What's new

Yet another announcement

ethercat

Cat in flight
Scientology is a horrible thing. Scientology is such a horrible thing that most of us who know enough about it to understand it want to prevent any more people from being harmed by it. The existence of this forum and other critical venues is evidence of that. And there is still much informing to be done toward that end.

Many of you know that I've never been a member of scientology, and therefore I have no stories to tell about my experiences in scientology. I can't see things from the same perspective that many of you as ex-members see, or know how you felt while in or after leaving scientology. I can't feel the pain and anger you feel as an ex-member. I'm just a member of the general public, society, one person who sees the wreckage left behind in people's lives by scientology. Even in the lives of people who were never scientologists.

For far too long, scientology has been trying to gain a toehold in society - trying to infiltrate my world. Our world. And sometimes it succeeds. It does this through the front groups, gaining what it sees as power, and what some see as credibility, and gaining money. So while I can't tell my story, nor do I care to debate the finer points of the "tech" and its results, I can and do still represent my demographic, the general never-in public, by opposing the front groups that harm those who would never knowingly have anything to do with scientology. Narconon is a major source of money for the cult, money that is funneled from the general public into the cult, and all the while, Narconon and scientology never give a damn how vulnerable the clients and their families are, who may get hurt physically or financially, or who may have long term emotional issues because of the surreptitious practice of scientology on the vulnerable and unsuspecting public.

Some of you may know that I run another forum, Reaching for the Tipping Point, where the primary focus right now is Narconon. On Tipping Point, we investigate and expose the facts about Narconon, and help those people whose lives have been or are being turned upside down by this insidious fake drug rehab. Sometimes it involves activities that don't happen on the forum, but in the real world with government agencies and others. Almost everyone who is a major player against Narconon is on Tipping Point, with only a few significant exceptions. There aren't many of us, but I'm grateful for everyone there. Tipping Point is making life very difficult for Narconon.

ESMB is making life very difficult for scientology. A year ago when Emma decided she was done with running ESMB, I volunteered to be the technical admin because I knew this place is important and is having an impact. I knew it would take some time away from the other things I was doing, but I could offer that amount of time to help keep ESMB open as a living forum. Then a little over a month ago, I found myself being not just the technical admin, but the only admin on ESMB. It wasn't easy for me. I guess some of you could tell that, right?

Sometimes as caring and earnest humans, we think we can be supermen, and we take on more than we can do. If we're not careful, it can mean that tasks are left incomplete, or that tasks that are completed are poorly done, both of which can accomplish little if anything, and can basically amount to spinning our wheels for nothing.

This is the position I am in right now. I have to admit to all of you and to myself that I just do not have the available free time to do it all here at ESMB, and do it well, without giving up the other things I need and want to do. Things like working full time, tending to my daily life, taking care of and participating on Tipping Point, a few special projects here and there, and having some time left over for friends and some occasional fun.

So I was faced with having to make a choice - close ESMB down, at least as an open and living forum; or find someone to be the social/community admin who is trustworthy to most people here, capable of understanding and working with the forum software, has the time, and is willing to do it. Yes, just like in scientology, I would have to find a replacement to do that part of my job before I could leave it.

I turned to Emma to ask for help in making the decision, and with the two of us lacking any obvious viable candidates, she graciously although somewhat reluctantly agreed to take back the reins as social/community admin. I will stay as technical admin, doing what I had originally agreed to do. I know some of you may be disappointed that I won't have as much of a presence on the forum - probably Emma most of all. Some of you may be happy about that, and that's ok too. I would just ask everyone to help by making Emma's job as manageable and straightforward as possible. It's not easy to make the moderation judgment calls sometimes; I know because I've been there.

I appreciate the support I saw from some people during my struggle to oversee moderation, and I hope you will show Emma the same support. I will still be around, just not as visibly. The extra time I gain will be put to good use, and at some point, I'll even get the search feature straightened out, hopefully for the better. I know at least a few of you will be glad to hear that.

