What's new

Live by the Celebrity, Die by the Celebrity. . .

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

As the saying goes: "Live by the sword, die by the sword!"

In an incredibly high-risk, all-or-nothing, strategy, Scientology has staked its entire cult's survival on celebrities.

This is the quintessential double-edged sword.

It worked for a quarter century.

But, like all Kamikazee tactics, it was a desperation stratagem borne out of tech that did not work. The de-facto testimonial of a tiny handful of celebs (Cruise, Travolta, Kirstie....) was all that has been propping up the failing cult after "NOTS" and "SOLO NOTS" and "OT VIII" failed to deliver any OTs.

Here we are in September 2012, 62 years after Hubbard penned his first hoax called Dianetics and "Clear" with Tom Cruise and John Travolta as the two remaining power celebs, and both are failing miserably and being internationally humiliated.

Is this "total cause"?

Tom Cruise being the punchline of every joke, after his couch jumping, Matt Lauer attacking, Brooke Shield degrading, KSW viral videoing, Katie divorcing, bride-auditing meltdown?

John Travolta's face (and ass) across the face of tabloid covers, with gay lovers, former secretaries and sex-abuse victims alike blowing the whistle?

ScreenShot2012-09-04at80820PM.png

Now what, Scientology?

Your high-stakes poker bluff has been called and you have to lay your cards down.

What cards are you holding? OT "Total Cause" celeb cards that are total effect?

What will you do now?

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
As far as a money making cult ripoff scheme goes, the Cof$ had a good run. Actually, a great run. DM should consider disbanding and rebranding. This is the 21st century, cult-lite is the way to go. But I'm sure they will thrash till the bitter end.

Pete

Demented LRH

Patron Meritorious
I think that CoS gave up on the attempts to attract more celebrities to the cult. Instead they are donating money to the political campaigns of the politicians who are sympathetic to the cult.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

[video]http://youtu.be/Bpn9daBzjIs[/video]

" . . . ♫ ♪ I'm a bit transgressive and suppressive as well
Well you ain't seen nothin' yet

Am I a disruption to your corruption?
You ain't seen nothin' yet . . . ♪ ♫

Daddy knew best . . .

rNv2M.jpg

Smilla

Ordinary Human
You are so right Hoaxie.

The 'PR Battle' is lost, and there is no chance of recovery - nothing in Hubbard's Toxic Tek that they can apply that will be of any help. In fact, whatever they try will only make it worse.

When it comes to celebrities the public don't care much, seeing them as playthings rather than role models.

Mr Tom Cruise Scientologist - Top Dunce, your OT status has been revoked by a world full of wogs.

BardoThodol

Silver Meritorious Patron
Damn! Looking at the picture of Travolta swimming nude, with that big round black hole... That's the biggest gaper I've ever seen!

BardoThodol

Silver Meritorious Patron
It's not that he's gay. Big deal. Who cares? Certainly no one in Hollywood anymore.

It's just the lies. Lies make a person look far more ridiculous than what's being lied about.

Being honest makes a person more real. Even the kinky stuff.

HelluvaHoax!

As far as a money making cult ripoff scheme goes, the Cof$ had a good run. Actually, a great run. DM should consider disbanding and rebranding. This is the 21st century, cult-lite is the way to go. But I'm sure they will thrash till the bitter end.

Pete

Actually at one point the COS (Miscavige) hired the top branding expert and author of "Positioning the Battle for your Mind" and other legendary books which comprise the virtual Bible of how to re-brand or fix a brand. Hubbard even recommended that book for his marketing people.

But what happened when they called in the brilliant team that turned so many companies around?

They exhaustively evaluated the badly damaged brand called Scientology. After much effort they determined that Scientology would be best served to re-brand under a new name (amongst other common sense advice).

Naturally for having given masterful recommendations which were precisely geared to help Scientology emerge as a new brand and make an earnest bid for public acceptance) they were promptly fired.

That story is chronicled here on ESMB and other places. The last post I remember about it was by Karen #1 who was on the lines for that total FAIL response (predictably) by the COS.

HelluvaHoax!

I think that CoS gave up on the attempts to attract more celebrities to the cult. Instead they are donating money to the political campaigns of the politicians who are sympathetic to the cult.

That's a guarantee fail when politicians soon realize that Scientology is the anti-Christ when it comes to voter popularity.

Endorsement by world's most despised religion (by Gallup Polls) is not a good thing to have when the opposing party candidates are campaigning against you. LOL

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
Actually at one point the COS (Miscavige) hired the top branding expert and author of "Positioning the Battle for your Mind" and other legendary books which comprise the virtual Bible of how to re-brand or fix a brand. Hubbard even recommended that book for his marketing people.

But what happened when they called in the brilliant team that turned so many companies around?

They exhaustively evaluated the badly damaged brand called Scientology. After much effort they determined that Scientology would be best served to re-brand under a new name (amongst other common sense advice).

Naturally for having given masterful recommendations which were precisely geared to help Scientology emerge as a new brand and make an earnest bid for public acceptance) they were promptly fired.

That story is chronicled here on ESMB and other places. The last post I remember about it was by Karen #1 who was on the lines for that total FAIL response (predictably) by the COS.

I remember reading about that somewhere in a hardcopy book, possibly the Bent Corydon book, but yes, that is out there, that some folk were called in for consulting and their suggestions were rejected.

As late as the late 80's, the Cof$ could have turned things around with their dianetics campaign, the one orchestrated by Jeff Hawkins. But, as per Jeff's account of the story, their follow-up sucked because there was nobody who was looking at the big picture, just a bunch of individuals looking at their own stats only. HOWEVER ... they would still have a problem ... and that is the Xenu story and all the beetees. And that is a problem due to the web, which is here to stay.

Scientology can't remain Scientology without Xenu and the beetees. Xenu and the beetees simply don't fly in the age of the internet, information gets around too quickly. Before the internet, the top seekrit oatee levels could have been about Jack climbing up the beanstalk, but, with the web, forget about it. Then is then, now is now. They have to get rid of Xenu and the beetees. They have to get rid of the discredited HubTurdian bio since too many folks know the true bio. They can't get rid of that baggage without rebranding. They can't rebrand with DM still around and with the last of the HubTurd era die-hard Klingons, as in still clinging on. Anyways, phuggem.

Pete

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's a guarantee fail when politicians soon realize that Scientology is the anti-Christ when it comes to voter popularity.

Endorsement by world's most despised religion (by Gallup Polls) is not a good thing to have when the opposing party candidates are campaigning against you. LOL

That has the makings of an excellent political dirty trick! For instance ... the Obamanistas could create some rumor, with some instigated action to make it seem credible, of the Cof$ merging with the Mormon church. That might do a number on the Romulans.

Pete

guanoloco

As-Wased

I would like to read about this, specifically Karen's comments.

Weren't the recommendations something like three in nature?

1) lose L. Ron
2) change the brand name
3) upgrade quarters

Looks like 3 was grabbed and ran with.

I think that's what I remember were the recommendations.

phenomanon

Canyon
I remember reading about that somewhere in a hardcopy

(snip)

As late as the late 80's, the Cof$ could have turned things around with their dianetics campaign, the one orchestrated by Jeff Hawkins. But, as per Jeff's account of the story, their follow-up sucked because there was nobody who was looking at the big picture, just a bunch of individuals looking at their own stats only. HOWEVER ... they would still have a problem ... and that is the Xenu story and all the beetees. And that is a problem due to the web, which is here to stay.

Pete

There were a lot of new ppl coming into the LA Org as a result of Jeff's superb Dianetics campaign.

What happened was that instead of getting these new ppl started on Dianetics, they were routed onto the PTS/SP course.

Most of the new peeps wandered off without buying.

Another stoopid decision by CoS.

phenomanon

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
There were a lot of new ppl coming into the LA Org as a result of Jeff's superb Dianetics campaign.

What happened was that instead of getting these new ppl started on Dianetics, they were routed onto the PTS/SP course.

Most of the new peeps wandered off without buying.

Another stoopid decision by CoS.

phenomanon

Huh? Sounds like a wise decision by the new peeps.