What's new

My little leaving story.

LucasN

I left the Sea Org, Sydney, in 1999. At the time of leaving I was the MAA at Castlereagh building. Cant recall exactly when I left as its a bit of a blur.

I guess for me what made my mind up was 2 incidents.

The first was when I was put on a door of a person who was suspected at risk of running out on the organization. I was told that if she tried to, to do whatever was necessary to stop her. She was only 17 or so.
The situation didnt seem quite right to me but I followed orders like a good little Scientologist.

The second was quite awhile later when a Sea Org member did a runner. I was taken to the Sydney airport and left there for 14 hours. Again was told to do whatever was necessary if I spotted him. With the suggestion given to me of yelling "thief" or something similar so as to get airport security to help subdue the person. This finally hit me as very wrong.

Now I may have gone about this the wrong way but after seeing how they treated people trying to leave the so called "proper way" I also did a runner.

I packed my bags and left the berthing at around 2am. Jumped on a train from central station up north to some family friends.

My mother was still in the organization at the time and through her they tried to get me to come back down there. Even threatening that I would never have any contact with her again and that they would come up and forcibly take me back. The family friends didnt take this well and quite bluntly told them there was a loaded shotgun waiting :) And was produced when they did come up.
They contacted us a few times a week for the next 6 months or so. Makes me wonder what there stance on me is?
I am an SP :D

Pretty tame compared to some horror stories regarding leaving but thought I would share my little experience.

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Hi LucasN,

:thumbsup: Your storyabout this part of your life in the Sea Org is very important, especialy with the SPTimes article just coming out. :yes: You were smart to follow your conscience.:yes: Congratulations!!! :happydance:

Mary McConnell

Consensus

Patron with Honors
Now I may have gone about this the wrong way but after seeing how they treated people trying to leave the so called "proper way" I also did a runner.

What persuaded you to leave was the horrible lengths they'd go to to 'recover' people that 'did a runner.'

But when you compared how you'd be treated as a runner as opposed to 'routing out', you decided doing a runner was easier.

This ties in perfectly with the SPTimes' latest article.

The sentence 'Now I may have gone about this the wrong way' shows that they still have some hold on you; if you feel any obligation whatsoever to these people, if you feel you 'wronged' the organization by electing to leave (as opposed to subjecting yourself to 6 months of 'routing'), they are still in your head.

I hope this isn't the case, and if it is, I hope you get better. LRH himself says it is a human right to decide who you have contact with - and who you don't. The CoS has wronged you, and continues to wrong others. There's no 'wrong way' about disconnecting from them.

P.S. If you have some time, I'd love your feedback on a thread I made a few months back on WWP exploring the methods of thought control. I was never in the CoS, and do not have any friends that were, so I have no way to compare my explanation with the real experiences of people who went through Scientology. I hope the explanations contained in it can be helpful to you, and to other people who are working through leaving Scientology. I'm always looking to make improvements as well. Any feedback is appreciate. Here's the link:
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-scientology-discussion/brainwashing-long-14420/

gerry

Patron with Honors
My mother was still in the organization at the time and through her they tried to get me to come back down there. Even threatening that I would never have any contact with her again and that they would come up and forcibly take me back.

This is the story that Joe Public need to see.

Truth rules

Take care
:happydance:

LucasN

Consensus,

I guess the reason I did a runner instead of Routing out is I was an easily swayed person back then.
For example I just started year 10 at high school, found out about Scientology, had 1 phone call from a recruiter and within 3 days of it all I was in Sydney and had started on the EPF. I figured if I didnt go then and there then its possible they could have swayed me to stay and most likely would have.
I have no other regrets about leaving except for the fact I left some of the best people I have ever known. At least 1 of them is still there unfortunately.

I miss them all greatly :(

Sir Facer

Patron with Honors
WELCOME LUCASN

Consensus,

I guess the reason I did a runner instead of Routing out is I was an easily swayed person back then.
For example I just started year 10 at high school, found out about Scientology, had 1 phone call from a recruiter and within 3 days of it all I was in Sydney and had started on the EPF. I figured if I didnt go then and there then its possible they could have swayed me to stay and most likely would have.
I have no other regrets about leaving except for the fact I left some of the best people I have ever known. At least 1 of them is still there unfortunately.

Hi Lucas,
Great that you told some of your story and that you are out now, as its much worse now. I do understand about missing some of the good guys in there as I do too, however they are comming out in droves now so you will be bound to meet up with some of your old buddies in the future as I have. Welcome.:thumbsup:

wiseman_of_the_watchtower

Patron with Honors
Welcome Lucas,

Well, I have to say that I understand that you have some friends still in.

I had a friend still in, and by keeping an eye on the SO base, I discovered that my friend was routing out too!

So don't give up hope. They might leave too.

-WMWT

Daddio

Patron with Honors
Welcome, LucasN!

Maybe being "easily swayed back then", shortened the pain of leaving by years. Hope your friend makes the same choice, mate.

daddio

LucasN

Yeah I reckon it certainly saved me a lot of pain and time. As for my friends that were still there, only a few got out that I know for sure. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any of them. Facebook has been my only search tool really and had no luck there. Lets hope one day they come here :)

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome

Hello LucasN,

You did a brave thing by leaving. :thumbsup:

You did the right thing. :happydance:

Welcome to the board. You will find lots of friends here.
If you don't mind....is your mom still in and how long have you been out.

:welcome:

Wisened One

Crusader
Wow, Lucas! Glad you escaped yourself and that they didn't actually follow you or try to get you back! :yes:

We love stories, please share more when you're ready!

Hubby and I escaped in the middle of the night, too. (And we were Staff). They actually found us and convinced us to come back to route-out standardly :duh:

We actually *left* scn in 2004.

It sure is good to be free of all that and enjoy life on our OWN terms, ya know? :)

Michelle

Mystic

Crusader
I left the Sea Org, Sydney, in 1999. At the time of leaving I was the MAA at Castlereagh building. Cant recall exactly when I left as its a bit of a blur.

The first was when I was put on a door of a person who was suspected at risk of running out on the organization. I was told that if she tried to, to do whatever was necessary to stop her. She was only 17 or so.
The situation didnt seem quite right to me but I followed orders like a good little Scientologist.

The second was quite awhile later when a Sea Org member did a runner. I was taken to the Sydney airport and left there for 10 hours. Again was told to do whatever was necessary if I spotted him. With the suggestion given to me of yelling "thief" or something similar so as to get airport security to help subdue the person. This finally hit me as very wrong.

I packed my bags and left the berthing at around midnight. Jumped on a train from central station up north to some family friends.

My mother was still in the organization at the time and through her they tried to get me to come back down there. Even threatening that I would never have any contact with her again and that they would come up and forcibly take me back. The family friends didnt take this well and quite bluntly told them there was a loaded shotgun waiting :)
They contacted us a few times a week for the next 6 months or so though never actually came up themselves. And I never did anything about getting declared or what not. Makes me wonder what there stance on me is?

Pretty tame compared to some horror stories regarding leaving but thought I would share my little experience

Good show, LucasN. Excellent little story. Welcome to ESMB and a big hunk of freedom.

He-man

Hero extraordinary
Welcome to the next step Lucas. Good to see more people joining the awesomeness called ESMB.

smartone

My Own Boss

The second was quite awhile later when a Sea Org member did a runner. I was taken to the Sydney airport and left there for 10 hours. Again was told to do whatever was necessary if I spotted him. With the suggestion given to me of yelling "thief" or something similar so as to get airport security to help subdue the person. This finally hit me as very wrong.

I packed my bags and left the berthing at around midnight. Jumped on a train from central station up north to some family friends.

My mother was still in the organization at the time and through her they tried to get me to come back down there. Even threatening that I would never have any contact with her again and that they would come up and forcibly take me back. The family friends didnt take this well and quite bluntly told them there was a loaded shotgun waiting :)
They contacted us a few times a week for the next 6 months or so though never actually came up themselves. And I never did anything about getting declared or what not. Makes me wonder what there stance on me is?

Pretty tame compared to some horror stories regarding leaving but thought I would share my little experience

:lol: Priceless!! Loved your little story and welcome!

skollie

Silver Meritorious Patron
Consensus,

Welcome Lucas. It is hard leaving all your friends and loved ones behind but hopefully you'll be reconnected soon. Keep searching - look at myspace as well as facebook. I'm happy to help you search if you provide me with the names of those you are looking for.

Feral

Rogue male
Welcome LucasN.

Thanks for your story.

I get why you'd feel it may haven't been the right thing to do, in leaving in the night.

As Consensus pointed out, that is part of our indoc. We are taught not to natter, not to individuate, not to complain of abuse, not to 'blow'.

All these were tricks used to control us. I'm still breaking out of the imposed mindset of the cult.

You did very well spotting what was wrong with the SO so quickly. You did even better getting away from them.:thumbsup: