What's new

My in and out story part 1

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Great story Free to Shine!

I probably know you - I did much the same - came from another country toUK in 1967, was there all the way through November 1971 when I went away to Flag ship Apollo. Was staff at WW originally, then AOSHUK.
I used to type and print all the GO issues (except of course the really confidential ones). Jane Kember used to scare the crap out of me.

I also remember walking miles into East Grinstead and then out to where I lived in Forest Row. In the snow, rain and good weather.

I also remember a foreign student doing to the same to me. Our stories are so similiar it is unreal.

My parents are declared. I have two siblings still in and one missing in action.

Maybe one day I will write my story.

Look forward to reading more. :yes:

Ozzie

Wow! Nice to meetcha. I've sent a PM. :happydance:
Yeah Jane scared me too. I was in and out of that office so fast! :nervous:
That's an awfully long walk to Forest Row....

ozzie

Patron with Honors
Good luck Bea on your meeting with your Dad!!!

And Free to Shine - sent you an answer.

Wow - small world! - yep was a looong walk to Forest Row.

Ozzie:thumbsup:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Free to shine,

Thanks for telling your story. It's heartbreaking.

I wish you all the best! :)

You know I never considered it heartbreaking. Now perhaps, in some ways. The loss of innocence, teenagehood and young adulthood. I do consider some of the stories I have read here to be truly heartbreaking, the ones younger than I was. Some of them have made me cry for sure.

Part II is still to come. I am having a long coffee break. :) The later stuff is what really did me harm.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I have remembered something I would like to add before Part II. During my time at Saint Hill I had a short relationship with a wonderful man, Motty Arnstein. He was staff on SH FDN. One day he told me that we had to break up as he was so terribly PTS and felt he would soon die. Shortly after he was hit by a truck walking into East Grinstead from Saint Hill and he died a short time after. I still feel this happened due to his state of mind. He deserves to be named to honour him, instead of leaving him a nameless statistic. Bless you Motty for the sunshine you brought into my life, albeit so brief. :hattip:

Last edited by a moderator:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Part II

PART II

Why did I stay involved? I have asked myself that question so many times. Perhaps it was because in my formative years it was presented as the only possible solution, and I wasn’t mature enough to question that. I was already indoctrinated with the belief that any other road than Scn was a dead end and not worth looking at. And of course to do so would bar me from my road to Total Freedom. I didn’t want to take a chance.

The thing I wanted most from my involvement with Scn was to ‘regain my personal power’. Well now I can’t think of anything that could lead me further away from that goal than the road I travelled. It’s been a long one. :melodramatic:

In 1978 I returned to the country of my birth, though a different city. As I had blown staff in the past I was ineligible to join again, without a lot of ammends anyway. So I started the amends. This consisted of volunteer work for CCHR and the local Class 4 org GO, mostly typing as it was something I could do efficiently, and recruiting, which I was lousy at.

I married again and was pregant in 1979. The CCHR work was mostly done in a tin shed in the backyard, and during the summer months this was hell on earth with temperatures over 30C. I did that for a year and a half, did my Student Hat and petitioned to be able to join staff, and it was OK’d, so joined the GO, pending final security clearance.

In April 1980 the org was burnt down, which was a tremendous shock. It then operated from 5 different houses for quite some time. My memory of that time is one of great team spirit and making things go right, against the odds. There were some good people there. We all finally moved into new org premises in the city.

I worked until the day my baby was born and luckily was granted 5 weeks maternity leave! When I returned to post there was a big flap with everyone in the GO being blasted as DB shits and M4ing Simon Bolivar. I remember feeling really sick, holding a newborn baby late into the night trying to get checked out.

With both of us on staff, the only way we survived was my husband moonlighting, as most often there was no pay or something ridiculous like $5 a week. I was allowed to bring my baby on post with me for a short time, and although I know now I was lucky to have time with him, it was extremely difficult. There was no running water or facilities and trying to keep him quiet was almost impossible. I was allowed to work only days during those months but then was ordered to be on post for the fulltime schedule, which was 9am – 10.30pm with Sunday afternoon off. I had no support of any kind and the stress was so great that my husband blew in order for us to survive. He was almost expelled at this point but managed somehow to come back part time. I found day care for my infant, something I had never wanted to do.

