What's new

How do we do this?

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Does anyone have any ideas on how to help people connect up?

I can provide private forums and all sorts of things, but how does one connect up and remain anon?

Is this forum a waste of space?

Any suggestions?

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron

I can provide private forums and all sorts of things, but how does one connect up and remain anon?

Any suggestions?

I was just thinking about that. You could post a person's name, but maybe it would be wise for anyone answering to use a nick till each had answered a question that only that friend would know, in a PM of course, to circumvent someone systematically going through and collecting everyone's identity. Some people could care less, I'm starting to feel more that way, but I certainly didn't when I first started posting to OCMB.

Someone newly out is instilled with a degree of paranoia about things like publicly exposing Scn crimes, openly telling DM what a dickhead he is, and cavorting with the enemy. After all, they've been in an environment where even the flicker of a frown or a critical thought at the latest idiocy can get them slammed into ethics as "disaffected" with all sorts of repercussions. They have to get used to freedom of speech and freedom to associate with who you damn please.

Perhaps there could be a list of people (real names) who someone on the board would like to contact, then anything after that could be done by PM. If the names were somehow programmed to appear on google if someone googled themselves, that might find a few people without jeoprodizing anything, because there would be no way of anyone telling who responded or if anyone responded.

KMomma

Patron
I have been looking for someone for the past year and a half. I have heard that this person has joined the Sea Org or joined staff in CA. If I see a poster that could've been in the same area or just left the Sea Org, I've PM'd them to ask if they know or met this person. I haven't had any luck, but I think this is the safest way to do it.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have been looking for someone for the past year and a half. I have heard that this person has joined the Sea Org or joined staff in CA. If I see a poster that could've been in the same area or just left the Sea Org, I've PM'd them to ask if they know or met this person. I haven't had any luck, but I think this is the safest way to do it.

Yes, that's one way. I've PM'd a couple of people looking for old friends but no response.

I do not know your situation but if you are not declared you can call orgs directly. Come to think of it you could do that even if you are declared unless it is your own org and they know you. But keep in mind that receptionists very often take messages for a staff member, stick them on the little message spike on her desk, then a couple days later the spike is cleared of all unclaimed messages. It may take several calls once you find the right org.

If your friend is at CMO Int or Gold, there is still an office in Pac which will route communication uplines.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I was just thinking about that. You could post a person's name, but maybe it would be wise for anyone answering to use a nick till each had answered a question that only that friend would know, in a PM of course, to circumvent someone systematically going through and collecting everyone's identity. Some people could care less, I'm starting to feel more that way, but I certainly didn't when I first started posting to OCMB.

Someone newly out is instilled with a degree of paranoia about things like publicly exposing Scn crimes, openly telling DM what a dickhead he is, and cavorting with the enemy. After all, they've been in an environment where even the flicker of a frown or a critical thought at the latest idiocy can get them slammed into ethics as "disaffected" with all sorts of repercussions. They have to get used to freedom of speech and freedom to associate with who you damn please.

Perhaps there could be a list of people (real names) who someone on the board would like to contact, then anything after that could be done by PM. If the names were somehow programmed to appear on google if someone googled themselves, that might find a few people without jeoprodizing anything, because there would be no way of anyone telling who responded or if anyone responded.

Maybe we could have a section (like in the org watch forum) for each continent and people could post "Looking for X" type posts, so if these people ever googled their names they'd find you.

On each of these sections we could have a contact person? I dunno. Still pondering how to do this or even if its possible or even wanted.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
The way it worked for me (on OCMB) was when I posted names (and the Riverside Mission) hoping that someone(s) would find my posts doing a web search.

As a result, five people that I knew posted briefly on OCMB.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
It's harder when someone is in the US and needs a passport and airticket to come home (like I did). Especially if there are no rellies or permanent address in the US. I know I'm newish and don't really know how this all works (on the Board) but would like to pitch in to help anyone needing a hand to get out, whatever that means. I think the idea of a cont contact person is good, better if there are two just in case someone doesn't want to be in touch with you specifically (eg your ex husband or the guy who dobbed you in to the RPF!!).

He-man

Hero extraordinary

Any suggestions?

It´s not a waste of space as it is, I got some info on three old friends through here. But I don´t have any suggestioons on how to improve it because of the anonymity problem. I can´t see any way around it.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I have found a couple of people that I knew, from their descriptions of their past experiences and PM'd them, that was so good. The truth is that most people I knew in the SO were so not being themselves that there was little to like in the first place.

Though it might be good to find more it might not be too good to have my name googleable, though I am googleable from the SP list as it is. It is a conundrum.

Maybe we could give you by pm a list of names we would like to reconnect to, and if that corresponds with names you have you could pm them, but that's a lot of work for you, and making all those sandwiches and pouring beer for people too, it might be too much.

And lastly but not least, no this forum is not a waste of space!

zorzetta

Patron
Perhaps it could work like online adoption registries. Everything is 100% confidential on those sites, and names don't show up in google (for certain ones). There are ways to block google from indexing a page if you are worried about names showing up in searches.

Happy Aberree

Patron with Honors
It wouldn't be google I'd be worried about (re: ZZ's post), but rather other internet "resources" that OSA would use.

This is a hard one. I like the PM's via Emma idea, but like that poster said -it is a lot of work (for our Emma).

It is definitely a valuable forum but it is a very touchy area, with so many under the radar. I wouldn't be too comfy replying to PM's from "unconfirmed" persons. (I can totally understand why others here have sent PMs and not gotten replies). The one or two people I thought I recognised, I didn't bother sending anything (even by PM) because it would mean giving personal info to someone I'm not sure about.

jenni with an eye

Silver Meritorious Patron

Any suggestions?

I actually have no ideas for you.
I have been able to get back in touch with some
very dear friends thanks solely to this forum.
So... :thankyou:

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have used PMs to get in comm with people I think I might know. But I only do it if I check their posting history and feel they are genuine. So far, so good.

Good twin

Floater
We find each other. Even before I said my name I found people and they found me. Michelle (Wisened One) was the first one from Miami Org to tell her identity. That made her a door to connecting people from our area. A few times people who wanted to stay annonymous contacted her (through PM) to see if they were guessing others identities correctly. There is a dance that they always do and we talk about it all the time.

Sometimes I can tell who my old friends are as soon as they start posting. Once I knew as soon as I saw their nic. There are others who I am still trying to figure out, but they aren't ready. It's all good, Emma. I suppose you could implement changes, but the forum works just fine as it is for me.

I have enough reconnected ExScientologist friends to man up quite a large Org. We won't be doing that btw. :p

minnie

Patron with Honors
There is one friend in particular that I have wanted to contact for a few years now, but just couldn't work out how to do it, apart from Terrill mentioning him on another forum for me. For future reference when a system has been worked out, his name is Russell Stockdale. Hello Russell wherever you are :wave: :wink2: Peter Campbell would be another nice friend to reconnect with too.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Very valuable

This is a very valuable forum. Invaluable.

How to connect people up? Well, I think the PM'g is a good way - but the paranoia is big - and it should be. :lol: I don't really know of anything other than a person having to take a chance, if they want to go so far as to connect up. Maybe have a special place here for that, with feedback, so if something bad happens to someone for coming forward, it will be known - and in essence diffused . . .????

Maybe soon people won't be afraid, won't HAVE TO BE afraid, to put their names out there. Until then, it is a risk assessment.

But this forum is SUPER IMPORTANT. Thank you Emma.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I think what's here now works as well as anything we could add. Some people do want to remain anonymous and it *is* worthwhile to take the measure of whom you're dealing with before getting too involved. But, people are free to reveal as much about themselves as they wish and it's been enough for people to recognize each other and get into more direct contact.

Possibly a 'looking for' thread might be good as a sticky, just to centrally locate things, but, I don't think there's anything that can or should be done more directly.

Zinj

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
It's harder when someone is in the US and needs a passport and airticket to come home (like I did). Especially if there are no rellies or permanent address in the US. I know I'm newish and don't really know how this all works (on the Board) but would like to pitch in to help anyone needing a hand to get out, whatever that means. I think the idea of a cont contact person is good, better if there are two just in case someone doesn't want to be in touch with you specifically (eg your ex husband or the guy who dobbed you in to the RPF!!).

Can someone define what "dobbing" is?