What's new

Laura DeCrescenzo forced-abortion lawsuit updates

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
1. Still no news on whether or not a new judge has been appointed to this case.

2. On April 11, 2014, the defendant(s)/respondent(s) filed a Motion to Compel, along with a Statement of Facts and Declaration.

What they want the Plaintiff 'compelled' to do or not do isn't provided -- nor what issue(s) the 'facts' relate to or who wrote/executed the declaration.

This case was filed in April 2009. *sigh*

JB

A Case Management Conference has been scheduled for May 21, 2014 for this case.
And a Hearing re: "Motion to Compel Production of Documents" is now scheduled for July 10, 2014.

Nothing on the online docket states a new judge has been appointed/named, but if they're scheduling hearings, then I suppose a judge is (or will be soon) appointed.

JB

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
From the Bunker:

Moving on to new developments in Laura DeCrescenzo’s forced-abortion lawsuit against the Church of Scientology. We noticed that some new filings had been made in the case by Scientology’s attorneys, and tracked down copies of what they’ve submitted.

Scientology has filed a motion to compel, claiming that Laura, in a deposition, mentioned that she had a computer stored in her garage that she no longer uses. The church demands access to the machine, and says it will hire a neutral third party firm to scan the contents of the computer’s hard drive in order to find any relevant documents.

We’ll let you know if Laura’s legal team objects to what sounds like a fishing expedition to us.
http://tonyortega.org/2014/04/24/sc...-lawsuit-laura-d-asked-to-turn-over-computer/

Observer • 2 hours ago

Two can play that game – I think Laura should demand access to Davey's and Lou's computers and Blackberries. Those are far more likely to have relevant information on them.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
A Case Management Conference has been scheduled for May 21, 2014 for this case.
And a Hearing re: "Motion to Compel Production of Documents" is now scheduled for July 10, 2014.

Nothing on the online docket states a new judge has been appointed/named, but if they're scheduling hearings, then I suppose a judge is (or will be soon) appointed.

JB

Today's The Underground Bunker has a copy of the Motion to Compel and it appears TeamCSI wants to obtain the contents of an old computer purportedly used/owned by Laura DeCrescenzo.
Link to today's The Underground Bunker: http://tonyortega.org/2014/04/24/sc...-lawsuit-laura-d-asked-to-turn-over-computer/

It's not clear when TeamLaura is required to file a Response to this Motion, but I'd guess they have a few weeks.

Also, the TeamCSI's Motion caption is addressed to: Hon. Robert Michael Johnson, Dept. 56.

Is Judge Johnson the new judge for this case? :confused2:

JB

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Today's The Underground Bunker has a copy of the Motion to Compel and it appears TeamCSI wants to obtain the contents of an old computer purportedly used/owned by Laura DeCrescenzo.
Link to today's The Underground Bunker: http://tonyortega.org/2014/04/24/sc...-lawsuit-laura-d-asked-to-turn-over-computer/

It's not clear when TeamLaura is required to file a Response to this Motion, but I'd guess they have a few weeks.

Also, the TeamCSI's Motion caption is addressed to: Hon. Robert Michael Johnson, Dept. 56.

JB

I'd say that now would be about a good time for a Little Johnnie joke.

Rd00

The_Fixer

Class Clown
I know what you say'in Knows,

but believe it or not the court system has their hands tied behind their backs and at the same time wants to administer justice, properly per the laws of the land.

I've been involved in a few court cases. A few against me, and as a juror.

Being a juror is hard. One has to really think if the person is guilty or not, from the evidence provided by both sides.

It's an eye opener.

Once, while in court, waiting for my case, the previous case had just expired. The Judge said guilty, the guilty person was immediately handcuffed and taken to jail. That's it, freedom was lost for this person, right then and there.

What does that mean, well, the person, if she had a dog or cat or kid was now left alone, unless the person had provisions for such.

It's an eye opener.

Yeah things are a little different when real people with real lives are involved and not a newspaper article over a cup of coffee.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien

JB

There was a hearing scheduled to occur yesterday in this case.
Does anyone know if it took place, and if so, what happened?

JB

JBWriter

Happy Sapien

JB

The above Motion to Compel (re: an old computer) was scheduled for a Hearing tomorrow, July 10, 2014, but I no longer see that Hearing on the Court's online docket.

The July 25, 2014 Status Conference Hearing is still listed, so perhaps the new judge would like to listen to each side's version of where this case is... before he has to hear the respective parties' positions on whether or not TeamLaura must produce an old computer.

tl;dr = Maybe a Hearing tomorrow, maybe not.

JB

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
The above Motion to Compel (re: an old computer) was scheduled for a Hearing tomorrow, July 10, 2014, but I no longer see that Hearing on the Court's online docket.

The July 25, 2014 Status Conference Hearing is still listed, so perhaps the new judge would like to listen to each side's version of where this case is... before he has to hear the respective parties' positions on whether or not TeamLaura must produce an old computer.

tl;dr = Maybe a Hearing tomorrow, maybe not.

JB

The Status Conference Hearing has (again) been postponed to August 6, 2014 @ 8:30 a.m.

JB

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Good one!

DeCrescenzo's attorney John Blumberg convinced Judge Richard Rico to remove himself from the case due to the jurist's social relationship with LA Superior Court Judge Leslie Swain and her husband Bert Deixler, who is an attorney for the church. Blumberg explained he did not believe Rico would have been biased but that he perhaps could have been "unconsciously favorable" in rulings due to his friendship with Deixler and Swain.

It's now up to the court's presiding judge to reassign the case, perhaps in as early as two weeks, reports City News Service.