Now, with no more "bla bla bla" from me, over to Emma.

Lone Star

Crusader
Thanks for stepping in and taking over while you did EC!! You did a great job! :thumbsup:

I suggest another duo admin team. I nominate Panda and Hoaxie. Wouldn't that just be a hoot! :biggrin:

TG1

Angelic Poster
What about Panda and Veda?

Caroline and Pooks?

BlackRob and Claire?

HH and Terril?

Auditor's Toad and Mark A. Baker?

Sooo much talent here. :)

TG1

Free Being Me

Crusader
Thank you so much Ethercat and Emma for keeping ESMB open. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just to remind you, I was made a moderator April 1st, I'm still waiting for my uniform, unless that was joke....wait a minute!

Enormous Gratitude For Both Of You!

:rose::bighug::rose:

Lone Star

Crusader
What about Panda and Veda?

Caroline and Pooks?

BlackRob and Claire?

HH and Terril?

Auditor's Toad and Mark A. Baker?

Sooo much talent here. :)

TG1

Yes I like the idea of polar opposites making up an Admin team. They'd get into fights over who to moderate and who to ban. Then they'd end up trying to ban each other. It would be a bloody mess to behold! The Ex Scientology Flying Circus Board. :biggrin:

TG1

Angelic Poster
Seriously,

Ethercat, thank you for everything you've done for ESMB and that you'll continue to do for the Board. And fixing that search function will get you a Lifetime Kha Khan.

I have no idea how you are get so much done in your life. I am in awe of you.

Plus, you manage to be so very kind.

Gratefully,

TG1

TG1

Angelic Poster
Careful, everyone -- I had other pairings in mind, too:

Rich and Thrak

Anonymary and Ogsonofgroo

Mick and the random, next newbie

Lone Star

Crusader

Rich and Thrak

Oh I think Rich and Thrak would be a most hilarious pair! Rich would demand that all of us submit a picture of ourselves with a clear view of the ears to determine which actors are portraying us.

Thrak would then have a melt-down. :hysterical:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Rich and Thrak

Is this supposed to be a joke? Why would you pair me and Ogsonofgroo? We have no history together on this forum to speak of. I could name at least 3 other people I could be paired with as adversaries, but not Ogsonofgroo. Perhaps I missed something.... do tell, please.

Free Being Me

Crusader
Maybe a stint in the Sea Org can help me with that. :omg:

No!!!!! Not that, maybe copious amounts of coffee or if we cloned you. You could be Dualcat. :roflmao:

clones.jpg

TG1

Angelic Poster
Is this supposed to be a joke? Why would you pair me and Ogsonofgroo? We have no history together on this forum to speak of. I could name at least 3 other people I could be paired with as adversaries, but not Ogsonofgroo. Perhaps I missed something.... do tell, please.

Sorry, Mary - I didn't mean to imply that you did. I have so much respect and affection for you both. But lifestyle wise, you're both quite different -- you are incredibly organized, productive and an urbanite, while Ogs is a woodlands creature, fond of late night green pea soup cook-ups and natural highs.

I could as readily have paired myself and Commander Birdsong, for whom I have great affection. But as he and I would both agree, we lead quite different lives, have different politics, different takes on Scioland and different posting styles.

Honestly -- I just got swept up in the "differences" moment.

TG1

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Sorry, Mary - I didn't mean to imply that you did. I have so much respect and affection for you both. But lifestyle wise, you're both quite different -- you are incredibly organized, productive and an urbanite, while Ogs is a woodlands creature, fond of late night green pea soup cook-ups and natural highs.

I could as readily have paired myself and Commander Birdsong, for whom I have great affection. But as he and I would both agree, we lead quite different lives, have different politics, different takes on Scioland and different posting styles.

TG1

Oh, ok, that's how you figured it! Makes sense, lol. Thanks for the quick reply and compliment! I have much respect and affection for you, too :)

Lulu Belle

Moonbat

TG1

you're just the Matchmaker From Hell. :p