What's new

What's your youngest memory?

This is something I have been meaning to post for quite a while. It seems I was 5 or 6 when, like a light turning on, I was self aware - or have memories of that period. Maybe younger? Some of the things I recall were mundane, some traumatic. Like the big dogs that would run at fences and bark at me, like seeing Wizard of Oz with my parents, and becoming hysterical when the trees were throwing their apples at Dorothy, and me running up and down the aisle screaming my fool head off. Or stepping in a small spring fed stream and being stung by yellow jackets. Or having to wear a tee shirt at the beach because I burned so easily, or throwing a ski pole at my brother and just missing his spine, or dropping a metal bucket on my other brother's head from on top of the roof. Or making my pet duck walk up the hill to our house after letting it swim in the lake. Or walking in the musty smelling Caribou Club that was part of my grandmothers hotel and looking the stuffed moose and antelope head hunting trophies there. or going to Ft. Ticonderoga and seeing the melting glass windows. Flying in a DC 3 and hitting an air pocket and feeling I was in free fall with my stomach in my throat. ( yes, it was a tail dragger)

But those are snatches, the bulk being lost. Like the Edge of Night soap opera playing at the TV in my grandmothers hotel, looking at the actors shocked expressions, then walking off to the kitchen for a glass of milk and try to steal a toll house cookie (or several) then walking back by it, wondering when the cartoons were going to come on as they huddled around the some to be written off actor who lay dying in bed, a tube snaking from his arm. Most of the story has been lost in the mists of the past.

When I ran straight wire or engrams, there wasn't much to find that was new, save one incident, where my father was spanking me for playing with his HO gauge train set ( I think that was my crime - it could have been something else) and me going exterior and laughing at him as he spanked my body, me thinking - you can't catch me.

Does memory need a trigger? As I recalled one of these, another popped up, like the time I wandered in a stream, and came out, my legs covered with leaches.

So, fellow exes and not in's, what were your earliest memories? I have a few I can't recall, like I was told I broke my arm falling of the step on a train in Cleveland. But I was wondering how early can you actually recall?

Did you have that some Light bulb turning on burst of self awareness and not recalling much anything earlier than that?

And for those who have had auditing - did straight wire improve your memory?

Mimsey

TWA_1940.jpg

6a00e54efdf11288330120a5e8e71c970c-pi

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
What's the earliest time you can remember when . . . ?

Gosh, that sounds familiar. :)

I can see this thread rapidly descending into a horrible mess of bad jokes about pre-natals, earlier universes and so on. Anyway,

:carryon:

Paul

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Last thing I can remember was when I was Director of Communications for the Galactic Confederacy; sorry, don't recall the year. :confused2:

I brought a telex into Lord Xenu from the Action Chief as concerns a mission debrief on the census that had just been completed with the most recent data on population, etc.

He was more pissed off than I had ever recall seeing him. :omg:

He began pounding his fist on the conference table, than jumped up onto the table and began slapping random execs that happened to be sitting in the wrong place at the wrong time, all this while screaming something intelligible.

He dictated a telex which included orders for each of the 76 planets to increase their transportation capacities by 47X, and they had 1 year with which to accomplish this or the planetary commanding officers would risk ending up on the GCRPF (Galactic Confederacy's RPF) which was on the coldest, least desirable planet.

Sorry, this is all I remember for the moment.

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
What's your youngest memory?
If I got it right, you are not asking about the earliest recall, you are asking for the youngest memory.

So I think my youngest memory is one of the 1GB RAM-modules in my PC. I have older ones too, e.g. 256k-SIMMs from my 386. :coolwink: :nervous:

If I got it right, you are not asking about the earliest recall, you are asking for the youngest memory.

So I think my youngest memory is one of the 1GB RAM-modules in my PC. I have older ones too, e.g. 256k-SIMMs from my 386. :coolwink: :nervous:
Sigh. Ron had a tape lecture where he claimed he was the easiest pc to audit - because he always answered the question no matter how wrong headed or badly worded.

He was slavishly literal as a pc, not unlike the previous responses. So, wiseacres: the question is: in this lifetime, what is the earliest memory you can recall? (f) Ah! It read. Ok. Answer please....

Mimsey

Hypatia

Pagan
I have a memory from just before I was born and another from when I was 6 months old. I believe both to be genuine. I had the prenatal one before I knew where babies come from. (What-no cabbage patch?) But I'm certainly willing to admit I could be wrong about it.

The 6 month old baby one is of me being carefully put in a dresser drawer lined with soft fabric. (Thanks for not shutting it, Mom!) Years later, I asked Mom if she'd ever put me in a drawer. She said, yes. Visiting a good friend, time to put me down for a nap, she did that. I remember thinking "Well, they've never done that before."

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
Clearly remember my first time walking (12-18 months). Was standing holding onto a couch
and all of a sudden I waddled across the room to the armchair on the other side of the room.
Hung on for dear life after I arrived.

Parents were startled, happy and commenting about my first steps alone. Happiness.

Always remembered this throughout my life.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I had a memory as a baby of my mom putting me in my crib and turning off the light. As a toddler, sticking my finger in an electrical outlet while crawling around on the floor and getting a shock. As a toddler, being on a railroad train and opening another person's compartment door.

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
What's the earliest time you can remember when . . . ?

Gosh, that sounds familiar. :)

I can see this thread rapidly descending into a horrible mess of bad jokes about pre-natals, earlier universes and so on. Anyway,

:carryon:

Paul

oh yeah!? well I was the big bang.

myrklix

Patron with Honors
Great question.

I have a vivid memory of my mother having me touch her belly when she was pregnant with my younger brother and kicking inside her. He is 3 years younger than I so that's how I can date it.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

I've got some "still photo" memories of places i lived. Maybe i was 18-24 months old.

But one of the first "moving picture" memories was when i was 24-30 months old, when the whole family was dropping "Dad" off at the airport, for a business trip. I can see it perfectly clear, there he was in his 50's business suit, briefcase in hand. Well, we were following him through the airport to say good bye. I was focused very intently on those shiny black wingtip shoes, walking right behind him trying to keep up.

1950s-surprised-businessman-holding-briefcase-taking-a-step-forward-looking-back.jpg

Sometimes I had to take a few quickie baby steps to his big "Dad" stride, but I was right there, just a couple feet behind him all the way, conscientiously never taking my eyes off those wingtips.

After quite a long trek the wingtips stopped.

So, I stopped. Staring at the wingtips for the longest time.

Then.....

I looked up at the face.

Not my Dadddddddd! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

project-365-fall-seven-20100426-2.jpg

RandomCat

Patron with Honors
I had a memory as a baby of my mom putting me in my crib and turning off the light. As a toddler, sticking my finger in an electrical outlet while crawling around on the floor and getting a shock. As a toddler, being on a railroad train and opening another person's compartment door.
I have a couple distinct memories of being in a crib with my favorite doll, and talking to my older siblings. I asked my mother about these memories, and she said that I slept in the crib until I was 5 years old. :ohmy:

RandomCat

Patron with Honors
Great question.

I have a vivid memory of my mother having me touch her belly when she was pregnant with my younger brother and kicking inside her. He is 3 years younger than I so that's how I can date it.
This seems to go along with the wiki page on "Childhood Amnesia"
...Adults can remember salient events such as a hospitalization and the birth of a sibling earlier than most events (2 and 3 years, as opposed to 3.5 years). Other seemingly important events, like the death of a loved one and moving from one home to another, do not seem to be recalled as early.[SUP][22][/SUP]

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Wait!

I just recalled something even earlier. . .

Something that never came up in my auditing. The time my mom sneezed when I was a zygote.

I feel confident scientific testing will confirm that engram is the cause of me ultimately becoming an SP.

This seems to go along with the wiki page on "Childhood Amnesia"
Well, I can clearly recall when my Grandfather died - my mom really went into grief - I was surprised by her reaction, and in looking up the date of his passing on line - I was 7. So it doesn't count as being early enough.

Interesting factoid: My grand dad was a pediatrician who, because my and my mom's blood types were not compatible, delivered me. He wasn't taking any chances with his daughter or me.

Another factoid - all of my kids were home delivered by a midwife, Dr. Eddinghousen, in LA, though my second child - I caught before he got to our house. He had several deliveries that night - odd how they come at the same night. Maybe it has to do with the phase of the moon?

Mimsey

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Interesting question, some interesting answers too. I figure my fullest memories of childhood go back to 2.5-3 years old, probably around the time I learned to talk a bit. All sorts of things, both happy and trauma type stuff, but I suspect that as the brain/child grew, much of it has been 'over-written' by other later experiences, or blended into my electro-chemical computer brain thingy.
One of my earliest 'whole' recollections are those of an old man who use to collect bottles down the alleys of west Vancouver, I'd see him pass by the back yard pretty regularly, with a burlap potato sack slung over his shoulder, and remember the clinking of what I now know to have been bottles. Ever the curious soul, I ran to the back fence one day and asked him what he had in the sack? "Little children just like you sonny, I take them down to the bay and throw them in the water to drown." Well fuck-aduck, I ran screaming into the old victorian house we lived in back then and hid behind an old armchair in the corner of the living room, where my mom finally put down her work in the kitchen and checked to see what all the fuss was about. In retrospect, hm, fuck you old bottle guy, that wasn't very nice. At the time I figure I was just past my third birthday.
We had a pretty interesting life back then, my dear pops was finishing his biology studies at UBC, my mom was having kids and working for the aquarium at Stanley Park zoo when it was first getting established.
My dad would sometimes take me with him to the university and I'd nap under one of the benches in the lab while he and his colleagues did their work, I recall a wool tartan blanket sortta, but its fuzzy, probably just a tired pissed-off brat at the time, dunno. Its a funny thing but, many years later, in my later teens, (I was by then on my own and had returned to the city of my birth), I had friends who were studying there and had a chance to visit the marine biology labs.
Sure enough, and to my surprise too, not much had changed. There were still shelves upon shelves of formaldehyde filled specimen jars, the smells, and the rows of counter/tables where the students did their things. Pretty frikken awesome I thought, even though I could not really tell where I use to sleep and eat my pbj sammies, it was a surreal validation of some of my childhood memories. From what I have been able to gather over the years I was probably around two and a half at the time and not talking yet, as I don't remember understanding language at the time.
I have always thought that I was able to retain many of these events because, other than some weird shit I myself got into (running away, getting lost in a coal-bin for hours while everyone looked for me, losing a puppy 'cause my two year old brother tried to bounce him down the back stairs, blah-blah), we had a pretty happy and decent, loving family.
Dats me wee story of a couple of things I recall, or at least, have stayed in my matrix of memory, even over half a century ago.
Hope y'all enjoyed my mini-tale :)

:cheers:

Gib

Crusader
This is something I have been meaning to post for quite a while. It seems I was 5 or 6 when, like a light turning on, I was self aware - or have memories of that period. Maybe younger? Some of the things I recall were mundane, some traumatic. Like the big dogs that would run at fences and bark at me, like seeing Wizard of Oz with my parents, and becoming hysterical when the trees were throwing their apples at Dorothy, and me running up and down the aisle screaming my fool head off. Or stepping in a small spring fed stream and being stung by yellow jackets. Or having to wear a tee shirt at the beach because I burned so easily, or throwing a ski pole at my brother and just missing his spine, or dropping a metal bucket on my other brother's head from on top of the roof. Or making my pet duck walk up the hill to our house after letting it swim in the lake. Or walking in the musty smelling Caribou Club that was part of my grandmothers hotel and looking the stuffed moose and antelope head hunting trophies there. or going to Ft. Ticonderoga and seeing the melting glass windows. Flying in a DC 3 and hitting an air pocket and feeling I was in free fall with my stomach in my throat. ( yes, it was a tail dragger)

But those are snatches, the bulk being lost. Like the Edge of Night soap opera playing at the TV in my grandmothers hotel, looking at the actors shocked expressions, then walking off to the kitchen for a glass of milk and try to steal a toll house cookie (or several) then walking back by it, wondering when the cartoons were going to come on as they huddled around the some to be written off actor who lay dying in bed, a tube snaking from his arm. Most of the story has been lost in the mists of the past.

When I ran straight wire or engrams, there wasn't much to find that was new, save one incident, where my father was spanking me for playing with his HO gauge train set ( I think that was my crime - it could have been something else) and me going exterior and laughing at him as he spanked my body, me thinking - you can't catch me.

Does memory need a trigger? As I recalled one of these, another popped up, like the time I wandered in a stream, and came out, my legs covered with leaches.

So, fellow exes and not in's, what were your earliest memories? I have a few I can't recall, like I was told I broke my arm falling of the step on a train in Cleveland. But I was wondering how early can you actually recall?

Did you have that some Light bulb turning on burst of self awareness and not recalling much anything earlier than that?

And for those who have had auditing - did straight wire improve your memory?

Mimsey

TWA_1940.jpg

6a00e54efdf11288330120a5e8e71c970c-pi

Say Mims, are you doing ARC SW or self analysis on the group here?