, I live in hope. Walking the talk takes so much guts. And girl, you have so much guts!

Huge transitional storms blow in, throwing things into turmoil, ripping our hearts into an unrecognisable state. It’s a kind of ache no words can possibly describe. And we stand in the middle of the mess, trying to make sense of it, wanting right, wanting wrong, wanting some definition, wanting relief from the aching grey. And in the grey we crave love. We crave peace. We crave harmony. If only for one small minute.

If I could, I would fill that grey ache with love, for you. With peace, for you. With comfort, for you. I’d wrap it all in a bow of tender harmony. You, my friend, gave me so much during my dark times. You sat with me with your headset on, at all sorts of ungodly hours, as I went through some very desperate times. You kept loving me, helping me find my way home to myself. You stayed steady and true while I blundered my way through my pain.

So with a steady hand, tears rolling down my face and a heart full of love, I write this for you:

Words which cut and burn.
Dreams, in pieces, all over the floor.
Connections hammered by words and cruelty.
A shaft of sunlight fleetingly hints at comfort.
A simple flower, brings beauty.
A smile from a stranger, soothes.
Seeking solace in the smallest of things.
Eating cake with too much sugar, served with too much guilt.
Washing down the guilt with endless cups of coffee.
A heart so heavy, and air that feels all wrong.
The letting go…is it possible the joyous child within asks?
Inch by tiny inch, through tears and mucus.

And in the silence there was great love.
In the stillness there was great peace.

R.I.P. Ross.
:rose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6D_C-6qfjc

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Dear Free,
I am so very sorry for your loss, which I know to be even more - and deeper than - the death of someone you once loved so deeply. The loss of the dream, the permanence that comes with death, the loss of hope that someday there will be an awakening and things will change. There aren't words to say how sorry I am that you are facing this today.

My heart goes out to your children and I too hope that they will someday understand your need to be in integrity with yourself and what a gift it is to them that you chose to do so.

As I get older - and somehow I am feeling it more this year, as if it's crept up on me and suddenly emerged from some shadows - the more I think about the losses, wisdom, sorrows, and mysteries, if you will, of generations that came before. How many times did our parents - and their parents and grandparents before them - hope against hope that someday the younger generation would understand the difficult choices the older generation had to make? How many heartaches are carried so bittersweetly behind the quiet lives of people we encounter every day - heartaches brought on by families torn apart in ways that at one time seemed impossible? So much grief.... and so much courage - hand in hand.

Thank you for sharing your loss. Your words, your courage, and your compassion touched me deeply. May your candle light his way.

Love,

Blanky

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
After such amazing responses, I can say I don’t regret posting. :)

Honestly, you have no idea how much it helps, each and every word posted has seemed to open up new things to think about, and it’s going to take a while for it all to settle into place and make sense, so I won’t answer individually. Just heartfelt thankyou. A lot of these posts have made me cry but they also help me stand up .... even if on shaky legs.

We all suffer loss from death, divorce, separation in our lives .... I thought I had it sorted and was ready as this wasn’t an unexpected event. It turns out that the complex nature of my upbringing and family within that belief system (I don’t want to use even the word on this thread) has created ripples that I could not have anticipated in my wildest dreams. Those ripples turned into something of a tsunami and as it recedes I guess we all pick ourselves up and see what has survived. There could even be some good eventually, as rigid structures get shaken loose in order for new things to grow. Then again I tend to be an optimist.

Yes, I’m glad I posted yesterday in the midst of the storm. If we don’t honour the love and the goodness in us all then it can just fade away in the shadow of the pain. I wasn’t able to do that until I started typing. It may be used against me in this complex situation but I don’t care. As dear Sally has written and shown over the last year or so, authenticity is more important. I still have to talk in broad concepts rather than specifics but I know many understand, and that helps so much.

Last edited:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Free,

Every one of Us is someone's child. Deep in the Heart of every child is the innate instinct and desire for "connection". Someday your children will "come around" and, when they do, you will be there without judgement, with love, acceptance and a free, shining, open Heart...The Circle, Unbroken. :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bRJLkNqNXI

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Free,

Every one of Us is someone's child. Deep in the Heart of every child is the innate instinct for "connection". Someday your children will "come around" and, when they do, you will be there without judgement, with love, acceptance and a free, open Heart...The Circle, Unbroken. :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bRJLkNqNXI

Wise words! :yes:

Just today I closed one of those circles of love. A powerful moment! Full of love and acceptance.

I rushed home and wrote in my journal:

"I have often wondered that if all the myriad of details of a life are removed, if all that is left is love. And it is so hard to peel back all those details, all those layers to find that simple peaceful love. I have discovered it is possible! My answer is yes!!"

I am quite sure this won't make a lot of sense, matters of the heart often do not translate well into words. :flowers: