What's new

[WWP:] sea-org contract dissected by contract lawyer

A

Annonny

Found this thread on WWP:
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/sea-org-contract-dissected-by-contract-lawyer.79052/

A lawyer's view on the Sea Org contract.

The original Article: http://www.proandcontracts.com/2011/02/18/scientology-sea-org-contract/

I think it's worth a read. :)

Great analysis. Though the analysis wasn't even required - it's obvious that the contract has no legal value and is of a rather symbolic nature.

The freeloader's contract (not sure if it's a written document) is of a completely different nature.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The freeloader's contract (not sure if it's a written document) is of a completely different nature.

I don't know what the current scene is, but when I was in the SO one signed a "No charge staff debit" invoice before starting a training course or block of auditing. In brief, it said "amount payable in full in the event of contract breakage." The general idea was that if you left the SO you would be liable to pay the full amount of the service.

I'm not aware of any further "contract" made on the subject.

I know the thing isn't legally enforceable, but the point is that one usually believes it is while in the SO, and it often acts as a deterrent to leaving.

Paul

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Great analysis. Though the analysis wasn't even required - it's obvious that the contract has no legal value and is of a rather symbolic nature.

The freeloaders bill is bogus too, that's right. AFAIK, people get billed for training and services etc. they've received while being on staff or in the Sea Org. Can someone with better knowledge about this topic please help me out here?

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
Excellent analysis! I wish I'd known that way back when. The best part is item 5 "lack of consideration". I know what's meant in legal terms but it's actually blackly funny since there is absolutely NO consideration given to SO members.

MostlyLurker

Patron Meritorious
I don't know what the current scene is, but when I was in the SO one signed a "No charge staff debit" invoice before starting a training course or block of auditing. In brief, it said "amount payable in full in the event of contract breakage." The general idea was that if you left the SO you would be liable to pay the full amount of the service.

I'm not aware of any further "contract" made on the subject.

I know the thing isn't legally enforceable, but the point is that one usually believes it is while in the SO, and it often acts as a deterrent to leaving.

Paul

True.

SP question of the month.

Can people who have paid freeloaders bills get them back since since they were obtained under false pretences, fraud, coercion, misrepresentation, etc.?