What's new

New book from Jeff Hawkins! I love him!

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
New book announcement posted today on Tony's website and includes the preface of Jeff's new book.

Jeff Hawkins is awesome! Go to this link:

http://tonyortega.org/2015/02/20/friday/#more-20496

Just a teaser:

HOW DOES SCIENTOLOGY control its members? How does it convince them to avoid any negative information about Scientology? How does it persuade them not to look at critical information on the Internet, on TV, or in the press? How does it convince them to avoid or entirely disconnect from people who are critical of Scientology – even their close friends, their family members, or their own parents or children? All while loftily talking about “improving communication” and “searching for truth”?

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
NEW book about Scientology: Closing Minds, by Jefferson Hawkins

Tony Ortega: Scientology’s Orwellian methods of control explained in a new book by Jefferson Hawkins

http://tonyortega.org/2015/02/20/friday/#more-20496

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Closing-Minds-Cover-e1424342991988.jpg

Jefferson Hawkins has put out another book about Scientology — and this one is based on the work he did here at the Underground Bunker in his series about Scientology’s bizarre system of ‘ethics.’

He’s updated and added to the series and collected it all in an ebook which is available on Amazon. He also sent us the book’s preface, and we’re going to reproduce it here.

Jeff is one of the wisest people we’ve met from the world of Scientology, and we’re fortunate to have his help here at the Bunker. We hope you take the time to consider downloading his book

CLOSING MINDS

By Jefferson Hawkins

PREFACE

HOW DOES SCIENTOLOGY control its members? How does it convince them to avoid any negative information about Scientology? How does it persuade them not to look at critical information on the Internet, on TV, or in the press? How does it convince them to avoid or entirely disconnect from people who are critical of Scientology – even their close friends, their family members, or their own parents or children? All while loftily talking about “improving communication” and “searching for truth”?

How can they compel otherwise intelligent people to live in an information bubble where they will only believe what Scientology tells them and refuse to look at any critical information?

How do they convince ordinary people to donate huge amounts of money to the Church, far more than they can afford? How do they induce staff to work long and hard hours, endure deprivation and abuse, for little or no pay?

While this book is primarily written for Scientologists, former Scientologists, and their families, it may be of interest to anyone curious about the subject.

It is an exploration into a body of information that Scientology calls “ethics technology.” However, it has little to do with the subject of ethics as most people understand it. Instead, it forms a very sophisticated system of mental control.

This book is my effort to deconstruct that system.

I was a Scientologist for more than 35 years. During that time, I joined Scientology’s dedicated inner core group, the paramilitary Sea Organization, worked my way up through the ranks, and spent my final fifteen years as a Scientologist at the Church’s international headquarters in San Jacinto, California.

I was a believer. I believed what the Church told me. I went along with the Church’s lies and fabrications about its own size and influence, for the “greater good.” I followed orders. I kept my doubts and disagreements to myself, telling no one, not even my wife. I endured years of hardship, physical and mental abuse at the International Base, all because I believed I was contributing to a “higher purpose.”

I had been indoctrinated to believe that by doing what I was told, following orders, refusing to listen to criticism of Scientology, and suppressing my own doubts, I was being “ethical.”

Ultimately, when the cognitive dissonance became too much to bear, I grew disillusioned with Scientology and finally left in 2005. In 2010, I published a memoir of my time in Scientology, Counterfeit Dreams, exposing the abuse, lies, and fraud that I had witnessed.

My recovery from Scientology was a long process. Some have compared it to peeling an onion. Once you have peeled off a layer of indoctrination, you find more layers underneath. I chronicled the process in an online blog called Leaving Scientology.

Yet even after all of that, there was still one layer remaining, one unanswered question. How, despite Scientology’s failures, despite its abusive treatment of members, despite its continuous lies, did they manage to maintain the allegiance of otherwise intelligent people. True, many are leaving or have left, but they still somehow maintain the loyalty of thousands.

By 2010, most of my Scientology books had been dumped, unceremoniously, into the recycling bin. However, I had kept one for further analysis: Introduction to Scientology Ethics.

I had felt for some time that this book formed the core of Scientology’s mental manipulation techniques. In the Sea Org, anyone who steps out of line is forced to restudy this book over and over again, until they practically know it by heart. It is the go-to book used by the organization when any member begins to doubt or question Scientology. And anyone who steps out of line in any Scientology Organization is sent to the “Ethics Officer,” who uses the principles in this book to pull them back into line. Therefore, I surmised, Introduction to Scientology Ethics must contain the core principles of Scientology’s mental control “technology.”

And so it does.

I first published my analysis of Scientology’s “Ethics Book” as a series of guest articles for Tony Ortega’s blog, The Underground Bunker. I felt that deconstructing, picking apart and analyzing Introduction to Scientology Ethics chapter by chapter might not only be revelatory to Scientologists and ex-Scientologists, but could also demonstrate to non-Scientologists exactly how the trap is sprung.

After the articles were completed, I decided this subject was of sufficient value to publish as a book, expanding on the essays and consolidating my analysis into one location.

I have tried to keep Scientology terminology and jargon to a minimum, and define these terms in context where possible.

I hope this book is useful to ex-Scientologists in peeling back that last “onion layer.” And for those who have never been in Scientology, I hope it provides an informative peek behind the curtain and some understanding of how they command the unquestioning allegiance of their membership.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

http://www.amazon.com/Closing-Minds-Scientologys-Technology-Control-ebook/dp/B00TQEJ8EU/

Closing Minds: How Scientology's "Ethics Technology" is Used to Control Their Members [Kindle Edition]

attachment.php

attachment.php

Jefferson Hawkins (Author)

Kindle Price: $5.95

Length: 92 pages (estimated)

Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here.

Free Kindle Reading App

Anybody can read Kindle books—even without a Kindle device—with the FREE Kindle app for smartphones, tablets and computers.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.

Book Description

Publication Date: February 17, 2015

How does Scientology control its members? How does it convince them to avoid any negative information about Scientology? How does it persuade them not to look at critical information on the internet, on TV or in the press? How does it convince them to avoid or entirely disconnect from people who are critical of Scientology - even their close friends, their family members, or their own parents or children? All while loftily talking about “improving communication” and “searching for truth”?

In Closing Minds, former Scientology insider Jefferson Hawkins explores a body of information that Scientology calls “ethics technology.” However it has little to do with the subject of ethics as most people understand it. Instead, it forms a very sophisticated system of mental control. For anyone who has been a Scientologist, this book will reveal the subtle manipulations that you were subjected to. And for those who have never been in Scientology, it provides an informative peek behind the curtain and some understanding of how they command the unquestioning allegiance of their membership.

Product Details

File Size: 1403 KB
Print Length: 92 pages
Publisher: Hawkeye Publishing Company (February 17, 2015)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Language: English
ASIN: B00TQEJ8EU
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
Not Enabled
Word Wise: Not Enabled
Lending: Enabled

Attachments

• Hawkins-001.PNG
    Hawkins-001.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Hawkins-002PNG.PNG
    Hawkins-002PNG.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 167

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Re: NEW book about Scientology: Closing Minds, by Jefferson Hawkins

Open Library: https://openlibrary.org/works/OL17082255W/Closing_Minds

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Closing Minds: How Scientology's “Ethics Technology” is Used to Control Their Members

By Jefferson Hawkins

No readable version available.
Borrow

Try a WorldCat search?
Buy

Amazon

1 List Details

Excerpts

By 2010, most of my Scientology books had been dumped, unceremoniously, into the recycling bin. However, I had kept one for further analysis: Introduction to Scientology Ethics.

I had felt for some time that this book formed the core of Scientology’s mental manipulation techniques. In the Sea Org, anyone who steps out of line is forced to restudy this book over and over again, until they practically know it by heart. It is the go-to book used by the organization when any member begins to doubt or question Scientology. And anyone who steps out of line in any Scientology Organization is sent to the “Ethics Officer,” who uses the principles in this book to pull them back into line.

added by Entheta.

There is only 1 edition record, so we'll show it here... • Add edition?

Closing Minds: How Scientology's “Ethics Technology” is Used to Control Their Members

Published February 17, 2015 by Hawkeye Publishing Company .

Written in English.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

Last edited:

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser

Yet another fine book that hits the cult right between the eyes.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Great!

As far as I am concerned, Jefferson, a gifted writer, always been a must-read. His essays and books are extraordinarily entertaining & enlightening.

Looking forward to getting a copy of "CLOSING MINDS".

Congratulations JH! What sublime irony that you were once writing to introduce Scientology to others and now you're writing to keep people away. Honestly, you couldn't have done the latter so beautifully if you hadn't gained the first-hand experience from the the former. Your work is a treasure, keep it comin' bro!

Gib

Crusader

Great!

As far as I am concerned, Jefferson, a gifted writer, always been a must-read. His essays and books are extraordinarily entertaining & enlightening.

Looking forward to getting a copy of "CLOSING MINDS".

Congratulations JH! What sublime irony that you were once writing to introduce Scientology to others and now you're writing to keep people away. Honestly, you couldn't have done the latter so beautifully if you hadn't gained the first-hand experience from the the former. Your work is a treasure, keep it comin' bro!

Yes, how ironic. His late 1980's dianetics book ads got me to read that book, 26 years later reading his Counterfeit Dreams helped me to get out. :happydance:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, it is.

In my opinion, Jeff is one of the best writers out of the slew of people who have written books exposing the cult.

All the writers have made valuable contributions--and I have a good collection of most of the books that have been written. But Jeff is probably my favorite. He writes what I am thinking or have thought, and he does it very professionally.

Can't wait to get this new one (after I figure out how to get it to my I-Pad) LOL

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, it is.

In my opinion, Jeff is one of the best writers out of the slew of people who have written books exposing the cult.

All the writers have made valuable contributions--and I have a good collection of most of the books that have been written. But Jeff is probably my favorite. He writes what I am thinking or have thought, and he does it very professionally.

Can't wait to get this new one (after I figure out how to get it to my I-Pad) LOL

At $6, it's an effing steal. Download the Kindle App to your iPad, and then you can buy it directly from the app or buy it from Amazon via Safari and have it delivered to the app. I've already done it.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
At $6, it's an effing steal. Download the Kindle App to your iPad, and then you can buy it directly from the app or buy it from Amazon via Safari and have it delivered to the app. I've already done it.

Thanks for the tip! I will do just that, as soon as I finish reading John Duignan's "The Complex" which I got in paperback, and am half-way through that. It's a good read so far.

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Taking a moment to bump this.. Just trying to catch up a little and I see we have a troll trying to start a new thread about the hole and other religions and their unfortunate family member blah blah blah, you know the drill.. I would have thought I was more out of practice at spotting a trouble maker, but NOPE, my reading comprehension is as good as ever!

Anyway, I love Hawkins writing too! I was deeply moved by his last book and out of the many I have read, his story sticks in my mind more vividly than others. I'm sure this will be a wonderful book too!

Last edited:

Very impressive cover.

With the design, plus this:

"How Scientology's "Ethics Technology"
is used to control their members.....

.....I can just imagine even a person who is still in, pausing and getting a little flashback of feeling too controlled by Ethics and then opening the cover..........

BunnySkull

Yes, great deal for such content and effort. I thought CD was excellent, one of the best and most insightful books about the cult experience and how someone becomes a virtual slave at INT base.

I'd also like to point out Jeff has done two books, and so much important work, and has never once asked for a dime or fundraised from the community. He busted his ass to start a new life after INT base, wrote an amazing blog which then became the book. Both of his books have been made available at a very low cost - cheap as chips when compared to the info, time and effort he has put into them.

Jeff joined CoS to help others, yet by now leaving the CoS and sharing his experiences and insights he has done so much to prevent harm and destroyed lives - he accomplished his original goal in spades.

