What's new

How Hubbard created a 100% workable technology

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
LH, this is very interesting. I think there is something more to be considered. Probability in a series of five 6 horse races is a given. There is going to be a winner in each. Thus there is a probability that Scn works a certain % of the time, witness the number of remaining winners in the CofS. You are talking about a far longer series of winning streaks for many of these individuals. Every process run could be considered a "race". This makes for quite a series!

The question is, why are there any winners? Is it because those "winners" are ultra suggestable beings, "the upper 10th of the upper tenth of suggestable beings on the planet"? Or is it in fact actually producing some real benefit? Is this the 22% that Hubbard so often talked about. Do anything for 22% of the population and you'll get some remediation of their situation. In the early days he spoke often of the percentages of cases on which a process "worked" - the workability quotient if you will.

It seems you would like to attribute hypnosis as the underlying factor to whatever success people have in Scn processing. An interesting theory. I don't see that it has been proven - at least not to me - yet.

Your survey of ex-scios I'm afraid was not likely to have been broad enough to be meaningful - so as others do regarding the "wins" people express in Scn - relegating them to being anecdotal, I think the losses you found must also be so relegated even if they are a much larger percentage. THis brings to mind the numbers the church quotes: 8 million vs what I estimate to be actual at somewhere between 100-200 thousand.

This does bring a couple questions to mind. I know you use The Sedona Method, I found it to be interesting as well. I have to say that what struck me immediately when I listened to Hale Dwoskin was how hypnotic his voice was :) I'm not saying the method involves any hypnosis, but could'nt your same explanation be applied to it or any mental/spiritual practice in existence? That it is merely a matter of probability, some % will get something from doing anything and those will then carry on with it in the false belief it actually did something for them.

If this is the case then is man an immortal spirit or just a collection of chemical reactions? If the former then what are the capabilites of this spirit and is it possible to do anything for it? Per Hubbard these were the questions he was asking (amoung others like finding out how to make all men grovel at his feet and not know why). He seemed to find some, what seemed to me, plausible answers.

I think it is possible to test certain aspects of the tech. For example rudiments. Get 1000 people, upset each of them badly. Handle 500 of them with a rudiments session and leave the other half alone. Or if you wish add another 500 and have someone nice talk to them about the upset and compare the results from all 3 groups. It would have to be a fairly nasty upset I think but hey it's all in the name of science. :yes:

I was 1st introduced to this "100%" guru tech fraud in regards to stock-pickers, this has actually been done by some to get clients to invest large sums of money with said guru or to subscribe to his stock-picking service. Of course the scam becomes pretty clear at some point - the point were the scamee has endured enough losses/bad predictions to lose faith - (I'm sure the time required varied wildly individual to individual). While they may leave - they may never understand what has really been done to them. Your exact reason for this thread :)

Thank you for this most thought-provoking thread. I am learning a lot from many people here.

Good points. I won't bore you with taking them all up.

Not quite hypnosis, more suggestion and expectation. I think it is fairly well proved that suggest an expectation well enough and a percentage will experience what they have been told to expect or a close enough approximation so as to be identified as the expected outcome.

According to Brown suggestion is very subtle and one time he selected suggestible people by letting a public phone ring. The passers-by who picked up the phone were by selection the suggestible ones.

Have you seen the Derren Brown programme where he selected suggestible people (by the way Hubbard did this with Dianetics - he identified a target group, sci-fi fans, because obviously they are open to suggestion, otherwise they wouldn't read sci-fi would they? What's the OCA, except a selection of suggestible people?) Anyway Brown got these people and ran a "motivational" seminar with them. What he actually did was suggest that they go and steal some sweets from a shop. He watched which ones did and selected the best suggestees. The seminar then went on to implant the idea that they would rob a security van armed with a gun and he planted triggers in them. This was all done as a motivational seminar! No overt hypnotism.

Sure enough they filmed four people each holding up a security van using a gun! :melodramatic:

There are lots of examples of how he selects people open to suggestion.

I'm proposing that that is what is happening with Hubbard's tech. I wrote about this as regards my experience with the expectation generated when the HRD first came out.

All you have to do is cream off the ones who experienced the expectation and in the end .... you get cheese! :roflmao:

I agree Hale Dwoskin does sound somewhat hypnotic. I've met him several times and have drawn my own conclusions as to what is happening. I've taken part in Sedona Method twinning training session and I must say it was terribly reminiscent of Scn courses.

There is one difference, in that the Sedona Method carries a "as best you can" to the commands. There is another guy who does a version of releasing who is much more insistant and forceful. I haven't looked at his version - I've already done the forceful personality route! :melodramatic:

Nevertheless your doubt about Sedona Method or any self improvement thingy is valid and I'm sure there must be a creaming off the successes factor in all of them.

I watched and attended Sedona seminars and used my Scn experience as well as I could, to judge what was happening. I certainly observed a tendency in the releasee to sometimes say that what was happening was what they were led to believe would happen. It was sometimes like glib releasing. I was repelled by it! :melodramatic: I wanted to yell, "what's really happening to you?"

Anyway I took what I thought were the best elements of Sedona, tweaked a bit and squirelled it with other metaphysical methodologies. What I do is not really pure Sedona Method and to be fair to Hale Dwoskin he doesn't seem to mind if people alter the method to their own preference and he encourages professional therapists to incorporate any of his ideas into their thereapies. One of the things I add is to tell the person there is no "right" answer or correct outcome. If I observe them appearing to give the answer they think is the one that I want to hear, I ask them to check and tell me what "their" answer is. That works quite well. But basically I get them to the point where they can do it themselves and no longer ask me for help, as quickly as possible! Plus, I don't charge them anything! :wink2:

Anyway that's a diversion.

nw2394

Silver Meritorious Patron
I have often said how I don't regret my Scn experience at all. But I have to say that is not what I see when I view the bigger picture. I see a huge number of failures, betrayed and disappointed people who are still struggling to get over it, compared to a few winners like me. I am no longer the person blindly following the winning system that was real to me.

Yes the lady getting the winning bets was delighted! For her it was wonderful and "real". 7,775 people were disappointed. She didn't see them, just like I didn't see all the SP/PTS/NCGs.

Well, the analogy with the horse racing scam holds good if a pc makes gains or not based on purely random chance. I suggest it has more to do with the competence of the person delivering the auditing and whether or not it is being done in a safe environment etc. Thus I don't accept the analogy.

Nick

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Well, the analogy with the horse racing scam holds good if a pc makes gains or not based on purely random chance. I suggest it has more to do with the competence of the person delivering the auditing and whether or not it is being done in a safe environment etc. Thus I don't accept the analogy.

Nick

How much of a factor is it whether the placebo is mentos or tic-tac flavored?

Zinj

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron

Nick

I've never once on this thread said that it is "random chance" as to whether a PC gets gains.

I think you've misunderstood what I'm saying. The racing is well, actually, no that's not random chance either, but it has a more random element to it. The coin toss was random. Those two scenarios were used to explain the narrow, "real" experience of the experiencer. They were not meant to explain how auditing does or doesn't work! The racing and coin toss were also used to explain how ignorance of the wider picture was vital for the scam to work.

To understand my point about the "workability" of auditing you need to read the parts about expectation and suggestion and selection according to suggestibility or study someone like Derren Brown who is a master at it. See how it applies to LRH and how it doesn't.

Or don't do that! But please don't just keep posting about random chance.

You say: "competence of the person delivering the auditing and whether or not it is being done in a safe environment" well that is very relevant to the concept of suggestion and expectation.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, fine. It's not a problem.

nw2394

Silver Meritorious Patron
I've never once on this thread said that it is "random chance" as to whether a PC gets gains.

I think you've misunderstood what I'm saying. The racing is well, actually, no that's not random chance either, but it has a more random element to it. The coin toss was random. Those two scenarios were used to explain the narrow, "real" experience of the experiencer. They were not meant to explain how auditing does or doesn't work! The racing and coin toss were also used to explain how ignorance of the wider picture was vital for the scam to work.

To understand my point about the "workability" of auditing you need to read the parts about expectation and suggestion and selection according to suggestibility or study someone like Derren Brown who is a master at it. See how it applies to LRH and how it doesn't.

Or don't do that! But please don't just keep posting about random chance.

You say: "competence of the person delivering the auditing and whether or not it is being done in a safe environment" well that is very relevant to the concept of suggestion and expectation.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, fine. It's not a problem.

Well, first thing is that I don't "keep posting about random chance". I think I mentioned the word random in one post only.

Second, I don't accept that gains from auditing has anything to do with suggestion or hypnotism either. In other words, I think your original post on this thread is complete rubbish.

As far as I can see it makes a mockery of your own attitude to processing .

Nick

ExCMO

Patron
Lionheart, I have to agree with you in many points. Yes, we were sold the "100% workability." As practicing scientologists and Sea Org members we had to believe that, otherwise, our lives and work would have had no meaning at all. Even if we saw the reality of things from inside (the ever-dwingling number of public in the orgs, the increasing amount of refunds, discontent and criticism, etc.) we had to believe it was due to SPs or PTS people in the lines.

I am sure that there is stuff in Scn that actually works. But it is my belief that the reason some (or maybe a lot) of the stuff works is due to the fact that it comes from older bodies of thought (Buddhism, Veda, Christianity, even acupuncture in the case of Touch Assists). Perhaps Hubbard's greatest achievement was to put together all this philosophies and change them just in the right amount to make them look "original research". And yes, he was also charismatic. The one thing I am sure he studied deeply was how to suggest people and make them believe.

Let's get real. I had to learn the rap by heart: Hubbard was the great accomplisher. He did the huge research for Dianetics and Scientology "by himself", plus being a great photographer, pilot, seaman, writer, musician, manager, and the dozens of additional professions he "worked on". But the thing is that he did many of those things in a very "dilettante" manner. Talk about KSW.

If admin tech is so great, why are the orgs shrinking all over the world? Is it that staff (past and present) are just a bunch of SPs? Why are they so badly underpaid? Why do people leave tech lines in droves? Asking for refunds?

I was born and raised in Scn. I joined the SO at a very young age. But what I have seen in my life is that my family went to hell. My mother couldn't hold a stable marriage (in her three attempts at it). Other relatives are just going downhill in every aspect of their life. It was a very painful discovery I made after I left. It took me years to run out all those beliefs from my system. It was a very long process for me to realize that I had a blind faith in Scn and its workability, but that it wasn't working for me (and many others).

Yeah, LRH was a great illusionist. I'll give him that.

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's what happened to you in the group of "hypnotised" subjects, you behaved in the way you thought you were expected to behave. You said you "experienced" what you thought you were supposed to experience. Have you ever wondered how many others in the group of 10 said it didn't hurt because they were expected to not feel it?

Derren Brown speculates on the percentages who "actually" experience what is expected, how many "think" they experienced it and how many "pretend" to experience it. His hypothesis is that it almost doesn't matter, because to all intents and purposes they are all behaving how they are expected to behave! :)

So what you're saying is that the only reason you like ice-cream sundae is because you have been hypnotised into liking it and you are behaving as programmed.

And the only reason you don't like eating dog-poop is ditto.

And the only reason beautiful girls are great to make love to is ditto.

And the only reason you hate the CofS is the same again.

In fact the only reason you even breathe is because you've been hypnotised into thinking it's a good thing to do.

There is no self determinism in this world anywhere!

Have a happy life !

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, first thing is that I don't "keep posting about random chance". I think I mentioned the word random in one post only.

Second, I don't accept that gains from auditing has anything to do with suggestion or hypnotism either. In other words, I think your original post on this thread is complete rubbish.

As far as I can see it makes a mockery of your own attitude to processing .

Nick

Fine, no problem. :)

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Lionheart, I have to agree with you in many points. Yes, we were sold the "100% workability." As practicing scientologists and Sea Org members we had to believe that, otherwise, our lives and work would have had no meaning at all. Even if we saw the reality of things from inside (the ever-dwingling number of public in the orgs, the increasing amount of refunds, discontent and criticism, etc.) we had to believe it was due to SPs or PTS people in the lines.

I am sure that there is stuff in Scn that actually works. But it is my belief that the reason some (or maybe a lot) of the stuff works is due to the fact that it comes from older bodies of thought (Buddhism, Veda, Christianity, even acupuncture in the case of Touch Assists). Perhaps Hubbard's greatest achievement was to put together all this philosophies and change them just in the right amount to make them look "original research". And yes, he was also charismatic. The one thing I am sure he studied deeply was how to suggest people and make them believe.

Let's get real. I had to learn the rap by heart: Hubbard was the great accomplisher. He did the huge research for Dianetics and Scientology "by himself", plus being a great photographer, pilot, seaman, writer, musician, manager, and the dozens of additional professions he "worked on". But the thing is that he did many of those things in a very "dilettante" manner. Talk about KSW.

If admin tech is so great, why are the orgs shrinking all over the world? Is it that staff (past and present) are just a bunch of SPs? Why are they so badly underpaid? Why do people leave tech lines in droves? Asking for refunds?

I was born and raised in Scn. I joined the SO at a very young age. But what I have seen in my life is that my family went to hell. My mother couldn't hold a stable marriage (in her three attempts at it). Other relatives are just going downhill in every aspect of their life. It was a very painful discovery I made after I left. It took me years to run out all those beliefs from my system. It was a very long process for me to realize that I had a blind faith in Scn and its workability, but that it wasn't working for me (and many others).

It takes a long time to see the wider picture. It trook me about twenty years! :hysterical: I hope it hasn't taken you that long! :)

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
So what you're saying is that the only reason you like ice-cream sundae is because you have been hypnotised into liking it and you are behaving as programmed.

And the only reason you don't like eating dog-poop is ditto.

And the only reason beautiful girls are great to make love to is ditto.

And the only reason you hate the CofS is the same again.

In fact the only reason you even breathe is because you've been hypnotised into thinking it's a good thing to do.

There is no self determinism in this world anywhere!

Have a happy life !

No absolutely not, you've completely misunderstood me! And anyway I never used the concept "only reason" for liking or disliking anything - where did you get that concept from?

Suggestion is not programming it is not even what you are taking hypnotism to be. Read my answer to FreeToShine again. Or don't bother, that's ok with me too.

Read Derren Brown's experience as a "hypnotist" and his analysis and you'll see he says more or less what I said. The key element is expectation. So in a stage hypnotist show someone who is "hypnotised" yelps like a dog, either because he actually feels he is a dog, or because he expects to behave like a dog and so he does, or in fact he pretends to be a dog, because he wants to behave in the way he thinks the hypnotist wants him to behave. These are all examples of suggestion and expectation.

This is the conclusion of someone who is an expert in what is called "hypnoticism". His conclusion is that it isn't really what people think of as hypnotism at all.

He then takes the process out of the theatrical, artificial stage environment and uses suggestion and expection in tiny, subtle ways in "normal life". there are loads of videos of him doing this.

By the way I don't even think being suggestible is necesarily a "bad" thing. The sci-fi fans in 1949 were open to suggestion, you could hardly say that was either "bad" or "good". It just was what it was. And Hubbard exploited it with Dianetics. People who are intrigued about themsleves and so do a Personality Test are not right or wrong, they are just interested and therefore open to suggestion. Hubbard exploited it to find their ruin and bring them to an expectation that he could sort it out for them.

So Hubbard used a massive pyramid scheme in which he implanted expectation on selected suggestible people. A percentage experienced something they identifed as what they expected, the rest were discarded. that's how he achieved a 100% workable technology.

ExCMO

Patron
It takes a long time to see the wider picture. It trook me about twenty years! :hysterical: I hope it hasn't taken you that long! :)
Wow. That's a long time. It has taken me the better part of the last 12 years, and I still struggle sometimes, but not as much as I used to. Fortunately, things just keep getting better. And being here is helping me a lot to speed up the final part of the process.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

Excellent post! I totally agree.
Luckily I wasn't born into it, though other family members were. The effect on generations of a family is indescribable.

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
No absolutely not, you've completely misunderstood me! And anyway I never used the concept "only reason" for liking or disliking anything - where did you get that concept from?

Suggestion is not programming it is not even what you are taking hypnotism to be. Read my answer to FreeToShine again. Or don't bother, that's ok with me too.

Read Derren Brown's experience as a "hypnotist" and his analysis and you'll see he says more or less what I said. The key element is expectation. So in a stage hypnotist show someone who is "hypnotised" yelps like a dog, either because he actually feels he is a dog, or because he expects to behave like a dog and so he does, or in fact he pretends to be a dog, because he wants to behave in the way he thinks the hypnotist wants him to behave. These are all examples of suggestion and expectation.

This is the conclusion of someone who is an expert in what is called "hypnoticism". His conclusion is that it isn't really what people think of as hypnotism at all.

He then takes the process out of the theatrical, artificial stage environment and uses suggestion and expection in tiny, subtle ways in "normal life". there are loads of videos of him doing this.

By the way I don't even think being suggestible is necesarily a "bad" thing. The sci-fi fans in 1949 were open to suggestion, you could hardly say that was either "bad" or "good". It just was what it was. And Hubbard exploited it with Dianetics. People who are intrigued about themsleves and so do a Personality Test are not right or wrong, they are just interested and therefore open to suggestion. Hubbard exploited it to find their ruin and bring them to an expectation that he could sort it out for them.

So Hubbard used a massive pyramid scheme in which he implanted expectation on selected suggestible people. A percentage experienced something they identifed as what they expected, the rest were discarded. that's how he achieved a 100% workable technology.

OK. This is cool.

So it is not totally hypnotism and you've also said elsewhere that it is not totally random chance, so.....could you perhaps allow that just maybe some of us entered the subject, found it interesting, tried it out, had some genuine success, continued, had more success, and after thirty-eight years of that still regard the core subject as being valid and workable and are glad of our involvement with it? Could it be that some of us are not hypnotised?

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
If you read the 14 points on Emma's post about a recovery program - could it be possible that some people - and I count myself as one of them - could actually have done Scientology intensively AND have those points in all the time?

beyond_horizons

Patron Meritorious
lionheart said:
How Hubbard did it

Warning if you are a Scientologist or ex-scientologist, reading this may make you feel conned and cheated, You may become angry or sad. Don't read this if you wish to retain your faith in Hubbard's "technology".

Excellent thread LH, after having experienced the process of seperating a few grains of wheat from volumes of chaff!

Warning if you are a Game-Player or ex-Game-Player, reading this may make you feel conned and cheated, You may become angry or sad. Don't read this if you wish to retain your faith in the Games Leaders and "technology".

The 1100 soccer playing people were divided into 100 soccer teams of 11 people and each team were given a different opponent in a best of a 100 team race.

You get the idea?

A further excellent demonstration of the application and implementation of the methodology!

Appreciate the sharing and grateful to have lived long enough to see and understand the bigger picture.

:happydance:

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
OK. This is cool.

So it is not totally hypnotism and you've also said elsewhere that it is not totally random chance, so.....could you perhaps allow that just maybe some of us entered the subject, found it interesting, tried it out, had some genuine success, continued, had more success, and after thirty-eight years of that still regard the core subject as being valid and workable and are glad of our involvement with it? Could it be that some of us are not hypnotised?

You're trying to box me into the limited view that you find "Real" for you!

You're missing the pont and misinterpreting whatever I say, so I think a dialogue with you is probably pointless.

You invent interpretations of what I'm saying, which are things I'm not saying at all! The phrases "not totally hypnotism", "not totally random chance" and "some of us are not hypnotised" have no resemblance to any of my contentions!

Yes, you "found it interesting, tried it out, had some genuine success, continued, had more success, and after thirty-eight years of that still regard the core subject as being valid and workable and are glad of our involvement with it" just like the lady who had genuine success with the 100% successful tips that she was given. She enjoyed it too.

Let's stop ping ponging the same points backwards and forwards, it is pointless. You don't get what I'm saying and that is completely ok.

I'm happy to discuss my posts with anybody and will expand ideas with them, but not if what I am saying is being twisted and misinterpreted, that's pointless.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Excellent thread LH, after having experienced the process of seperating a few grains of wheat from volumes of chaff!

A further excellent demonstration of the application and implementation of the methodology!

Appreciate the sharing and grateful to have lived long enough to see and understand the bigger picture.

:happydance:

It's been an interesting journey hasn't it! Moving out and viewing the bigger picture is rather painful, especially if you had a lot of fulfilled expectations in the limited picture.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
OK. This is cool.

Leon -

Hypnosis is simply a technology that allows you, yourself, to focus on one idea, thoroughly and without distraction, allowing the idea to get deeply enough into your universe to transform your inner world. And when your inner world is transformed, you see the outer world differently.

This is not becoming a robot, under the orders of something or someone else. That is what Hubbard told you hypnosis was. He was simply distracting you from what he himself was doing. Hypnosis had a bad rep in the early fifties and he wanted to position Dn as the OPPOSITE of it.

You are not the only Scientologist to be insulted when they are told that Dn and Scn auditing are a form of hypnotherapy. No attempt to insult actually exists. Your feeling of insult comes from the false definition you have for hypnosis, which was given to you by LRH, and by stage hypnotists.

Please be willing to learn more about hypnosis from sources other than LRH. That tends to handle the insulted feeling and allows for more intelligent points to emerge in the conversation.

It also expands your understanding of the human mind.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well said Alanzo. Also there are two main aspects being discussed on this thread. One is the number crunching aspect of the Pyramid to Total Failure, which was maintained by disconnection and ensuring people's view remained restricted.

The other aspect in the thread is how Hubbard used suggestion to increase the percentage of people who got gains at each stage and continued funding Hubbard's 100% workable scam.

Last edited:

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Leon -

Hypnosis is simply a technology that allows you, yourself, to focus on one idea, thoroughly and without distraction, allowing the idea to get deeply enough into your universe to transform your inner world. And when your inner world is transformed, you see the outer world differently.

This is not becoming a robot, under the orders of something or someone else. That is what Hubbard told you hypnosis was. He was simply distracting you from what he himself was doing. Hypnosis had a bad rep in the early fifties and he wanted to position Dn as the OPPOSITE of it.

You are not the only Scientologist to be insulted when they are told that Dn and Scn auditing are a form of hypnotherapy. No attempt to insult actually exists. Your feeling of insult comes from the false definition you have for hypnosis, which was given to you by LRH, and by stage hypnotists.

Please be willing to learn more about hypnosis from sources other than LRH. That tends to handle the insulted feeling and allows for more intelligent points to emerge in the conversation.

It also expands your understanding of the human mind.

When were these upgraded definitions of hypnosis put forth Alanzo?