I was not OK’d on a security clearing to hold the post I was then on, because of my past staff blow, and was demoted. I still had to cope with a baby on post after day care hours were over, and study, and I was desperately unhappy. I was too far in to leave, though I wish I had.

I remember one time there was a Garrison Mission and still being on post at 1am with a small baby screaming, trying to pass a White Glove inspection. This went on for a week. My baby was getting sick very often, running fevers and hardly sleeping more than 2 hours at a time. I decided I had to leave, but was handled to stay with reduced hours, ie I went home at night. Immediately my son started to sleep and wasn’t so sick. My husband was able to start minding him sometimes, and that reduced the pressure on me.
However one day my toddler pulled a cup of hot tea onto his arm and face while I was distracted on post, resulting in a 3 day stay in the Hospital Burns unit. I was devastated and became even more highly stressed for his safety and our future. :bigcry:

Yet again I was persuaded to stay, supposedly for the greatest good and I was put in charge of setting up a huge international event, which took 5 months to organise. I fell pregnant again, yet managed to pull it off with a lot of blood, sweat and tears. I was a physical and emotional wreck after that and was very concerned about my physical state, as was my doctor, and I finally decided that the health of both my children and myself was more important than anything else. Woohoo for a flash of sanity!

I CSW’d for a LOA at 5 months into my pregnancy. The result was an SRA I had seen delivered to other people, and had never envisioned being on the receiving end of. I was screamed at and reduced to rubble by someone I had considered a surrogate mother, and totally caved in.

However I also walked out, early 1982! :happydance:
I had a healthy baby and became a real mother for the next few years.
Until Part III.

moontaco

Patron with Honors
Thanks for sharing your story. It seems heartbreaking to me, too, and very arduous. I'm sorry about your friend Motty.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Part III

I wasn’t declared that time either. There were a lot of attempts to get me back, but somehow I avoided it. :coolwink:

In 1989 I was approached to help start a Scn school. This was a button for me, still somehow blindly believing that Scn held the answers and I wanted my kids (I had 3 small ones by now) to have study tech. No-one else had been able to see the set up for an operating school through to it actually being there. The woman who started the school had had some Type III incidents in the past, had been babysat at least twice and was an illegal PC, yet was the only person who actually had the guts and drive to make it happen, so I supported her.

Somehow she pulled it all together, had a school, students and a teacher and was working on the final legal requirements. She always knew she could not stay, but was determined to get it going. Needless to say her past created considerable difficulties with the school community and the whole scenario descended into the most disgusting and absurd situation that could possibly be imagined. I would never have thought it possible to see sane people involved in so much 3rd party, KR writing, hysteria at nothing and the resulting chaos.

I am not going to say any more about that, other than during my involvement I started to become very sick. I had high fevers, lost a dramatic amount of weight and my legs actually began to turn inwards at the hip. I did seek medical treatment, but no-one knew what was happening to me, and I carried on nevertheless trying to establish the school in an atmosphere that can only be described as total lunacy. I was very, very sick within a few months, yet no-one cared. I remember having to carry a small chair with me, or crutches, so I could walk, and eating little while coping with this nightmare, plus trying to be a mother to my 3 kids.

It all finally came to a head and the school community split in two, and I was removed from post by ABLE and the other group took over and changed the name and totally wiped out any reference to how the school was really started and by who.

With great relief I walked away, for the last time. :happydance:

I received no help or support, let alone thanks.

The woman who started the school was Comm Evd and found guilty of everything under the sun except starting a Scn school! I owe her no favours, but that does not sit well with me.

The fallout continued for many months after that, during which time I finally found a doctor who had me in hospital within days and I had both hips replaced. I was diagnosed with a very severe degenerative disease, almost died during the operations and I cope with it till this day.

It takes some of us a long time to get a message, doesn’t it?

To finish my story, well…I recovered. I lived under such stress for so long that it has only been in the last few years that I have found myself, and like myself. I am happy doing what I do now and can finally be the artist I really am. Yes I did get sucked into an interview here and there and endured many, many phone calls trying to salvage me. However because of family still connected I faded away rather than exited with a large fanfare.

It has helped to write this, and I hope it helps someone else too.

moontaco

Patron with Honors
Thanks....I hope he is happy now, wherever he is.
Me too. :yes:

I just read your last post....You've been through so much! I can't find the right words...I mean, they seem insufficient. Anyway, I'm glad you're happy now and can pursue your art. I hope your children are doing well.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Yep, I'm doing fine, at last. My kids are grown and doing well too, and I use my personal experiences to hopefully help others now. As I said, sometimes it takes a long time to wake up. :)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I have remembered something I would like to add before Part II. During my time at Saint Hill I had a short relationship with a wonderful man, Motty Arnstein. He was staff on SH FDN. One day he told me that we had to break up as he was so terribly PTS and felt he would soon die. Shortly after he was hit by a truck walking into East Grinstead from Saint Hill and he died instantly. I still feel this happened due to his state of mind. He deserves to be named to honour him, instead of leaving him a nameless statistic. Bless you Motty for the sunshine you brought into my life, albeit so brief. :hattip:

I remember Motty. As a result of that accident (I hear), the local council finally built a pavement (= US sidewalk) along that stretch of Turners Hill Road. It then became possible to walk to and from SH without taking your life into your hands each time.

Paul

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I remember Motty. As a result of that accident (I hear), the local council finally built a pavement (= US sidewalk) along that stretch of Turners Hill Road. It then became possible to walk to and from SH without taking your life into your hands each time.

Paul

Oh my goodness, someone who knew Motty. :bigcry:
I think I remember you too. :)
This is turning out to be much more emotional than I anticipated.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Oh my goodness, someone who knew Motty. :bigcry:
I think I remember you too. :)
This is turning out to be much more emotional than I anticipated.

I feel for your loss. Take some time. Take a break. Come back when you are ready again.

We love to hear from you. I love your posts.

Peace be with you.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I feel for your loss. Take some time. Take a break. Come back when you are ready again.

Peace be with you.

Bea that was a loooong time ago, it's ok. :) To be honest I don't think I can take a break just yet, I am glued here! The hardest part was getting my thoughts in order to write them down. Now I can just read and comment now and then. I love your posts too!

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Bea that was a loooong time ago, it's ok. :) To be honest I don't think I can take a break just yet, I am glued here! The hardest part was getting my thoughts in order to write them down. Now I can just read and comment now and then. I love your posts too!

Thank you. Well, its good to hear you are doing alright.

Every once in a while a past death hits me again. I thought this was one of those for you.

Have fun here. It can be quite entertaining!!!:thumbsup:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Who am I?

Peace be with you.

It's a month or so since I wrote that outline of my life. Posting here has been a tremendous help in getting a perspective on it all.

It’s really about “Who am I”?
I think this question takes a lifetime to answer. The fact that it is also the Enemy Formula makes me laugh, there is some truth to that, though not the way it is applied.

My formative years were spent in a totally unique situation and mindset that echo'd through my life. The element of ‘elistism’, the closed society of it, the dependence upon the group for any sense of self has long lasting effects. Until the lies and truth of that can be separated, how can one possibly know ‘who am I’? I spent over 30 years working on that.

It is only the last few years that I have found some answers. And they came from people with no connection to Scio, from people I would have considered nutters in the past. And I am ashamed of ever thinking that. The unconditional acceptance and support from strangers saved my life more than once.

For example I had never known anyone who was gay. We were taught that homosexuality was 1.1 and nasty and you would be stabbed in the back blah blah. Then I met someone who changed my viewpoint on that forever. The most wonderfully caring, empathetic, smart bloke you could imagine. I owe him so much, his gentle care gave me more love during a rough period of my life than almost anything I had ever experienced, when no-one else gave a shit. But how could that be??? I had to change my viewpoint from the judgemental indoctrination I wasn’t conscious of and come to see that people need to be looked at in the moment, for who they are. My friend was extremely funny (NOT in a 1.1 way) and as camp as you can imagine when he wanted to be, but also content with who he was. And he shared that gift and brought laughter and light back into my life. I will never forget him, though he only walked beside me on my path for a while.

And since I first wrote, I can also admit that if I had not kept my pregnancy secret back when I was 16 years old, my baby would never have been born. I didn’t know exactly why I kept quiet at the time, I just did, and then it was too late for an abortion. Now I can look back and see what a narrow escape I had, and commend myself for the courage to do what I did. I wanted that baby, and though things didn’t work out exactly as I hoped in the motherhood area, I know there is a beautiful, capable, wonderful person here because of that. If I had followed the group’s opinion, that would never have happened.