What's new

LRH best single lectures, what do you suggest?

Ali.G

Patron
Hey,

while I was still a Scientologist, I was very eager to buy tape sets, as I believed that THERE you could find something more about OT abilities while still being a low-level preclear.

What I have found actually is that Ron's lectures vary very much: there are those brilliant, actually fun to listen but many other are actually really really boring and not worth to listen. Sometimes the guy was able to communicate, to transmit his ideas, while sometimes you could clear any and all the words and still say "What the fuck does he mean? Does he have a point?". Still, some lectures are just about sci-fi and nothing more, something you say, "yes ok, but how on earth will I get to realize if it's real or total bullshit?", while some talk about tech and principles, where it is possible to judge the stuff and maybe say "Fuck! This seems to work!"

Now, the guy has recorded something like 3.000 or 5.000 tapes. How many are actually worth listening? Some will say 0 (of course), but I dissent.

Now I don't have the tapes with me, but, as far as I'm concerned, the "Expansion of Havingness" set was a fairly enjoyable congress, and while I don't remember exactly the single lecture which impressed me the most, the way overts, withholds, havingness, valences and gpms are described in the whole congress let one understand pretty well the stuff and, in the end, be able to say whether it is all bullshit or something good is in there.

Same with The Melbourne Congress, as soon as I can, I'll point out the single good lectures I personally liked.

My question is then: is there any of you who can point out good lectures and good sets that might actually be worth listening to?

You can talk as well about sets you didn't like, in particular if you say why.

Just please don't come here and say that none is good, that Scientology is all bad, that it is good but in the end it is bad because it is a trap, these are all viewpoints I can accept but that don't help me at all in what I'm trying to understand.

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
I used to love listening to his lectures on car trips etc. Since I left I haven't had the desire to -- I tried once and just couldn't do it. But my favorite lecture -- I think I wore the tape out -- was the first in the Phoenix lectures where he outlined the history of religion on this planet. I have no idea if I'd still find it interesting, but at the time I really liked that one.

-TL

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
Power of Choice and Self Determinism.

This lecture made me realize that Scn went off the rails, and that it wasn't ok to be forced or threatened to donate, join staff or attend events!

Very difficult to find this cassette lecture, and was told it was pulled off the bookstore shelves by a staff member.

Mystic

Crusader
RJ 67, The Wall of Fire. In this lecture Mr. Hubbard finally reveals his fall into hallucination from which he never recovered, and that he has been misleading, lying, hallucinating, and generally full of BS all the while.

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
RJ 67, The Wall of Fire. In this lecture Mr. Hubbard finally reveals his fall into hallucination from which he never recovered, and that he has been misleading, lying, hallucinating, and generally full of BS all the while.

Isn't that the level where sane people laugh like no tomorrow and get pains in their side from laughing exhaustion? Not going any further than the "Fuck this Bullshit" level, I am not fully up to speed with RJ45. (That's ethernet cable)

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I really liked one particular lecture of Hubbard's, where he was discussing one route to OT actually being to run Objective Processes to EP, alternated with running Overts/Withholds (and their justifiers) to EP. I think this actually is a very valid combination that would result in a person becoming more willing to reach, and also being more grounded in reality.

I don't remember the name of the lecture, but I think it was one of the first few on "The Wall of Tapes" associated with Class VI.

Two tapes I enjoy very much are auditor training tapes on "Missed Withholds" and "Missed Missed Withholds".

PDCs are often entertaining.

Mark A. Baker

Minuet #1 in G

Patron with Honors
To go off the topic a little here, I used to listen to lectures on my long country car trips, All the congress lectures, and all the ACC lectures that I had (about 5 or 6 sets) But I dont listen to LRH any more. My fav congress was Games and ACC was Games of OT.

Recently been listening to this series:

http://www.unfetteredmind.org/audio/podretreat.php?code=WS#here

Lecture 3 of the Warrior's Solution put ethics into a whole new light for me. Was very interesting after the scientological viewpoint. All these lectures are freely available and distributable with attribution, so no copyright infringements here. Id stack this one up against any favs of LRH. Sound quality is a bit iffy unfortunately, and best to listen to with headphones or earplugs on.

Cheers
Min

Carmel

Crusader
Two tapes I enjoy very much are auditor training tapes on "Missed Withholds" and "Missed Missed Withholds".

PDCs are often entertaining.

Mark A. Baker
Me too, Mark! (at least, at the time :coolwink: )

A lot of it made sense, and it was kinda like a "right indication" after seeing and copping it from Execs, who used that 'tech' to make wrong when they clearly didn't know what that tech or a 'missed withold' was about. :giggle:

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Not in promotion, but the more interesting ones I listened to were the PDC tapes.
I got through all of them over several days sitting in Qual.

Blue Spirit

Silver Meritorious Patron
A Few Come To Mind

I really liked one particular lecture of Hubbard's, where he was discussing one route to OT actually being to run Objective Processes to EP, alternated with running Overts/Withholds (and their justifiers) to EP. I think this actually is a very valid combination that would result in a person becoming more willing to reach, and also being more grounded in reality.
I don't remember the name of the lecture, but I think it was one of the first few on "The Wall of Tapes" associated with Class VI.

I liked that one too, and felt I'd crack my case with it, only one can't get

passed the evaluative C/Sing long time since. :grouch:

I also liked "Scientology and Effective Knowledge" which takes one to THE Basic.

"The Free Being" is very good, except for the fact that the postulated

outcome is doomed for this time around and likely forever.

The "Decision" lecture from the Route To Infinity tapes is excellent.

"The Rule of the Weaker Valence" is quite applicable in many cases.

Veda

Sponsor
No one particular lecture. I liked his 1954 period lectures (Phoenix). Later, through Scientology old timers, I discovered that Hubbard had added Peyote to his usual drug cocktail mix at that time. I would agree with ex-Scientologist and editor of many of Hubbard's 1950s books, John Sanborn, that Hubbard reached "peak brilliance" in Phoenix. http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=137009&postcount=58

When I first listened to the PDC lectures, I had been collecting and reading books by Aleister Crowley for about a year. I was surprised to hear Hubbard repeating phrases and entire lines from Crowley's writings.

A few years later, I did a fairly thorough review of many of Hubbard's lectures (I had access to a large reel to reel tape collection at a break away Mission), and Hubbard sounded different than he did when I was was IN Scientology.

There's a confidential taped briefing (1969) where he described his marshall arts skills to a bunch of private investigators he had hired, and it was odd that he wanted to appear "manly" - odd for a "Clear" and "OT," at least. Around the same period, in another confidential briefing, he described his 2nd wife Sara as a Russian spy named Sara Komkosadamanov.

And Hubbard's Class 8 lectures, from a year earlier, are notable. http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=177122&postcount=41

An interesting fellow. He sure talked a lot. :)

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Veda said:
I liked his 1954 period lectures (Phoenix).

The Phoenix Lectures were published in a book as I am sure you know.

Veda said:
When I first listened to the PDC lectures, I had been collecting and reading books by Aleister Crowley for about a year. I was surprised to hear Hubbard repeating phrases and entire lines from Crowley's writings.

I am interested in reading any quotes you have on that. :)

Ali.G

Patron
I liked that one too, and felt I'd crack my case with it, only one can't get

passed the evaluative C/Sing long time since. :grouch:

I also liked "Scientology and Effective Knowledge" which takes one to THE Basic.

"The Free Being" is very good, except for the fact that the postulated

outcome is doomed for this time around and likely forever.

The "Decision" lecture from the Route To Infinity tapes is excellent.

"The Rule of the Weak Valence" is quite applicable in many cases.

I've just listened actually to "The Rule of the Weak Valence", it is a good one. Ron was in a good shape, the tape is enjoyable, and the concepts powerful. Some have allegedly said it may contain OT IX and X material, and that this is the reason why it has been apparently left out of the new "Responsibility and the State of OT" CD set (does anybody have confirmation of its being left out?)
Some of the lectures you mentioned are part of the Classic tapes. There the Management has done some right choices (not all by the way).

I hope I'll be able to listening more lectures and maybe update my first thread with some scoring of listened tapes.
The best would be to make a sort of database with rating, best quotes, a summary of the main concepts and a description of what is good and bad about the lecture. Part of this was actually done by SCN itself, when they got out with I guess it was the Golden Age of Tech for lectures. That stuff is a bit pricy and out of reach though, as you can get it only by attending courses on the Freewinds :(

Ali.G

Patron
Power of Choice and Self Determinism.

This lecture made me realize that Scn went off the rails, and that it wasn't ok to be forced or threatened to donate, join staff or attend events!

Very difficult to find this cassette lecture, and was told it was pulled off the bookstore shelves by a staff member.

Haha, I do agree with you, the lecture tells some simple but fairly objective concepts that are totally reasonable. The way in which staff treats people goes against that. They actually go for pandetermism, problem is many of them do it at the wrong level of the tone scale, "in valence" and with false purposes ("guys, we really need to get this donation, otherwise my stat will go down and I will be punished"). We know where applying tech in the wrong way can lead to. And beware not all bulletins is tech, bulletins that work are tech, bulletins which hurt you, your family, your organizations or the world, IS NOT TECH. Despite written by the same person, who to me is nor a guru nor a god, thus not to be followed 100%.

I believe the lecture was reissued in CD form in the classic set, where you could buy single lectures. I don't know if they still sell such CDs, if they do though it should be fairly available (to people willing to visit an org, here on the net, I don't know what we can find).

Don't remember though if it was a nice or a boring lecture. It is definitely though something I will look back to, if I can find it again.

Ali.G

Patron

I actually do agree with you in some way. Going much on "sci-fi and esoteric dogmas" is a sign to me that Ron probably had something which was unresolved in his case.

In a lecture he says that "some parts of the mind are better left unentered". It sure is like that, if you can restim them and are not able to "key-out".

He says he got sick after running this episode... he links it to such activity, it's to be seen if that really was the cause or something else got him sick.

Also I really don't know if such episodes are actual time track or just "implants". Or even "mock-ups". And with implants I include deep beliefs implanted by the society, which may even be recreated and brought forward in the gestation period that creates the software which makes our body evolve (there's a term in History of Man for that, I just forgot it...). You don't need to go to an implant station, if they even exist (I doubt), to get your mind fucked up. You just need to tell stories like in Shyamalan's The Village (I've heard that movie sucks, doesn't it?), watching a horror movie, or even reading a book. Ron would say you need Pain-Drug-Hypnosys. Actually you need just to play on fears and make them larger and more real than they actually are.

RJ 67 to me though is really a trap or a stupid move. If something needs a Clear to be discussed, you don't anticipate the stuff to normal people. Hubbard went as far as to write a script for a movie on such "episodes".
The guy at a certain point definitely went berserk. There are lectures though which are very good and that can contain powerful data to improve one's life.

It would be really nice to understand wheter there is a "cutoff point" where is tech, ideas and general sanity degraded. Or if actually he was constantly moving from "genius" to "insane". It is a very common thing, especially in artists, but also in many people which the society makes successful.
It should not be the footprint of an OT, that is for sure ;)

Ali.G

Patron

Thanks for the suggestion, if we can zero in on the lecture, I guess it might be an interesting one to listen to.
The stuff above makes sense. It just may be complete bullshit, so don't quote me on this, but isn't there some sort of Objective Processes in OT1? Or is it done 100% on the meter?

ChuckNorrisCutsMyLawn, I sincerely find your embedding bad videos in a thread that has a completely different purpose to be rude and offensive.

I was asking for Ron's lectures, here you are not just linking, but embedding spoofs of the man and of the Church. What is the connection with what I've asked and what is your purpose? It is completely out of context and you use the tools this forum gives in a sick and perverse way.

I believe anybody can express his ideas, but it must be done in a polite way.

What do you believe you have achieved with your post? Will you have more friends? Are you freeing people?

If you wanted to achieve the above, you could simply discuss, if what you say is the truth, your view will prevail. Putting videos in this case is trying to convince us with force.

Moreover this thread is in Scientology Technology, now tell me how spoofs can get inside this section.

Your post has been reported, if somebody else doesn't like it as well, I ask people to consider doing the same.

I have confidence in the forum administrator, let's see what will happen.

Once we deal with this act, I hope we will turn back to the original focus of this thread.

First of all they are not spoofs, they may seem like spoofs since Hubbard was batshit crazy, but they are Hubbard in his own words.

You asked for L. Ron Hubbard lectures and I gave you the only ones I felt are worth listening to. If your intentions were to have the members of this message board "cherry pick" through Hubbard's lectures and use out OT powers to guess which one of Hubbard's lectures happen to be agreeable with you. You should have just went through them yourself, instead of asking for opinions on a subject you are clearly not capable of handling.