What's new

Scientology Works!

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
How many times have we heard that?

It’s as though Scientologists believe that if this mantra is repeated over and over, it will become true.

“I don’t care what the media says – I know Scientology works!”

“OK, so I haven’t got the results I was expecting – I just need to try harder. After all, Scientology works!”

“Well if you lost your job because you were taking time off to go on course and your family have shunned you because you were always getting into ethics trouble and you are penniless – well that’s your fault for not applying the Tech properly. If you had, you would have got results, because Scientology works!”

Personally, I get rather fed up when I hear this drivel. To me, this is one of the clearest examples of the brainwashing that Scientologists have been subjected to. They ‘know’ Scientology works, but can any of them back this up with anything meaningful?

In Scientology parlance, the statement “Scientology works!” is a ‘sweeping generality’, which are usually frowned upon – except in this case obviously. But what does it actually mean?

Does it mean that Scientology always gets the results that are claimed? I think not – or the CoS wouldn’t be in such a mess.

Does Scientology create super-beings? Well where are they then?

Does Scientology enable people to flourish and prosper? If so, why are so many Scientologists so hugely in debt?

The CoS claim that Scientology was created using the scientific method, but I don’t see much evidence for that. But there is ample evidence that a colossal con has been perpetrated. I’ll use a well-known example to illustrate my point:

Last year, there was a saw a programme on TV featuring Derren Brown ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derren_brown ), which perfectly illustrated the fallacy of believing that something is true “Because it works.”

Derren Brown has been mentioned several times before on ESMB, but it is worth mentioning him again for those who are not familiar with him. He describes himself as a “psychological illusionist”. He uses various techniques such as "magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship", in order to trick people into doing things that they normally wouldn’t or to perform tricks such as (apparently reading people’s minds or getting other people to read minds). He makes no claims about being a super-being or having paranormal powers. He creates illusions and manipulates people, but he is so good at it, that many who have experienced his showmanship firsthand, are utterly amazed and are almost prepared to believe that he is using witchcraft.

He has been shown going up to people in the street, confusing them with a few well-chosen phrases and then getting them to hand over their wallets, car keys etc. One chap was even shown realizing what he had done, walking back to Brown demanding his stuff back, before promptly handing them over again!

This is going to sound really dumb, but I used to think that Derren Brown had genuine OT powers and could manipulate time and space and read people’s minds or make them do things that he wanted them to do. Well, he probably can do the last 2 things to a certain degree, but not by having OT powers. He has simply learnt how to read people’s reactions and use suggestions, misdirection, confusion etc to get people to do what he wants.

Actually that reminds me of an amusing incident. A few years ago, I was sitting in the Great Hall at St Hill, watching one of the Freewinds anniversary events. It was the ‘Mission into Time’ one, where DM gave a presentation on how LRH went on a jaunt around the Mediterranean looking for buried treasure or as he put it - “to find and examine relics and artefacts and so possibly amplify man’s knowledge of history.” (A big thank you to DartSmohen for filling us in on what really took place during that time). Anyway, DM was giving it the Big Intro, banging on about how LRH had discovered a long-lost ‘mythical’ civilisation when, a lad in his late teens / early twenties immediately in front of me, had a cognition and exclaimed in suitably awe-filled tones “Atlantis!”

I just shook my head in disbelief and thought: “Does this kid really believe that LRH actually discovered Atlantis?!” Presumably he buried it over again and didn’t tell anyone about it because he didn’t want the Wog world to know how OT he really was! This kid is from a Scn family so has presumably been raised in the subject, which obviously doesn’t include being taught to think critically or how to evaluate facts and come to logical conclusions. But then, why would you? LRH has already done the hard part for us. All we have to do is read what he said and do what he tells us to do.

But I digress, back to the subject in hand. In Feb 2008, Derren Brown revealed a sure-fire system for winning on horse races. The programme followed a woman who had been directed to place bets on specific horses in 4 previous races. Brown had told her that he had a system that guaranteed that she would win every time. The predicted horse had won each time, and she had won a small amount of money.

So, Brown gives her a horse and she dully places a bet. The cameras are on her as the race is being run. In the final stages of the race her horse is third, I think, and not looking as though it is going to win. She is looking a little concerned, but not unduly worried. Then, the lead horse stumbles at a fence and brings down the 2nd placed one as well, and thus her horse is left to romp home! She is ecstatic at having won again.

So now, of course, she totally believes in Brown’s ‘system’ . After all, he said it would always work and it has. What more proof could she need? So, Brown then tells her that she will be given one more tip for another race in about a week’s time. He instructs her to raise as much money as she possibly can as this is her chance to really make a lot of money.

Then, we see her again on the day of the race. She is clearly not well off, but she has taken out all her savings, and then gone to various family members and borrowed money from them as well. In total, she raised £4,000. This is obviously a large sum to her, and she cannot afford to lose. But, she is willing to place it all on a notoriously fickle enterprise, because she knows that ‘the system works’.

So, Brown tells her which horse has been selected and takes the money and places it on the horse and gives her the betting slip. He tells her to put it in her pocket and not to look at it. Then, he drops the bombshell. There is no system! He has tricked her. She is understandably very upset at this news. She has risked hers and her relative’s savings on a complete gamble. (Imagine that – gambling everything on a system that didn’t exist. Wouldn’t catch me doing that - D’Oh! )

Predictably, the chosen horse doesn’t win and she is devastated. But, equally predictably, she puts her hand into her pocket and pulls out a slip with the winning horse on, and walks away with £13,000.

Then, Brown explains how the trick worked, which was pretty obvious anyway. He had contacted over 7,600 people and split then into 6 groups. Each group was given a particular horse in a specific race (only races with 6 runners were chosen throughout). Then, the ones who had won were split into 6 smaller groups and so on, till we arrived at 6 people for the 5th race. Each was given a separate horse and each had their own camera crew.

So, there ws just one person for whom this system had totally worked, and over 7,600 for whom it didn’t work at all, or just partially (1/6 won on the first race, then 1/6 of that next group won and so on).

I know this is all a bit convoluted, but the point I am trying to make here is that it is all too easy to assume that just because a particular system, method or whatever has appeared to work in a limited number of cases, it doesn’t mean that it will always work or even that it is a valid system or method.

This is the trap that most Scientologists fall into. They simply look at what their experiences have been or the ‘successes’ that they have been told about. What they should be doing is saying “Well, that’s great, but how many instances are there when this didn’t work.” Obviously they won’t hear it from the others in the group as the only ones left are the ones who still believe. The others have all GTFOed. Of course, the staff could probably see how many don’t get the results and don’t carry on. But, they are given ‘reasons’ why this or that person didn’t make it (out ethics, PTS, an SP, couldn’t confront the bank, Man United supporter etc etc).

Personally, I have no doubt that parts of the Scientology ‘Tech’ can get very good results in the hands of a caring and skilled practitioner. But these results are not uniform and there are too many exceptions where results are not as claimed. And, more importantly, Scientology does not set beings free.

Of course, this is all too easy to see from this side of the fence, but how to make it clear to those still inside?

Perhaps many of those still ‘in’, will never be able to admit the truth. Even to themselves. I find this one of the saddest things. If you can’t be honest with yourself – what hope is there?

Axiom142

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Scientology doesn't set beings free. Scientology doesn't do anything. The person is supposed to do all of that using whatever information may be available to him or her. Anyone who thinks that Scientology or any religion, ology, ism or mental or spiritual technique works or does not work is missing the boat, in my opinion.

Scn is a YMMV proposition as are other things. Scn is not the only thing out there that a person can use to gain enlightenment, feel better, get his or her life in order, etc. Also, the claims and promises made by Hubbard and by some others (such as cult management) are highly inflated and inaccurate.

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scientology worked just fine for me.

No I am not a super OT, but I am a hell of a lot better than I was before I started. Light years better. And that made it all very worth while.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I had to laugh when you were writing about how our children (when we were scios) weren't taught logic or critical thinking. That was entirely a parental choice, of course. Personally, I taught my son to question absolutely everything. I have seen some seriously poor grammar and weak reasoning from some second gens, but I've seen others that could duel with Spock. I don't think this is determined by the cult, so much as by individual parents. Realize that many Scientologists are always wrestling with issues about leaving, not all are the "loyal officer" types who just take orders and march. Of course, many of these have already exited the Church. But there remain many people who haven't left yet, who will. These people aren't so dominated by their Church, and are being conscientious about providing their children with every opportunity.

Feral

Rogue male
Nice article Ax man.

Leon, I too got gains from Scn. and, no, I didn't achieve the states promised either. In fact I don't think any one did.

I had a great run on the bridge (relatively) until I got onto OTEE VII. Which cost me most of the gain I had made till then as well as $800,000 between my wife and I. It also cost us our happiness and balance in life.