Dean Blair

I bought it this morning and I am reading it. I am half way through. As always Jeff's ability to write and explain the Hubbard/Miscavige trap is superb. Hubbard proclaimed that critical thoughts were because of overts and witholds. Hubbard was critical of so many things but was immune to having to write up his OWs. He did however demand that the rest of us write them up or give them up in confessionals. Hubbard and David Miscavige have something in common. Neither one of them gets sec checked like the rest of the followers.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

Closing-Minds-Cover-e1424342991988.jpg

By Jefferson Hawkins

PREFACE

HOW DOES SCIENTOLOGY control its members?

In Closing Minds, former Scientology insider Jefferson Hawkins explores a body of information that Scientology calls “ethics technology.” However it has little to do with the subject of ethics as most people understand it. Instead, it forms a very sophisticated system of mental control. For anyone who has been a Scientologist, this book will reveal the subtle manipulations that you were subjected to. And for those who have never been in Scientology, it provides an informative peek behind the curtain and some understanding of how they command the unquestioning allegiance of their membership.

I am so happy that, finally one very talented former CO$ member\SO, will adress the most destructive technology of a corrupted word, that the Cult uses to destroy\enslave people : The ethics tech

:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Me so happy

:clap::happydance:

I am [STRIKE]angry[/STRIKE] happy , real [STRIKE]angry[/STRIKE] happy
:happydance::happydance:

May all ethics books of the entire world return home
right in the recycle bin to make SO toilet paper, till they leave.:yes:

Last edited:

KissMyStats

Patron with Honors
I got the book on Kindle. I could NOT put it down. I finished it today. It is just fantastic. What is cool is that when I first decided "I will never hold the cans again" and started looking on the internet, the very first thing I read was Jeff Hawkins' blog, "Counterfeit Dreams". After that, I was D O N E. I have read numerous books, blogs, and of course the fabulous ESMB !

All I can say is, THANK YOU JEFF HAWKINS, for your breakdown of the book "Intro to Scn Ethics". Your analysis, which contains many specific details and references to other great books and scholars, is a Godsend. I've been out for several years, but your book helped me even further. It's amazing how deeply ingrained the mind control was in Scientology, especially in the area of "ethics". You point out the most obvious crazy inconsistencies. Yet, while in, I was too ingrained to get it. But I didn't have your book either !!

After you read Hawkins' book, you will realize even more how insane LRH's "ethics" tech is. It is completely and totally a tech to control you and your behavior, to change your own sense of right and wrong. Just total Bullshit. (Like all of it is.)

Jeff Hawkins, I cannot thank you enough for writing this book and I hope I can get a hard copy someday. I would mail this book out over all others to those still in who are blinded by the thought stopping they cannot see.

This is a MUST READ !

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I got the book on Kindle. I could NOT put it down. I finished it today. It is just fantastic. What is cool is that when I first decided "I will never hold the cans again" and started looking on the internet, the very first thing I read was Jeff Hawkins' blog, "Counterfeit Dreams". After that, I was D O N E. I have read numerous books, blogs, and of course the fabulous ESMB !

All I can say is, THANK YOU JEFF HAWKINS, for your breakdown of the book "Intro to Scn Ethics". Your analysis, which contains many specific details and references to other great books and scholars, is a Godsend. I've been out for several years, but your book helped me even further. It's amazing how deeply ingrained the mind control was in Scientology, especially in the area of "ethics". You point out the most obvious crazy inconsistencies. Yet, while in, I was too ingrained to get it. But I didn't have your book either !!

After you read Hawkins' book, you will realize even more how insane LRH's "ethics" tech is. It is completely and totally a tech to control you and your behavior, to change your own sense of right and wrong. Just total Bullshit. (Like all of it is.)

Jeff Hawkins, I cannot thank you enough for writing this book and I hope I can get a hard copy someday. I would mail this book out over all others to those still in who are blinded by the thought stopping they cannot see.

This is a MUST READ !

Bumping this thread.

I got the book online last night (finally got it loaded on my I-pad) and read it nonstop.

I would just add to the above....this is a MUST READ!!!!!

We were programmed into the cult by thinking it was a noble pursuit and the "greatest good" . Jeff's book unravels this programming and makes it easy to see how he (Hubs) pulled it off.

The best $6 you'll ever spend.