What's new

OTV111 Expires Anonymously

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
well I kind of agree with you.

It needs a real study done by people who really know how to do a population study of this kind.

It is way too easy just to use anecdotal "evidence".

Naturally, there will be no study. The 'Church' won't even reveal honest membership numbers. It won't reveal where and how many SO there are either. Or even anonymous health statistics.

Zinj

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Naturally, there will be no study. The 'Church' won't even reveal honest membership numbers. It won't reveal where and how many SO there are either. Or even anonymous health statistics.

Zinj

well no, they won't.

But...

they publish their completions and thanks to Kristi there is a large amount of data about individuals. Perhaps some follow up even using social security records and maybe even a call or two could actually produce some statistics of interest

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I think the variables are simply too numerous to account for. Therefore I would never say that Scientology causes health problems. However, I do not think it is a stretch to allege that it can exacerbate existing or potential health problems.

These circumstances pertain to services in the CofS, not services outside of the CofS. I could certainly agree with stressful conditions associated with getting any Scientology services from the CofS being a contributory factor, small or large, to any physical affliction.

Upper OT Levels, involving considerable expense, and time measured in years, would mean prolonged and possibly continuous stress. So in that sense it is not too much a stretch to think of Scientology causing health problems, although it would be more accurate to specify how the CofS administers the tech than the tech itself.

What is being audited is a different matter. A thought just occurred to me--in Study Tech Hubbard talks of unpleasant physiological effects from studying a subject in the absence of mass. I have observed this, in myself and others.

I solo'd OT3 for roughly a hundred hours or so, but haven't spent thousands of hours chasing after insubstantial beings supposedly the cause of much if not all of my own personal troubles. Could there be some correlation here with the absence of mass phenomena?

Paul

I resent the remark that most Scientologists are "seekers".

I take your point. Although that raises the additional complication of those of you who have never chose to involve yourself with the Co$ but found yourself involved anyway.

What proportion of those at the "highest levels" of the bridge come from your demographic?

Of the people that I knew/know several attempted suicide to get out of the cult. Feeling trapped with their whole family being involved, sometimes suicide was viewed as being the only way "out". I experienced this phenomena myself at the age of 16. I knew a few other teenagers in the SO and Cadet Org who made attempts themselves.

Well, unfortunately for your thesis, teenagers are another population group which are considered at high risk for suicide for a number of reasons.

So, whatever the specific culpability of the Co$, the numbers would still have to be adjusted for simply being in an "at risk" population segment.

Mark A. Baker

nw2394

Silver Meritorious Patron
Okay, okay. No need to resort to nasty language. I said I was keeping it simple. I also said that "it seems". I did not proclaim that Scientology is unhealthy.

...snip...

I think the variables are simply too numerous to account for. Therefore I would never say that Scientology causes health problems. However, I do not think it is a stretch to allege that it can exacerbate existing or potential health problems.

Hanover Fist

OK. Peace. I can go along with that.

Nick

Can we put this death in a little perspective?

Katie Couric's (when she was queen of the world on the Today Show) husband died of prostrate cancer in his 40s. He was wealthy and powerful. He wasn't connected to Scientology.

Death happens, taxes happen, traffic tickets happen. Don't blame the Co$ for everything.

There are enough real crimes that it is actually responsible for.

Funky Donny

Katie Couric's (when she was queen of the world on the Today Show) husband died of prostrate cancer in his 40s. He was wealthy and powerful. He wasn't connected to Scientology.

Death happens, taxes happen, traffic tickets happen. Don't blame the Co$ for everything.

It can be shown that scientology often installs a negative attitude towards conventional medicine. It therefore stands to reason that if someone is infected with an anti-medical bias, their death from a preventable cause is more likely. That possibility is what is being explored in this thread.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

It's not about blame. It's exploring possibilities and probabilities on a subject that keeps coming up.

Hanover Fist

Patron with Honors
It can be shown that scientology often installs a negative attitude towards conventional medicine. It therefore stands to reason that if someone is infected with an anti-medical bias, their death from a preventable cause is more likely. That possibility is what is being explored in this thread.

Word!

I am still pissed off at the Christian Scientists for the loss of Jim Henson. He was raised in that particular sect, and while he was not an active member when he died, it is thought by many that his aversion to medicine delayed his medical treatment long enough that...well, he died.

Again, I would not say that Christian Scientists killed him, or caused his death directly. But one has to wonder what the world would be like if Jim Henson had gotten medical treatment sooner and survived and was with us now.

I love the Muppets.

/nostalgia rant & thread-jack mode off

Hanover Fist

uncle sam

Silver Meritorious Patron
Postscript to the Doomed Dubin Family

To those empathic to the plight of the doomed Dubins please note that his father Henry aka "Hank" died this week.
Having followed the comments on my post regarding the death of Dennis Dubin several of you understood the points I was attempting to make. To those - I say thank you: Funky Donny, Zinjifar, sandygirl, OHTEEATE, and johnAnchovie.
Doomed Dennis wasn't a leader he was a follower. A groups' mores and attitudes prevailed heavily upon his thinking and actions. He was an auditee not an auditor. He soaked up the groups' hidden standards as a dry sponge does water. He would wear scientology's mores and attitudes of ignorance and arrogance as a winter coat during a Philly snow storm. He was a very typical adherent of the cos.
Many a follower: even though they are bright, talented, kind and genuine people, are victimized by the brute force of this groups' evil purpose to dominate all aspects of their flocks' lives.