I can see that there is so little of what I thought there was a lot of in Scn that I could well be like the lady who ran to scrape up $4,000 for a race.

I noticed that you got out at a point where, if I had gotten out I would feel similarly to you...That is, before you scraped up the $4,000 and lost it.

Well done Leon.

Lee_from_phx

Patron with Honors
Scientology does work.

It was created to rob people of their money, their future, their self respect, and to then enslave them.

It does that job perfectly.

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
Scientology does work.

It was created to rob people of their money, their future, their self respect, and to then enslave them.

It does that job perfectly.

Your Signature: Scientology: Like North Korea, but without UN membership.
Lee_from_phx, I am responding to the signature at the bottom of your messages:
Scientology: Like North Korea, but without UN membership.

That's a good point, scientology just doesn't own a country -- yet. If they did they'd have diplomatic immunity to the United Nations. They must have their eyes set on a South American or a Caribbean island nation. Maybe they'd set up a silent corporation called the United Churches of Hatai (sort of like scientology did when they invaded Clearwater, FL.)

I wonder who US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would anoint as foreign minister of that country.

Last edited:

jack55

Patron
mantra?

I know from my own experience and observation that a confessional works,
I find it odd that rather than tell what you observed or experienced you use a "con" game on film to make your points. I also know that if brevity isnt applied you lose your audience. Jack

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Lee_from_phx, I am responding to the signature at the bottom of your messages:
Scientology: Like North Korea, but without UN membership.

That's a good point, scientology just doesn't own a country -- yet. If they did they'd have diplomatic immunity to the United Nations. They must have their eyes set on a South American or Caribbean island nation. Maybe they'd set up a silent corporation called the United Churches of Hatai (sort of like scientology did when they invaded Clearwater, FL.)

I wonder who US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would anoint as foreign minister of that country.

He tried for Rhodesia and later for Morocco. He failed both times.

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
...I know from my own experience and observation that a confessional works...
Blackmailing people with information from their confessional files works too, by scientology's OSA, and we have heard numerous accounts of it on ESMB. I've also heard many accounts on ESMB where the auditing rooms are bugged. And if your (scientology or freezone) rooms are bugged, while you were doing an auditing session, you wouldn't necessarily know, would you? Neither could you be sure if confessional PC files were being accessed for illicit reasons. So I'd just like to hear you address these issues. These seem like fair issues that you may encounter as you're selling services to all of those prospects.

Last edited:

Eddie

Patron
Scientology may not work. but my magical lucky marble surely does. Ever since I found it my life has just got better and better.

People try to tell me that it is just the placebo effect, but what would they know.

My lucky marble is magic and it does work. I am living proof of that.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
I know from my own experience and observation that a confessional works,
I find it odd that rather than tell what you observed or experienced you use a "con" game on film to make your points. I also know that if brevity isnt applied you lose your audience. Jack

Wikipedia gives a good description of the meaning of ‘mantra’:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantra

“In the Indian religions, a mantra (Devanāgarī …) is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that are considered capable of "creating transformation" (cf. spiritual transformation).”

And,

“In short, "mantra" in English carries a negative connotation of 'mindless or thoughtless repetition of a concept,' similar to the negative connotations associated with the term ‘dogma.’”

The latter is closest to the meaning of the word as used in my earlier post. The key part being: “'mindless or thoughtless repetition of a concept”.

I used this word very deliberately to describe the unthinking use of the phrase ‘Scientology works!’ Unthinking because it is my observation that often those who use it indiscriminately don’t really stop to consider what it means.

If someone believes in the efficacy of Scientology – fine, I don’t have a problem with this. They have a right to think what they want. But, when someone seeks to end any and all debate as to the workability of Scientology with the tired old refrain of “Scientology works!”, then they shouldn’t be surprised if I challenge them to substantiate their claim.

You say that “confessionals work”. Well OK, how about telling us what that actually means?

From my own personal experience, there is definitely some measure of relief that can be gained from carrying out a confessional on an area of one’s life that requires it. But equally, I have observed that forcing someone to own up to overts that weren’t really overts or to look at areas that weren’t causing a problem in order to find something that the auditor thinks may exist, but doesn’t, is a very sure-fire way to send someone spinning into a very deep and dark pit of despair.

I know this, because I’ve been there.

