What's new

Gold Base Staff no longer exempt from Jury Duty (merged thread)

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Wow, go AO!!!!

That is fantastic work! These are truly "good works."
Surely there should be a movie about Int Base with AO as the hero.
Great to know Riverside is waking up! How wonderful!

They will probably implement the buddy system for jury duty. Or send three at a time to make sure. Or four. Or more!! :omg: You can believe they will do something to show their paranoia.

David Miscavige, int base isn't yours anymore! You are losing control! Brick by brick....

The sad part is that the jurors from int won't know how to think. But what they will learn will be amazing. Actual justice procedures, that it's ok for the common man to have a thought and to judge something, that it's ok to have a point of view and not get in trouble for it and that even defendants are treated with respect. They will learn that people can be held accountable for actual crimes and that they are not criminals as they have been told at the base. They may make a friend on the outside. This has great possibilities!!

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Not fed - you have to buy your own lunch. It may be that meals are paid for when the jury is sequestered, but there are not that many sequestered juries. So when everyone else goes to the nearby Denny's, what to the Scientologist jurors do for noontime nourishment?

It depends on the jurisdiction. I went to jury duty a year or two ago and they gave us lunch vouchers good at several local places. And I wasn't even picked for a jury, just was sitting around waiting to be picked.

That's another thing: when jurors report to the courthouse for jury duty, they are taken to a room to hang out until called. Most jurisdictions take prevention of jury tampering very seriously. No Gold "minders" will be allowed in the jury lounge. The SO guys may have orders to not talk to anybody and just sit and read a book, they might get coaching on how to avoid being picked for a jury, but they will be out of Gold and free to take the opportunity to escape if they choose.

What could prove to be REALLY interesting is Miscavige on Jury Duty. It's been my experience here in L.A. county that there is very little wiggle room to not serve. Even judges and attorneys are required to serve.

BigBeard

Patron
Interesting...the daily per diem for jury duty is high enough folks at Gold may want to volunteer just to get the money! From the Riverside County jury FAQ:
http://www.riverside.courts.ca.gov/jury.htm#FREQUENTLY_ASKED_QUESTIONS

* Will I be paid for jury service?

The amount a court may pay jurors is set by the State Legislature and the County Board of Supervisors. Currently, the rate of compensation beginning the second day of service is $15.00 per day and thirty-four cents ($0.34) for each mile traveled, one-way, to the courthouse. Usually, jurors must pay for their individual lunches, but the cost of parking (excluding parking tickets) is usually paid for by the Court.

Also looks like Gold can't just tell people they can't serve. Even if they ask them not to, the person still has to appear at the court house:

* What about my job and how can I serve if my employer won't let me off or won't pay me?

Under Labor Code Section §230, your employer must let you off for jury service. Employers cannot discharge or otherwise penalize an employee who is summoned to court to serve as a juror or to testify as a witness. Many employers are good corporate citizens and continue a jurors wages and benefits throughout the period of service. Once you receive your summons you should inform your supervisor about the dates of service and ask what (if any) written policies your company has regarding jury service pay. If your employer asks you to postpone your service, you should obtain a written request from the company, explaining the reasons for the request, and take it to court when you appear for jury duty.

With the crap about opening people's mail at Cof$ facilities, part of me wonders if people who are summoned will ever actually see the summons??

BigBeard

FinallyMe

Silver Meritorious Patron
If they don't respond to and show up in response to the Summons, the judge can issue a bench warrant for their arrest. Picture it - time after time warrants are issued for people who all live at the same address - hmmmmmm.

Fresh News!

This update just in via email:

"Subject: Fwd: Gold Base staff now attending jury duty
To:
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 1:01 PM

Dear All,

There are many viewpoints about Anonymous and some of them are way over the top.
This one has gotten a true product.
Jury Duty has been avoided for YEARS and YEARS.
Apparently INT Gold Base has capitulated.
This is a good product.

Sent: 1/12/2011 11:06:50 A.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: Gold Base staff now attending jury duty

Hello all,

I just received a call from a Riverside sheriff investigator, who I met on a prior occasion about the jury duty issue at Int/Gold base. The investigator stated that staff from the base have now been attending jury duty in 2010. I filed my original complaint about this issue at jury services office in April 2010.

Thus far, 73 people form Int/Gold have been summoned for jury duty and 7 people have been picked to be on a jury panel. As of 2009, there are 305 registered voters on base. The officer confirmed that these 7 people were on the list I submitted.

Out of the 73 people summoned, everybody had to call in. A smaller percentage had to physically come in to the court house, to be part of a group of available jurors who waits in a large room all day. There are televisions in the room. Out of this group. 7 were picked to be on a jury panel. I don't know how many had to physically go to the court house, but it's between 7 and 73 people.

The investigator was not at liberty to tell me what were the dates of attendance or their names, which is confidential.

The summons rate (73/305) is 24% and seems much higher than normal. It appears that they have put the residents of the base at the top of the list for being summoned.

All 305 were eligible to be picked in 2010, on a one-year cycle. In 2011, the remaining 232 are left on this eligibility list. Assuming summons were sent starting April 2010 at 24%/year, I estimate that 74 new jurors from the base will be summoned in 2011, for the entire year. (There are different ways to calculate this, based on when you start in 2011)

Hopefully, this temporary respite off-base, while meeting new people will help them see that life outside the base is not all that bad. The $15/day while they are on the jury panel will beat the $38/week that they probably don't get.

I consider this a win and it was not too difficult to execute. Please repeat this action in Clearwater, Los Angeles, Copenhagen, Dundas (Australia) and wherever there are known scientology staff being prevented from attending jury duty.

I thank everyone that helped providing me with lists of people on base.

AnonOrange

PS: As of December 2008, the penalty for dodging jury duty is $1000.00 and potentially community service. (See http://www.uscourts.gov/ttb/2008-12/article05.cfm, look for the bullet point "Penalty for Failure to Appear for Jury Summons".) "
-end-

Well, this is good news!!! :happydance:Congratulations on restoring partial rights of citizenship to Sea Org members at INT Base! (Whether they want to exercise them or not!:eyeroll:)

What about other locations? Any volunteers to check into this? :thumbsup:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Heard that the inward facing spikes were taken down. Still, though, this wasn't of the cult's volition. OSHA made them take those down. Should NEVER EVER have been put up in the first place. Crazy shit.

Div6

Crusader
Heard that the inward facing spikes were taken down. Still, though, this wasn't of the cult's volition. OSHA made them take those down. Should NEVER EVER have been put up in the first place. Crazy shit.

Pics or GTFO! :D

Really...this needs to be seen to be believed.

And +5 Internets to AO. Seems like the guy can get a product....don't let the SO recruiters know tho....:duh:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Great news - AO delivers :thumbsup:

Might be an interesting exercise to try with the Dundas staff too. :whistling:

Yes

I think here it's called CalOSHA Fluffy...maybe that's just what it's called colloquially, so you were mostly correct! :) Yes, a State not Federal agency.

Sixy, I think I read about this (spikes on a fence?) on another thread on ESMB about INT Base, with pictures and stuff. :thumbsup:

Another Win to Report!

Joe Diaz, a remarkably intelligent public servant, who is Court Services Supervisor for the Jury Services Division, Superior Court of California, County of Riverside, confirms that his office staff will be checking I.D.'s on everyone coming from INT Base to serve on Jury duty, to insure that no substitutions of persons occur for anyone who may be called forth to serve. :biggrin:

This should insure some modicum of freedom for some INT Base residents, as no minders or handlers are allowed to accompany someone into the courthouse to serve jury duty. :happydance:

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Joe Diaz, a remarkably intelligent public servant, who is Court Services Supervisor for the Jury Services Division, Superior Court of California, County of Riverside, confirms that his office staff will be checking I.D.'s on everyone coming from INT Base to serve on Jury duty, to insure that no substitutions of persons occur for anyone who may be called forth to serve. :D

This should insure some modicum of freedom for some INT Base residents, as no minders or handlers are allowed to accompany someone into the courthouse to serve jury duty. :happydance:

Fantastic!! :thumbsup:

Re: Gold Base Staff no longer exempt from Jury Duty

images

THREAD BUMP for all the newbies, and new lurkers! :happydance:

Last edited:
Re: Gold Base Staff no longer exempt from Jury Duty

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...aff-in-the-SP-hall-are-NOT-PERMITTED-TO-VOTE-!

This is a link to a thread on a similar subject, on whether some of the Sea Org members at Int base are being routinely denied their voting privileges, either via being locked down on the RPF or RPF's RPF, or by being confined to SP Hall, being "babywatched" somewhere either on or off base, or by just being kept too busy trying to keep stats up and make deadlines, and not being given time off from their post to go vote, or being denied permission and transportation to go vote, and/or having their voter documents or mail-in ballots searched and confiscated or "lost".

Evidently everyone there has their mail interfered with by the security guards, all SO mail, both in and out, is censored, and folks on the RPF, downstats or anyone else in ethics trouble may not be receiving their mail, including voter information, registration forms and mail in ballots.

So far as I know, this issue of freedom to vote for the residents of Int base is still an ongoing and open issue.

There are also other similar threads here with related information on this:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?10641-Complete-list-of-Gold-Base-registered-voters
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?10243-295-Registered-voters-at-Gold-Base-including-DM-!

Maybe the Mods would combine these threads regarding reported Int base voting rights abuses?

I haven't heard if any progress has been made on this issue or not...has anyone heard anything? All I know is that as of this year we now have a new Registrar of Voters for Riverside County, who seems pretty aware and intelligent, so maybe we can finally get some action on investigating this issue...

http://www.voteinfo.net/aboutUs.asp

smicon.png

"Kari Verjil, Registrar of Voters
* Kari’s election career began in 1992 with the Riverside County Registrar of Voters, where she served as the chief deputy since 2003.
* Prior to her appointment as chief deputy, she served in the capacity of elections coordinator which provided her with experience in the areas of candidate services, voter services, and absentee voting. She also assisted in the implementation of the state’s first electronic voting system.
* Kari Verjil began her appointment as Registrar of Voters for San Bernardino County in June 2005 through early 2011.
* As Registrar of Voters for San Bernardino County, Kari was responsible for administering elections for the largest geographic election region in the continental United States (21,000 square miles), with over 800,000 registered voters.
* She returned to serve as Riverside County’s Registrar in February and is looking forward to continuing to conduct successful elections.
* Kari earned her Bachelor of Arts in Social Science from Chapman University and has completed advanced coursework in the field of education.
* She is on the board of directors of the California Association of Clerks and Election Officials."

If anyone who was once posted there has any pertinent information to share with our new Registrar of Voters to help her understand the situation, please contact her:

Registrar of Voters
2724 Gateway Drive
Riverside, CA 92507

Customer Service -
ph: (951) 486-7200
fax: (951) 486-7272
tty: (951) 697-8966

Last edited: