What's new

PandaTermint's question on the rights of scientologists to practice their religion

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Re: PandaTermint's question on the rights of scientologists to practice their religio

In 35 years I haven't seen that a human being has improved one bit by studying Scientology.

Love
Markus
Lol, you should have seen me before scientology. :omg:

There are actually at least 2 Members here on ESMB who could give you a "before and after" on that. Hopefully, they won't tell too many details!

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Re: PandaTermint's question on the rights of scientologists to practice their religio

Personal insults? From me? Please quote them right here, so that I can check them for anything that I might want to apologize for.

Also, Please feel free to report any personal insults from me. If you're lucky, you might even get me banned. Do I care? Nope. I'm not perfect and I may be wrong at times, but I stand for what I say, even if that gets me banned.

It's no big deal. I never report personal insults directed at me, if they bug me too much I usually say "Fuck off, idiot!" but I haven't been tempted to say that to you at all.

Just so you know these are the things you've said when directly responding to me that I find offensive;

"One has to give up rational and critical thinking completely (or almost completely) to go deeper into that than a few basic courses, IMO."

"Derail rejected, unwillingness to address my points noted."

"You may believe the "Ron the War Hero" story, I believe in the official military records."

As I said, it's no big deal, I'm a big boy. :)

FoTi

Crusader

In 35 years I haven't seen that a human being has improved one bit by studying Scientology.

Love
Markus

I've seen a lot of people benefit from good auditing with a good auditor.......but never from the control and abusive side of the CoS that one has to put up with in order to be elligible to receive the auditing. That abuse can go a long way to mess up the auditing that the person has already received and ruin their wins or gains.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

I suspect that you might mean me here, and you might have a (fairly weak) point, but most of the people who post here have suffered at the hands of Scientology, so there is an unavoidable bias in what people post about it.
Yes, Smilla, it was your posts which prompted my chain of thought. Primarily because the CofS used positioning themselves with anti-Semiticism as a Black PR campaign against Germany. It was certainly nothing personal against you, I enjoy you input here on ESMB very much. It just struck a chord with me, is all. I agree wholeheartedly about the suffering caused to many by scientology and would never seek to minimise that.

I don't mind what religion people believe in, but the minute they break the law, I want them jumped on.
I think I've made my position on this abundantly clear. I am not anti-scientology but I am definitely anti-crime/scam/abuse etc. I hold no brief for the CofS and would be perfectly happy to see it cease to exist at any given moment. I am not anti-scientology nor anti-scientologist, however, and am equally happy to allow scientologists to practice their religion as long as they do no harm.

I don't think you're arrogant at all, but I think you have your own bias just like everyone else here. Nothing wrong with that - we're human, and humans personalise things. Every judgment we make includes ourselves as a variable - there's no such thing as objectivity in human thinking. Not a bit, no matter how much some people pride themselves on their 'objective' opinions.
Of course!

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

It's no big deal. I never report personal insults directed at me, if they bug me too much I usually say "Fuck off, idiot!" but I haven't been tempted to say that to you at all.

Just so you know these are the things you've said when directly responding to me that I find offensive;

:lol: Oh my, that's what you consider personal insults?

OK, so let's see...

"One has to give up rational and critical thinking completely (or almost completely) to go deeper into that than a few basic courses, IMO."

Clearly just a statement of my personal opinion.

"Derail rejected, unwillingness to address my points noted."

Just stating the facts as I see them.

"You may believe the "Ron the War Hero" story, I believe in the official military records."

:omg:, THAT's a personal insult to you? :melodramatic:

As I said, it's no big deal,

If that's all you've got it's indeed no big deal.

I'm a big boy. :)

You may be certain of that, but I think it's OK to have doubts. :biggrin:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

:lol: Oh my, that's what you consider personal insults?

OK, so let's see...

Clearly just a statement of my personal opinion.

Just stating the facts as I see them.

:omg:, THAT's a personal insult to you? :melodramatic:

If that's all you've got it's indeed no big deal.

You may be certain of that, but I think it's OK to have doubts. :biggrin:
:whatever: Fuck off, idiot! :lol:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

Just kidding, mate. Re-read my previous post. :biggrin:
Lighten up for Chrissakes! It's not that serious.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

AGAIN? You're trying to bore me to death. I guess 'I'd have to report this harmful activity.

:coolwink:

Is there an echo in here?

Echoes are a great for people who can't find anyone else to talk to. :)

RogerB

Crusader

Just to stir things up a bit here on Panda's thread :biggrin: here is Dr. Ron Paul of US Congress and presidential campaign fame speaking on the vary subject Panda has raised :yes:

[video=youtube;A6a9549ZeqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6a9549ZeqQ&feature=related[/video]

Gadfly

Crusader

Just to stir things up a bit here on Panda's thread :biggrin: here is Dr. Ron Paul of US Congress and presidential campaign fame speaking on the vary subject Panda has raised :yes:

[video=youtube;A6a9549ZeqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6a9549ZeqQ&feature=related[/video]

Ron Paul RULES! :thumbsup:

I think this whole thread can be put into one sentence:

People should be given the right and protected in the right to believe and practice whatever he or she wants AS LONG AS HE OR SHE DOES NOT HARM ANYONE ELSE.

Others on this thread have made that point. Ron Paul also makes that point. It is a good and very important point.

Of course, the Church of Scientology has no right to exist if it commits nasties (it does), and eventually this will get resolved with the legal system. :happydance:

End of story.

The key point is in the "anyone else". What happens in this world is that some person or group thinks they know better than YOU about what is safe or harmful for YOU, and then they try to get government or police or whatever to ENFORCE LAWS and RULES that "protect you". The only problem is that you are NOT A FUCKING BABY, and it is YOUR JOB, using education, awareness and repsonsibility, to protect yourself.

Note: Of course children and the incompetent should be protected from harm where he or she can't protect themselves. But most adults are NOT incompetent (per the law at least). :confused2:

We have a society now where so many people and groups feel that they know what is right, decent, and moral FOR EVERYBODY ELSE, and they try to get "society arranged" to ensure that everybody else follows THEIR model of "the way it should be".

The folks who want to "protect people who might fall victim to Scientology" often fall into this category - where you want to make decisions for the babys. :confused2:

Prostitution and drugs are excellent examples. Both are far worse in terms of negative social effects because they are illegal. The "war on drugs" has acted to CREATE a scene where there is MUCH more trouble than if there were no such "war" at all. One needs to study about this stuff to make an intelligent decision. Many simply react emotionally, and have never actually taken a serious look into the many studies that have been done in these areas. "Oh, drugs are bad always". "Whores should be stoned to death".

Thanks for posting the video Rog! :clap:

Of course, the above is the "simple" explanation.

To play devil's advocate to myself (something I do commonly), this is a fundamental key notion of freedom outlined by the Founding Father's:

With Freedom comes responsibility.

We, at least in the USA, we live in a very irresponsible society, and many people are uneducated, had a poor upbringing, and exist in a society that pushes the notion at many turns that "we will take care of you". So, the question is this? Without competent aware responsibility how is freedom possible?

It's not. :unsure:

"Responsibility" by individuals is an "ideal" that often does NOT exist in the way it is used in philosophical discussions. This one point could take up an entire book.

This thread, among other things, is a wonderful example of how arguments often get into debates over "ideals" versus "reality" (with those pushing the views often NOT differentiating between the two). I will leave it to the reader to do the differentiating about this. I myself have slipped back and forth between "ideals" and "reality" in my above post.

Last edited:

RogerB

Crusader

Thanks for your reply, Gadfly :biggrin: I see your brilliance shining through as usual:yes:

One of my favorite quotes is one from Ben Franklin: "It is not always right to do what one has a right to do."

Life, I find, is a game of balanced judgments.

R

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

Well, this video doesn't stir me up too much. It's about freedom of choice, which mostly I agree with. But what is freedom of choice worth without freedom of information? So as long as the cult has secret scriptures and secret practices, the freedom of choice isn't useless, it's harmful.

So once all the information is on the table and freely accessible by anyone who's interested, I'll think about freedom of choice. Until then: Meh. Why bother?

Gadfly

Crusader

Well, this video doesn't stir me up too much. It's about freedom of choice, which mostly I agree with. But what is freedom of choice worth without freedom of information? So as long as the cult has secret scriptures and secret practices, the freedom of choice isn't useless, it's harmful.

So once all the information is on the table and freely accessible by anyone who's interested, I'll think about freedom of choice. Until then: Meh. Why bother?

Christ on a stick, "secrecy" goes on anywhere.

Freedom of choice refers to an INDIVIDUAL.

There will probably never be "total access to all truthful information". We would have to shut down the intelligence services of every government that hides information and sends out contrived information as a daily function. That will NEVER happen. We would have to shut down the major media outlets, that act to GREATLY distort "accurate information". People get accurate information by LOOKING for it. By WORKING hard at learning to differentiate between truth and lies.

People, as individuals, have the RIGHT to try to gather and know "truth", but there will always be some person or some group trying to sell you lies. THAT is THEIR "freedom". Sad, but true. You can't legislate human decency.

People need to stop being idiots. THAT is the ONLY real answer.

Yes, in the tight restrictive environment of the cult of Scientology, there is NOT "freedom of information", and there is NOT "freedom to look freely". But each person DOES have the freedom to be there or not. Cripes, it kills me that people don't/can't see this. Maybe this is a "liberal" thing? Where the poor extremist left-wingers like to blame everybody else for his or her own dumb choices and results? :confused2:

But, on the WORLD stage, at least in many countries, you DO HAVE THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE WHERE TO BE. This will be unpopular for some, but any person who CHOOSES TO STAY IN THE SEA ORG AND SUBMIT THEMSELVES TO THE RPF is making that free choice. Sure, I think Scientology is loony-tunes for having an RPF, but I also think that the person who STAYS THERE and submits his or herself to the RPF is a dummy of major proportions. The person who happily stays on the RPF, imagining oneself to be "addressing my sorry degarded state and tendenies to produce overt products", exists in a SELF-CREATED mental world of very strange (Scientology-based) ideas. You can't stop people from accepting and believing whatever nonsense he or she desires.

There are TWO things going on here. The scammer, AND the "dupe". As I have said before, it does take a very special kind of stupid to choose to STAY in the oppressive environment of Scientology.

Choosing to be and stay in an RPF is far different than being herded into ovens at the force of a gun in a Nazi concentration camp.

Yes, Scientology DOES contain extensive mind control, but YOU have the CHOICE whether to be there and ACCEPT the mind control techniques. Or not.

Accurate information IS AVAILABLE on the Internet. If some Sea Org member wants to place him or herself in a ruthless environment where the Interent is forbidden, well, whose fault is it?

Scientology sucks. It sucks big time. But grown adults have the RIGHT to choose to put themselves into that oppressive environment.

My big day of realization was when, back in about 1984, I said to myself, "why do I allow myself to stay in this crazy environment that places such insane pressures and demands on me"? So, I left the Sea Org. I could see that as long as I stayed "in that environment", that it would always be nuts. But, some stay. Grown adults are free to make that choice. You might not like it, it IS sad what happens to some people, we can continue to expose Hubbard and Scientology (as is OUR free right), but adults have the right to be idiots and morons if they choose (as long as they, as an individual, do not hurt anybody).

I have used this analogy before. If you stand in the way of an oncoming train, and fail to move out of the way, whose fault is it? :confused2:

It is NOT the train's fault. People who are too blind, dumb, or caught up in some crazy mixture of beliefs and "delusional helping of others" make the mistake of not being able to see the train coming.

People, in the end, need to accept where they place themselves, and if you place yourself in a destructive environment, ultimately, it is your fault.

I know that view is too severe for some.

There are MANY dangers in life. Scammers, tricksters, and liars. No government will EVER be able to "outlaw them all", simply because more will just appear. The real solution is for people to get bright and aware enough to spot them when they appear, and to have NOTHING to do with them. Move out of the way of the fast-coming train.

Or, don't. But don't moan, complain and whine about it when the train flattens you or somebody else who CHOSE to remain in that place.

There is no doubt that Scientology takes great advantage of the freedoms guaranteed in "democratic societies". But I would rather have that than the alternative - no freedoms at all. :yes:

Lastly, some of us here on ESMB continue to expose various aspects of the scam of Scientology as best we can, and by doing that we can help some "see the train coming as the dangerous train that it is". Then maybe they will step off the tracks (leave Scientology).

Last edited:

Markus

Silver Meritorious Patron

I've seen a lot of people benefit from good auditing with a good auditor.......but never from the control and abusive side of the CoS that one has to put up with in order to be elligible to receive the auditing. That abuse can go a long way to mess up the auditing that the person has already received and ruin their wins or gains.

I have not seen any benefit for people by getting auditing - well I don't know if that auditing was good or bad - but I've met a lot of people who were getting auditing for years and years in my life - despite the auditing they changed into soulless ronbots. The auditing I received was not bad as far as I can say - I had a very friendly and decent auditor in Flag when I received auditing there in 1983 - but the results were not better than having a good conversation with a friend or having a relaxed walk in the nature.

Love
Markus

Markus

Silver Meritorious Patron

Lol, you should have seen me before scientology. :omg:

There are actually at least 2 Members here on ESMB who could give you a "before and after" on that. Hopefully, they won't tell too many details!

Well and these two members are sure that it was only Scientology who was "changing" them. I have met many people in my life who were kind of caotic in their youth then somebody helped them to bring order into their life and they changed completely. I understand your perspective - for you it looks like that Scientology helped you to find the way out of whatever mess you were in before. Are you sure that it was Scientology who helped you out? And are you sure that nobody else would have been able to help you then?
It is true - in the beginning Scientology seems to bring some order and discipline into your life - but in the long term you will find that you are a slave for Hubbard - and of course it is very important to have discipline in an organization if you want to control a lot of slaves.

Love
Markus

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

. . . Yes, Scientology DOES contain extensive mind control, but YOU have the CHOICE whether to be there and ACCEPT the mind control techniques. Or not . . .

There is at least one person who, perhaps, is slightly more qualified than your own fine self, who would disagree as to whether person in Scientology really does have a choice. Does your conclusion, for example, apply to someone who knows nothing other than Scientology? Also, your point above is based, I think, on the assumption that the person knows beforehand and agrees to being subject to mind-control. Bit tricky to give "informed consent" when you don't even know mind-control is in operation starting right from the entry-level TRs.

Rather than the on-coming train, when it comes to Scientology, the better analogy is the poor old boiled frog.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

Perhaps you're right, Gadfly.
When we hear that friends beat up friends because David Miscavige ordered them to do so, we shouldn't care, because it's their choice.

When we hear that people are water boarded and tortured to the point where their life is in danger, because David Miscavige ordered it, we shouldn't care, because it's their choice.

When unborn children are killed because "it's the best for the greatest number of dynamics", we shouldn't care, because it's their parent's choice.

The list could go on and on and we shouldn't care, because it's the people's choice.

What a wonderful world...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzJY96m3lkg