Now, a True Believer would probably say “Well that isn’t really Scientology”. But, from my experience, auditing that makes you feel worse constitutes a very good proportion, if not most of the auditing that I’ve been on the wrong end of. And this was at St Hill, supposedly the best place in the UK to receive services. Ipso facto, this is Scientology.

I don’t know why you should find it odd that I use a real, documented example of a ‘con’ (in this case a ‘foolproof system’ for winning at the races) to illustrate my point. I have described my personal experiences previously on ESMB to illustrate my points, but I thought I would use this well-known and verifiable example as it would be very easy for most people to see what was happening and there could be no question that I had made it up.

But did you get the point of my post? I’ll summarise it in case you didn’t.

Just because someone thinks that something ‘works’ because of what they have witnessed or think that they have witnessed, doesn’t mean that it does work. Scientology claims to give you a ‘system’ to let you win at every endeavour in life and to ultimately give you ‘Total Freedom’. For the vast majority of users, Scientology does not deliver.

And as for my lack of brevity, sometimes it takes more than a few words to communicate ideas properly. Sound bites may be fine for the current TV generation, but some of us like to examine things in more depth.

Besides, I like the sound of my own voice. :coolwink:

Axiom142

Feral

Rogue male
Ax man put a very interesting post on another thread, it's been really bothering me. How did Hubbard, as a 'scientist' ever think this could be true?

This is what Pat Broeker said at that event:

“I have here a worksheet from one of his sessions, ah in later in 1982. This makes up now, what is OT X – Character.”

(holds up piece of paper, with blocked out sections above and below). “When you do OT X, you’ll thank me and you’ll understand. This block that you can see, consists of a series of numbers. It’s 12 down and it’s 15 across. This there, is a date”

And here are my notes on that date:

[If date is in years, it equates to 10^180 years!!! As a comparison, the estimated number of atoms in the whole Universe is 10^80, which is 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times less than the date just mentioned!]

So, if that is an indication of how long we have been around for, how come no one worked out how to get out of this 'trap' before? Not to mention a host of other questions.

Sounds rather far-fetched when you put it like that, but to an adoring audience, it probably sounded like conclusive 'proof' of just how OT Hubbard was!

Axiom142

So, Hubbard came up with a date that is GREATER than the number of atoms in the whole universe SQUARED! That is to say that if just one atom was made each 10 ^ 80 years since that date the whole universe would have been completed 10^20 years ago.

I also remember the date from the whole track tape; :"Principal Incidents on the Track" Hubbard said the track was 150,000,000,000 years long then. Which is a lot shorter than later his assertions.

So how long is that?

To give you a graphic demonstration, the sun is 90,000,000 miles or roughly 150,000,000,000 KMs from earth. So if you left today for the sun and traveled at 1mm (1/25 of an inch) PER YEAR you would get there in 150,000,000,000 years.

In two thousand years you would be two meters or about six feet from where you are now. Well on your way to the sun! God only knows where you would be 10 ^ 180 years from now.

All of this makes as much sense to me as the seasons changing on Mars or a train racing along the 300 odd degree surface of Venus.

No wonder the dwarf hasn't released OT X.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Axiom142,

Thanks for mentioning Derren Brown. I had not heard of him before so I figured that there were probably some things on YouTube.

Here is one where he did an elaborately staged subliminal thing with some professional advertisers (please watch until the very end):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW393PMuQDQ

Amazing!

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
So, Hubbard came up with a date that is GREATER than the number of atoms in the whole universe SQUARED! That is to say that if just one atom was made each 10 ^ 80 years since that date the whole universe would have been completed 10^20 years ago.

I also remember the date from the whole track tape; :"Principal Incidents on the Track" Hubbard said the track was 150,000,000,000 years long then. Which is a lot shorter than later his assertions.

So how long is that?

To give you a graphic demonstration, the sun is 90,000,000 miles or roughly 150,000,000,000 KMs from earth. So if you left today for the sun and traveled at 1mm (1/25 of an inch) PER YEAR you would get there in 150,000,000,000 years.

In two thousand years you would be two meters or about six feet from where you are now. Well on your way to the sun! God only knows where you would be 10 ^ 180 years from now.

All of this makes as much sense to me as the seasons changing on Mars or a train racing along the 300 odd degree surface of Venus.

No wonder the dwarf hasn't released OT X.

The length of the Time Track and the age of the universe were never the same thing. Earlier universes and all that.

Mind you, it's not that I support Hubbard's dates.